Menu

Can we talk sewing machines?

My sewing machine bit the dust. My husband gave me the nod to buy what I want...he even threw in the number $1000. I don't WANT To spend that...but I know it's an option. I'm a fairly beginner sewer but want to do more. I haven't because I get so aggravated with the 'issues' that go with having a trash machine.

My seamstress friend mentioned Bernina and Viking. She has both.

Are there any particular models you recommend? What are the features of that model that make it worth the money for you?

I got my daughter (13, beginner sewer) a Viking and she/we love it.

It has enough bells and whistles (different stitches) to keep her happy, plus it is super super easy to learn to use.

You can also trade it in and get credit towards a fancier model when you decide to upgrade.

If you can I would go to a store that has them so you can try sewing on them. That is what we did and it really helped us make our decision.

I searched the market for many months and chose a Babylock....really like it - easy to use, reliable and what a step up from my 30 yr-old Viking...today's machines are 'computers with a needle'. I heartily recommend them- several models- a good range of prices.

I have a Bernina 930 I bought new probably 25 years ago. It has a good selection of stitches for both woven and stretch fabrics, but no fancy electronic stitches with pre-programmed discs and stuff that I see today. It basically does what I need it to do and has common sense features without a lot of bells and whistles I don't need and wouldn't want to pay for!

I have a Brother Innovis QC 1000. And I love it!!! Hands down it is the best machine I ever had. I was really torn between this one and the Viking Sapphire. I went to both dealers (across town from each other) a couple different times and played with both. The Brother really won me over. It is such an easy machine to use, has a huge work area, and is also embrodery capable. '

My first machine was a Viking Husky Star. It was also an excellent machine - especially for the price. It would have been more than adequate IF I didn't want to quilt. But, the small work area made quilting very frustrating.

I have a Janome that I love. I spent about $700 and it sews circles around my $100 Brother. Just remember that you get what you pay for. My old machine while really cheap used to make me cry. Check out patternreview.com forum. They have a sewing machine board that may help you narrow down choices.

I have a very old Pfaff......over 25 years i believe, but not sure since I bought it used and I have had it for 23 years at least..

Anyway walking foot is a deal breaker for me. I would not have a machine with out it.

Best advice is not what you buy, but where you buy it. Find a local trustworthy shop and see waht they have. Often time s you can get free classes to learn how to use your new machine.

They often have used ones available as well.

Janome!!

I have 4 sewing machines, a serger, and a coverstitch machine set up in my sewing room and love each of them for their own reasons. With that said, if I were to go out and buy a new sewing machine today - I'd buy a Janome (I have 1 Janome sewing machine that my kids use and 1 Janome coverstitch machine). :)

Well, I have a computerized Bernina and I absolutely love it. Of course, I also have a dealer less than 5 minutes from my house and I cannot believe the incredible service I have gotten from them every time something went even slightly amiss (I sew A LOT and put tons of wear and tear on my machine). Definitely consider how the servicing will go and take that into consideration when purchasing. And whatever you do avoid plastic parts like the plague!!

If you are going to be a busy seamstress, go for the best machine you can get for the allotted price.

My mother (a seamstress) got a machine back in 1979 that was considered outrageous in price by many, however that baby is still running TODAY and Mom sews almost all her clothes on it. She had one minor repair once that I can remember.

As far as brand goes, Mom swears by Pfaff but she does not live in the U.S. and I don't know what the price range of those are.

A girlfriend of mine loves her Bernina and is sewing a lot.

Another plug for Janome. I got mine when I was expecting my first baby, in 1996, and I still love it. I paid about $700 for it at the time. A similar machine would probably be near $1000 now. It is so easy to thread, and fill the bobbin, and change stitches. The auto-tension always works. There are many attachments available for it (a walking foot is very handy for sewing thick or multi-layers).

My dd learned to sew on it at age 7, and never had any trouble with it. It just always works. :)

I'd also recommend that you check out Pattern Review. There are tons of reviews on there for machines and a discussion forum as well where you could post and read about this very topic.

Just for the sake of adding another alternative to your choices, you may want to consider the option of an old, all metal machine. They don't die easily, and they're cheap.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. I have a Janome, Bernina, and Viking dealer pretty close to my house (30 mins away..which is close for where I live) so I might go and visit them today and see what I think. I am getting a lot of recs for Janome. I don't think I NEED a high dollar machine for making dresses here and there, honestly, but my husband and my friend do...hmmm. I'm a gadget girl so I like electronic stuff so that part is intriguing me.

Wish me luck!

What do you sew? Mending, clothes, quilts, home dec (meaning heavy fabrics)? How often do you sew? Daily, weekly, whenver something needs mending? That can make a difference on model to recommend. For $1,000 you can get way more sewing machine that you need for simple occasional tasks. I sew quite a lot.....several times a week, more if I'm lucky. I make a lot of my daugthers' clothing because we have a hard time finding appropriate stuff anymore....I also love to quilt....and I've done some curtains/drapes, pillows etc for around the house. If "I" had $1k I'd get a simple sewing machine and an entry level embroidery machine! Or, sense in my case my sewing machine is just fine, I'd put the whole grand into an embroidery machine. Oh the dreams!

Bernina, Janome, Viking are probably the best of the best brand wise, but do some research because each company has winners and losers. Be sure that when reading the negatives you know what they were trying to sew....no sense worrying about someone complaining that it couldn't sew through 2 layers of canvas to make sails for their boat, if you plan to make party dresses and rompers.