Menu

7th grade math...what are your kids using?

sadiegirl

My 7th and 8th graders are using Teaching Textbooks Algebra...right now we are on lesson 44 and 7th grader is finding it a bit hard. What kind of topics in math are your 7th graders working on now and for those of you that do achievement tests each year, what is the focus on 7th grade test questions?

thanks

Calvin is using LOF Beginning Algebra. He doesn't do any annual testing, but will be doing entrance tests for private school in November. These will be based on the British National Curriculum, so we are covering some necessary algebra topics this year using So You Really Want to Learn Maths Book 3.

Laura

my current 7th grader is completing LoF Beginning Alg. and Rod & Staff 7 at the same time (he really needs the practice in the other skill areas). He LOVES LoF. Honestly, it transformed his entire attitude about school.

My upcoming 7th grader, a math lover, will use Chalkdust Algebra in 7th grade, as she will have completed MUS Algebra as a pre-course for Chalkdust. She would die with LoF b/c she does not enjoy reading.

My 8th grader completed MUS Algebra and half of Dolciani in 7th grade. This year, he's finishing up Dolciani and will begin Chalkdust Algebra 2 for 9th grade.

I know I mention a variety, but my dc are different learners and while I could get away with the entire lot when they were in elementary years, i.e. I could teach all of them from every perspective and learning style, time and sheer volume of studies prevent me from such immersion now. As a result, I've had to diversify and assign according to individual strengths and weaknesses. Pain for me, but producing the results we want.

We're using Glencoe Mathematics Applications and Connections Course 3. It is an 8th grade text. We are doing everything in the book over 2 years, 4 days a week. Math is not her favorite subject, but it is mine since I have a math degree. I have considered looking at LOF Pre-Algebra because she'll be doing Rainbow Year 2 next year which is about 20 weeks of Biology. She is a huge reader, so she might enjoy the format. I do not know until seeing it if we would use it alone or not.

My oldest was in ps for 7th grade. She took a class labeled as Algebra I there, but it was actually "How to use a graphing calculator." She came out of the class not knowing how to do things as basic as graphing y=x+1 on paper. She only knew how to plug things into the calculator. We repeated Algebra at home the next year with Jacobs.

My middle dd finished Singapore 6B in 6th grade. She did Kinetic Books Algebra I and Jacobs Elementary Algebra together in 7th grade. She switched between books at the end of each chapter. She got through chapter 8 in each book by the end of 7th grade. At that point, she decided that she liked KB better and dropped Jacobs. It took her all of 8th grade to finish KB Algebra I.

My youngest was working in Singapore 5B, but was having too many frustrations with fractions, decimals, and percents. I switched up our program and we will continue with what we have for this year and next year (and it may take part or all of 8th grade to finish). She does better with an amount of time for math rather than a quantity of problems or number of lessons. She is using Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, Key to Percents, Key to Algebra, and Lial's Basic College Mathematics. She uses one book each day for 25 minutes. She also does 5 minutes from a different book each day. This means that she hits each topic at least 2x/week and if we end up missing a day or two because of school holidays (we follow the ps calendar) or illness, she still hits each topic at least 1x/week. I wasn't sure how well this would work out, but she is doing much better. She comes back to each topic frequently enough that she hasn't forgotten how to do it. The presentation is very good. She hasn't yet come to anything new, but she does have better understanding than she did. My dd is dyslexic, so she needs constant review. My other girls didn't.

ITBS 7th grade math skills (categories from the 7th grade test my middle dd took two years ago)

The number is how many problems there were in that category.

14 number properties and operations

8 algebra

5 geometry

4 measurement

4 probability and statistics

11 estimation

18 problem solving

(3 single-step, 10 multi-step, 5 approaches and procedures)

12 data interpretation

(5 read amounts/compare quantities, 7 relationships and trends)

math computation

4 add/subtract whole numbers

4 multiply/divide whole numbers

5 add or subtract with fractions

6 multiply/divide fractions

4 add/subtract decimals

5 multiply with decimals

3 divide with decimals

Before the algebra and geometry problems get you freaked out, realize that on the 6th grade test there were 7 algebra and 5 geometry problems, so they aren't high school level.

I guess what my concern is since we are doing strictly Algebra 1 is that he may not retain some of the other math areas that we did last year in 6th that might be covered on an achievement test. We also do a math workbook called Real Life Math but I am thinking that it might be a good idea to incorporate another math in with our schedule just to keep both boys fresh on those skills as well. Would there be a math site that you would recommend that we could use as a refresher course and just be something used as a supplement?

My seventh grader is using Foerster's Algebra I. The chapter titles are:

1. Expressions and Equations

2. Operations With Negative Numbers

3. Distributing: Axioms and Other Properties

4. Harder Equations

5. Some Operations With Polynomials and Radicals

6. Quadratic Equations

7. Expressions and Equations Containing Two Variables

8. Linear Functions, Scattered Data, and Probability

9. Properties of Exponents

10. More Operations With Polynomials

11. Rational Algebraic Expressions

12. Radical Algebraic Expressions

13. Inequalities

14. Functions and Advanced Topics

Before beginning Foerster's, she completed Rod & Staff Math 8 and Dolciani's Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Course.

I guess what my concern is since we are doing strictly Algebra 1 is that he may not retain some of the other math areas that we did last year in 6th that might be covered on an achievement test. Would there be a math site that you would recommend that we could use as a refresher course and just be something used as a supplement?

Your concern is valid.

I didn't have my ds do algebra 1 in grade 7 because I KNEW he would forget many basic math skills that he'll need for his upcoming High School Placement Exam for Catholic Schools.

We'll be using CLE math 801 lightunit which reviews all of CLE math 7 while doing Saxon algebra 1 prior to the exam in Oct.

I recommend a test prep book prior to any timed test. Most dc aren't use to timed tests and that can drastically reduce their score IF they work slowly. There are timed test strategies that they need to learn.

For 7th grader-we're almost finished with ABeka 7 (couple more weeks) and moving on to Chalkdust Pre-Alg or Alg depending on the Scope and Sequence (I think we've already covered the pre-alg in ABeka 7) and continuing with LOF & Dolciani as a supplement. At least that is the plan for now. :)

Edited by 2cents

I recommend a test prep book prior to any timed test. Most dc aren't use to timed tests and that can drastically reduce their score IF they work slowly. There are timed test strategies that they need to learn.

Calvin and Hobbes each do a timed test in maths every week, covering the standard curriculum, so that they will be ready for private school entrance exams in November.

Laura

My 7th gr dd is a little more than midway through Saxon Algebra 1/2. It takes her a while to complete the homework, but the learning style fits her. She needs short lessons and repetition. Except for a brief change at the beginining of the year, she has always used Saxon.

We started the year with Chalkdust Algebra. It did not work for us. Each video lesson was too long, and we did not like the textbook. In fact, I have a brand new barely used edition that I would love to sell. (I bought it before I saw the threads on how to buy CD used.)

for those of you that do achievement tests each year, what is the focus on 7th grade test questions?

thanks

Last year my 7th grader was doing Singapore 6A/6B. He is also strong in basic math facts, which is where we spent the time rather than getting to 6A/B in 6th grade.

I worried about testing & added in the lessons from NEM-1 on negative numbers.

He scored sky-hi on the Iowa Basics in 7th and said there wasn't one negative number. I think strong basics are more important than wide exposure on standardized tests.

Julie