Menu

argg... pushy WIC people

A while ago I posted about people wanting to send my 1 year old dd to a class for "gifted babies" that's 2 hours away, now they want me to get her tested and threatened to take my WIC away if I didn't. I told them I wasn't getting her tested and if they took the WIC away I would report them because there is no where in the rights and responsibilities that says I have to have my child tested for "giftedness" to get or keep WIC. Grrrrrrrrrrrr pushy people, just leave my baby alone and let her be a baby, there is no since in pushing her into any of this. I personally don't think any of it would do her any good anyways. :rant:

Edited by melissamathews

That was one of the reasons we quit the Wic program when my kids were younger. We didn't do it for the youngest child. I got tired of them telling me how to raise my kids as if I didn't know how to raise them from the get go. :glare: After that experience, I really frown on gov't programs.

There is always a hidden agenda!!

Holly

We stopped WIC as well due to the pushing of other programs. I understand that some people need help with finding appropriate programs/activities/whatever for their kids, but not all do and I stayed beyond frustrated that I was treated essentially like the village idiot every time I went. And consider, I did this consistently for the last 5 years with foster children. For our last I had to take her monthly to get her very expensive formula and foods for her specialized diet. I tried to give them some slack after getting to know some of the families who always seemed to be there while I was. Bless their hearts, some people really don't have a clue.

When we finally adopted our dd from foster care, we let her WIC expire. I hate it. Another thing I hated was the way to receive an appointment for recertification. You can't schedule anything in advance in our health unit. You can only make appointments for that day and you have to call between 7am and 9am to a single phone number like the many,many other people wanting an appointment that day as well for all areas of the health department. I prefer advance appointments so I can work around the therapies for my other child and childcare and all that. It is as though they assume I am just a lazy person sitting around doing nothing better than call them until the lines are open for 2 hours and then still not have an appointment for that day.

Anyway, once our dd was on the regular WIC program we added up how much we receivedin groceries and it was about $30-$40 a month. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and I could save in other parts of my life to make up the difference.

My one year old is on WIC, has been since he was born(he was on hypoallergenic formula that we couldn't afford at that time).

I have not had any problems with them telling me what to do.

We get 3 months worth of checks at a time. I just went last week and don't have to go again until March(and that appointment is already scheduled).

Sorry you are having to deal with all that :grouphug:

I would report them now. Threatening your benefits for not cooperating with anything not a part of the actual WIC program is totally a no-no and they need to be called to task.

I was always a nuisance when I/DD were on WIC. I remember once they put me in a group nutrition class, and I kept asking annoying questions, like "but don't they need healthy fats for brain development?" when they were pushing lowfat everything for 2yos.

Mysteriously, the next time we were due for the nutrition education thing, we had an appt. with a nutritionist instead for a one-on-one, supposedly because we were vegetarian.

The WIC program as a whole has recently recieved a much-needed and very helpful overhaul (if we could have gotten goat's milk on WIC when DD was little, like you can now, it would have been a BIG help), but that doesn't necessarily mean that an individual WIC office is going to be doing everything right.

A while ago I posted about people wanting to send my 1 year old dd to a class for "gifted babies" that's 2 hours away, now they want me to get her tested and threatened to take my WIC away if I didn't. I told them I wasn't getting her tested and if they took the WIC away I would report them because there is no where in the rights and responsibilities that says I have to have my child tested for "giftedness" to get or keep WIC. Grrrrrrrrrrrr pushy people, just leave my baby alone and let her be a baby, there is no since in pushing her into any of this. I personally don't think any of it would do her any good anyways. :rant:

They aren't allowed to do that! They can't take your WIC away for that. Where do they get these ideas?

And what kind of crazy person (no offense to anyone here) would take a 1 year old to gifted classes? Especially when it includes 4 hours of driving? I had to read this 5 times because I was CERTAIN my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I had WIC when my older two were little. I let it expire because I got tired of the hoop jumping and their BS. I also grew to hate everyone working at the WIC office. I haven't had it since then and probably never will again.

I am thinking about letting it go in March when I am supposed to do her next pickup. I just get so frustrated with these pushy people. I live in South Georgia, and I swear, working with the public as a gas station clerk, that everyone is half stupid. Maybe they need smart kids for the school to actually meet the NCLB requirements but that is no reason to be so pushy about these programs. All they are doing is making my reasons to homeschool list even longer.

We haven't participated in WIC in a very long time either even though we have 2 kids who would qualify for all of the reasons stated above. I've nursed all my kids so expensive formula was never an issue. And the BS wasn't worth $10 a week worth of groceries.

