Menu

s/o religious education material

I was reading the thread about Catholics in RCIA and people kept mentioning homeschooling for religious education as Catholics. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any homeschool religious studies they find helpful for their children. My daughter is only 4 so anything that would teach her about God and help her develop her understanding of him would be helpful. I'd love to find a good program, from any Christian religion, and I'd love Catholic suggestions in particular for those years when she is going to start first communion etc. Right now she just attends church and pre-K christian formation, and we read from her children's bible.

Thanks for any tips!

I would not use materials from any Christian religion. As a Catholic, I have an obligation and duty to only use Catholic materials to teach my children the Catholic religion. Catholics should only used Catholic materials with the Imprimatur. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and other Sacraments are the focus for Catholic religion and that is not in other Christian materials.

We use Traditional materials from Our Lady of Victory School, Kolbe Academy, and Saint Pius V Society (The Daughters of Mary put out a First Communion Catechism). My 8 year old and 11 year old study directly from the Baltimore Catechism (from TAN publishers). My 11 year old is getting ready for his Confirmation in the spring.

If you want to use modern materials, Faith and Life from Ignatius Press is good. St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism for First Communion is good.

Louise

I think the very wisest course, for anyone of any sect of Christianity, is to make sure your child has a thorough, solid grounding in the Bible text alone, independent of any denominational perspective.

All too often most of the teaching a child receives (and adults, for that matter) is extra-biblical--people read books ABOUT the Bible, with just a small smattering of the Bible included. It should be opposite, though. The Bible should take the overwhelming majority of time and attention, with any extra help and explanation taking a much smaller proportion of time.

At your daughter's age, I would simply read Bible stories and focus on verse memorization. After you read, have her narrate back to you some details about the story. You can also have her draw the story or act it out or draw a cartoon or write a poem, etc.

A really helpful resource for choosing Bible stories is The One Year Bible for Kids, which contains a year of selections.

As she becomes fluent in reading (2nd-3rd grade) you can go ahead and have more of a study process, with questions to answer. If you are interested in this, pm me and I can email you some examples.

I have other thoughts about teaching Bible well in the older grades--if you are interested, I can also pm you some explanations and how-to.

This is not to say that your child never receives instruction in your denominational perspective. It is certainly appropriate to learn the traditions of your church. However, I would introduce those perspectives to older children (logic stage), carefully making sure to compare any extra-biblical reading to the Bible itself.

I think the very wisest course, for anyone of any sect of Christianity, is to make sure your child has a thorough, solid grounding in the Bible text alone, independent of any denominational perspective.

All too often most of the teaching a child receives (and adults, for that matter) is extra-biblical--people read books ABOUT the Bible, with just a small smattering of the Bible included. It should be opposite, though. The Bible should take the overwhelming majority of time and attention, with any extra help and explanation taking a much smaller proportion of time.

At your daughter's age, I would simply read Bible stories and focus on verse memorization. After you read, have her narrate back to you some details about the story. You can also have her draw the story or act it out or draw a cartoon or write a poem, etc.

A really helpful resource for choosing Bible stories is The One Year Bible for Kids, which contains a year of selections.

As she becomes fluent in reading (2nd-3rd grade) you can go ahead and have more of a study process, with questions to answer. If you are interested in this, pm me and I can email you some examples.

I have other thoughts about teaching Bible well in the older grades--if you are interested, I can also pm you some explanations and how-to.

This is not to say that your child never receives instruction in your denominational perspective. It is certainly appropriate to learn the traditions of your church. However, I would introduce those perspectives to older children (logic stage), carefully making sure to compare any extra-biblical reading to the Bible itself.

That is the course we are taking now. Just reading the bible. We have the 365 day bible for children, and the Early Readers bible. Sometimes we do my bible too, but it's mostly the kid version right now. Sometimes we do crafts that are based off the stories. It just peaked my curiousity when I saw other people actually have homeschool curriculum for this, especially Catholic homeschool. I didn't know there was such a thing! I will check out some of the Catholic materials suggested in the other post, because I think that it is really exciting to have Catholic materials, but I am also open to any other Christian suggestions. I don't see it as an either/or thing.

