Menu

creation v. evolution--NOT A DEBATE

When we are reading an evolutionist book I talk about creation, and vice versa.

It was a very difficult decision for me to choose a middle school science curriculum. I was planning to either use Apologia or Rainbow. I couldn't find a sample of Rainbow to study, and I didn't feel comfortable or at peace purchasing Apologia. (It was very weird; I hardly ever have 'feelings' like that, but I felt checked from purchasing it at the Christian homeschooling convention I attended with the intention of purchasing one or the other.)

I went with a secular program and supplemented with creationist information. For us I believe this was the correct choice, but I have to say that I'm surprised to have landed there. The program we are using is Science Explorer.

Yes, we do both. For creation teaching we use Answers in Genesis & ICR materials (videos, books). For evolution we use pretty much anything on Discovery, History Channel or in museums. Mine know geological ages as well as evolutionary theory. We look at the strong and weak points of each.

For Biology we use Apologia as our main text, but then I also have them read Glencoe (but not do the assignments from it - just read).

We always discuss whenever anything comes up AND I try to make it clear that even within both creation and evolution there are many people that think differently both Christian and not.

I think anyone that only teaches one side (either side) doesn't help their kids at all - esp when I recently googled polls on the issue and the US is pretty much divided 50/50. I want my kids to know what other people believe - and reasonings for it. If they didn't, I could see them getting really lost/overwhelmed in certain conversations in life - or looking like they didn't know much when they relate incorrect arguments for either. I see the latter often... sadly.

While my kids are little we will stick with creation, as they mature we will most definitely present both sides. The reason we do creation while they are small is because the evolutionist viewpoint is all around them anyway, so they still have exposure through television programs, etc.

I think it's extremely important to let them see all sides of the issue, and the flaws, and let them formulate their own opinions as they mature.

Mainly because all the science books we've used have been from a secular viewpoint. They were the ones I liked best for their science content. This year is the first time I've used a science book from a creation standpoint.

How do we do it? We read whatever it is we're reading, and then we compare that to what the Bible says. We just discuss all the info we have. I'm not threatened by evolution (I believe God created the universe and in so doing could have created processes that allowed things to adapt and evolve). I went to a secular university, and the more I learned about science, the more convinced I was that God created everything. :001_smile:

YMMV

We absolutely teach evolution. And along with it, we make sure they know its flaws and errors and equip them to refute it.

This is our plan too. At 6 years old, we have had a few teachable moments already, but I do plan to equip my child to understand the evolutionists point of view so she can accurately speak to someone about her point of view in contrast to their point of view.

Sure, I teach about evolution and I allow my children to read about it once they hit about eight years old. We keep them pretty evolution-free prior to that age because we are teaching them our own views on the subject using resources that align with our beliefs.

My son brought me a science encyclopedia from the library last night that had several pages on the Big Bang theory. I just reminded him that some people do not take the Bible literally like we do and choose to believe that theory. I told him he could read about it if he wanted to and if he wanted to talk about it to come find me.

He came back to me later and ask some really worthwhile questions. We had a great talk. I'd hate to think we never talked about the tough stuff.

As they get older, we will go deeper into evolutionary theory.

We absolutely teach evolution. And along with it, we make sure they know its flaws and errors and equip them to refute it.

Same here in our science co-op. This is no different than teaching about world religions. I really believe that kids need to have information to base their beliefs on.

Blessings,

Lucinda

So I do not intend this to be a debate but for those of you who are teaching from a creationist standpoint (especially a young earth creationist viewpoint) do you discuss evolution at all? do you give your kiddos the "other side"?

Yes. In fact, when my dd spent one month in public school last year, she was the only one in her 3rd grade class who even knew who Darwin was, about his birthday and the anniversary celebration being planned. She knew what he believed, why he believed it, and the controversy surrounding it. The other kids hadn't a clue.

If so how do you do it?

No curriculum, just as it comes up. PBS programs (and when we had satellite, National Geographic, Discover, and Animal Planet) give many occasions to discuss viewpoints. It came up early for us, as my dh loves watching educational programs, so the tv was on at least 3 hours per day (from the time he got home from work until bedtime).

Many creationists will probably pass on this thread, as we have been down this road before, so here are some previous conversations you can check out:

Theory of Evolution - do you avoid teaching it?

Do you teach your children about OPPOSING viewpoints

(Note that both were eventually locked by the Moderators. :D)

:iagree:Thank you Angela!

Yes, that is how we do it as well. We've had many opportunities through the years to do this very thing.

Look at the links Angela in ohio sent. These threads do get yucky.

Absolutely! We use God's Design for Science, but even last year when we made up our own science, we would read library books, then look at other sources (the Bible and It Couldn't Just Happen; both are AMAZING sources) and discuss what some people believe and why they want to believe that, and then we discuss what we believe, and why we believe that. It is important for me to equip my child so that she can hold her own later on.

I am partway through The Truth Project and man! I think it is an awesome resource for parents. It teaches you to examine the evidence. It pushes you to define what you really believe. Highly recommend this!

I am partway through The Truth Project and man! I think it is an awesome resource for parents. It teaches you to examine the evidence. It pushes you to define what you really believe. Highly recommend this!

I have heard so many great things about this. When I go to the link, it appears it can only be done in a group setting? I have no time for anything group at this point, but do have time to do stuff on my own. Is there a "book" you can get or study? My mil has just raved about it.

This thread has been suprisingly tame. I think you got a pass. :D

I wish I were 23 with my first little one. Enjoy it very, very much!! :001_smile: sigh....

thank you angela :)

we are trying for number two (about a year with not officially trying and we are rapidly approaching year 2 of officially trying)