Menu

Found tick on my son. Take him to dr. or not?

Yesterday, my son was complaining that there was something stuck to his ear (inside the fold of his ear). I looked and was horrified to discover a tick that was rather large (so it had probably been there for a while). I pulled it off and flushed it (should have saved it, know). He does not have a rash. I couldn't tell what kind of tick it was, just that the head and legs were black and the body was light tan and large (cm?) b/c it had been on his ear, feasting on the poor boy for a day or so. Dh said that ds had complained of his ear "hurting" the day before or so...but couldn't find anything (probably b/c the darn thing was inside the fold of his ear). I only say it b/c it was then large enough so that it looked like a skin tag handing off his ear. Should I take him to the dr. to test for Lymes or not? Thanks, Dr. Hive!

My dd came home from my parents with 2 on her this summer. The dr. said not to worry unless she started acting ill. Of course, Lyme disease is practically non-existent down here, so I guess it depends on your area.

It was funny - I'm not usually a freak out person about illness but I was ready to run to the dr. DH laughed at me and related many, many stories about scout camp and ticks. Usually he's the freak out man.

Lymes??

I have had a few ticks, living in the bush does that to you. Got 2 out myself the other i saw the Dr, it was in an unreachable place. I have never been tested for anything from having a tick, even when visiting the Dr. They were just removed it, you have to make sure you get the head. Then apply some antiseptic.

The site can itch like mad for months. It is the anesthetic in their saliva that makes you really itchy over a long period even after they are out.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I believe it is usually the tiny deer ticks that carry lymes. I've had tick borne illness myself, but I do not take the kids to the doctor for tick bites. (I didn't get it in this area) If I did take the kids in, we would be there about a dozen times a year. Ticks abound here. I just keep on the lookout for symptoms.

The tic's that carry Lyme Disease is only as big as the head of a pin AFTER it is engorged. They are tiny, tiny tiny. Hard to see until they've been on a few days. Also, only 75% or something like that will actually get the bulls eye rash so don't wait for that. My son got Lymes with out the rash..only a fever and then months later, lameness. If it was the tiny tic I would watch for ANY sign of sickness such as fever or rash & if anything shows up insist on being tested. If it was the big tic I'd just watch the skin for sign of infection. BOL. Tic's are icky.

I'm not sure how prevalent Lyme is in your area. Here in MA, if anyone has a deer tick that's been on for any period of time, I get them treated, but we've got something like the highest levels of Lyme on the planet.

There are actually a lot of other kinds of diseases ticks can transmit, depending on the kind of tick and where you're located. My friend got what could have been a very serious disease (not Lyme) from a tick when she was down in NJ (I think it was from a Lone-Star tick which we don't have much up here). Dog/Wood ticks are the least problematic. That's pretty much all we had here when we were kids and I don't think they transmit much.

Not knowing what kind of tick it was or how much Lyme you've got there it's hard to say what to do...

Upon going to my dermatologist this past summer for an annual check he discovered a tick on my back. I could not tell it was there. He didn't want to remove it, he said one of his nurses' was better at it. So, in she came and removed it lickety-split.

Now, he said there are 3 choices.

1. Do nothing...wait and see IF a rash developes

2. Based on number 1, then there would be a longer medicine protocol

3. Start on med now, it's one pill, period

He said that the rash might not show up for a couple of weeks...2-4 rings a bell, so watch for rash and other atypical symptoms for the rest of the month.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sheryl <><

The tic's that carry Lyme Disease is only as big as the head of a pin AFTER it is engorged.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. They nymphs are only that big. The adults (which you're much likely to find at this time of year) are about the size of a nymph dog tick - still small, but much bigger than the head of a pin. Pictures here. Engorged they are double or triple the size. Eew.

It would depend whether Lymes is prevalent in your part of PA or not. What you described is a dog tick--way too large for a deer tick. In areas without Lymes, they do not pretreat. My guess is that Lymes isn't prevalent in your area or you would have had more tick bites and would know more about it. But call your dr. to see what s/he says.

Should I take him to the dr. to test for Lymes or not? Thanks, Dr. Hive!

Does your doctor's office do phone consults for this stuff? (Some doctors offices will do this for established patients.)

Sometimes, if you just call and ask them if they'd like to see you or not, they might say don't worry about it and do this and that, Or might schedule an appointment, or something.

give them a call and ask about it.

-crystal

Actually, that's not necessarily true. They nymphs are only that big. The adults (which you're much likely to find at this time of year) are about the size of a nymph dog tick - still small, but much bigger than the head of a pin. Pictures here. Engorged they are double or triple the size. Eew.

Well golly. Ya learn something new every day. I did not know that adults were bigger. THanks. :) However a quick search does say that adults are less likely to bite humans & it is the nymphs that cause most of the disease transmission. So it is still hopeful it is a dog tick eh?

Nymphs are capable of transmiting the most disease to humans during their appearence in spring and early summer. Most Lyme disease transmisson to humans occurs from nymphs infected the previous season from small rodents such as the the white footed mouse.

Larva: Small rodents such as the White-Footed mouse, chipmunks

Nymph: Small rodents, dogs, humans

Adult: Deer, occasionally horses and humans

Thanks for setting me straight! :) I do hope all will be well with your son. I despise tics. Icckk.

