Menu

Looking for a desk for dd. She wants a "real school desk". What do you all use? She

urban_mom

can sit at the table, but she has to sit on her knees and then she's not writing correctly. I want a vintage-style wood desk though...not something that looks like a typical school classroom, (just for decor purposes). Anyone know where you get this type of thing? Also, do you use a desk or table or what?

I would try ebay or craigslist.com. I wanted something more antique, but I came across 2 matching "regular" school desks at a garage sale for $3, and I couldn't pass that up. Our guest room is our school room and it looks very traditional (with a few classical ed. tweaks!) -- 2 very large black chalkboards (I couldn't get used to the glare on the whiteboard), cursive alphabet strip across the top of the main wall, school desks facing the chalkboard, computer station, etc. I purchased 2 $20 small office chairs from Target and left the wheels off so they would be the perfect height to go with the desks.

can sit at the table, but she has to sit on her knees and then she's not writing correctly. I want a vintage-style wood desk though...not something that looks like a typical school classroom, (just for decor purposes). Anyone know where you get this type of thing? Also, do you use a desk or table or what?

I just wanted to throw in that I got mine from my church's old private school that was shut down. They were all just sitting there, collecting dust, so I asked for 4 of them and they let me take them. They are the ones that have the rectangular top with the slot underneath to hold books and pencils. I also got the little wooden chairs that went with it. Maybe you could ask local private schools if they have any old desks they would be willing to donate or charge a small fee for? I didn't try to public schools, but you could maybe try there too.HTH!

We were having the exact same problem around here. I decided I wanted one of those round tables that they use in preschool/early elementary, I was looking for something big enough for both boys to sit at (and far enough apart so that they could not reach each other), and large enough that projects could easily be done on it as well if necessary. After pricing them though, I decided maybe I didn't want that after all! My husband looked on craigslist for all of 3-minutes before he found exactly what I wanted, in great shape, complete with chairs, for $30. I didn't tell him how long I had been looking online.........:)

I bought a school table on ebay from a school furniture supply company. It was expensive ($250 or so) but it's adjustable, extremely sturdy and the top is easy to clean. It will be with us until highschool graduation. Mine is yellow but you can buy wood finishes too. If you want real wood you might try Ikea for a cheap pine and cut the legs to the right height. I went with an adjustable table because there are standard heights for tables and chairs throughout the elementary years, so every 2 years we can buy bigger chairs and raise the table. My kids are tall so I bought standard 1st grade chairs last year. We'll use them one more year and then I'll buy 3rd or 4th grade chairs. The chairs are sturdy enough for large adults to use daily, or at least I haven't broken one yet.

I hope you find something comfortable for both you and dd. It's one of the factors of happy hsing that often is overlooked.

When my dd was in K5, I invested in a real school table, the kind with the high density laminate top and adjustable legs to go all the way down to K5 height and all the way up taller than a regular table. Then I got a real K5/1st grade chair ($18?). That was the BEST investment at that age, oh my. Those tables take anything: glue, paint, you name it. It's a big enough surface for you to work at together, you sitting to her left (so she looks from left to right across her paper). We can do puzzles at it, spread out tm's and big notebooks, planner books, have kleenex and the pencil sharpener and pencil cup. Oh, and I have a vertical metal divider thing from the office supply with my tm's standing in it. It just has lots of room to grow and is a great investment.

I think I paid $120 for my table, don't recall exactly. It was surplus on a big school supply order and they had rejected it for color or a defect or something that I have never noticed or cared about. With those adjustable legs, we raise it up a bit each year. By 2nd my dd was ready for a bigger chair, so I got her a student-sized rolling chair on clearance in the fall when they have college/back-to-school stuff. It was maybe $20 and that is great too. About all that fits on a student desk is a fish aquarium. Once your kid is using lit guides, notebooks, etc., you're really going to want a bigger space, something you can get messy and wipe up. Now the office supply also sells adjustable leg laminate tables that are nice and reasonably affordable, so check there too. The school ones are a bit nicer, but anything is good. I have a large space, so I also have a couple of the plastic folding tables. I like them for puzzles and things, but the tops have a texture that is no good for writing on and doesn't release paint and things as easily. I'd go for the laminate top, personally. And if you can't find it affordably in adjustable leg, then get regular legs and an adjustable height rolling chair. Like I said, mine is a student size and not so huge as a regular office rolling chair but it still adjusts up and down. Kids like that. ;)

