Menu

Parents arrested for not registering HS kids NY

A Montgomery County couple has been arrested on child endangerment charges for failing to register their children with the school district as they were home-schooled, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said Monday.

Richard Cressy, 47, and Margie Cressy, 41, both of the town of Glen, never registered their four children or their home-schooling curriculum with the local school district, said the Sheriff's Office.

The Superintendent of the Fonda-Fultonville Central School District confirmed the four children, ranging in age from 8 to 14, had not been registered with the school district for the last seven years.

more at jump

a

I posted this yesterday in the Homeschool Imposters thread. The Cressys live one county over from me. After reading that thread, I am wondering if the choice not to file paperwork was quite deliberate and political in nature. That's my current theory, anyway.

Edited by Saille
my own poor grammar

I posted this yesterday in the Homeschool Imposters thread. The Cressys live one county over from me. After reading that thread, I am wondering if the choice not to file paperwork was quite deliberate and political in nature. That's my current theory, anyway.

I'm sorry for the duplicate. I have not been reading that thread.

a

I think there must certainly be more to the story. Their oldest is 14, and they've been homeschooling for 7 years, then my guess is that this is the culmination of an ongoing issue between the Cressys and the district/state.

astrid

:iagree:

Actually, thanks, asta! It got more hits over here!

I agree that as long as compliance isn't too invasive, it must be done. Surely there is more to the story, as pp's have mentioned, and I always try to follow the rules as an example to my kids.

But here's the deal--didn't the police have someone else to arrest? Seriously? No bigger threats to society than the homeschool family? Wow.

Yes, but they were ARRESTED. No slap on the hand first? There MUST be more to the story. It couldn't be they are in jail over missing paperwork.

They're not in jail. According to the article they were "issued appearance tickets to appear in the Town of Glen Court at a later date."

This family may be refusing to register as a political protest. Civil disobedience is a valid form of protest ~ but prepare to be arrested if you break the law. Maybe they actually wanted to be arrested, to generate support and publicity for their cause?

Jackie

But here's the deal--didn't the police have someone else to arrest? Seriously? No bigger threats to society than the homeschool family? Wow.

Part of me agrees with your sentiment here, but another part of me argues that this is like saying it's okay for me to break the law as long as somebody else is breaking it worse than I am. ;)

I have to say that I have seen parents who were in compliance with NYS hsing laws still be harassed for not providing extra or filing out a particular form from a school district. They had an guardian ad litem [i think] assigned to their children and where going to court over it. So while there could be more than meets the eye [read parents are losers and abusive], or it could be what it is. I hated hsing in NY they told me they had never heard of Saxon and needed me to fax over the table of contents to make sure it was a valid curriculum [hey I spelled that right.:D ]

Part of me agrees with your sentiment here, but another part of me argues that this is like saying it's okay for me to break the law as long as somebody else is breaking it worse than I am. ;)

LOL, I see your point. I believe it's a rare instance where the law shouldn't be obeyed, and I am a compliant person so I can't imagine myself breaking the law. It just seems to me that at some point, unless children are being abused or neglected, there must be something more serious for the police to focus on with their limited resources.

I hated hsing in NY they told me they had never heard of Saxon and needed me to fax over the table of contents to make sure it was a valid curriculum.

Oh, for Pete's sake. Like they've heard of half the stuff we use...:001_rolleyes:

I really think it's all about plausible deniability. I don't get the impression that they give more than a cursory glance to anything I submit. As far as specific forms, I generally don't get my packet from the district until long after my paperwork is legally due. They'll take the form I send them and like it, AFAIC.

My DH, who rarely pays ANY attention to any of this stuff, actually commented on this story (actually pointed it out, to tell you the truth).

He was incensed. His take? If the kids weren't being abused, why were the cops there in the first place? It isn't like the cops are showing up at the homes of PS kids who are failing 3rd grade and accusing their parents of abuse.

What set him off was the gvt intervention aspect of the whole thing, not the "it's just a few pieces of paper, why not just do it" aspect. Everything starts with "just a few pieces of ____".

Paper, chads, silver, pick your poison. :cool:

a

It just seems to me that at some point, unless children are being abused or neglected, there must be something more serious for the police to focus on with their limited resources.

I do know what you mean! We recently got into a teency bit of legal trouble. When I told my dh about it, his response was, "Are you kidding me? All the gang shootings and drunk drivers in this city, and yet the police manage to find the time to write us a citation for forgetting to renew a dog license?!?" :svengo: Our justice system at work. :lol:

My DH, who rarely pays ANY attention to any of this stuff, actually commented on this story (actually pointed it out, to tell you the truth).

He was incensed. His take? If the kids weren't being abused, why were the cops there in the first place? It isn't like the cops are showing up at the homes of PS kids who are failing 3rd grade and accusing their parents of abuse.

What set him off was the gvt intervention aspect of the whole thing, not the "it's just a few pieces of paper, why not just do it" aspect. Everything starts with "just a few pieces of ____".

Paper, chads, silver, pick your poison. :cool:

a

Good point!

I do know what you mean! We recently got into a teency bit of legal trouble. When I told my dh about it, his response was, "Are you kidding me? All the gang shootings and drunk drivers in this city, and yet the police manage to find the time to write us a citation for forgetting to renew a dog license?!?" :svengo: Our justice system at work. :lol:

Oh no! That's exactly what I mean.

