Menu

How to overcome not caring for fiction (personally)?

Thankfully, I've still managed to instill in my kids a love of books by using curricula that emphasize "living" books all along. Personally, though, I have a hard time making myself spend time reading fiction. I'm in a classics book club, with the hope of providing myself incentive and motivation, but it still feels like I don't have time with everything else that needs done. I don't always finish the books, but I always enjoy the ones I do. I tend to read nonfiction: books and articles on education, Christian living, and the Bible (with Proverbs being a favorite!) I'm currently studying Classical Greek, and I'm also a CPA, if that gives you more insight into my personality.

I want to change this, though! How can I develop more of a love for fiction? Is it just a matter of doing it until the love comes? :confused::D Maybe if I was more convinced of it's value and kept this in mind. (I *know* it's valuable, but I must need to be more convinced??)

Can anyone relate? Any advice? :bigear:

I don't know about advice but I feel exactly the same about nonfiction. I've learned to read it over the years and even have found some nonfiction that I enjoyed and would recommend but I still have to make myself read nonfiction because I know it's good for me. I won't say I enjoy it now but after effort, I do have more appreciation for nonfiction and I don't cringe or run when someone recommends a nonfiction read.

Some things that have worked for me are being selective and giving myself permission to walk away after reasonable effort.

ETA: In finding value, my perspective on nonfiction was always it's use as a tool. Why would you read a nonfiction book when you could just skim, get the necessary info and move on?

For me fiction is a window on the world - a way to experience life outside myself, to learn empathy, understanding, to walk in another's shoes. I love the mental role play.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

Perhaps you just haven't found your genre yet. What kinds of books have you started and then discarded? If you started with Moby Dick or something like that, I could see why you'd discard it. It's a BIG fish...er...whale to tackle!

If you like things more based in reality, perhaps historical fiction of some type? What kinds of nonfiction subjects appeal to you? Start there when looking for reality based fiction.

Perhaps you are a short stories person? There are lots of short story anthologies out there. Short stories tend to be disregarded, but some of the best literature being written today is less than 10,000 words. They are also much easier to fit into a busy schedule.

OR...Just accept that fiction isn't your thing and continue plugging away at the stuff you love reading. You are not deficient or lacking something just because you don't enjoy made up stories. Reading should be enjoyable. Don't choke down something you don't enjoy just because other people seem to enjoy it. ;)

:001_smile:

I agree that you may not have found your genre yet. Personally I love,love nonfiction. I can't get enough of biographies and history. So, when I read fiction I want similar topics - I tend to read a lot of historical fiction that focuses on a particular character. It also helps if the time period of the fiction is a time frame I am interested in to begin with. Some classics are tedious to read so they may not be a great way to build up your love of fiction. I have also found myself underwhelmed with modern fiction. I get tired of the sex and foul language.

I feel the same way about fiction, but I don't let on to my kids about it.

They think that I'm just too busy to read anything but homeschooling, Bible and practical materials, but truthfully I really feel like I'm wasting time with fiction and I avoid it by choice. I've tried--it just isn't my thing.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about it, not everyone has an interest in fiction. =) I read summaries and discussion questions about the books they're reading online so we can discuss a little, and expect that I'll have to continue that through MS and HS. It is working fine for us at this point!

Edited by homeschoolally

I tend to read a lot of historical fiction that focuses on a particular character. It also helps if the time period of the fiction is a time frame I am interested in to begin with.

I agree. Some of my favorite books are Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin novels. The main characters are fictional but the world they inhabit is full of historical nuggets regarding the Napoleonic Wars, focusing on the Naval battles and the life of naval officers and crewmen. The Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell are good if you are interested in what was happening on land during the same era.

Both of these series follow the careers and lives of their respective characters and you get to know them really well. They become sort of like old friends you spend some time with every day while reading. AND you learn a lot about the time period as well...as both these series are impeccably researched.

