Menu

Motels... Don't they expect you to take shampoo home?

I read this news article today... Women Steal More Than Men... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582169,00.html...

and it said:

<<...surveys reveal women are consistently more likely to pilfer than men. Women are most likely to souvenir shampoo bottles, soaps and towels.>>

Would they really leave out those little wrapped bars of soap for the next guest (not knowing if someone had coughed on it or whatever)? Do they re-fill shampoo bottles? I can't imagine! (That they do or using one some stranger used in the shower!)

To me, soap and shampoo are "freebies" included with the price of the room. Towels- no. We re-use the little shampoo bottles for traveling. They are not a "souvenir," but a way to recycle.

I'm sure if we knew the nitty gritty of where sheets and blankets and soaps had been, we wouldn't want to stay at a motel ever again!

--

UPDATE:

For those who didn’t notice my post on p. 2:

I found the rest of the article. <<"Bathroom amenities are okay to take, along with pens, slippers and pads,,,>> It seems consumables are to be taken as we thought. I have no idea why they listed shampoo and soap as if they were "stolen.” The article contradicts itself.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/travel-advice/when-stealing-from-a-hotel-is-ok/story-e6frg413-1225816512241

Edited by mom2abcd
Update

It would not occur to me to think of using hotel shampoo and soap and whatnot as recycling.:001_huh: But yes, those things are put out in the rooms for the guests to use. I usually bring my own, but I have no qualms about using the stuff the hotel leaves out.

I think what happens (I used to work in a hotel, way back when) is that people who stay for several days pocket the shampoos and soaps everyday so housekeeping has to replenish each day. They use one bottle/bar and then pack the rest.

Okay, that makes sense. I usually use up what's there if I'm there for a few days (as if it happens often :)). but on leaving I'll pocket what's left thinking it would just be tossed anyway. I wouldn't be building up a stockpile like you described.

My husband is on the road for two weeks each month and he brings all those little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and soaps home. My teens take some. Most go to the Rescue Mission. He usually travels in Asia so he brings home some really neat little products.

I read this news article today... Women Steal More Than Men... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582169,00.html...

and it said:

<<...surveys reveal women are consistently more likely to pilfer than men. Women are most likely to souvenir shampoo bottles, soaps and towels.>>

Would they really leave out those little wrapped bars of soap for the next guest (not knowing if someone had coughed on it or whatever)? Do they re-fill shampoo bottles? I can't imagine! (That they do or using one some stranger used in the shower!)

To me, soap and shampoo are "freebies" included with the price of the room. Towels- no. We re-use the little shampoo bottles for traveling. They are not a "souvenir," but a way to recycle.

I'm sure if we knew the nitty gritty of where sheets and blankets and soaps had been, we wouldn't want to stay at a motel ever again!

That didn't look like the whole article, just a snippet. It ended with "Where do hotels draw the line?" I have always taken home shampoo and soaps. Never towels, etc. I do think that the shampoo is complimentary and is mine to do with as I please: wash my hair, wash out a t-shirt, or take-home. I also can't imagine that health laws would allow refilling and resealing. ew.

I think what happens (I used to work in a hotel, way back when) is that people who stay for several days pocket the shampoos and soaps everyday so housekeeping has to replenish each day. They use one bottle/bar and then pack the rest.

Even so, you are paying for "new" soap and shampoo everyday. If you were not staying multiple days, others would be spending the night and getting the soap and shampoo.

I do not see how that can really be stealing. :001_huh:

Even so, you are paying for "new" soap and shampoo everyday. If you were not staying multiple days, others would be spending the night and getting the soap and shampoo.

I do not see how that can really be stealing. :001_huh:

Well, there are a lot of different lines you can take with that argument.

I don't really have an opinoin one way or another, except that I hate having the little bottles cluttering up my linen closet so I leave 'em. But I don't consider it "stealing" either. Just letting you know where this idea probably comes from.