I am going to have to agree with both Strider and Louise. At 4, reading Bible stories is a great foundation. Make it a regular part of your "school" day. I would also read about the lives of Saints. Little kids love those stories and they facilitate good discussions.

At 5 or 6, I would add more formal teaching of the Catholic faith. If she is attending Sunday School, I would skip "text book" religious studies like Life and Faith and go for the Baltimore Catechism. All the while maintaining a bit of age appropriate Bible study and reading about the Saints.

That is the course we are taking now. Just reading the bible. We have the 365 day bible for children' date=' and the Early Readers bible. Sometimes we do my bible too, but it's mostly the kid version right now. Sometimes we do crafts that are based off the stories. It just peaked my curiousity when I saw other people actually have homeschool curriculum for this, especially Catholic homeschool. I didn't know there was such a thing! I will check out some of the Catholic materials suggested in the other post, because I think that it is really exciting to have Catholic materials, but I am also open to any other Christian suggestions. I don't see it as an either/or thing.[/quote']

It sounds to me like you are doing great without the suggestions! I am guessing that many Catholics are home schooling religion because they find the program in their parish to be lacking. I know that is the case at our church. I am not home schooling religion because I just came back to the Church at Easter after 30 years away. I felt ill prepared to teach my children religion. However, they don't seem to be getting much out of the class this year (last year was First Reconciliation and First Eucharist and their first year in religion class, so they got a lot out of it) and I will likely teach them at home next year. Part of that decision will be based on who is teaching their class.

For 1st and 2nd, we have used Faith & Life as a text. It has worked well for us. Our primary teaching is living the liturgical year fully at home and learning through fabulous Catholic picture books (many are found in Catholic Mosaic by Cay Gibson).

This year I finally purchased a mini mass kit from Our Father's House, and I will also be using Moira Farrell's Home Catechesis lessons. Both of these resources are Montessori style and both can be found here.

For the younger ages, I think these booklets are great in addition to bible and saint stories.

And if you are looking for a wonderful Catholic homeschooling board, the 4Real forums are incredible. You will find many, many resources for living the liturgical year on those boards.

I do think it is important to use Catholic materials. Other Christian materials do not fulfill the requirements we have for religious education, and they often contain interpretations that are in direct opposition to our faith. In order to do religious education at home and not through our parish, we are required to use something approved by the USCCB. This is something you will need to talk to your priest about, especially when it comes to First Communion Preparation. Not all priests or all dioceses approve doing it at home.

We read the readings from the Mass every day at the beginning of school. This breaks up the Bible into smaller pieces, and after 3 years, we will have read all of it. We use Faith and Life as our catechism to fulfill our PSR obligations. Then we add in a reading about the daily saint and some other study for the year. For First Communion, we use the lesson plans for Catholic Heritage Curricula, which are very hands-on and very child-appropriate. We will also probably order the videos on FCC that CHC sells, which are taught directly to the children by an order of teaching nuns. CHC also has A Year With God, which provides activities for the whole liturgical year, which we try to make it a priority to celebrate.

This year, we are using the Picture Book of Saints and the Catholic Picture Bible to take us through the ancients. Other projects we have taken on for the year are making a Saints lapbook, making our own Bible History picture book, studying the rosary and studying the exercises of St. Ignatius. MODG and Mater Amabilis have some wonderful suggestions to bring religious education alive for children.

Best wishes!

I do think it is important to use Catholic materials. Other Christian materials do not fulfill the requirements we have for religious education, and they often contain interpretations that are in direct opposition to our faith. In order to do religious education at home and not through our parish, we are required to use something approved by the USCCB. This is something you will need to talk to your priest about, especially when it comes to First Communion Preparation. Not all priests or all dioceses approve doing it at home.

We read the readings from the Mass every day at the beginning of school. This breaks up the Bible into smaller pieces, and after 3 years, we will have read all of it. We use Faith and Life as our catechism to fulfill our PSR obligations. Then we add in a reading about the daily saint and some other study for the year. For First Communion, we use the lesson plans for Catholic Heritage Curricula, which are very hands-on and very child-appropriate. We will also probably order the videos on FCC that CHC sells, which are taught directly to the children by an order of teaching nuns. CHC also has A Year With God, which provides activities for the whole liturgical year, which we try to make it a priority to celebrate.