My oldest daughter is much the same way. She had never had much tolerance for reading fiction but has read most of the non-fiction section at our library. I began to search for fiction books about whatever her current non-fiction love was. She does like historical fiction or things that she can relate to something that she has already read about. She has however now started reading Harry Potter and that has ignited a fire in her and now she can't get enough of those. One of my favorite novels of all time is called My Thomas by Roberta Grimes and it is a fictionalized diary/account of the life of Thomas Jefferson's wife, Martha. Very little is known about her and I found this book fascinating. I was getting ready to play her in the musical 1776 and I found the interweaving of fact and fiction just lovely.

My daughter does like to listen to fiction as her read-alouds so maybe try an audio book. Maybe if you just had to listen to the story, you might enjoy it more.

I love to read but sometimes a good audio book is just what I need. I spend a LOT of time chosing what I think I'll like and it usually works out to my enjoyment. There is nothing so good as a talented audio narrator! I have a Audible membership and I listen to LOTS of samples before I chose just the right book and narrator that I will like.

I REALLY enjoyed listening to Dracula recently!

I love to read fiction. A lot. I read and read and read and read.

Before I can help you out, I need to know a few things:

1. Why do you feel that you need to read fiction? It's not really good or bad for you. It's just there. You might not even need to bother going further. Reading fiction is largely for pleasure, so why make yourself miserable if it's not pleasurable?

2. If you have decided that you do need to read fiction, what books have you tried? If you've only read classics, then no wonder you hate reading. They're hard to read. They're written in a style we no longer use and it's tough to read them.

3. What movies do you like? If you tell me some of the types of movies you like, we readers can probably give you titles of books in the same genre. For example, if you like romantic comedies, we can come up with some easy-to-read romantic comedy books that might get you started.

:iagree: I find it easier to get into a book that I might not normally read if I listen to it on audio. I have the opposite problem. I have a really hard time reading anything other than fiction. I have read a few books on education and child rearing but mostly i skim through those and just glean some info.

1. Why do you feel that you need to read fiction? It's not really good or bad for you. It's just there. You might not even need to bother going further. Reading fiction is largely for pleasure, so why make yourself miserable if it's not pleasurable?

:iagree: Perhaps it is narrative you feel you need? There's plenty of that in the non-fiction section. Think of all the travel writers! There's food travel writers, in search of my ancestors travel writers, books by war correspondents, and other odd things like a book I read where a woman went searching for colours. That really made me appreciate different shades of white :D

Rosie

Are you saying you want to like fiction, or you're good not liking it?

If you want to try some fiction, what about fiction about religion, perhaps, since you already like to read about religion. Have you enjoyed non-fiction books like The Hiding Place, for instance?

Chaim Potak writes fiction about Judaism. The Chosen is a great book, and so is Davita's Harp. Well, I love everything he writes, but those are two of my favs. Esp Davita's Harp.

What about something like The Bronze Bow? It's children's fiction, but about Jesus. It's not a story recorded in the bible, so it's fiction book, not that Jesus is fictitious. lol Maybe you would like to read it to your children? I loved it. And I am not even Christian. :)

Maybe you would enjoy fiction based on real events or actual periods in history?

I think maybe you are trying to enjoy "classics" and just havent found the right popular novel to addict you! I have to "make" myself read classics too.

I don't read many novels at all because if I am not totally hooked in the first few chapters, I don't read any furher. And if I am hooked- well, forget feeding the family, forget a normal life, until the book is finished.

With my kids...rather than preread classics, I read aloud the ones I want to discuss with them. I read a lot of things I wouldn't normally get to, because of reading them TO the kids.

I see you've received quite a few recommendations to try historical fiction, which may be a great place to start if you're interested in finding some fiction you like (or think worthwhile).

Otoh, perhaps you should go completely out on a limb & find some wonderfully zany, wild, & creative fiction -- something that will be, in many ways, the polar opposite of non-fiction. One of the joys I find in fiction is the amazingly creative, astounding, & imaginative worlds to which some writers can transport you. There is beauty in imagination & opening your eyes to worlds never before seen.

A few books that immediately pop into mind are The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Sleeping in Flame, books by Terry Pratchett, and books by Kurt Vonnegut.