I'd never considered these situations until recently when my husband got pulled over one night....for the light bulb over our license plate being burned out. A light bulb. Sure was a wake up call.

For the most part, I think this a sure sign of how to know when a law shouldn't be made.

Most of the time, if one wouldn't think it right to bankrupt or jail a person for it, then I think it shouldn't be a law. Bc really all laws must boil down to that to have any power over individuals.

Drunk driving - sure

theft - sure

murder - sure

not submitting paperwork to educate your own kids - um no.

The Cressys live one county over from me.

They are one county over from me, too. Stepkid's mom read this story in our local newspaper on the same day my partner was contacted by Child Protective Services because his paperwork was not in order. Our school district repeatedly, endlessly loses our paperwork. The social worker was at my partner's house (where stepkid lives) this morning, saw the kid's books, asked what his favorite subjects are, and left, saying everything appeared to be in order.

I wonder if they got wiff of rebellion. Homeschoolers are known to be able to kick gov't butt. It wouldn't be hard to rally the troops and universally refuse to send in the paperwork.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
typo

I think there must certainly be more to the story. Their oldest is 14, and they've been homeschooling for 7 years, then my guess is that this is the culmination of an ongoing issue between the Cressys and the district/state.

I disagree. I can see a social worker and/or truancy officer freaking out after they discover four kids that have had no formal education for seven years. A child endangerment arrest means they take you down, book you, let you go, take you to court, and sentence you to parenting classes. It IS a slap on the wrist. Remember that thread about free range parenting when a couple of parents here reported being arrested for child endangerment, or having their kids removed temporarily, for stuff like letting a kid wander down the block? There's no firm boundary here; it's up to the discretion of the social worker. And it's entirely possible the Cressys got a social worker who thinks unschooling is child abuse and jumped on her chance to arrest such a family.

I've got to stick up for the cops here.

It just seems to me that at some point, unless children are being abused or neglected, there must be something more serious for the police to focus on with their limited resources.

Some one had to make the complaint before the police acted. Probably the school district contacted someone in administration at the police department. Admin sent the officer to issue the citation. The police don't/can't have the information needed to make an arrest in this type situation without being told by someone. The likely someone here is someone in the school district office.

Some one from the city department of dog license contacted someone at the police department with a list. The police official probably sat some poor officer at a desk and had him write citations for a couple hours. Sorta like we make our kids write thank you notes.

Oh no! That's exactly what I mean.

I'd never considered these situations until recently when my husband got pulled over one night....for the light bulb over our license plate being burned out. A light bulb. Sure was a wake up call.

You'd be surprised how many arrests for DUI and/or drugs or suspended license or registration happen because the driver was originally pulled for a light bulb being out. Not saying that your dh was doing anything wrong other than operating a vehicle with faulty equipment. But it does happen.

I actually tried to pull one for a rear light being out. He ran on a wet (it was raining) road, turned left lost control and plowed into a power pole. Then got out of the car and ran on foot. It took us hours to catch that fool. Want to know why he ran? He was scared. Not drunk or stoned. License and tag were good. He had no reason to run other than he was scared of the police.

Edited by Parrothead

You'd be surprised how many arrests for DUI and/or drugs happen because the driver was originally pulled for a light bulb being out. Not saying that your dh was doing anything wrong other than operating a vehicle with faulty equipment. But it does happen.

I have to agree with this. I lived at home while attending college and commuted, I worked in the same town where I went to school. Sometimes, I'd have late nights of working or studying (really, I was never a party girl). I *knew* if was driving home late at night that I would be pulled over for *something* because the cops are looking for drunk drivers late at night. I can't even tell you how many times I was pulled over but not cited.

Child endangerment should be the charge against a parent who sends their kids to one of these state run children's prisons known as public schools. This report is so unfairly biased and ridiculous that is almost too stupid to comment.:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Some one from the city department of dog license contacted someone at the police department with a list. The police official probably sat some poor officer at a desk and had him write citations for a couple hours. Sorta like we make our kids write thank you notes.

Well, I know exactly how it happened. My husband startled our old cranky terrier, and got a very nasty bite in response. We spent Christmas Eve at urgent care. And the doctors have to report all animal bites, and since the dog's license had expired, well there you go. I'm not saying they weren't justified in writing us the citation. But it is pretty irritating given that several years ago when someone shot out our dining room windows, the police were too busy to deal with it. :toetap05:

But let me be clear, in general, I have very high regard for police officers. They do a dangerous and often thankless job.

I disagree. I can see a social worker and/or truancy officer freaking out after they discover four kids that have had no formal education for seven years. A child endangerment arrest means they take you down, book you, let you go, take you to court, and sentence you to parenting classes. It IS a slap on the wrist. Remember that thread about free range parenting when a couple of parents here reported being arrested for child endangerment, or having their kids removed temporarily, for stuff like letting a kid wander down the block? There's no firm boundary here; it's up to the discretion of the social worker. And it's entirely possible the Cressys got a social worker who thinks unschooling is child abuse and jumped on her chance to arrest such a family.

I see your point. When I read about it, even that "slap on the wrist" feels like such a big deal that it's hard to see it as such...let alone conceive of worse. And, no matter what happened at a public school, I cannot imagine the coverage ever rebounding upon the parents, as in, "Why on earth didn't they stop this?"