WIC told me my oldest son was 2 lbs overweight and needed to be on a lowfat diet at the ripe old age of 2. (Nevermind that both his weight AND his height were in the 99th percentile and well in proportion to each other. He was just twice the size of every other 2yo on the block. :lol:) The Ped and I had a great laugh over that one. I also got booted from the nutrition classes, like one of the other posters did, for being smarter and more up-to-date on my information than the nutritionist. They wanted me to write an article for their newsletter on bf'ing because I had bfed 3 kids at that point. I told them I had an oversupply problem with my first with which they were absolutely no help. I had a latch problem with my second and again they were no help. And my 3rd child contracted vaccine related meningitis at 2 months old despite the "superior immunity" given by breastmilk. I persevered in spite of WIC not because it. They agreed that I might not be the person they wanted to write the article. :lol:

To the OP, they threaten your benefits because they think you are too stupid to know that they can't and they probably get something for referring kids to this program whether it be an "Attaboy" from their superiors or some other kind of kickback or its someone's pet project. I'd point out to them that as a WIC participant, they know your income, and what makes them think you have the money to drive your one year old to this class?

Edited by prairie rose

We have been off and on WIC for several years. I had no idea other clinics were this bad. I have never been offered any kind of classes, referred for anything. No comment has ever been made on our no-vax status. The only comment I got was complete amazement that I make my own crackers. She had heard of people making their own bread but never crackers. Oh and lots of good words for nursing past 6 months. Day of pickup is simply show up between 10 and 6 whatever is convenient for me. I've never waited more than 15 minutes. I'm really sorry for all those who have to deal with crappy clinics. But I also wanted to let others know that there are some well run ones out there. We'd really be sunk right now without the extra grocery help. I do love the new whole grains and fresh veggies/fruits that are available.

We have been off and on WIC for several years. I had no idea other clinics were this bad. I have never been offered any kind of classes, referred for anything. No comment has ever been made on our no-vax status. :iagree:

We have had WIC a few different times in Oregon and Washington. Both as a 22yo first time mom and a 38yo foster parent. I have always been treated with respect, patience and kindness. They ask questions about abuse and fluoride, about if I am a registered voter or not, but they are form questions and not due to the workers interests. I haven't ever had a problem telling them we don't use fluoride or alter the vax schedule. In fact my worker and I usually end up chatting about food, very different from the WIC options and how we work around dd3s dairy allergy. They have been very helpful and never intrusive. The standard information that they give is very, very basic...I knew more that they were presenting at 22yo, but it was never offensive. DD3 was Wayyyyy off the charts as a baby for weight (30lbs at 12mths) and after talking to me about what she ate, they never gave me any grief about it. It was just her at the time.

We do schedule appointments, and can do online classes every other time, so I only see the worker twice a year now. The appointments are quick and easy.

I too just want to give another view of a different office, so someone isn't scared off just due to hearing a negative review.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I know all offices are not like this, just a warning for all of those who might move to Ben Hill County in Georgia, actually I think all the programs in Ben Hill county are not worth the trouble with dealing with these people, Dh and I talked about it last night and we might just transfer the WIC to Coffee county where we take dd to the pediatrician, actually if we weren't so tight on money and wanting to just move back to Michigan, we would just move to Coffee County, it amazing the difference you see when crossing the county line

my thoughts exactly, how do they know she's gifted? I know she is advanced but gifted? I figured I would wait until she is old enough for actual academic stuff before deciding to test for giftedness. Until then we are just going to keep doing what we have been at home, which is just playing and reading with her.

That was one of the reasons we quit the Wic program when my kids were younger. We didn't do it for the youngest child. I got tired of them telling me how to raise my kids as if I didn't know how to raise them from the get go. :glare: After that experience, I really frown on gov't programs.

There is always a hidden agenda!!

Holly

No, not really. That's just a mindset some people have -- someone is always out to get them.

My housekeeper in Florida is on WIC, as are her married nieces, and they have never had anything but good to say about it. They don't meddle, and they don't tell them they have to join programs they're not interested in. However, when one of the babies was in the 1% of weight and height, the doctor ordered tests, prescribed nutritional supplements and requested that the baby come back more often. I guess some people could see this as meddling and a secret agenda.

That being said, the WIC deals with a great many children who are not being provided the best possible care by their parents. It looks like the OP's office is a bit over-exuberant. She should report this threat IMMEDIATELY to the supervisor of the person who made the threat. She should tell them that if she hears one more threat she's going to Legal Aid. They'll back off. They have no right to force their programs down her throat.

For every gifted child that shows "gifted" traits at a super early age, there is a gifted child who appears perfectly normal, whose parents never suspect their baby might be "gifted."

Regardless of a baby's "giftedness" -- there is absolutely no need for any type of formal "classes" to help a baby reach his or her potential. Environment is an important aspect, but 4 hours of driving for a baby is pure torture!

I vote with those who said to "report them now!"

Currently, I have 4 noticeably gifted children, although the middle two seemed pretty normal until they hit about age 3... Even if classes had been available for my early walking, talking (verbose) first child -- I wouldn't have signed him up!

Good grief. What a pain.

Maybe WIC is thinking that a gifted baby should fulfill her potential by taking up a job to help the family get off of assistance? I'm stumped.

The whole thing, from gifted baby classes to WIC's response, is odd to me, but the OP shouldn't have to justify anything above and beyond what anyone else does. Odd.

I have not had any problems with them telling me what to do.

