Menu

What are some of the smartest things you've ever learned about food?

I'm really on this healthy eating kick. I'm driving my dh a bit bonkers though. He will get over it soon I hope. Of course he is hoping I'll get over it soon. :lol:

So for my question. Some of the things I've learned over the last 40+ years are:

It is okay to leave food on your plate.

It is okay to have a slice of cake for breakfast every once in a great while.

It is okay to eat 6-8 small meals a day instead of the Three Squares.

It is okay to eat something when you are hungry.

It is not okay to have soda 6-8 times a day.

What have you learned about food that is different from the "norm."

Have you seen Michael Pollan's new book(let)? It's a great little guide with smart, little things to know about food. It's based on his earlier book In Defense of Food in which he finds the rules really boil down to these three ideas: Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly Plants. I bought it mostly so my kids could read it since I get tired of them thinking I'm the only one with healthy eating ideas. It's a great defense of what I've been doing for years at our house.

My favorite smart thing is this "Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Eaters-Michael-Pollan/dp/014311638X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263401613&sr=1-1

When planning meals, think of the colors of the food. Orange-colored fruits and veggies have essentially the same vitamins, as do dark, leafy greens, etc. So plan a meal with a variety of colors.

Have plenty of fresh fruit and snacking veggies for hunger cravings between meals. My kids always know they can eat a piece of fruit of eat celery sticks and carrots for snacks. And it doesn't spoil their appetite before a meal.

Don't keep junkfood in the house. You can't break down and eat it if it's not there!

Drink water for a beverage. Wherever I go, people think I'm being mean when I order/ask for water for the kids' drink, but the kids love it. And it teaches them a good habit. Let's not forget to drink it ourselves, too!

Talk about making good choice at meal times. We've done this from the start and my kids will say "no thank you" when people offer them candy and sugary treats. They have learned to make good choices.

And yes, it's okay to have special treats once in a while. If you have it every day, it's no longer "special."

Bon Apetit!

Have you seen Michael Pollan's new book(let)? It's a great little guide with smart, little things to know about food. It's based on his earlier book In Defense of Food in which he finds the rules really boil down to these three ideas: Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly Plants. I bought it mostly so my kids could read it since I get tired of them thinking I'm the only one with healthy eating ideas. It's a great defense of what I've been doing for years at our house.

My favorite smart thing is this "Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Eaters-Michael-Pollan/dp/014311638X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263401613&sr=1-1

Yup. If you can't tell what it is or easily see what it used to be, do not put it in your mouth.

One of the best things I finally learned, just last year, is that food is fuel for your body, not a reward or a punishment.

I learned the reward/punishment view of food as a child. Sweets as a reward, eating vegetables/foods I didn't like as a punishment.

No wonder I've always struggled with my weight. :tongue_smilie:

I've also learned that it is *very important to foster a healthy relationship with food for my children. We talk a LOT about good food choices, how food affects our bodies, health/nutrition, and moderation.

* I was reading a book on the Desert Fathers and came across something Evagrius said, something to the effect of: Gluttony is obsession with food. A glutton, who may actually be thin, is someone who obsesses about food, and puts it on a high pedestal and dwells constantly on food and on what he will eat.

* Ben Franklin's contribution: Eat less. Chew more .

Edited by mirth

Cook in cast iron pans (unless your iron levels are already to high).

For me personally, having my acupuncturist teach me how to eat according to which foods are "hot, neutral and cold". It's given me some control over my health issues.

Most importantly I've learned from my dad, always have fresh beans, mole, and tortillas in the house. Offer your food to everyone who comes by. Life is SO MUCH BETTER when you invite a friend in to sit and eat and talk and laugh over some simple spicy food.

I just know I was so happy when my childhood idea was proven right. I always thought that it was silly that we needed eight cups of water a day. It turns out we need approximately 64 ounces of liquid but that includes eating foods with liquid in them. So not drinking much water is fine as long as you drink other things and eat juicy things like oranges.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Expanding on Michael Pollan, he also lists some things to not eat or to be wary of:

1. Anything with high fructose corn syrup

2. Anything prepackaged product with more than 5 ingredients

3. Anything with ingredients that you can not pronounce or define

Things I have learned on my own:

1. Homemade pancakes, biscuits and muffins are cheaper, healthier, and more filling than breakfast cereal.

2. Hunger is not necessarily a bad thing.

3. A pound of apples is cheaper, healthier, and more filling than a pound of (insert favorite junk snack)

4. It's ok to not eat a meal if you are not really hungry.

5. The fen shui (sp?) principle of colors at a main meal produces a healthy and visually appetizing meal: Something Red, yellow, green, black, and white.

