Menu

do you ask for homeschooling stuff for

I've tried a couple of times. People don't want to give me school stuff, they want to give me stuff that's "just for fun". They just don't seem to understand that if I asked for it, it's what I really wanted. Even if it's a chemistry set, a treatise on teaching children to write, or even a new vacuum. I'm a practical kind of gal, and honestly jewelry will just sit in a box on my dresser and not get used because it snags on things or distracts my obsessive children when I need them to pay attention. What is so awful about buying me things I will use? I tried to sneak in a couple of books I'm strongly considering for use the year after next. I asked for them "just for fun because I'm interested in reading about the topic", and am hoping to sneak them in under the radar that way. Think it will work?

Not many people buy for us (and even fewer for me,) so I don't have many options to try it on ;) My mother bought Geography Songs for the kids and I this Christmas, so that's one less thing. She wouldn't want to buy grammar books but she's happy to send me money for a fun thing, like music or art. She's all for such creative things with little kids, and would rather send me the money to purchase something like that than do it herself. She never spends much, so it's only something small, but every bit counts. If she shops locally, which she likes to do, the postage usually costs more than the gift, and that annoys her.

I wouldn't dream of asking my Dad for homeschooling supplies at this stage. Maybe later down the track, if he asks, I might suggest maths manipulative type things like scales, science kits and that kind of thing. Dad usually gives me money and buys good presents for the kids, so I've no need to try and "encourage" anything else.

My brother likes to shop, so I wouldn't dream of spoiling his experience, and my aunt is happy to buy educational type things that can be sourced locally. This is good. It means neither of us will be buying each other's children the same things because I never shop locally, and she doesn't hang out on here to hear about the really cool stuff ;) This year she's getting the kids a toy cash register and some toy food. She was raving to me about having found wooden eggs. I'm not sure vegan kids need wooden eggs, but maybe we'll paint them black and call them avocados ;) My grandmother, at my suggestion, is knitting up some fruits and veg. She usually knits baby clothes so this has been a fun project for her. That stuff will be just perfect for the pre-maths type play :)

Dh has bought Analytical Grammar for me, which is great!

Rosie

I've tried too - people get mad at me when I say I want XYZ homeschooling curriculum, a new can opener, a donation to a charity I support, or Mrs. Meyer's cleaning prodcuts for Christmas. BUT I DO! :tongue_smilie:

I don't WANT another new sweater I'll never wear, or a new CD I don't have time to listen to, or heaven forbid another knick knack to dust and visually clutter up my house.

Give me a curriculum I want but don't want to splurge for, a new can opener so I can stop cursing at the one we've got when it only half opens the can, give a goat to a poor family in Uganda in my name so they can eat and drink milk and support their community, or some pretty smelling but expensive cleaners so I can feel happy as I do the inevitable cleaning.

Or chocolate. I'm always good with that. :lol:

My family would ESPECIALLY flip if I asked for curriculum as a gift for the children. My family understands that I'm crazy (read: practical and not wasteful) but they definitely don't want me trying to indoctrinate my children with that "nonsense". :banghead:

Edited by amyable

The only person I can really ask for hs supplies is my MIL. Every year my MIL ask for a list of things the kids want/need. Every year I make out a list filled with books- both fun reading and school- and art/school supplies. Also some clothes and everyday things they needs. I don't put toys on the list because they don't need toys, they have tons of them they never play with.

Every year she completely ignores what I put on the list and buys them tons of toys. And usually some other things I don't want them to have like lipstick and nailpolish, because it will get everywhere. Really, I don't know why she ask for a list.

One year she did buy my 2nd grader some preK workbooks.

Yes, I ask for things for both myself and the kids. Our family, for the most part, complies. My kids do not need toys. They have more than they can use/keep picked up anyway.

My in-laws bought my entire curriculum last year. It was awesome. They are awesome. My dh's oldest sister sends the kids a box of books and craft stuff each year. His youngest sister sends toys and clothes usually, but this year I tried asking for books from her. We'll see. My bro and sil always send books, educational dvd's and clothes from places I would never shop in (but love the cute clothes!)-they are very pro homeschooling and had they been blessed with their own children, they would have homeschooled. I don't quite have my parents there yet, but I'm trying. :tongue_smilie: All in all, it's pretty nice.

