Menu

What is your favorite restaurant and where is it located?

Our new favorite restaurant is one we probably won't be able to go to again. The Olympic is a special restaurant on the Celebrity Millenium cruise ship. It was absolutely spectacular! Both the service, the food and the decor was stunning!

This place isn't a restaurant, but it is a great place to go. It is a local store that offers cooking classes (you do get to eat your culinary creations :001_smile:) and kitchen accessories. Recently a lady who opened a tea shop in town moved her business into this kitchen/cooking store. I love to go and browse and buy new teas. They are all loose teas. She has some wonderful blends. I bought 5 new flavors the other day and have tried a couple and just love them.

My dd and I are taking some cooking classes over the next few months as well. It is a neat place to go and it helps support my dd dreams of becoming a chef and opening her own cafe/restaurant someday.

This is a hard... I like a number. I would say right now my favorite is called Rice, a Thai place in the historic district of Roswell, just north of Atl. The food is amazing! Rice is located in a historic Civil War era house. You can sip a glass of red wine on the front porch while families walk by on a warm spring afternoon. That said, there are about 100 others in the metro Atl area I love. I guess I like food too much.

:cheers2:

Guest Virginia Dawn
La Carreta in Nashua, NH

Best Mexican I've ever had- ever! In a nondescript strip mall, even... just goes to show ya- you can't judge a book by its cover!:)

Hey, I have family in Nashua. I'll have to check this out. :001_smile:

I'm not one to have just one favourite, so I'll list a few that I can remember off the top of my head that I've really enjoyed.

The Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA.

The Cliffhouse Restaurant in San Francisco (but that was in the 1970s)

The Union Oyster House in Boston, MA

It's gone now, but The Casa Martinez that used to be on the Sunshine Coast in BC was fabulous.

Sadly, with my memory for names, I can't remember some of my all time favourites.

As for pizza, please don't take this personally if you live "back east" (or "down east" as the case may be) but all of the best pizzas I've ever eaten were in Vancouver and California--they just don't do pizza the same way here, at least not in any of the places I've seen in ON and New England. Or the midwest. Greek pizza, Italian pizza, gourmet pizza. Also, pizza with "everything" on it is far different in the west (to me that's anything on the shores of the Pacific in US & Canada;)) than anything I've seen since I moved east.

Since dh is watching sports and never comes on this board, he's not here to give the other opinion in our family!

Hey, I want your list of "about 100"! Preferably the ones that are more in-town, not way up in Roswell! :)

What kinds of places do you like? Mexican, Asian, Greek, Middle Eastern, French, etc! There are a bunch along Buford Hwy (everything from French to Vietnamese). China Town is a must; the food court alone will keep you busy!

Here are a few intown...

Calcutta (Indian) 1138 Euclid Ave

Vortex Bar & Grill (American) 438 Moreland Ave

Zocalo (Mexican) 187 10th St

Haveli Indian Cuisine (Indian) 225 Spring St

Ru San's (Japanese) 1529 Piedmont Rd

Taqueria del Sol (Southwestern) 359 W. Ponce de Leon Ave.!!!!

And a few OTP (that's Outside the Perimeter..lol)

Pure Taqueria 103 Roswell St, Alpharetta

The Fickle Pickle Canton St Roswell

VG Bistro West Crossville, Roswell

Pastis (French) Canton St, Roswel

India Chef, Alph Hwy

Ok, I'm boring all who are not from here or will never venture to our fair Peachy city.. :biggrinjester:

Oh, I've had so many favorites over the years that I don't know. I like the Brennan family restaurants in New Orleans: Commanders, Mr. B's, Crystal Palace. I don't know if all of them have re-opened in the wake of Katrina.

I used to love Lafitte's Landing, but it burned down. It was on the River Road between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I mourn the loss of Middendorf's on the Intercoastal Waterway and the Blue Rose in Bay St. Louis. Both lost to Katrina.

We used to love a decades old dive in Baton Rouge that served continental fare, but the owners finally retired and moved back to Europe. We still love the 75 year old Fleur de Lis Roman Pizza dive in Baton Rouge.

Baton Rouge used to have simply tons of great restaurants, but now they're all closing and being replaced by franchises as the original chefs/owners pass away or retire with no one to leave their business to....

There's a great restaurant up in Bayside, WI (it carries a lady's name, but I'm at a loss right now). We eat there almost every night when we're there.

I like any dive in Charlotte that's serving she-crab soup, crab fritters, or any other crab dish, LOL!

I adore good food!

Regena

We love Domingos in Boron, CA-- it is the BEST Mexican in America.

We love Osaka Sushi in Davis, CA.

A little sea food place in Bar Harbor Maine was the best seafood we've ever had. We ate there for our 5 th anniversary and we still talk about it.

And Italian in the Italian district in Boston. Oh my. Now that was good stuff. I can't remember the name.

The places I have fond memories of are from grad school days in Rochester, NY.

Chester Cab Pizza

Waterworks for pizza

Rooties (in Buffalo) -- best wings ever!

Mamasan (thai)

Golden Dynasty (chinese)

Creme de la Creme (desserts)

Ciao

di Bella (best subs ever!)

Town I grew up in (Owensboro, KY) had BBQ -- the best.

Old Hickory

Moonlight

Seafood - Michael's in Timonium, MD. Their crabcakes are amazing.

http://www.michaelscafe.com/home.asp?page=home&Type=list-week

Subs - Maria's in Parkville, MD. It's a dive, but the food is soooo good. They import their pizza sauce from Greece.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=12599761

Steak - Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC

http://www.angusbarn.com/

I want to do a road trip to find all those great places from the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!! Who wants to come? Have any of you eating at any seen on the show?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv :auto:

We love Guy's show. We often say it would be so much fun to just road trip and try different restaurants. This was my prompt for the original question. So I am so there for a Diner roadtrip.:auto:

I've been to Michael's. Have you been to Holly's? I cannot remember exactly where it is. (Somewhere on the way to the shore in Maryland.) Great crabcake sandwiches.

What a small world we live in. Have you been to Fisherman's Inn on the way to the shore. It is just after you cross the Kent Narrows Bridge. The food is fantastic.

You all are making me realize I really need to eat out more. :001_smile:

All my favorite restaurants are places we have eaten at on vacation, and I don't remember the names. We had some great seafood in Seattle, and some wonderful Mexican food in Cancun. And I loved every restaurant at Disney World because they were amazingly knowledgeable about food allergies and had soy ice cream and rice milk on hand for my son.

I've been to Michael's. Have you been to Holly's? I cannot remember exactly where it is. (Somewhere on the way to the shore in Maryland.) Great crabcake sandwiches.

No, I'm not familiar with Holly's.

Have you been to Bay n Surf in Laurel? Gibby's in Cockeysville?

Towson Deli has the best shrimp salad subs!

This thread is making me hungry. :tongue_smilie:

In Huntsville, AL, we love:

Bandito Burrito Co. (Mexican)

Miso House (Sushi)

In Las Cruces, NM:

Nopalitos (Mexican)

Los Compas (Mexican)

In Prescott, AZ:

Cattleman's Bar & Grill (fantastic steaks)

El Charro's (Mexican - can you see a theme to our favorites?)

Ruidoso, NM:

Chef Lupe's (to-die-for menudo!)

I've gotta go to bed. Now I'm hungry.