When I was a maid at a hotel (back in college days) it was quite common to leave the unused shampoo bottles, soap, etc. in the room -- ready for the next customer. Hotels did not like us to throw out perfectly good (unused) complimentary shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. $$$!!! Whatever was taken by the previous tenant, of course, we would replenish. I found more issue over those who took off with a robe or towel from the hotel. (I worked at a hotel in Aspen, CO... rich tourists who stole robes. And the news is worried over shampoo bottles?) :glare:

Edited by tex-mex

Very strange! Every hotel I have stayed in has thrown away the once used soap and left a new packaged soap . every. day. :glare: The waste bothers me.

Yes, that was the policy of the hotel I worked at. We also did a turn down service and left a chocolate on the pillows at nighttime. Much like being a elf working mysteriously when you are out of the room... LOL.

I found the rest of the article. It seems consumables are to be taken. I wonder why they listed shampoo and soap as if they were "stolen"?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/travel-advice/when-stealing-from-a-hotel-is-ok/story-e6frg413-1225816512241

<<"Bathroom amenities are okay to take, along with pens, slippers and pads,,,>>

And then a poster shared this... Yuck, yuck, yuck!

<<I was a housekeeper years ago. I watched some others use the same cloth to wipe down surfaces in several rooms, including bathrooms, then wipe out the inside of the coffee pots.

I was told to wash the comforters about every 10 times they were used, which was bad enough, but we each had different rooms everyday, and no one kept track of when they were last washed. I never saw a comforter go to the laundry room. I asked around and was told not to worry about it, no one washes them.

Each room had a soft throw blanket, we were not allowed to wash it. If it became too dirty we just threw it away, but that rarely happened because it was a dark color and the stuff on it wasn't noticeable. We actually had to pay a fine if we tried to wash it. It was the only super soft blanket so practically everyone who stayed there wrapped up in it.

The housekeepers can have nasty stuff on their hands/gloves and carts from cleaning up hair (so so much hair), vomit, condoms, bathroom accidents, and everything else, then they grab your towels.

Sometimes people would stay in our rooms for s*x parties. The room would end up covered in condoms, semen, and everything everywhere. I would NEVER use one of those crusty towels found in those rooms no matter how many times it was washed.>>

Perhaps because they've read this. :lol: Okay, I know that's not a true story, but it's funny.

I take the shampoo if I've used it, but nothing else. The soap seems a waste but I don't bring anything to carry used, unwrapped soap in.

:ack2:OK, That is absolutely disgusting.

All those poeple who might wipe their butts, not wash their hands, and then twist off those screw tops to wash their hair??? I feel feel ill and I am not even exaggerating. How absolutely unhygienic! All those dirty lotion and shampoo bottles and whatnot left in *a bathroom*.

Could this be one reason people often get sick on cruises? Who knows how many people have fallen ill touching all these little bottles that are left patron after patron. Yuck! I really had no idea they didn't put out new ones new each time. They can't possibly sterilize all those little things each time. I had no idea they just refilled them.

Maybe they are not changing the sheets, either? I mean, most probably look clean, right?

Edited by LibraryLover

:

Could this be one reason people often get sick on cruises? Who knows how many people have fallen ill touching all these little bottle that are left patron after patron. Yuck! I really had no idea they didn't put out new ones new each time. They can't possibly sterilize all those little things each time. I had no idea they just refilled them.

Maybe they are not changing the sheets, either? I mean, most probably look clean, right?

I don't think that the ones with little stickies "taping" them down are reused... don't they purchase them that way??

I don't think that the ones with little stickies "taping" them down are reused... don't they purchase them that way??

I don' t know. I am going to ask the front desk next time. Pointedly. "Are the bottles in my bathroom new, or have they been refilled". I hope they tell me the truth.

I have my own toiletries, but every now and again one forgets something, but it looks like it can cost you.

Edited by LibraryLover

some things we're better off not knowing. I will promptly put out of my mind the posts regarding unhygenic practices in hotels. If, by chance, this information persists in my mind, I will counter it with a strong assertion that most bacteria don't live long on dry surfaces. I will continue to enjoy my infrequent hotel stays.

I will not put the shampoo bottles in my mouth or rub my face on the comforter.

some things we're better off not knowing. I will promptly put out of my mind the posts regarding unhygenic practices in hotels. If, by chance, this information persists in my mind, I will counter it with a strong assertion that most bacteria don't live long on dry surfaces. I will continue to enjoy my infrequent hotel stays.