Hope you find something you really like. Think long-term. You might even be able to solve the problem by getting her a cool rolling chair with adjustable height so she can fit at your current table more comfortably. Then you could put down a map, put a clear vinyl table cloth over it (every woman's decorating dream, eh?), and call it her school table! :)

When my dd was in K5, I invested in a real school table, the kind with the high density laminate top and adjustable legs to go all the way down to K5 height and all the way up taller than a regular table. Then I got a real K5/1st grade chair ($18?). That was the BEST investment at that age, oh my. Those tables take anything: glue, paint, you name it. It's a big enough surface for you to work at together, you sitting to her left (so she looks from left to right across her paper). We can do puzzles at it, spread out tm's and big notebooks, planner books, have kleenex and the pencil sharpener and pencil cup. Oh, and I have a vertical metal divider thing from the office supply with my tm's standing in it. It just has lots of room to grow and is a great investment.

I, too sprung for one of these, and I rarely buy anything new. I also have an old chair-connected-to-desk, slanted, lift-top desk perfect for the under 4 foot crowd I got for 3 bucks at a usedstore. Kiddo feels this is "his spot". This is great for writing, whereas the flat surface is better for cardgames, math manipulatives, art, etc. HTH

I really wish you lived closer. I have three that match perfectly and are in great shape. We are about to phase out the desks and get a big table, now that the youngest is 8. He is a tall 8 at that.

Desks are great for writing, not so great for craft projects and science work. Not so great for subjects that require more than one book spread out at a time, either.

If I had the space I would have the desks AND a table. I don't, so the desks have to go.

Anyone in West Tennessee want some desks?

They were the kind that had the table attached to the desk and under the set storage. I purchased them last year from another homeschooler. My kids used them for about a month and they got to the point they rather sit at the kitchen table.

We used to use a small "kid's table" with a bench, but this year we switched to an old kitchen table. We've never looked back! We actually put away dd's dramatic play set and changed that half of the side of the basement into an art area, using our old homeschool table for art. I was concerned about dd not fitting on table, just like you, so we put a pad on the seat and set a small step stool under it for her feet. She grew a couple of inches this year, so that helped. I figure it will be absolutely perfect in another 6 months or so.

There are some schoolroom pics (and our art side of the room, with the white table) on my blog, under the January posts if you are at all interested.

I found an old desk at a flea market and what my son loves about it versus some of the desks is the neat drawers and space for him to put his clutter(erasers,desk calendar,lamp, and whatever!) I love that it goes with the look of my house even though it is in the schoolroom. My other son has a table that my father-in-law got for $5 and when we had it refinished, the man told us it was worth about $200. It's great too but it doesn't have the drawer space. Good luck!

We have 2 old metal desks that we got from a sale at the local University. I also got a HUGE whiteboard, which I thought I couldn't live without, but now rarely use. Fortunately, the total was only $25. The 3 yr old just got moved up to her desk, and she sits on her knees on folding metal chair with a padded seat. The 6 yr old sits on her bottom WHEN she sits. SHe usually stands, and it's not because of height. The desks each have 2-3 drawers and fake wood tops.

My dh is building shelves on the dining room walls. I had him put in a desktop that folds flat against the shelves when not in use (also covering the kids workspace which isn't always neat) and also keeps the toddler out of their pencils and books. There will be one for each when we're done.

I really wish you lived closer. I have three that match perfectly and are in great shape. We are about to phase out the desks and get a big table, now that the youngest is 8. He is a tall 8 at that.

Desks are great for writing, not so great for craft projects and science work. Not so great for subjects that require more than one book spread out at a time, either.

If I had the space I would have the desks AND a table. I don't, so the desks have to go.

Anyone in West Tennessee want some desks?

Or PM me, or whatever works best for you. :) I might be able to buy these off ya!

TIA,

Dy

Back when we were in the states, I contacted our local school board. They have a warehouse full of desks, tables, chairs, etc. which only cost a few dollars. Their warehouse is open year-round! (and we were not even in a large school district.)

The kids are currently using computer/student desks. They have a cabinet on the side to hold their workbooks, binders, notes etc. (normally for the CPU), a center drawer, a hutch above for books and papers (with a light for the desk), and one of the best parts-a cork board on the back between the desk surface and the bottom of the hutch. I think the manufacturer is Drexel. They love having their own space (for the first years we had a small kitchen table they used)! We've posted the schedule, notes on math classes, favorite drawings etc. on the cork board. I think I really like this style desk--I just wish I had a desk for myself. Now I use part of the above mentioned kitchen table when we aren't using it for group projects.

***Sorry, went back to check-the desks are by Thomasville.