Menu

Outdoor play equipment (swing set)...

I looked around online and read reviews of swing sets before I bought ours. The Manchester II swing set had very good reviews. I got it at Toys R Us when they had it on sale $50 off (sale price was $199).

manchester6legswingset.jpg

I found this pic online and it says this one is a Manchester 6 leg swing set. I know mine was called the Manchester II, but everything here is the same as mine, except I put some things in a different order (it partly depends on which way you put the top bars). One of the features I liked about this one vs. others was that the bolts holding it together have rounded tops instead of the traditional squared edges--rounded edges won't hurt if you brush up against them. The legs of the swing swing set have foam covers as well. They are worn a little bit, but the weed wacker and it's operator (me) had something to do with that.

There are a couple of reviews of the Manchester II at Amazon. The price is a lot higher there. I don't know if Toys R Us has it right now or if they'll have it again in the spring. I know I read reviews somewhere else, but I don't know where.

My complaint about it is that it's showing signs of rust in some places, and this is our second summer with it.

I love the structural strength, which I can see even from comparing photos of it to other, cheaper swing sets. Although with the $50 off, I got it for the same price as the largest swing set Walmart was offering at the time, but this had a couple of extras (like the teeter totter).

We've been pretty happy with our $99 metal swingset and it has lasted many years. It worked best when we set the legs in concrete, so it stood up to some high swinging without threatening to tip over. However, if you'd like something that would last until they're older (our nine year old can't do much on the metal set anymore), you could look at wooden fort type swingsets. I think Home Depot sells them as kits to put together yourself. Our church bought one from a company that was local to us (then Wisconsin), and were very happy with it. Rainbow Systems also sells them, but they were quite expensive.

Erica in OR

I have wanted this one ever since it came out last year (it's pricey)... Our yard is pretty small right now, so we haven't purchased it, and I don't know that I would even if the yard was big enough because of the price. But it is SOOO cool! Costco discounted it a couple of months ago $200 or $300 less than the price it is now.

Kettlers (the famous trike company) also have really good ratings, are all metal and made in Germany. They aren't fancy, don't have forts or anything like the cool wooden ones, but I think they're neat, especially this one, which has monkey bars, a rope swing and other more big kid stuff.

Edited by BikeBookBread

Do you want a metal set or one of the big wooden sets?

We have a large Playnation set. It is wonderful and my boys play on it everyday. One of the preschool classes came over several years ago and all of the children were able to play on it together!

I am open to either! Would love to know what others prefer and why!

We have a Rainbow system. It is HUGE--9ft swing chains...

We went with Rainbow because of the warranty--and the durability. Our daughters were 3, 12 and 14 when we were looking at sets. Metal ones were out because the 2 older girls were too heavy--we wanted a system that the WHOLE family could enjoy for years (DH and I like to sit on the swings too!).

My teens actually use the set MORE than our 7yo!-- and their teen friends do too--we actually have a group of 10 16-17yo kids at our house right now--and they just came in from the playground!

The set we purchased was a 'floor model' and the price was reduced by almost 50%. It was still over $2000--but they installed/assembled it too.

After almost 5 years the set still looks new... the wood is just starting to look aged--but we could stain it again if we wanted...

We have NO regrets and feel like it was money well spent.

My friend chose a metal set (about $300) and her children outgrew it in only a few years--and it was also starting to wear out/bend.... her 9yo was actually TOO BIG to play on it...

We bought a Rainbow set second-hand when the boys were younger. I was able to re-sell it on Craigslist for the same price we paid for it. This brand certainly holds its value, it is extremely durable, weathers well, and will give you years of fun. I hated to see it go, but it was not being used and mowing and weed-eating around it was becoming a pain. When I have grandchildren, I'll be looking for another :-)

Definitely check the Craigslist in your area. You can save a LOT of money.

We bought the Rainbow brand one from Costco last spring and it is Wonderful. I think it was $1400 or something like that. The Costco Rainbow version is a little different than the regular Rainbow (different wood/10yr warranty instead of Rainbows lifetime) but I still expect it to last. It is very, very solid. Has 2 forts, picnic table, 2 swings, bar/handle swing, wooopdy-do slide (what we call it :)), rock-wall/climbing rope, and ladder. Even when my hubby and I were up on the forts together during assembly, it didn't waver.