We get 3 months worth of checks at a time. I just went last week and don't have to go again until March(and that appointment is already scheduled).

Sorry you are having to dealwith all that

:iagree:

I've never had a problem.

They ask me the basic form questions, and don't seem to care of the answers are not mainstream (ie. extended breastfeeding, non-vax, homeschool). I refuse the iron test for the kids every time, but let them do mine because I want to know mine. I have really heavy cycles and have been borderline anemic in the past so I don't mind the check. I get positive comments all the time (every visit) about how "healthy" the kids are, how well-behaved the kids are, about how great homeschooling is, etc. I've never been required to attend a class. Technically, I was suppose to attend a breastfeeding class but they figured that, after six years of successful breastfeeding, I didn't need the class. They did ask if I would be willing to attend the class as kind of a mentor mom, saying I probably knew more than the teacher and could help answer questions. Their class schedule didn't work with mine, though, so it didn't happen.

Really, the appointments are kind of a boost for me. I don't mind all of the compliments.

Maybe WIC is thinking that a gifted baby should fulfill her potential by taking up a job to help the family get off of assistance? I'm stumped.

The whole thing, from gifted baby classes to WIC's response, is odd to me, but the OP shouldn't have to justify anything above and beyond what anyone else does. Odd.

I really wonder about the WIC office's motivation in this case. How could having her baby attend a class for gifted babies benefit them? It is odd. I wonder how many other people have been similarly threatened?

As far as WIC goes, we just quit this past spring. I was only receiving formula. We drove the 20 minutes to the office, sat there for 45 minutes during which time no one was called back. There were 4-5 other people ahead of us. I just decided it wasn't worth it and left. We were (are) on food stamps, though, so I can purchase the formula with that.

They're giving you something; why shouldn't you have to jump through their hoops? For anything else that people want, they have to fulfill whatever requirements it takes - why should WIC be any different? I'm not saying this is a reasonable requirement (either the gifted classes or all the other things people have posted) but if that's the "cost" of getting what they're offering, it doesn't seem the OP has much room to complain. If you don't want to follow their plan, just leave the program.

They're giving you something; why shouldn't you have to jump through their hoops? For anything else that people want, they have to fulfill whatever requirements it takes - why should WIC be any different? I'm not saying this is a reasonable requirement (either the gifted classes or all the other things people have posted) but if that's the "cost" of getting what they're offering, it doesn't seem the OP has much room to complain. If you don't want to follow their plan, just leave the program.

Yes, that is true to an extent. However, no office can require more than the law allows them to. The regular things - the classes, the nutritionist meetings, etc. are the things that are required (and generally for a good reason.) Those who are in real need of the program will jump through whatever hoops the law dictates while others who are more fortunate will not. If we did not receive food stamps, I would go for WIC for the formula because that isn't something you can get from food pantries and it costs more than we could pay at this time.

They're giving you something; why shouldn't you have to jump through their hoops?

They're not "giving" her anything. She is entitled to this service. The person who made the threat is not doing her a favor. She's a government servant. She works for the OP. The program is supported by tax dollars and it is the OP's right to have the services if she needs them without undue interference. This is undue interference in my book.

Now if she was going to a private church where she was receiving goods or services and they required her to pray if she wanted milk for her baby, then yeah -- pray or starve. But not in the case of WIC.

They're not "giving" her anything. She is entitled to this service. The person who made the threat is not doing her a favor. She's a government servant. She works for the OP. The program is supported by tax dollars and it is the OP's right to have the services if she needs them without undue interference. This is undue interference in my book.

Now if she was going to a private church where she was receiving goods or services and they required her to pray if she wanted milk for her baby, then yeah -- pray or starve. But not in the case of WIC.

I agree...I think you need to talk to someone over the program. When we got wic you went to the appointment, they checked their weight and iron level every 6 months. And then every 3 months you needed to attend a nutritional meeting. I breastfeed 2 out of my 3 and I continued to get food while breastfeeding.

hth

lori

I had a pretty good experience with WIC when dd was little. We just went every third month or so to get the checks. Then every so often, they would do an iron check on her and every so often we would have a short chat with the nutritionist. It is a great program and was a real help to our family.

I would say that the OP need to talk to a supervisor or someone because what the worker said to her is really strange and just wrong.:glare:

a little update... I was told from one of the other office ladies that the girl who told me that was a new person and that she is no longer there. One of the other ladies over heard her telling me that stuff about the test and reported her.

She must have been saying some off-the-wall things to more than just one person to get fired so fast. Either that, or she didn't like the criticism. Well, that's one less person to deal with in WIC. I remember when our food stamp office was really bad. The employees there acted like it was their personal money they were giving out, and only to favorites. The whole office got an overhaul (as in, not many of those employees - if any- still work there).

a little update... I was told from one of the other office ladies that the girl who told me that was a new person and that she is no longer there. One of the other ladies over heard her telling me that stuff about the test and reported her.

That makes your life easier!

Does your WIC office administer something like the Ages and Stages Questionnaires? Is that the test you are talking about?