I tend to read nonfiction: books and articles on education, Christian living, and the Bible (with Proverbs being a favorite!) I'm currently studying Classical Greek, and I'm also a CPA, if that gives you more insight into my personality.

Can anyone relate? Any advice? :bigear:

The Memoirs of Hadrian by M. Yourcenar, written as a first person and you have to pull yourself up to remember it is fiction. If you like the middle ages, try The Abyss by her. About a alchemist/physician who gets caught up in the purges of the Middle Ages. All very cerebral.

While researching online for information to include in her report, EK found these articles:

Those Who Read Fiction Better at Reading People

Want to Live Longer? Be Wealthier? And Happier? Here is the One PROVEN Secret: Reading!

Why Read Fiction?

Prof Finds Fiction-Readers Do Better In School (This article actually applies more to kids than parents.)

Don't be too hard on youself. You are reading, homeschooling 3 kids, working as a CPA, being a wife and mom. Your plate is pretty full. You are reading what is relevant to you right now. I personally love fiction but haven't been reading much of it because I have been reading educational books, reading aloud to my kids, working part-time, homeschooling three kids, being a wife and a mom.

If you really feel the need to read fiction right now, find a book that you can read aloud to the kids, then you can discuss it with them. That will help give you accountability to stay up on the reading and a great time with your kids. This is the only way I have found time to fit in the fictional stuff in this season of life.

Cindy

I, too, feel the same about non-fiction. I guess my advice would be to keep trying different books. If I find an author that really moves me, I try to read more by them as well as look for books on Amazon that others read that liked the first book. I also like reading books based on true stories...my kids love stories that people write about their childhood or families.

Don't feel like you have to like a certain type of reading. Just enjoy reading!!! I have tried to like non-fiction and I just feel like I'm trying to convince myself that it is a good thing for me to do like exercise, obstaining from sugar, etc.

I finally just said, screw it and read what I want!

• 3 weeks later...
I love to read but sometimes a good audio book is just what I need. I spend a LOT of time chosing what I think I'll like and it usually works out to my enjoyment. There is nothing so good as a talented audio narrator! I have a Audible membership and I listen to LOTS of samples before I chose just the right book and narrator that I will like.

I REALLY enjoyed listening to Dracula recently!

I've listened to several free audio books from Librivox.org! Audio books work out well for me because I can listen while I cook, get ready, and work around the house!

While researching online for information to include in her report, EK found these articles:

Those Who Read Fiction Better at Reading People

Want to Live Longer? Be Wealthier? And Happier? Here is the One PROVEN Secret: Reading!

Why Read Fiction?

Prof Finds Fiction-Readers Do Better In School (This article actually applies more to kids than parents.)

Thanks! I look forward to reading these articles!

Thanks for all the replies! I apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread! I'm taking a Classical Greek class at a local university and, boy, is it time-consuming!!

Your replies have helped! I listened (guilt-free) instead of reading Little Men for my book club and enjoyed participating in the discussion. I haven't read much recent fiction, but I do enjoy the classics that I have read. Masterpiece Theater is one of my favorite shows -- it's especially fun when I've read the book and dh hasn't!

I think my issue has more to do with time and how to spend it. There's so much to do, so I don't feel I have time to sit down and read often. However, I find time to spend at my computer -- it's the first thing that comes to mind when I have some free time! If I were to figure out how much time I spend on the computer, I'm sure I would consider it too much and see that I do have time to read after all. The next thing would be to give myself permission to read when there is always something that seems more pressing, but your posts have helped with that!

Thanks again! :) The next book club book is The Painted Veil by Maugham. It's not at Librivox.org, so I'll have to make time to sit and read it. I hope it's a good one!

The next book club book is The Painted Veil by Maugham. It's not at Librivox.org, so I'll have to make time to sit and read it. I hope it's a good one!

I haven't read it, though I've heard it is really good. I absolutely loved the movie of The Painted Veil (but I've heard it is somewhat different than the book). If you have time to see the movie after reading the book, I'd definitely recommend it.