Menu

The Teaching Company is having the BEST sale YET!!

For those whose coupon codes worked, what browser are you using? I can't get the price to drop using that code on firefox. Any other tips for the impoverished?? :tongue_smilie:

What web address are you using? I don't think it's Firefox - I couldn't get it to work with one address but did with another (both of which appeared to point to the same site called The Teaching Company - same graphics, same wallpaper). Make sure you're using theteachingcompany.com and not thegreatcourses.com - the latter wouldn't accept the code (or, it would accept it but not change any of the prices).

I had the same feeling, dd is enjoying Museum Masterpieces and I'm trying to find something for next year. So many choices and such great prices!

After reading and rereading the descriptions and reviews, I went with US History, Vol. 2 and Western Civilization. I was afraid the HS courses might not be engaging enough for my oldest for the next two years.

I emailed anyone who asked about how I got the prices. The teaching company told me the way for me to share, (legally) was to forward the email, which I will gladly do. Many of the prices are the same as they are with the code already mentioned, others are not. The sale mentioned was specific to CD's but while looking I realized it influences prices on some other programs DVD's as well. ;) It runs until midnight on Sunday.

Glad it worked Jeri!

Okay, I have been playing around for HOURS, and I've figured a few things out. As another poster said, you cannot go to the great courses site, even though it looks identical. Also, if you add purchases to your cart after using the code, you must enter it again.

But the weirdest thing? At the same site/url, I had different prices showing up depending on what computer I was on. For example, The Art of Reading showed up on sale on one computer, and not another, BUT, when I put it in my cart on the non-sale 'puter, and entered the code, it wound up as the same price ($35). So, if a course isn't showing up on sale, the code MIGHT get you the good price anyway. This occurred on at least two courses for me.

I can NOT for the life of me figure out why some sale courses get an extra percent off, and others do not (even courses that other people have said discounted for them). For example, Black Holes never got below $40 for me on any 'puter.

I ordered: Joy of Thinking, $35; Winston Churchill, $15; Hitler's Empire, $15; History of London, $35; Story of Human Language, $50; Physics in Your Life, $50; and Western Canon in Context, $50. Maybe a few more that I forget, lol!

I'm going to keep checking back and see if prices change . . .

But the weirdest thing? At the same site/url, I had different prices showing up depending on what computer I was on. For example, The Art of Reading showed up on sale on one computer, and not another, BUT, when I put it in my cart on the non-sale 'puter, and entered the code, it wound up as the same price ($35). So, if a course isn't showing up on sale, the code MIGHT get you the good price anyway. This occurred on at least two courses for me.

I can NOT for the life of me figure out why some sale courses get an extra percent off, and others do not (even courses that other people have said discounted for them). For example, Black Holes never got below $40 for me on any 'puter.

I'm going to keep checking back and see if prices change . . .

That's very strange!

Algebra 2 is a new course so you can't get below the current sale price of $79.95

Correction the Algebra 1 course is the revised course NOT alg.1 so you can't get alg. 2 for less than $79.95

Edited by MIch elle
correction

They are both $39.95 individually but $74.95 in the set.

I just tried again - Alg I by itself stubbornly stays at $79.95 - the only thing the code gave me for that one was free shipping. :glare: Alg II, oddly is showing right now as $39.95 even without the coupon. The combo also won't move for me - $149.95, which is more than buying them individually at those prices! :confused:

Someone said they got different prices on different computers - maybe I should go try on dh's computer!

I'm having the same malfunction, after adding Algebra from many different paths. I don't need it but just tried. Sorry.

Can anyone comment on my final list?

1. Joy of Science by Hazan...Science Matters author....has anyone watched this?

2. Big History: The Big Bang, Life on EArth, and the Rise of Humanity....good reviews.

3. How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (want this for the whole family)

(I'm going to get 4. SuperStar Student, for all, andn 5. Meaning from Date: Statistics Made Clear, for my ps senior....hopefully it will help him in his AP class, Cartoon Physics and Manga Physics, are not cutting it so far and I'm willing to try anything!)

Can anyone save me money if any of these are stinkers....despite the reveiws, it needs to be pretty engaging for young teen (my homeschooled boy) to watch....and family, well, whole 'nother challenge. We all need improvement and sitting around watching a Great Course is not going to be anybody's first choice, I embarrassed to admit. But I'll make it fun!

Thanks for any comments if you know of any of these courses.

LBS

Edited by LBS

I'm having the same malfunction, after adding Algebra from many different paths. I don't need it but just tried. Sorry.

Can anyone comment on my final list?

1. Joy of Science by Hazan...Science Matters author....has anyone watched this? Only the Cd is on sale $74.95

2. Big History: The Big Bang, Life on EArth, and the Rise of Humanity....good reviews. $64.95

3. How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (want this for the whole family) $89.95

(I'm going to get 4. SuperStar Student, for all, andn 5. Meaning from Date: Statistics Made Clear, for my ps senior....hopefully it will help him in his AP class, Cartoon Physics and Manga Physics, are not cutting it so far and I'm willing to try anything!)

