Menu

coffee during pregnancy....

there is still an IF in my mind about being prego....even though a dollar store test was neg 2 dats ago.........so as i sip coffee.....

do youcold turkey DROP all coffee when you might be or are prego????

i knew with dd i was prgo and stopped....

ds i still had some...couple times a week....

Most recent research out there has not found harmful effects with moderate coffee consumption. The reql question is what would be considered "moderate." I think the studies I saw stated 1 - 2 cups a day. I know that I avoided caffeine because I suddenly become more sensitive to it. My hands started to shake, I would sweat profusely and just be anxious. I though - well, if I am feeling this way and the baby is likely getting roughly 20x's more per lb of body weight, this can't be a good thing:). I am also an "err on the side of caution" kind of person when it comes to pregnancy - mostly because nothing has been proven safe for the unborn (not finding harm is not the same as proving safe.)

I love my morning coffee...I'm on my way to get my first cup, but I passed the computer and saw this thread :)

My Doc (in Utah no less) said it was fine in moderation. He even joked that up until the late 50's, doctors often suggested a cup or two a day to promote regularity.

Wasn't an issue for the first 2 months of my pregnancies as coffee was downright nauseating. Even the smell sent me.....It was one of the first ways that I really knew I had a healthy pregnancy (with both miscarriages, coffee didn't bother me...).

Hi,

I still had 1 cup of coffee a day while pregnant. My midwife said it was fine and would not harm the baby. In her words, the biggest concern with caffeine is that it's an appetite suppressant, which obviously isn't good for a growing child inside of you. Also, for those that drink soda, she said it's an empty filler and empty/wasted calories, ykwim? My youngest is only 6 now, so I would assume her information is still current. Hope this helps.

Susan

1-2 cups of coffee is fine. I drink sodas, which have about 1/3 the caffeine that coffee does. I try to keep myself at 1 soda a day (sometimes 2) and figure it's fine. Interestingly, the risks seem to all be in early pregnancy. Current studies have shown that 3-4 cups of coffee in late pregnancy actually resulted in fewer preterm babies that were larger than their counterparts. Although the difference was not statistically significant. I tend to have really big babies anyway, so at 30 weeks, I'm less worried about how much I'm consuming. HTH

I did quit cold turkey. And I worked for Starbucks, with about a 9 shot a day habit. So I definitely wasn't in the "moderate" category to begin with! I've heard people express more concern over the chemicals used to decaffeinate (Swiss water process excluded) than caffeine. Honestly, I was probably overly cautious.

Coffee started smelling like bad tuna when I was pg, so I stopped drinking it (and discouraged DH from drinking it at home, and he's a pot-of-coffee-not-cup kind of guy). Otherwise, I probably would have stuck to the 1-2 cups moderation rule.

Coffee started smelling like bad tuna when I was pg, so I stopped drinking it (and discouraged DH from drinking it at home, and he's a pot-of-coffee-not-cup kind of guy). Otherwise, I probably would have stuck to the 1-2 cups moderation rule.

Along with the all day sickness, coffee started smelling like cat pee, so it wasn't that hard for me to stop. I drank coffee all day. I didn't start wanting coffee again until baby was 2. Now I just drink a cup or two when I get up.

I do remember later on the pregnancy that coffee smelled normal again (when I'd get tea from Starbucks), but I didn't crave it.

Prior to ds2, I never drank coffee, but did drink tea and occasionally soda. I stopped cold turkey with ds1.

But, I actually started drinking coffee while pregnant with ds2. I was wiped out and it was the only way I could keep up with my extremely active ds1 at time. I was told it was fine in moderation and I tried to stick to latte's so I would at least get in a little extra milk with it.

The only problem I ever had was a clerk at Dunkin Donuts giving me a hard time about drinking coffee while pregnant. :glare:

I tend to drop/add foods based on cravings and aversions. I'm of the opinion that most people, given that they are in a state of adequate health/nutrition with access to good food, should listen to their cravings in moderation, because they're telling you something. I usually can't drink coffee during pregnancy from weeks 6-12 -- can't even stand the smell -- but drink it prior to and after that time without a lot of limitations.

I have never given up coffee completely for any of my pregnancies. It is not in the best interest of myself or anyone around me. I just have 1 cup in the morning, full caffeine. On a very rare occasion, I have a cup after dinner (usually holidays).

This wasn't a problem since I wasn't an all day coffee drinker. I have soda maybe 4 times a year, so there was nothing to give up there.

Wasn't an issue for the first 2 months of my pregnancies as coffee was downright nauseating. Even the smell sent me.....It was one of the first ways that I really knew I had a healthy pregnancy

:iagree:

I give up caffeine when I'm ttc but my oldest was a surprise pg and I simply could not understand the sudden coffee aversion until I got the BFP. I even had to get my work supervisor to move the office coffeemaker away from my desk because the smell was bothering me.