This year, we are using the Picture Book of Saints and the Catholic Picture Bible to take us through the ancients. Other projects we have taken on for the year are making a Saints lapbook, making our own Bible History picture book, studying the rosary and studying the exercises of St. Ignatius. MODG and Mater Amabilis have some wonderful suggestions to bring religious education alive for children.

Best wishes!

Wonderful post! You've given a great outline here.

I have to recommend "Learn from the Great Teacher". It uses scriptures to teach lessons and answer questions. The Great Teacher is Jesus of course. Every child I know enjoys it. (Not so much the Bible stories) It is the best Bible program for children I have ever seen. I have it on CD. Topics include "How to know whom to obey" "Why Jesus was a great teacher" "Obedience protects you" "Do you remember to say thank you?" There are 48 lessons all with scriptures included. We do only a couple of paragraphs at a time. DD loves the picture that shows the wind blowing. "How do you know there is wind?" It compares this to knowing there is God even though we cannot see him. It is from Jehovah's Witnesses. http://www.watchtower.org (http://www.watchtower.org/)

I would not use materials from any Christian religion. As a Catholic, I have an obligation and duty to only use Catholic materials to teach my children the Catholic religion. Catholics should only used Catholic materials with the Imprimatur. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and other Sacraments are the focus for Catholic religion and that is not in other Christian materials.

We use Traditional materials from Our Lady of Victory School, Kolbe Academy, and Saint Pius V Society (The Daughters of Mary put out a First Communion Catechism). My 8 year old and 11 year old study directly from the Baltimore Catechism (from TAN publishers). My 11 year old is getting ready for his Confirmation in the spring.

If you want to use modern materials, Faith and Life from Ignatius Press is good. St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism for First Communion is good.

Louise

:iagree:

Reading the Bible is just part of good religious education. We use various things - Faith and Life, the Baltimore Catechism, St. Joseph Picture Books, etc.

Be very, very, VERY careful when using materials from other Christian denominations. My MIL is a Catholic convert and she passed along a bunch of materials that her Presbyterian extended family had given her. Even things that one would think would be non-denominational like Bible stories often give a Protestant "spin" to the text. For example, a description of St. James the Apostle as "Jesus' brother". :banghead:

I put my DD in our parish CCD for socialization purposes. The materials are fluffy "feel good" Catholicism lite but they do have the Imprimatur and I haven't seen any errors.

At home we use the Faith & Life series plus the New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism. We also do the "Saint of the Day" using Saints for Young Readers for Every Day from Pauline Books & Media plus the Amy Welborn books from Loyola Press and the Ethel Pochocki books from Bethlehem Books.

Also, if you have not yet read Designing Your Own Catholic Classical Curriculum by Laura Barquist, I highly recommend doing so!

Not to be an idiot here, or start a controversy ... genuinely asking ...

Did Jesus not have a brother James? Or rather, didn't Mary and Joseph have more kids after Jesus was born?

I'd like to know if there's a different Catholic take on it, as I like to understand how different folks think. I hate to make assumptions that we're all on the same page and inadvertently offend someone or miss out. (We're Methodist, so we get a lot of converts from other faiths and denominations, but they don't seem to be real reliable in the facts from what they've left behind, sometimes.)

Not to be an idiot here, or start a controversy ... genuinely asking ...

Did Jesus not have a brother James? Or rather, didn't Mary and Joseph have more kids after Jesus was born?

I'd like to know if there's a different Catholic take on it, as I like to understand how different folks think. I hate to make assumptions that we're all on the same page and inadvertently offend someone or miss out. (We're Methodist, so we get a lot of converts from other faiths and denominations, but they don't seem to be real reliable in the facts from what they've left behind, sometimes.)

