Menu

Puberty & Girls question, women only please:)

Just wondering...

Hypothetically, if you happened to have a daughter that began sprouting hair in odd places around age 8 (arm pits and ahem, down there)...

Also, let's say you might be seeing the start of breasts now that she's 9...

When would you expect the menstrual cycle to start? Is it still years away?

Also, when would you expect puberty related behaviors to start and what sort of behaviors would you expect?

I'm just wondering if all the emotional drama coming from the 9yo might be explanable:) She is reasonably happy, but then becomes an emotional crying mess over little things. She's frequently and easily offended. I remember having the start of breasts around 10/11, and my 1st cycle around age 12. My mom, however, was age 9 when her 1st cycle hit:(

my oldest had hair down their at age 7, it wasn't dark, just looooong blonde hair. And her pits were blonde 'fur' (like a baby's back). She didn't start till right before she turned 13. She didn't have breast 'buds' until 9 or so, but she did have... pre-buds? She was a skinny girl too (still is), so it wasn't extra weight or anything.

ETA: 'hormonal' behavior started when she was about 7 or 8.

Edited by secular_mom

So true. My dd started developing at 8/9, and she has had one period so far (last summer, age 11, while she was away at camp, natch). But emotionally, she seems to be on a 45-day schedule right now.

:lol:I have noticed the emotional cycle too. We have had it for a couple of years now. I can remember the first time she cried over nothing. I was like:001_huh:. It caught me totally off balance. I notice an emotional cycle far before anything else. KWIM

Well, all of my girls so far have started along these steps at 8/9 and their period started at 11 except for the 13 yr. old who didn't start until she had just turned 12 and I think that was because she was extremely thin. The youngest is 10 now and appears to be right on target. I have found that the really emotional cycles eased up once their cycles were regular - about one to one and a half years. Of course, occassionally every girls in the house get PMS at the same time which is tons of fun. :glare:

I started 'hair' at age 8 and my . at age 9. We drank raw organic milk.

My middle dd followed the same pattern and started at 9. She is allergic to milk.

My grandmothers both started between 9 and 10. My mom was lucky she was 16--just a few months before she married my dad!

Oldest dd was a TWIG (still is) and started at age 12 (on her birthday too:001_huh:)... middle dd started the following week... DH used to refer to their cycles as 'H3ll week' because often I would sync up too!

My youngest dd is 7 --turning 8 in a few weeks--she is getting her 'buds' and a sprig of hair....sigh, one more year if I'm lucky! Hopefully she will wait until one of her sisters moves out--I don't think DH could handle all 4 of us at once!:lol:

do you drink RGBh free milk? I do think the growth hormone in that milk is what caused our dd's precocious puberty. If you can, switch to RGBh-free milk.

I think birthcontrol was the cause for my dd, got pg while on the depo shots. Does your dd get the monthly injection? We do, this is our last year. Got diagnosed at 2, shots started shortly thereafter. Wee Pip my endo. dr. said that the cycles usually start within 2 yrs of puberty onset. I personally am not looking forward to this, and must say I feel like bad mom as we have not even had a talk about that particular change in her body.

I agree with the PP that said something like "It could be any day, or it could be years."

DD#1 was skinny as a rail (though far from bald) and shocked us when she started at 11.

DD#2 seemed developed beyond years, but started at nearly 14

DD#3 looks and acts like she could start any second but nothing yet at age 11.5. Here's what's funny, though...because she is anxious to start, and knows she should be prepared, she has little pads tucked everywhere and has for a couple of years. Every coat pocket, backpack, vehicle glovebox, and purse has a couple of pads. You know, just in case. LOL Cracks me up, because she carries the pads along with her swiss army knife and matchbox cars.

I have always heard (and don't know if this is accurate or not) that one can gauge when you get your period *around* when your mom gets it. Don't know if that's true or not but as far as having breasts - I got them in 2nd/3rd grade but didn't get my period until I was 13 so...for what it's worth...

Just wondering...

Hypothetically, if you happened to have a daughter that began sprouting hair in odd places around age 8 (arm pits and ahem, down there)...

It's just the timing that's odd right, not the places? ;) I'd be much more concerned if my dd was sprouting a beard. Now, THAT would be an odd place! :D

Well, all of my girls so far have started along these steps at 8/9 and their period started at 11 except for the 13 yr. old who didn't start until she had just turned 12 and I think that was because she was extremely thin. The youngest is 10 now and appears to be right on target. I have found that the really emotional cycles eased up once their cycles were regular - about one to one and a half years. Of course, occassionally every girls in the house get PMS at the same time which is tons of fun. :glare:

According to your siggy, that's A LOT of PMS!! :D

Just wondering...

Also, when would you expect puberty related behaviors to start and what sort of behaviors would you expect?

I'm just wondering if all the emotional drama coming from the 9yo might be explanable:) She is reasonably happy, but then becomes an emotional crying mess over little things. She's frequently and easily offended. I remember having the start of breasts around 10/11, and my 1st cycle around age 12. My mom, however, was age 9 when her 1st cycle hit:(

My dd was EXTREMELY emotional at 9yo. She would go into hysterics over the smallest things, run away and wail and weep and gnash her teeth. 9 was a very emotional year for her. I think it's normal to get that way at 9, though. I remember, at the time, I asked the same question here on the boards, and someone recommended a book about 9yo girls. I don't remember the name of the book, but maybe someone else remembers. I didn't get it because I figured, "If it's common enough that someone wrote a book about it, I guess we'll just ride it out." (Lazy, I know). :)

Anyway, she's 13 1/2 now, and is *much* more controlled. She only had those outbursts for about a year. Later, she started developing around age 12. She's very lean, though, so not very curvy. We're still waiting for menses.

Just wondering...

I wouldn't expect it to be years away. Have you/she spoken with her doctor?

Also -- isn't there some fat requirement before menstruation begins?

We are in the thick of the emotional issues with the 9yo part. Most days she is an angel. The others, watch out, she hates life and anything that happens to be in her life at the moment. No real signs of physical changes yet. I started the month I turned 11, so I figure she will probably follow the same pattern.

I had the beginnings of hair at 9 & 10 (it's a little hard to recollect exactly), and my cycle didn't show up until two months after my 13th birthday. My mom nor I recall much emotional stuff before age 11 or so.

My dd, on the other hand, is 9, shows NO signs of anything physically, but totally has a bit of the emotional stuff going on, I'm beginning to suspect.

Just wondering...

Hi Sarah,

My dd is 10 1/2 and her breasts "began" budding when she turned 9! Her ped (who's been practicing at least 25 years) said at that annual visit that her breasts were beginning and AFTER pubic hair starts....it's about 1 year from that.

So, I'd say NOW...

I've been plannning to buy some beginner pads at the strore to have on hand, b/c with my dd I can't imagine it'll be much longer.

Behavioral....yep, now!

HH! :tongue_smilie: Sheryl <><

Edited by sheryl

My dd was about the same age when all those thing you mentioned happened. She was 1 month shy of 10 when she got her first period. The hormonal issues are ones you need to be very understanding (and firm) with because I feel they will set the tone for how she will deal with them for the rest of her life. Its hard for everyone because they don't really 'get' the hormonal pull and swing and have very little control over them.

Oh, and she always had organic dairy. I think its genetic. Do you know the history of the women on your dh's side of the family?

Just wondering...

Well, my oldest started puberty at age 8 but didn't start her cycle until almost 12, so almost 4 years. Middle daughter showed no signs of anything until 10 or so, and got her first cycle at exactly age 12, so only 2 years. I think there is really no hard and fast rule. Every girls body does what it's going to do in its on time. Not much help, but there it is. :)