I tried that this year and I was asked to re-write my Christmas list because it wasn't "selfish" enough. :glare: I truly enjoy receiving curriculum and extras that we need for our homeschool. I don't enjoy receiving another bath set, self-help book disguised as fiction, or sweater.

My G'ma sends me money to shop for her. I get him books he'll need. This year is a cookbook. My parents love getting things we actually need and are educational. If I asked for something specfic, they'd get it for us, but actualy curriculum has never been bought/needed at gift giving times. Others have gotten him magazine subscriptions.

My inlaws have always been a issue. I've given my FIL a list and websites for things like Homesciece Tools and back to basic toys. He doesn't like it and wants to actually 'shop' for things however he knows I don't want plastic crap. He also knows we'll say sorry you can't have that, guess Grandpa shouldn't have teased you by buying that. (okay i'd word it better, but we let it be know, that if the kid ends up miserable, it's his fault for not following our rules with our kid). Being overseas helped somewhat because it all had to be shipped anyway so he gave in and bought online. My MIL was the type that would have gone to wal mart or dollar store and buy boxes of crap to send to him. But she died last Jan, and before that being overseas (shipping stuff there scared her or something) we dodged that inflow of crap.

This year i gave him a little more free reign, but he asked for suggestions. Now that we are back in teh states, he's discovered the NY Giants. He doesn't really know anything about them, other than they are a football team (doesn't even really know what that means) and that his uncle is all excited for them.

I said he'd love a NY Giants shirt. He got pissy he could only find them online, and then settled for at a store. He wanted his name on it but couldn't at teh store. So he spent almost $70 to buy an 'authentic' shirt for a 7yo. $70! What he wanted was another tee shirt.

I've decided if it gets ruined with chocolate stains or ripped climbing a fence, oh well. Shouldn't have spent $70 on a shirt! So don't get pissy at me when he doesn't have it or whatever. I am not guardian of thing you wasted your money on.

But no, if I asked my FIL for something truely 'schooly' he wouldn't do it. But these are same people that when told, as an infant, "he really doesn't need anything. But his college fund is set up, you can donate to that if you want, everyone else is doing that." Nope, they have never given us one red cent for his college fund, but they'll drop money on crap left and right if we let them.

Sorry, rant over. It just sort of drives me a little crazy.

If they ask what the children want, I often say a free pass to any toy store on the globe. Then, when they say, well do they need anything I will mention "fun" school things. IOW, manipulatives or science kits or arts and crafts supplies.

I have had one family member that was ecstatic to buy truly useful gifts for the children, they actually bought school books. What's incredible is that they continue to beg to buy more. :lol: Why? Well, because the gift is used, it's enjoyed, and it contributes the their future in a way that some cheap gizmo made in China never does. Oh, and it's kept to be reused for younger ds. All year, or for however long it takes us to 'finish' using the gift they get progress reports and continual bursts of gratitude.

I wish more people were willing to see that angle of it.

I will be asking for homeschooling materials this year for my birthday. Money is tight and I don't know if I'll be able to get the basics let alone the good stuff. I don't know if I would ask for hs stuff for my kids though. I remember getting school supplies for a holiday as a child and was less than thrilled. Of course, if the gift was a cool microscope or science kit, they would definitely be good with that! Does that make sense?

I've tried but no one wanted to get it for me so I have taken to asking for things like chapters and amazon gift cards to get some of the books at least that way. The exception has been my ex husband. Last year I told him I wanted a telescope for the kids and he bought them one for xmas, a very good one. This year instead of educational stuff he bought them each a psp. (Well the older 2 at least, only they are his kids)

I've tried too - people get mad at me when I say I want XYZ homeschooling curriculum, a new can opener, a donation to a charity I support, or Mrs. Meyer's cleaning prodcuts for Christmas. BUT I DO! :tongue_smilie:

I don't WANT another new sweater I'll never wear, or a new CD I don't have time to listen to, or heaven forbid another knick knack to dust and visually clutter up my house.