In a nutshell, no. Mary had no other children.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Mary_Ever_Virgin.asp

I was reading the thread about Catholics in RCIA and people kept mentioning homeschooling for religious education as Catholics. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any homeschool religious studies they find helpful for their children. My daughter is only 4 so anything that would teach her about God and help her develop her understanding of him would be helpful. I'd love to find a good program' date=' from any Christian religion, and I'd love Catholic suggestions in particular for those years when she is going to start first communion etc. Right now she just attends church and pre-K christian formation, and we read from her children's bible.

Thanks for any tips![/quote']

We do homestudy through a Catholic church so we use material that the Catholic church uses in their RE program. I love it!!!! I would think you could also get the materials by ordering it? We use Sadlier series "We Believe" Parish Edition. The chruch gives us the student workbook and teacher guide and a schedule that follows the regular RE classes. We do the same RE as the classes... just at home where I can adjust things to work best for my kids and me. But it is hard to stay consistent with the schedule as life tends to get in the way. So I have to be very determined to stay on top of the kids RE.

We use Sadlier series "We Believe" Parish Edition. The chruch gives us the student workbook and teacher guide and a schedule that follows the regular RE classes. We do the same RE as the classes... just at home where I can adjust things to work best for my kids and me.

I wasn't originally planning to "name names" ;) but the We Believe by Sadlier is the one I described in my previous post as "fluffy 'feel good' Catholicism lite". While I haven't come across any outright errors in it, it definitely does not provide much in the way of content either. I've discussed the matter with the director of Religious Ed at our parish, and she's told me in confidence that she can't use anything too traditional because most of the families enrolled in the CCD program are highly secularized "cafeteria" Catholics. :001_rolleyes:

Faith & Life by Ignatius Press, which is what we use at home, is WAY more thorough. If you want your kids to really understand what the Church teaches in an orthodox way, go with Faith & Life over We Believe.

Have you seen Catholic Mosaic?

http://hillsideeducation.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10_12&products_id=75

This page has booklists, samples and free study guides.

There are 52 picture books geared to the liturgical year.

At your dd's age, I'd make sure she knew all her prayers. Sign of the Cross, Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be. You could say a decade a day of the Rosary.

Count me among those who say consider your sources very carefully when it comes to your child's religious education. Seton is a wonderful source, as are the Faith and Life books. Your dd will get all the "Bible" she needs through these programs and by going to Mass.

I wasn't originally planning to "name names" ;) but the We Believe by Sadlier is the one I described in my previous post as "fluffy 'feel good' Catholicism lite". While I haven't come across any outright errors in it, it definitely does not provide much in the way of content either. I've discussed the matter with the director of Religious Ed at our parish, and she's told me in confidence that she can't use anything too traditional because most of the families enrolled in the CCD program are highly secularized "cafeteria" Catholics. :001_rolleyes:

Faith & Life by Ignatius Press, which is what we use at home, is WAY more thorough. If you want your kids to really understand what the Church teaches in an orthodox way, go with Faith & Life over We Believe.

Good to know... thank you. I have noticed that we really aren't learning much. Just seems to be incomplete IMO but I am a converted Catholic so I really don't know that much to begin with. I just follow the RE guides they give me. So I will look into supplementing and check out Faith & Life.

Good to know... thank you. I have noticed that we really aren't learning much. Just seems to be incomplete IMO but I am a converted Catholic so I really don't know that much to begin with. I just follow the RE guides they give me. So I will look into supplementing and check out Faith & Life.

If you would like a free resource for yourself, try:

http://www.amm.org/chss.htm

They will mail you the books for free, one at a time. Tests are taken online, and when each course is complete you can start the next one. I have been enjoying them a great deal!

Also for some hands on materials, try:

http://www.lapbooksforcatholics.com/

CHC has some wonderful stuff, and the lesson plans are worth it just for the extras they contain. I also recommend Seton if your kids like a worktext approach. Check your area for a good Catholic bookstore. The people there can have wonderful advice!

Personally, I find it interesting that our parishes use the WE Believe series from a secular publisher to teach RE. I homeschool RE partly because I do not think these materials are thorough enough for me.