And don't smell your fingers after you twist the tops off. :confused:

I stay in a hotel about once a month. This is freaking me out.

I always assumed the little travel size shampoos, soaps and lotions were mine to keep. I asked for a toothbrush the last time I stayed, and they gave me one (I forgot mine). I wouldn't take an ice bucket, glass or towel, but I figured the toiletries were there for my convenience -- a gesture of hospitality.

I just saw something advertised on tv... that you take with you for "sheets" from home. I really think that taking something to put the comforter and blanket inside would be more sanitary.. (Kinda like a huge duvet cover) I hate to think of the nasty germs...

My husband takes a sleeping bag. I just figure mine will wash off of me when I shower.

I'm with you. Considering that the 'cleanest' houses are actually the least helpful for the general residents who grow up in them, I won't worry about motels. We've been staying in them for years and years without any issues at all that I can point to. Maybe it helps that we don't ever drink coffee nor use the coffeepots?

I think my resistance to common bugs has been built up nicely over the years. I haven't even had a cold in a long, long time. We camp, we stay in motels, and my own house isn't terribly clean, but I like it with the 'lived in' look.

And... with 5 of us, one of those little shampoo bottles only lasts for one day! Ditto the soap bars. We don't take towels or other things - sometimes a pen if we need one. I like motels that give you the option of not having fresh towels and sheets each day that you stay. I don't wash mine at home daily - why should I want a motel stay to be different? I do like to THINK the sheets and towels were fresh when we arrived. If not, what I don't know hasn't sickened me yet.

Most hotels have a nice sign that says "for your convinience take things like towels or robes as a souvenir and we will be happy to bill your credit card for them" and list their high prices. It isn't stealing as they charge you for them. But such high prices, and why would I want a towel that says a hotel name anyway?

I'm with you - my fingers are firmly in my ears and I'm singing, "la, la, la."

I don't want to know and I don't want to think about it. We stay in hotels quite often and I *love* hotel rooms. I especially like the hotels where everything is white, including the duvet cover. I'm sure that makes it really hard to hide things or not wash them.

I don' t know. I am going to ask the front desk next time. Pointedly. "Are the bottles in my bathroom new, or have they been refilled". I hope they tell me the truth.

I don't think someone at the front desk would know. I worked at the front desk and went into a room once, on my first day, but had no idea what went on as far as cleaning.

I do like the rooms that have a flat sheet under AND over the down comforter. I take the top cover and throw it in a corner. I have thought about calling hotels and asking them how they make the bed, but figure they won't know. It seems that hotels that usually charge over $125 per night, make beds this way.

I found the rest of the article. It seems consumables are to be taken. I wonder why they listed shampoo and soap as if they were "stolen"?

<<I was a housekeeper years ago. I watched some others use the same cloth to wipe down surfaces in several rooms, including bathrooms, then wipe out the inside of the coffee pots.

I was told to wash the comforters about every 10 times they were used, which was bad enough, but we each had different rooms everyday, and no one kept track of when they were last washed. I never saw a comforter go to the laundry room. I asked around and was told not to worry about it, no one washes them.

Each room had a soft throw blanket, we were not allowed to wash it. If it became too dirty we just threw it away, but that rarely happened because it was a dark color and the stuff on it wasn't noticeable. We actually had to pay a fine if we tried to wash it. It was the only super soft blanket so practically everyone who stayed there wrapped up in it.

The housekeepers can have nasty stuff on their hands/gloves and carts from cleaning up hair (so so much hair), vomit, condoms, bathroom accidents, and everything else, then they grab your towels.

Sometimes people would stay in our rooms for s*x parties. The room would end up covered in condoms, semen, and everything everywhere. I would NEVER use one of those crusty towels found in those rooms no matter how many times it was washed.>>

OK, wow, ew!

