Menu

Where to shop for dresses that are . . . ?

Modest but not frumpy? Feminine, cute, and youthful without being suggestive, revealing, or "I may be 36 but I'm desperately clinging to 16"? KWIM? :D

I'm trying to find church attire (a new thing for me), and it seems like there is nothing out there that is a happy medium between sexy and burlap sack. Please tell me I'm just shopping in the wrong stores and point me to the right ones? :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! This is a huge help. I actually went shopping on Black Friday (crazy, I know) and came home with only a pair of jeans because I could not find *any* church-appropriate clothes. But you've given me hope. They are out there. :001_smile:

I don't like Coldwater Creek or Chico's...they both seem too "old lady" for me. Maybe I just hit them at the wrong time? (for example, sometimes I love the Gap and want everything in the store...but other times I can't find a single item I even bother trying on).

My favorite for dresses or blouses/skirts is Macy's I.N.C. brand. Lots of the I.N.C. stuff is really low cut, made for gals who want to show off their booKs. I don't want to display my cleavage, so I have to really pick through the racks. But I have found some real winners there. Pricey, but I usually start with the sale rack, and I don't think I've paid full price for much.

I don't like Coldwater Creek or Chico's...they both seem too "old lady" for me.

I love these two but they are for the slightly older crowd and they are a bit on the expensive side. Both have some great basics though and then some funky flair pieces as well. Also Chicos travel pieces are great.

When my hubby worked at Chicos, I got to go to the warehouse sale every six months and I can tell you, I own one whole heck of a lot of Chicos that I got for $2-$3 a piece. You can't get a t-shirt at Chico's for under $30 here. Another place very similar to Chico's is Travel Smith.

If you are wanting a little younger you can find things in the following if you more patient: Newport News, Spiegals, Chadwick's. They are cheaper and more youthful but still have some good basic and a little funk.

JC Penney's in mall stores have better selections as do Macy's and other big department stores. Just check the Misses depts. not the Juniors.

I really like Ann Taylor Loft. I shopped there for the first time this summer when I asked my sister-in-law where to go to find a dress to wear to a wedding. I found a dress and got a $25 off deal to use at a future date.

I went back and found a cute pair of pants, sweater, scarf that the sales lady helped me put together. I love that outfit. I bought a skirt at Macy's to mix and match.

I told my husband I would love anything from Ann Taylor Loft for Christmas. I think it is a little less expensive than Ann Taylor.

Happy shopping!

I was just there the other day. I'm plus size so in my size there was only grandma-wear but the misses sizes had quite a bit of cute stuff. Also agreeing with Macys being a possibility.

If you are size 14ish you could find some fun stuff at Lane Bryant. Most regular size people avoid shopping plus size stores so you can find great deals on size 14 and 16 clothing.

Ross or TJ Maxx? I'm super anti-grandma clothing but have found cute adult appropriate clothing at Ross.

Thrift stores? Dress clothes are usually in excellent condition because people don't wear them much. I love thrift stores. I get most of my kids clothing from thrift stores and yard sales and someone told me the other day that my children always look like Catalog Children. I don't fit most thrift store clothing, otherwise I'd have a sizable second hand wardrobe also.

I have found success at the Dress Barn and I have liked the Coldwater Creek clothes. Someone at chruch had coupons but didn't give me one because they said I was too young for the store. I am 30 years old and I liked the skirts. I didn't think the skirts were for little old ladies but I don't see a 16 or early 20's wearting their clothes.

Orvis tends to make all their skirts too long, but I'm too lazy to hem them.

I'm fairly tall (with about 90% of my height in my legs :D ) so this might actually work well for me. It never even occurred to me to check with Orvis. I thought they sold clothes for men who like fishing and outdoor sports??? Is that the same Orvis?

The REAL key is getting very. good. supportive. not-ugly. shoes.

Yeah, I could use some help in that department too!!! I'm finding that because of my back problems, I simply cannot stand through the entire liturgy in heels. I'm restricted to flats, which, let's face it, just aren't as flattering when you have feet as big as mine. But I'd much rather be paying attention to the liturgy than distracted by the pain, so flats it is. I have one pair of Earth Shoes, and those are super comfy! The heel actually sits a bit lower than the rest of the foot, just a bit, so it makes standing very tolerable -- like mountain pose in yoga.

Thanks for the reminder about JC Penney. I haven't shopped there in years, but don't really know why I stopped. I had pretty good luck there. And it's affordable for me.

I actually had no luck at Macy's this weekend at all. I wandered through the entire store and did not find one thing worth trying on! Maybe I'm just too picky. I'll have to take my Mom's advice and start making my clothes I guess. :D

I just got a catalogue from www.sierratradingpost.com and they had some lovely ensembles on sale (it's a closeout site), very modest but not at all frumpy. They also have a wide range of prices. (Orvis is frequently on there, as well as other designers). I really like the site -- you can get everything from great sports clothing (running bras, etc.) to shoes, to clothes, etc. at seriously discounted prices.

My main consolation is that everyone else's shoes are as ugly as mine. (grin) (Or worse...I'm a shoe snob.)

:D Many of the women at my church wear heels -- they are made of tougher stuff than I. But many don't, and in fact one wears either sneakers or Birkenstocks with socks. So, I figure I'm good with my flats. ;)

Okay, I just realized how completely weird that must sound that I am checking out all the other women's shoes. But being new to this particular little church, and new to this Church as in the whole religion, I've been trying to pay a lot of attention to all the details, even the "superficial" ones like dress, in order to understand the unspoken church culture better. And shoes particularly got my attention, because we're standing the whole time! :001_smile:

If price isn't the main consideration, Coldwater Creek has some very nice dresses & skirt/blouse combos.

Yes! And if you visit their website and request their catalog, you'll always know when they have sales. I've bought many cute outfits on sale that scream, "I'm 51 and I still look good." (Ok, maybe in my own mind I still look good, but you know what I mean.)

I think we are shoe soul/sole-mates.

:D

I have some nice Clarks and a couple of other very good quality shoes that save the day.

I've never owned any Clarks but I've heard good things about them. Another excuse for more shopping! :)

You ain't seen nuthin' until Lent. Get. good. shoes. by. then. :thumbup1:

Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Yes! And if you visit their website and request their catalog, you'll always know when they have sales.

They are out of my price range, unfortunately, but I will keep an eye on their sales.

I've bought many cute outfits on sale that scream, "I'm 51 and I still look good." (Ok, maybe in my own mind I still look good, but you know what I mean.)

Really, it's not so much about how we look, but how we feel about how we look, right? (And I bet you do look good!)

I was just there the other day. I'm plus size so in my size there was only grandma-wear but the misses sizes had quite a bit of cute stuff. Also agreeing with Macys being a possibility.

If you are size 14ish you could find some fun stuff at Lane Bryant. Most regular size people avoid shopping plus size stores so you can find great deals on size 14 and 16 clothing.

Ross or TJ Maxx? I'm super anti-grandma clothing but have found cute adult appropriate clothing at Ross.

Thrift stores? Dress clothes are usually in excellent condition because people don't wear them much. I love thrift stores. I get most of my kids clothing from thrift stores and yard sales and someone told me the other day that my children always look like Catalog Children. I don't fit most thrift store clothing, otherwise I'd have a sizable second hand wardrobe also.

I love Ross too! :) Brand name prices for less... Jones NY, Ann Taylor, etc. Haven't been to TJ Maxx or Marshall's in a while, but the same is basically true for them, too.