I use the Image of God series from Ignatius Press. It is particularly good for the preschool ages. I use this in conjunction with Bible reading and saints study etc. The Image of God series is available through Catholic Heritage Curricula as well. We tried Faith and Life and Seton but they just did not work well for us. My girls love this program and beg to do it.

My children also play on ewtnkids.com where they have learned some things. At one time, I also looked into catechismclass.com which is pretty thorough and I may use that in a year or two as I thought it most appropriate for older children.

I am saying this very gently but most of what you wrote would be contrary to how experienced homeschooling Catholic moms go about teaching their Catholic children.

The way you describe is the way most Protestants teach their children. I was brought up this way as a Souther Baptist.

However, Catholic doctrine is based on Sacred Tradition and Scripture. The traditional way of learning doctrine from young ages is through a sound catechism program. Much of the catechism is the based on Biblical events, but some things are based on Tradition. If a child did not learn Tradition from an early age, he/she would not be ready for his/her First Penance and First Holy Communion and other sacraments.

We do supplement with readings each day from the daily Mass or from the New Testament. So Catholics do read the Bible, but the Bible is not the focus of Catholic education.

Louise

Edited by LMA

Ok, I am starting to think I should go with one of those Ignatious Press suggestions because I am a convert and you guys are starting to scare me that maybe I am not teaching my child right. I just want her to know God and I thought the rest of it would come along. What is a "cafeteria" catholic?

What is a "cafeteria" catholic?

Somebody who picks & chooses which Church teachings to follow and which to ignore rather than trying his/her best to follow ALL of them. Famous ones include Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, the late Ted Kennedy, Arlen Specter, Rudy Giuliani, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.

I am saying this very gently but most of what you wrote would be contrary to how experienced homeschooling Catholic moms go about teaching their Catholic children.

Can you explain which part(s) is something that a Catholic mom would not do? Read the Bible to her children, for example? It seems pretty basic to me, but I'm not Catholic and now I'm curious! lol

Thanks for the answer and link for my question! I hadn't realized that was a part of Catholic belief, and now I can give it the respect it deserves. In my church, it often seems that things come up where someone wonders about other denominations, and I like to have the correct answers on hand, to make sure each faith is represented accurately. I think the brothers of Jesus thing came up in Sunday School recently, and I didn't realize at the time that there was even more to it than that. I appreciate the correction!

Someone mentioned Catholic Mosaic ... I'll ditto that one. We're not Catholic (obviously) but I found lots of nice liturgical year resources in it that help even me. Cay Gibson wrote that one, and several others. Elizabeth Foss also blogs and has a homeschool book or two ... they are both great authors, and Catholics.

To a previous poster: Thinking along the lines of religious education, I know as a Methodist I want my children to learn not just the Bible stories and verses, but also the creeds and liturgies and common hymns we use. I want them to know the Lord's Prayer by heart. Things like that. So I would guess that's what the other poster meant, about not just using the Bible for Catholic education, but also the other really important doctrinal helps, from the Catholic perspective. Catechism (I think Lutherans and Episcopalians also use one?), and creeds, and the sacraments.

(My 8yo has just, finally, memorized the Lord's Prayer, and he's working on the Doxology and the Gloria Patri ... much easier for him now he can read along ... it is SO exciting to see this in action!)

Can you explain which part(s) is something that a Catholic mom would not do? Read the Bible to her children, for example? It seems pretty basic to me, but I'm not Catholic and now I'm curious! lol

I am not unsinkable but I think what she meant was that there is so much more to the Catholic faith besides just the Bible and it is taught early on. There is a lot that they need to know about the faith prior to First Communion for example and that is at 8 years old. If we taught just the Bible, they would not know what they need to know about the sacraments and for participation at mass etc.

I like Laura Berquist's recommendation of including these three elements in religious education:

1. Catechism

2. Scripture

3. The lives of the saints as examples of heroic virtue

Since your dd is 4, you have time to look around and find something that works for you. Check out the religion recommendations of the Catholic homeschool curriculum providers...

Seton

Kolbe

Mother of Divine Grace

Our Lady of Victory

Our Lady of the Rosary

We use Faith and Life through our parish CCD program, but we also use the Baltimore Catechism. I like its clarity.