This type of stuff is the reason why I like Holiday Inn's new thing that they do. In order to be "greener" they do not clean and stock your room each day. IE: they do not change your sheets and towels every day and ask that you hang them to dry. If you request extra cleaning they will, but unless you request it you are expected to hang your towels to dry and reuse them and you will keep the same sheets your entire stay. If you stay more than like 5 nights they will then come in and clean and restock everything.

We love it because they do not come into our room so we don't have to worry about things coming up missing. :)

Perhaps because they've read this. :lol: Okay, I know that's not a true story, but it's funny.

I take the shampoo if I've used it, but nothing else. The soap seems a waste but I don't bring anything to carry used, unwrapped soap in.

I looked that up to post here! I LOVE that story. It is one that I will remember forever. :smilielol5::smilielol5:

This type of stuff is the reason why I like Holiday Inn's new thing that they do. In order to be "greener" they do not clean and stock your room each day. IE: they do not change your sheets and towels every day and ask that you hang them to dry. If you request extra cleaning they will, but unless you request it you are expected to hang your towels to dry and reuse them and you will keep the same sheets your entire stay. If you stay more than like 5 nights they will then come in and clean and restock everything.

We love it because they do not come into our room so we don't have to worry about things coming up missing. :)

Okay, but I really think they just want to save money by doing less, and label it "greener" to make people accept it happily.

ETA: Not saying the practice isn't better for the environment, just saying the green motivation is the color of money, not grass.

Although we don't wash towels after each use at home, we often have them do that at hotels. Why? Because at home, we don't have four or five people using one bathroom. If we all did use one bathroom, we also wouldn't have space to hand all those towels up to dry. Dh take shampoo bottles when he travels if he has shampoo left. He normally doesn't take the soap, especially if he used it but they often throw out the slightly used soap each day. I haven't gotten sick at a hotel. I did get very sick from food at a museum once but nothing has happened to us at a hotel.

Someone mentioned cruises. The cruise lines we have been on have hand sanitizers at the entrances to the dining areas. We make liberal use of those and haven't had any problems on a cruise.

Gosh, I love those down comforters with the sheets above and below. I always toss any quilt right into a corner. Blech.

However, I've noticed that more upscale hotels don't actually have bedspreads anymore. They just have those decorative 1/8 size coverlets at the bottom. Those go in the corner as well. ;)

I love a gentle smell of fresh bleach in hotel sheets and downs quilts. ;) We recently stayed in a Marriott with unbelievably plush bedding. Amazing. Feather bed, covered by a fitted lush sheet, with another lush flat sheet, all topped with a fabulous down quilt. Amazing. The pillows were white as fresh falling snow. I fell asleep almost the moment my head hit those divine feather pillows.

I don't think someone at the front desk would know. I worked at the front desk and went into a room once, on my first day, but had no idea what went on as far as cleaning.

I do like the rooms that have a flat sheet under AND over the down comforter. I take the top cover and throw it in a corner. I have thought about calling hotels and asking them how they make the bed, but figure they won't know. It seems that hotels that usually charge over $125 per night, make beds this way.

Edited by LibraryLover

Although we don't wash towels after each use at home, we often have them do that at hotels. Why? Because at home, we don't have four or five people using one bathroom. If we all did use one bathroom, we also wouldn't have space to hand all those towels up to dry.

We have five people using the same bathroom, and we have room all five towels to hang. ;)

Ew. ew. ew. I am hoping that not all places are like that.

We have five people using the same bathroom, and we have room all five towels to hang. ;)

So do we. My Grandmother had 6 kids and 1 bathroom so I feel I have nothing to complain about with 3 kids. Both of our bathrooms are small - can fit 2 people in at once if they're careful passing each other. We hang our towels to dry and reuse them all week before they get washed (unless they get unusually dirty).

Well maybe your bathrooms have more bars than the hotel bathroom. The hotel bathrooms typically have one bar over the tub while many home bathrooms have additional bars in other areas. If we are all taking showers, there is nowhere to hang an additional towel while the second person is taking a shower, let alone two or three more. I am asthmatic and others in my family are sensitive to mildew also so we prefer quickly dried towels and other wet things.

We also have never lived in a one bathroom home since we had a child, let alone three. We are used to that and have been for 20 years.