Give me a curriculum I want but don't want to splurge for, a new can opener so I can stop cursing at the one we've got when it only half opens the can, give a goat to a poor family in Uganda in my name so they can eat and drink milk and support their community, or some pretty smelling but expensive cleaners so I can feel happy as I do the inevitable cleaning.

My family would ESPECIALLY flip if I asked for curriculum as a gift for the children. My family understands that I'm crazy (read: practical and not wasteful) but they definitely don't want me trying to indoctrinate my children with that "nonsense". :banghead:

:iagree:Amen. I could have written this same exact post. Seriously. Right down to the broken can opener!!!!!!!!! :glare:

:lol: For my birthday I got a new crockpot and a steam mop. I told my Mom and she said "You better be careful...if you act too excited you'll probably keep getting gifts like that." I told her that I sure hoped I kept getting things I wanted! :lol:

Others in our family do not seem to think educational things can be fun.

Argh! I hate that! I have to be careful not to use the "educational" word with some people, because they'll freak out and run off to find something more useless. "Not everything has to be educational, you know!" True, but it won't actually hurt anyone. Quick, an Education Monster is coming! Let's sprinkle some sugar and squirt some food colourings at it, then it might go away!

I think my brother will have fun buying Arabic resources when the kids start Saturday School. He's got a thing about Arabic, for some reason.

Rosie

I do, and I often get it. If it's a teacher resource, it's on my wish list. If it's something the kids themselves would use, it's on their list.

My side of the family will buy me books that I request, planner type items, and office supplies. I have finally convinced them that I geek out about that stuff, ;). My mom would walk over hot coals before she bought the kids something blatantly educational, and she's just now getting to where she'll buy my 11-year-old lots of books and activity kits rather than the Barbies and such that she never liked.

My m-i-l is made out of awesome in the gift giving department. She buys what she figures we'll want, not what she wants for us, and if she doesn't know, she will ask (and ask if we need money instead, bless her!). She loves to buy the kids fun school items! And the kids always like it.

Others in our family do not seem to think educational things can be fun. Funny though how they keep asking my kids what they want and it's all education - LOL. Gifts from us tend to be Science Kits, a bulding set, etc. I save the more traditional suggestions the kids give me for suggestions for others (Wii game, DS game, Legos, etc.)

My family is the same way. They call me and kids weird because we get so excited over school books, science kits, history books/models etc. They have great fun teasing the kids for being so excited to see the parcel truck in September bringing the school books as they are at Christmas. The kids do not need any more toys or clothes etc but no one wants to get them school related items, even if they are the fun kits and such.

I've asked and it's been brushed off. I'm pretty sure my parents think that as an adult if I've chosen to educate my kids this way that they're not going to help and call it a Christmas gift. It would be like asking them for private school tuition assistance as a gift, I guess. LOL They aren't openly opposed to homeschooling, just lukewarm about it. Lukewarm about a lot of things, actually. 'Nother story. LOL

My MIL likes to send good books (she's a librarian)--we love that and have requested books we know we'll need, but I've never asked for actual curriculum.

I can ask certain people for certain things.

My mother will get whatever I ask for, as long as she doesn't have to order it on the internet, and if it's not too pricey. (She's scared of computers.) In fact, she got me the WTM book that was just updated this year for me. (But asked her friend to do the ordering on the computer.)

My sil will get what we ask for, as long as it's cheap.

My mil will get what we ask for, but I have to be careful what I ask her for. She likes to get things "for fun" like toys. I could only ask her for "fun" homeschool stuff, like chemistry sets. I could NOT ask her for math books! I mean, I could ask her, and she'd probably do it, but she'd be miserable. She's a sweetie-pie and I love her, so I let her get the fun stuff. (Like the chemistry sets, or the aquarium membership.)

Mil likes to chip-in occasionally for math books whenever she thinks about it, so I can't really complain.