There was a discussion about the Our Holy Faith series by Neumann Press recently on the Catholic social group forum that got me interested. Anyone familiar with that one?

Let me say first this is my experience with the Catholic homeschooling moms I know and what I try to do. Others may have a completely different experience.

Mass, and very often daily Mass is the focus for many. Sunday Mass has 3 Bible readings and daily Mass has 2 Bible readings. So Catholic children hear the Bible read over and over as they grow during Mass. Devotion to the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist is vital. Jesus is present in the Eucharist body, blood, soul and divinity. With the focus on the Eucharist and Mass, the liturgical year is a way to live our Catholic faith. Then within the liturgical year, there are Holy Days and Saints Feast Days. Saints give us examples of how to live as Jesus taught. It is very natural to teach little ones about St Francis and St Therese in Oct, Feasts of All Saints and All Souls in Nov, etc...

Prayer and Rosary is another big way we teach our Faith to our children. There is an old tradition to say the Rosary on different days with the different mysteries. Children learn the life of Jesus very quickly this way, IMO.

The focus is not on the Bible alone.

HTH

I also want to add that I grew up in the 70s and 80s at a time when the focus in my schools was the Mass. We probably didn't learn as much catechism as the kids in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s but our teachers truly tried to show us how the Mass was central to our faith. We had a school Mass every Friday and we prepared all week for it. :)

In a nutshell, no. Mary had no other children.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Mary_Ever_Virgin.asp

To say this as a flat statement is rude to those who believe differently, such as myself. I read your reference, and it leaves out the most telling and earliest reference to this issue, one that is actually in the Bible, which says that Joseph took Mary into his home 'but knew her not until after Jesus was born.' I understand that you have another view of this, and that's your prerogative, but to state your view as a statement of fact is insulting as it is clear from earlier in the thread that you're among others who have differences of opinion on this.

But what is your basis for truth if not the Bible? Just curious? Not criticizing Catholics, but I do not understand adding things outside the Bible. One of my best friends is Catholic (and we discuss some issues a bit, and we get along great), so please don't take this as a criticism of Catholicism.

I know the church has passed down a lot of traditions and edicts, etc, through different popes over the years, but I do not personally understand how they can be considered absolute truth or on the same level of the Bible if they are continually being revised or changed (which historically, the are, from what I know of Catholic Church history). Also, would you or would you not consider the Sacraments as Biblical?

But what is your basis for truth if not the Bible? Just curious? Not criticizing Catholics, but I do not understand adding things outside the Bible. One of my best friends is Catholic (and we discuss some issues a bit, and we get along great), so please don't take this as a criticism of Catholicism.

I know the church has passed down a lot of traditions and edicts, etc, through different popes over the years, but I do not personally understand how they can be considered absolute truth or on the same level of the Bible if they are continually being revised or changed (which historically, the are, from what I know of Catholic Church history). Also, would you or would you not consider the Sacraments as Biblical?

I see some of the changes that have happened in the Church to really be more of clarifications. When there is a new Pope, he doesn't just change things that don't suit him. I think that is a misconception.

We do study the Bible alongside the Catechism. We read in the New Testament that Jesus gave us his body and blood and yes, the sacrament of Eucharist is there. There are traditions, etc leading from there and that is why we study the catechism. I don't know if I am clearly articulating what I am trying to say. Hopefully, someone more articulate can explain it better.

Basically, for Catholics, the Bible is only one leg of a three-legged stool. We have Sacred Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium. Sacred Scripture is the Bible. Tradition is the oral teachings passed down to us by the apostles, which are given the same authority as the written teachings have. The Magisterium is the teaching authority of the Church.