I had one here in the Poconos (deer tick country!) I did save the tick, but my dr. told me to wait and observe.

With a child, I might be a little more proactive, but I'm also somewhat paranoid. My father got Lymes in the early days (1980-ish) and is still plagued with issues that may or may not have been caused by it.

We find ticks on us all the time, and my youngest pulled one off her neck last night. She had been playing in the woods with friends yesterday. So far, we''ve not tested + for Lyme, and I do have them tested occasionally because Lyme is so prevalent here.

However, it would not be prudent to start a course of anbtx each time we found a tick, so I would say no, but to keep an eye in case you see signs of Lyme (list is long). Not all people get the bulls-eye, and Lyme -carrying ticks can be light colored, sometimes blending right into the skin. It's probably not the first time he's had a tick on him, kwim?

If Lymes is possible in your area, I'd rather be on antibiotics for 3 weeks than chance it. If you let it go full blown, you can have something that you can't get rid of. I know two people with Lymes... one is just tired a lot.... and a few other symptoms... The other goes blind....and has other problems... and then gets a bit better with the Oxygen therapy. Never can remember what it's called..... The one where you get almost pure oxygen...

Carrie

I wouldn't, but we used to have contests to see who had the most ticks in one day. So far my 16yo is the running champion with 13!

I have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, so I understand the fear of tick diseases. However, there is no way I would go on preventative antibiotics for every tick. When we lived in a tick prone area, we would do daily checks, but sometimes they got missed (like in the ear folds or the belly button!)

We live in AR, on a farm, with lots of woods and deer. We get ticks on us all the time, though rarely attached. IF one of my kids had a tick that was attached for more then a couple of hours, I would simply register that information in my mind and keep aware of possible signs of Lymes. I would not go to the Dr. unless I noticed a possible symptom.

We only go in to the doctor if the tick has been on for 24 hours or more, so in your case I would go in. (Although given its size, it sounds like a dog tick.) Otherwise, we just remove it, apply topical antibiotic, and cover it with a band-aid for a day or two.

I wouldn't, but we used to have contests to see who had the most ticks in one day. So far my 16yo is the running champion with 13!

I have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, so I understand the fear of tick diseases. However, there is no way I would go on preventative antibiotics for every tick. When we lived in a tick prone area, we would do daily checks, but sometimes they got missed (like in the ear folds or the belly button!)

Fun fact: Did you know that RMSF is a derivative of Typhus? A really close one.

The things you learn reading weird epidemiology books.

a

I would call the doctor and see what he recommends. Lyme Disease is pretty common here, but we couldn't possibly do preventative meds every time my kids get a tick; they'd be on antibiotics for the entire summer. I occasionally re-read the symptoms of lyme disease so I can take the kids in if they start having symptoms. We saw more of the small ticks this summer than ever before - so small we had to use a magnifying glass to remove them. That was worrisome, but none of them developed symptoms of lyme disease.

Based on what I've read and pictures I've seen, I do believe this was a dog tick. So far, he does not have a rash or any other symptoms. When I had Lyme's, we caught it right away (b/c I had the rash). My symptoms were extreme fatigue, dizziness, muscle aches but no fever. I'll just keep a good eye on him. Thanks, everyone. We do have a high population of deer around here, but not sure if Lyme is all that prevalent. My kids get maybe one tick each every year...sometimes none at all.

Lyme is no joke, and it can manifest itself in many ways. Only a certain % of people get "the rash"; with my dd, our first serious tip-off was actually vision problems (the Lyme is in her central nervous system). A couple weeks ago, I was bitten by a deer (black-legged) tick on my scalp, and began to get a rash within a short time. Btw, the tick you described sounded just like the one I found on me. :tongue_smilie: Needless to say, I am on an antibiotic without waiting to become "positive" by CDC standards. We are praying that our dd fully recovers as her Lyme went undiagnosed for so long. As a matter of fact, by God's incredible mercy, I was the one to diagnose her and keep pushing for testing. All of this despite living in an area HIGHLY endemic for Lyme disease. According to last year's stats, one of every two deer ticks tested in our county carried the Lyme bacteria. Can you believe that?

So.... get your son treated, especially as you have Lyme in PA. Insist on it.

God bless you,

Cindy

One more thing - besides keeping an eye for rash or fever, look for signs of infection at the site. My dd8 had a tick bite this summer that seemed fine at first, but the lymph node under it became infected about a week after the bite. It swelled and became locally fevered. She had to have antibiotics, but it cleared up without a problem. I had been looking for local infection, but was surprised at the infected lymph node which is apparently not uncommon.

oNeedless to say, I am on an antibiotic without waiting to become "positive" by CDC standards. We are praying that our dd fully recovers as her Lyme went undiagnosed for so long.

God bless you,

Cindy

I'm sure that you realize that you need to be on for quite a while... although I"m not sure ...if it's a new antibiotic...

Even when my cousin was given antibiotics... it wasn't for a long enough treatment...

I wonder if the preventative antibiotics work differently. My ds developed a bullseye rash when he was 16mos. The area began looking like a bad mosquito bite. Anyway, he went on antibiotics for 3 weeks and was fine. I have to say that it was the only course of meds where I never missed a dose.:tongue_smilie: