Menu

To put our cat down or not...

ARG he's driving me crazy! He throws up about 5-8 times per day, sometimes more. It's not hairballs or bile, it's gross food coloured stuff that stains, but thank God it doesn't stink! I'm just sick of cleaning it up and steam cleaning! He is blind and has a heart murmer, but these things have not bothered him. Recently, however, he has begun to take the stairs really slowly, like his joints are in pain. He's not meowing more than usual and apart from the slowness on the stairs, I don't believe he is uncomfortable or in pain, but who's to say. If I was throwing up that often, I'd be beyond miserable!

I'm bringing him to the vet next week, but part of me wants to just put him down regardless of what the vet says. But of course we all love him and would miss him. He's only 8 yrs old and apart from the throwing up, is a wonderful snuggly cat with a gorgeous coat of white and buff. I'm not one to get rid of a pet just because. I do believe we made a commitment to him when we got him.

The thing is, I get enough steam cleaning from my special needs son and his potty issues... I really just have had enough of the cleaning.

What would you do?

*disclaimer* I realize there will be lots of strong opinions on this topic, so please be nice. This is a little hard for me...

Pray.

Then follow your heart. You'll know whats best for the cat. It can't be pleasant to be vomiting several times a day, he's probably not getting everything he needs nutritionally, and dehydration is going to quickly become an issue.

He *is* a lovely animal...which is why he deserves the kindest thing you can do for him, which is praying and following what your prayers tell you.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

8 is pretty young however he does have issues if he has a bothersome heart murmur?

With that said I would first talk with the vet, it could be food related, gi related, so many different issues. Something as simple as a allergen dietary change could almost correct this for you.

He could be having organ issues though as well or teeth issues.

So many possibilites.

Exam first, maybe make a decision ahead of time how much financially and time wise that you are willing/able to investigate the possible problem so that when you do go in for the exam you are as prepared as you can be.

Hang in there.

Animals are very good at masking pain, so you just never know.

I have a 14 yo cat who was puking a lot and then her back legs stopped working correctly. I told the vet I wasn't going to put her thru a bunch of tests or procedures at her age and I just wanted him to put her down.

However, the vet said that it could be simply that she had an inner ear infection and was puking and staggering because she was feeling constantly dizzy. For about $130, he gave her a steroid shot (to immediately strengthen the legs) and an antibiotic shot (because I CANNOT get medicine into this cat) and she improved a lot.

Take your cat to the vet. It could be something very simple. If you're not going to pay to diagnose (with a billion expensive tests) or treat, then tell them up front so they don't try to sell you a bunch of tests.

But the vet might see something very simple you didn't know to look for.

Eight is not old for cat. Sounds like there's something wrong to me.

It's so hard. I didn't put my collie down when he went blind. Or deaf. Or slowed down. But when he started crying when he couldn't sense where I was I did. Not because I didn't want to be with him, but because he was upset and stressed.

I took one of our cats to the vet a few months ago because he was throwing up a lot and was losing weight. The vet took an Xray and did bloodwork but everything looked normal. We were also sent home with a special diet to try. Then as I was watching him eat one evening he looked like he was chewing funny so I had my dh help me hold a flashlight and look in his mouth. There was a bloody place on his gum so we took him back to the vet. It turned out that he needed to have two teeth pulled and we had his teeth cleaned at the same time. He's like a new kitty now!

I hope you can take him to the vet...but based on our experience I'd suggest that you have the vet look carefully at his teeth first (before agreeing to other tests) especially if he's never had a dental cleaning before.

Oh goodness. :( I know that a cat vomiting can really suck, but I could not live with myself if I put him down for this issue alone. If the blindness and heart murmur are an issue, then I would consider it. I have put down an incontinent 14 year old cat in renal failure. I have, right now, a 13 year old cat who vomits all the time. We have hardwood floors, so the cleanup is easy.

I am definitely not judging you...just thinking I couldn't personally make that choice for that problem. Is there any chance of re-homing this cat? Has the vet ever see her for this particular problem? She may have something like acid reflux that could be medicated. Also, changing her diet or feeding her in smaller quantities more often each day could help. Cats are stupid and will gorge themselves if given an endless supply of food.

Could it be his food? I ask because last year I tried the hairball control and indoor formulas of dry food on my cats (I, too, hate cleaning cat yak!). It wasn't until we were on our third or fourth bag of the hairball stuff when my dh made a comment on why did I keep buying it when the cats yakked more after eating it. Interestingly, he had made the connection! I stopped feeding them the hairball stuff (and, as guilt by association, we stopped the indoor formula, too), and the frequency of yakking went back down to an occasional event.

If it's not a food thing, then I would have kitty checked out. It could be an easy fix, like a dental problem, or it could show something more sinister, but at least you'll know.

Trust me when I say that I feel your pain. Sending positive thoughts your way. It's so hard, I know. :grouphug:

ARG he's driving me crazy! He throws up about 5-8 times per day, sometimes more. It's not hairballs or bile, it's gross food coloured stuff that stains, but thank God it doesn't stink! I'm just sick of cleaning it up and steam cleaning! He is blind and has a heart murmer, but these things have not bothered him. Recently, however, he has begun to take the stairs really slowly, like his joints are in pain. He's not meowing more than usual and apart from the slowness on the stairs, I don't believe he is uncomfortable or in pain, but who's to say. If I was throwing up that often, I'd be beyond miserable!

I'm bringing him to the vet next week, but part of me wants to just put him down regardless of what the vet says. But of course we all love him and would miss him. He's only 8 yrs old and apart from the throwing up, is a wonderful snuggly cat with a gorgeous coat of white and buff. not one to get rid of a pet just because. I do believe we made a commitment to him when we got him.

The thing is, I get enough steam cleaning from my special needs son and his potty issues... I really just have had enough of the cleaning.

What would you do?

*disclaimer* I realize there will be lots of strong opinions on this topic, so please be nice. This is a little hard for me...

Why are you waiting so long to take him to the vet? It sounds from your description that this has been going on for several days at least. He sounds as though he's very uncomfortable, if not actually suffering. I would take him in to the vet tomorrow and find out why he is vomiting 5-8 times per day! Address the euthanasia issue after you at least find out what is wrong with the poor guy.

If I were in your situation with this cat.....take him to the vet. Get him checked out for everything. Change his food to an all natural cat food such as Nutro brand food and keep him inside for a while. Try to see if what he is eating is making him sick.

My cousin had a cat and she was sick all the time. She was wanting to put this cat down and the vet said no. The vet wanted to do an x-ray. X-ray was done and they found fake flowers in the stomach of her cat. So surgery was done to remove the fake flowers and then she was fine after that. Of course she removed all the fake and real flowers from her home. She has been fine since then. :)

My cat throws up if she spends too much time outside. Our solution was "Keep her inside from here on out"....she hasn't thrown up since. She is also on a Natural cat food called "Nutro" brand. It really works with her and she loves it. No upset stomach or hairball issues. I still have to keep her inside though.

Not sure why she was throwing up but must have gotten into something outside.

Holly

While I am not totally in favor of putting a cat down when he could have a longer life, this is FAR more humane than what many people would do: dump him, make him stay outside when he's not used it it, take him to the animal shelter, put him on Craig's list, whatever. So, sure, feel bad; but not too bad. :grouphug: I know how you feel.

:grouphug:

it sounds like your plate is full. and like you're doing a lot of cleaning. it can't be easy.

i'm glad you are taking the cat to the vet. maybe there is an easy fix, maybe not.... but at least you'll know.

maybe its time for some laminate flooring? anything that will make it easier for you is worth considering!

ann

Blindness, heart murmur, vomiting....they might all be related...or not. 8 is a little young to consider hyperthyroidism but it is a possiblity, or kidney disease. Hypertension? I would want to see him sooner than later, like today. Get a good physical exam, CBC, scan and abdominal film if you can afford it and then make a decision. It might be that he has something highly treatable or not but a good vet will try to help you make an educated decision as to what is best for you and your pet.