Menu

What Are Your Favorite Education Books

What books have inspired you or gotten you excited or motivated? Or maybe given you an insight that you didn't have before?

I'm in the middle of Pocket Full of Pinecones and really enjoying it. It is a gentle book that makes me want to get our the nature notebooks and colored pencils and practice seeing things around me.

Other books that I've enjoyed:

The Five Love Languages (especially the Of Children and Of Teens versions).

Last Child in the Woods by Louv

Endangered Minds and Failure to Connect by Healy

Family Math

Math Doesn't Suck and Kiss My Math

Who Killed Homer? by Hanson and Heath

So what are your favorites?

~ The Seven Laws of Teaching - John Milton Gregory

~ Climbing Parnassus - Tracy Lee Simmons

~ The Art of Teaching - Gilbert Highet

~ Marva Collins' Way

~ Who Killed Homer?

And of course, the book that started it all for me: The Well-Trained Mind

~Anne

I started Punic Wars and Culture Wars after you mentioned it on your blog. Very interesting. Gave me a lot to think about.

by Rafe Esquith. Not a homeschool book - he teaches 4th/5th at an inner city public school in LA. But his absolute belief that all children can be inspired to learn and his creative methods for teaching leave me in awe. I re-read parts often.

I'm in the middle of another book by him now, Lighting Their Fires. It speaks to parents as well as teachers.

WTM, as mentioned, and Pocketful of Pinecones--the latter gave me that "socked in the heart" conviction that I wanted to homeschool, and the former told me how I could do it.

I first got excited about education (not home education at that point) by reading several books by Torey Hayden, a teacher of ED kids. Her One Child, about an abused, neglected little 5yo who turned out to be extremely gifted, is just about my favorite book ever--it showed Torey's dedication and inner struggles, and has an incredible, philosophical view of teaching while still describing the nitty-gritty. It's wonderful!

I didn't like Teach...Fire very much, but another classroom book I loved was Sylvia Ashton Warner's book, Teacher, about teaching native children in New Zealand. Spearpoint, her second book, is about bringing those same teaching techiques to America during the Open Schools phase--very valuable insights that ask the question, "How much educational freedom (determined by the child) is too much?" It was useful in shaping my ideas re: unschooling.

Edited by Chris in VA

by Rafe Esquith. Not a homeschool book - he teaches 4th/5th at an inner city public school in LA. But his absolute belief that all children can be inspired to learn and his creative methods for teaching leave me in awe. I re-read parts often.

I loved this one, too!

Thanks for the thread, it's always fun to get new ideas for books (though I seem to be lacking the time to read them lately).

Hey, ladies ... Pocketful of Pinecones has a sequel! Lessons at Blackberry Inn. A different feel from the first, more story and a bit of mystery, but very fun read.

Liz Foss's Real Learning (is that the title) was also good.

Beyond Survival by Diana Waring. It also has a sequel, Reaping the Harvest, but it was the first one that really touched me.

Lots of good stuff out there.

Thanks so much for this thread! I love to read and I am getting a big stack next to my bed from some of the other threads. There's nothing better than deciding WHAT to read every night instead of lamenting that I have nothing to read... And this forum has the best recommendations! My friends IRL just don't know these types of books, since I am the only one homeschooling.

I'm in the middle of another book by him now, Lighting Their Fires. It speaks to parents as well as teachers.

:iagree: These are the books that inspired me the most. My neck of the woods has had a huge influx of the inner city poor who don't value education and don't encourage children to actually do their classwork - his book helps me as I teach my children not to let that mindset creep into our home and to recognize and take advantage of opportunities.

I really like Punic Wars & Culture Wars. I'm reading it very slowly -- maybe one essay a week. It's really adding to my wishlist, too, as he recommends all kinds of interesting books I've never heard of.

I've been looking for this book. Is amazon the only place to purchase it? Do you know of anywhere else?

Just one thing piqued my interest in homeschooling, and that was David Guterson's Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense. Beyond that, I annually calm myself with dips into Susan Schaeffer Macauley's For the Children's Sake and Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason Companion. And TWTM is a great reference, of course.

I first got excited about education (not home education at that point) by reading several books by Torey Hayden, a teacher of ED kids. Her One Child, about an abused, neglected little 5yo who turned out to be extremely gifted, is just about my favorite book ever--it showed Torey's dedication and inner struggles, and has an incredible, philosophical view of teaching while still describing the nitty-gritty. It's wonderful!

I remember reading Torey Hayden in college before I had children. Definitely inspiring. It's funny how you look back and see little moments and experiences that led to your conviction to homeschool that didn't seem significant at the time.

Real Learning in the Heart of the Home is one of my all-time favorites. And while not a book, ;) Andrew Pudewa came to our town to speak a couple of weeks ago and really inspired me all over again. Listening to him re-ignited my spark and made me remember all of our reasons not only for homeschooling, but for not doing "school at home." What a fantastic speaker he is!

I read that a few years ago when my teacher SIL was visiting. She had that and The Essential 55, which was also interesting.

I don't know that the level of effort and involvement that these two teachers put into their classes is sustainable on a macro level, but I do appreciate that they see kids who are worth teaching passionately.

I thought of a couple of others that I've enjoyed:

Michael Gurian - The Minds of Boys, Boys and Girls Learn Differently and The Purpose of Boys (just got that last one).

Third Culture Kids - Mostly intended for the global nomad families, but I think that it has something to say to homeschooling families in general, who do tend to be out of step with the culture in which they reside.

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease - This was pretty much the first parenting book I read. I got it while I was expecting. Blew my mind with the importance of reading to my kids.

The Well Trained Mind is also on my list, for giving me high goals. And I love SWB's The Ancient World history.

Marva Collins Way

The History of Beginning Reading by Geraldine E. Rodgers (the e-book from Author house, it's much cheaper.)

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Math by Liping Ma

Changing Course: American Curriculum Reform in the 20th Century by Herbert M. Kliebard--I don't agree with all of it, but I do like his insight that the structure of the school and the textbooks used have an influence on what is possible and what is learned--here's a few quotes from the book that are a good synopsis (first quote from page 8, second from page 16)

The evidence suggests that these closely interrelated pedagogical changes, (1) the appearance of a concept of curriculum that was above and beyond what was dictated by the textbook and (2) what is called here ensemble teaching (as distinctfrom teaching as monitoring individual recitations), are intimately connected with a major reconstruction of the management and organization of schooling across the State of Wisconsin and in the United States generally.

Once learning expectations were set by grade level rather than by individual textbook, the very activity of teaching had to change. With pupils organized into groups of like expectations, the teacher was obligated to teach them as a group rather than hearing individuals recite. In fact, the trend in the direction of group instruction was marked by the growing trend in country schools toward using uniform textbooks for each grade.