6. If you make one healthy substitution at a time, over the course of your life, you eat better and better without any stress.

Eat food that "remembers" where it as been or what it is...really nothing new to add:

Eat whole foods.

Drink water.

Have a bit of wine in moderation.

If you want a piece of chocolate, eat a little bit; but eat THE BEST you can find, the darkest you can stomach (70%+ cocoa), and savor it.

Learn to make your own bread.

Cook fresh.

Buy produce that is in season. Plan your meals around what is fresh...make this the starting point, not the other way around.

Don't center your life around food...it's fuel.

99% of meals should NOT be feasts.

Let the feast days be FEASTS -- cook BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL food for feast days and you'll appreciate the difference! (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc...)

Edited by BikeBookBread

What have you learned about food that is different from the "norm."

Oh, I've got lots of those! :lol: But for me the main one is, contrary to popular opinion, grains are not an appropriate food source. When I stopped eating them, chronic digestive problems and allergies that I had struggled with for years disappeared within a matter of weeks. I do not believe that our digestive systems were ever meant to handle them in significant quantities, and certainly not as the foundation of a food pyramid. I've got lots of other crazy subversive ideas to, like animal foods and saturated fats are good for you, but sugar and HFCS are not. This is especially funny coming from a formerly sugar-addicted vegetarian. But experience has, eventually, taught me what my body can and can't handle.

Oh, I've got lots of those! :lol: But for me the main one is, contrary to popular opinion, grains are not an appropriate food source. When I stopped eating them, chronic digestive problems and allergies that I had struggled with for years disappeared within a matter of weeks. I do not believe that our digestive systems were ever meant to handle them in significant quantities, and certainly not as the foundation of a food pyramid. I've got lots of other crazy subversive ideas to, like animal foods and saturated fats are good for you, but sugar and HFCS are not. This is especially funny coming from a formerly sugar-addicted vegetarian. But experience has, eventually, taught me what my body can and can't handle.

Heheh. And I've learned that diet does not come in "one size fits all" ;) I do need a certain amount of grains or I am not a happy camper, and it doesn't take much animal produce to give me a belly ache!

"Your body doesn't need food. It needs nutrients."

My soul needs food, even if my body doesn't! My mother used to know a woman who didn't eat. She took supplements and hunger suppressants. That sounds so incredibly BORING to me, but Mum said she was slim and gorgeous. I wonder how her body handled doing it for decades though. Anyway, I still think nutrients in food are better than fake ones in pill form.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

My soul needs food, even if my body doesn't! My mother used to know a woman who didn't eat. She took supplements and hunger suppressants. That sounds so incredibly BORING to me, but Mum said she was slim and gorgeous. I wonder how her body handled doing it for decades though. Anyway, I still think nutrients in food are better than fake ones in pill form.

Rosie

Oh, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I should probably clarify my post. I didn't mean that we oughtn't eat food! I just meant that we should think about the *nutrients* in the food we eat, not just eat to fill our bellies. Potato chips and Dr. Pepper taste great, and fill me up, but they provide very little nutrition, and would be a poor choice for a regular diet.

Oh, and my soul needs food, too. Oreos are really good for my soul! :D

Oh, and your mom's friend can keep her supplements and her hunger suppressants. Home cookin' is much more satisfying (especially if someone else did the cooking!) :)

Food and love should never be confused.

and

Garlic is not an enhancer, it covers up flavors.

a

Oh my gosh, you just described the first and most passionate year of my marriage!:D

Food+love+garlic=babies in our house (with a few chilies and some good music mixed in there).

I was carpooling with my mom at the time, I would get in her car in the morning and she would get so mad at me. She said I reeked.

Oh, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I should probably clarify my post. I didn't mean that we oughtn't eat food! I just meant that we should think about the *nutrients* in the food we eat, not just eat to fill our bellies. Potato chips and Dr. Pepper taste great, and fill me up, but they provide very little nutrition, and would be a poor choice for a regular diet.

Oh, I knew what you meant, you just triggered the memory of that little anecdote so I thought I'd share. :)

Rosie