We built a big wooden set from a kit at Menards. We bought the "commercial" grade one. Each swing was rated to something like 400 pounds, the slide for 600 pounds, etc.---over kill but if you look closely many swing sets are rated for only 80-100 pounds and only a few kids at a time.

We have been very pleased. The 2 story tower has been the biggest hit and the kids still play up there at 12 and 14.

We've had a small Rainbow Castle for 6 years and it's in great shape. My kids have used it almost every day and, even though it was expensive, I feel we got our money's worth.

I would keep an eye on Craig's List to see if you can pick up a used Rainbow or buy a kit from Home Depot if you're handy enough to put it together.

We've had a Rainbow Castle for about 5 years. We made the investment not only for our kids, but because I had a home daycare at the time. We now are foster parents, and the kids play on it every day.

Besides the warranty, excellent customer service and that it holds its value, also consider that as your kids grow, you can add on components that are currently t0o big, hard or dangerous for your ages.

We've had it for 6 years now and my kids still get out on it and swing every chance they get. I think the swinging is very soothing for my Asperger DS, so I think it will be used for many more years to come. Love it.

My daughter with Asperger's will swing and swing and swing with a serene smile on her face. She will be 13 in December. We have an old very heavy steel just swings set that is very tall. I got it for free from Craigslist. We just replaced the swings because the old ones wore out. Swinging is very therapeutic, apparently, so I bought big, wide, heavy duty swings.

One thing to consider is whether you're going to be in your house for an extended period of time. Wooden swingsets ususally stay with the property when one sells, metal ones (as long as they're not embedded in concrete) don't necessarily have to stay.

Since we're in our forever home, my dh bought plans and made his own. It was much less expensive than Rainbow (our 2nd choice) and he can always build on to it as the kids age. In fact, the sandbox under the raised playhouse has been emptied, and dh will put up walls on it in the spring, cut a hole in the roof (up to the existing raised fort) for a rope ladder, and it will be another hideout.

One thing to consider is whether you're going to be in your house for an extended period of time. Wooden swingsets ususally stay with the property when one sells, metal ones (as long as they're not embedded in concrete) don't necessarily have to stay.

Hehe Ours has moved with us twice. We had to borrow a big trailer, but there was no way we were leaving it behind.:tongue_smilie:

We used the wooden kit from home depot. My brother was visiting and helped my DH set the whole thing up in about 1 day. We did stain everything to make sure it lasts. We've had it maybe 3 years now and it looks brand new, but that is also probally because the sun does not touch it as it is under huge hemlock trees. We plan to add on a tree house and put in a covered bridge to it, but haven't gotten around to that yet! At first I was thinking the price was crazy, but it really has been a good investment and the kids haven't ever resisted playing on it, even when its raining and/or snowing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanestMomInMidwest viewpost.gif

Hehe Ours has moved with us twice. We had to borrow a big trailer, but there was no way we were leaving it behind.:tongue_smilie:

Ours has too! The movers actually packed it up and put it in the truck with everything else! Everything is pre-drilled, with large bolts, instead of screwing straight into the wood, so disassembling it and reassembling it didn't hurt at all. It was a Rainbow system.

It's more than 15 and the only thing that hasn't held up is the tarp over the fort - 2 ft of wet snow did that in. Maybe we should have taken the tarp off for the winter.

• 4 weeks later...

We did a wooden one from home depot. The cargo net wore out first, before the tarp. The swings were nowhere near as used as the fort, slide, sandbox, cargo net & climber etc which are in use still 11 years later however the swings were fun during the elementary school years. The preteens are always adding on fort pieces as they learn to use tools; the teens are still up in the fort and it's used constantly for dart gun wars, star gazing, climbing, and general clubhouse.

LOL We left our a wonderful one behind in our last home because the people who bought the house begged us for it.

Then we found a nicer one on Craig's List for $200. My dh, brother, and sons went to the house, took it partially apart, loaded it into a truck and put it together at our new place. But it's was a orginally a 2500 set, so it was worth it.

So, if you have the stamina, check CL.

• 6 months later...
Guest jwharwell

I am not sure if you are still looking, but I just saw this post. I just got the new swing set for my kids installed and we love it so I thought I would pass along the name of the company that we bought it from. It is backyardcity.com. We were really happy with the service that we received and the price that we paid. Hope that this helps. Their website is here: swing sets