Can anyone save me money if any of these are stinkers....despite the reveiws, it needs to be pretty engaging for young teen (my homeschooled boy) to watch....and family, well, whole 'nother challenge. We all need improvement and sitting around watching a Great Course is not going to be anybody's first choice, I embarrassed to admit. But I'll make it fun!

Thanks for any comments if you know of any of these courses.

LBS

I filled in the prices on my code, if it helps PM so I can forward the email.

I filled in the prices on my code, if it helps PM so I can forward the email.

Thanks, I have the code.....I get all the best prices, too, except on that one course. I didn't need that course either, but was trying to get the better price, to see if I could, to give info to the other poster.....you must have the magic code. I will pm you. Thanks.

If anyone has any of these courses that are not mentioned elsewhere, I'd love to know if they are good ones....particularly Joy of Science, and How to Listen to and Understand Great Music....as applied to a homeschool/family use, not just for my use. Also, the best history.....I read about Brief History being possibly too brief, and the high school histories may be too goofy....I did search, but never found info on the first two I just mentioned.

Thanks, thanks,

LBS

so may I ask ...those who purchased Hist of US 2nd Ed...how much did it cost w/ code? I am concerned I may not have received the full discount :001_huh:

I just tried to order it with the discount and it came up as $99.00. Is that what everyone else got??

I also tried to order Western Civilization II and it came up as $79.00. Is that the right price???

Thanks.

I emailed anyone who asked about how I got the prices. The teaching company told me the way for me to share, (legally) was to forward the email, which I will gladly do. Many of the prices are the same as they are with the code already mentioned, others are not. The sale mentioned was specific to CD's but while looking I realized it influences prices on some other programs DVD's as well. ;) It runs until midnight on Sunday.

Glad it worked Jeri!

Pm'd you!

Thanks, I have the code.....I get all the best prices, too, except on that one course. I didn't need that course either, but was trying to get the better price, to see if I could, to give info to the other poster.....you must have the magic code. I will pm you. Thanks.

If anyone has any of these courses that are not mentioned elsewhere, I'd love to know if they are good ones....particularly Joy of Science, and How to Listen to and Understand Great Music....as applied to a homeschool/family use, not just for my use. Also, the best history.....I read about Brief History being possibly too brief, and the high school histories may be too goofy....I did search, but never found info on the first two I just mentioned.

Thanks, thanks,

LBS

My two oldest used How to Listen to and Understand Great Music for a 4-year survey course on music, with the WTM suggestions, too. They both liked it, but did not love it. They also used and liked applicable parts of Great Authors of the Western Tradition to supplement their WTM Great Books study. We used the CD courses.

We also have:

High School World History DVD - only watched the first lecture, much more boring than we thought it would be.

What are the Chances: Probability Made Clear DVD - didn't quite satisfy the need dd had for extra help in this subject with Alg. II, Precalc, and the PSAT

GardenMom

....for your reply to my questions. I ended up getting the Superstar Student, as much for my college sophomore and high school senior as my middleschooler. I seem to read a lot of reviews on the Teaching Company website from adults who love these, and not a huge number of reviews about how successful they are to teach younger than college with....I'm dreaming if I think I can get all three kids to listen to a whole course for their own enrichment, so I did just add "Meaning of Data: Statistics" for my public school senior to supplement and help him do the AP exam, and I found "Joy of Science" online for $20 cheaper than the best price on TTC website, and it included the books. I'm really excited about that course the most, for my son. I'm going to do Hazan's book and that, with other stuff, into first year high school with him, and just hope Hazan is engaging. It'll be a new approach for us.

They shipped FedEx so package got here in about 36 hours!

LBS

I ordered quite a few courses from them that were supposed to be here last Saturday. Fed Ex said that they are lost. I am so upset. I do hope that they find them. I am not sure what to do in this case. Should I call TTC? It was a lot of money and I am worried.

Erin

I ordered quite a few courses from them that were supposed to be here last Saturday. Fed Ex said that they are lost. I am so upset. I do hope that they find them. I am not sure what to do in this case. Should I call TTC? It was a lot of money and I am worried.

Erin

yes, I would call them. you will definitely get your courses even if the initial shipment is lost, but if you call ttc they may go ahead and resend the order so you don't have to wait (esp. if it's presents!).

Just ordered 4 more, thanks for introducing me to these wonderful resources. Dh just rolled his eyes when I first told him my pseudo-going-back-to-school plans, but was pretty impressed when the shipment came in and I rattled off all the courses and universities the professors lectured at. Then he finally admitted I got a bargain for all that education;)