The Bible is revered by Catholics, but not in the same way as other Christian groups seem to view it. Jesus did not write the Bible and hand it to the apostle from the cross and tell them to go hand it out. The apostles went and taught people what they had been taught, some orally and some in written form. The Bible started as letters and other written documents between the apostles and other disciples, and it was originally compiled by the Church as a liturgical document. The books that were eventually included in the New Testament were put there with the official authority of the Church saying that these books were officially approved to be read during the liturgy at Mass. The Bible was a liturgical document, read at Mass and not handed out for private reading or interpretation. As Catholics, we read the Bible, but we also hear it repeatedly at every single Mass. The other things in Tradition have been there since the early church fathers and are things that for whatever reason never made it into the written tradition that became the Bible. The Church went on teaching for a long while without the New Testament, and the writers of the New Testament likely never saw it in the form you see it in now.

As far as what changes, well, some things do and others don't. What we call Dogma doesn't change. We believe that Jesus left the Church, and the Holy Spirit protects it, even now. Doctrine doesn't change. Disciplines do change, or at least they can change. What the priest wears at Mass is a discipline. The Trinity is a doctrine.

This is all very O/T, and I apologize to the original poster for that hijack. I believe Momtoboys asked an honest question, and I am trying to answer it respectfully and charitably, in the spirit that she asked it. I am hoping this doesn't disintegrate into yet another Catholic-bashing argument, which unfortunately often happens and is why most of us hesitate to respond.

Best wishes!

Edited by Asenik

To say this as a flat statement is rude to those who believe differently, such as myself. I read your reference, and it leaves out the most telling and earliest reference to this issue, one that is actually in the Bible, which says that Joseph took Mary into his home 'but knew her not until after Jesus was born.' I understand that you have another view of this, and that's your prerogative, but to state your view as a statement of fact is insulting as it is clear from earlier in the thread that you're among others who have differences of opinion on this.

I apologize Carol - my intent was to not sidetrack the thread, not to offend. I apologize for trying to be short about it - I just didn't want to derail the thread into another debate about Mary. I assumed that readers would understand that I was giving a Catholic perspective on it since this is a thread discussing Catholic religious education material.

I apologize Carol - my intent was to not sidetrack the thread, not to offend. I apologize for trying to be short about it - I just didn't want to derail the thread into another debate about Mary. I assumed that readers would understand that I was giving a Catholic perspective on it since this is a thread discussing Catholic religious education material.

I so enjoy your contributions on this board.

I understand now, and I appreciate your post.

Best regards, Carol

What a gracious apology. :grouphug:

I assumed that readers would understand that I was giving a Catholic perspective on it since this is a thread discussing Catholic religious education material.
That is exactly how I took it.

Basically, for Catholics, the Bible is only one leg of a three-legged stool. We have Sacred Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium. Sacred Scripture is the Bible. Tradition is the oral teachings passed down to us by the apostles, which are given the same authority as the written teachings have. The Magisterium is the teaching authority of the Church.

The Bible is revered by Catholics, but not in the same way as other Christian groups seem to view it. Jesus did not write the Bible and hand it to the apostle from the cross and tell them to go hand it out. The apostles went and taught people what they had been taught, some orally and some in written form. The Bible started as letters and other written documents between the apostles and other disciples, and it was originally compiled by the Church as a liturgical document. The books that were eventually included in the New Testament were put there with the official authority of the Church saying that these books were officially approved to be read during the liturgy at Mass. The Bible was a liturgical document, read at Mass and not handed out for private reading or interpretation. As Catholics, we read the Bible, but we also hear it repeatedly at every single Mass. The other things in Tradition have been there since the early church fathers and are things that for whatever reason never made it into the written tradition that became the Bible. The Church went on teaching for a long while without the New Testament, and the writers of the New Testament likely never saw it in the form you see it in now.

As far as what changes, well, some things do and others don't. What we call Dogma doesn't change. We believe that Jesus left the Church, and the Holy Spirit protects it, even now. Doctrine doesn't change. Disciplines do change, or at least they can change. What the priest wears at Mass is a discipline. The Trinity is a doctrine.

This is all very O/T, and I apologize to the original poster for that hijack. I believe Momtoboys asked an honest question, and I am trying to answer it respectfully and charitably, in the spirit that she asked it. I am hoping this doesn't disintegrate into yet another Catholic-bashing argument, which unfortunately often happens and is why most of us hesitate to respond.

Best wishes!

Wonderful post. I intend to read through this again.