Menu

Putting down 14dd's horse tomorrow---tears all around

My 14dd has a 31 year old QH gelding. BJ has been struggling off and on this past summer. She was still able to ride most of the time but much more limited amounts of time. This past weekend he really struggled and we went to the vet on Monday and should have just put him down then but I took him home. He is getting a tad better but reality is that he is 31 years old, had a rough life (nearly starved to death twice before we got him), has ulcers, and winter is coming--predicting a cold and snowy one. I just can't bear to see him suffer this winter or slip and fall, etc.

Not sure if I will bring him in tomorrow or depend on a friend or friend's husband to do the drive---my own dh works too far away to be able to do it.

14dd has many special needs so we will need another very special horse for her. I have leads on a few but we will be super careful to get that special babysitter horse for her.

Edited by Ottakee

:grouphug: I remember putting down my first horse when I was 10. He was an ancient shetland pony named Jack that my mom had when she was a kid, and was transferred to me. He was the first animal I remember having to part with. It was a horrible, rotton, no good day/week/month.... I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

I know this is hardly a consolation but tell your daughter that the reason he lived to this ripe old age of 31 - and there aren't many equines who can boast that - is probably that he loved her so much and enjoyed carrying her on her rides that despite his previous struggles in life he hung on this long. Now he can go no longer and they are waiting for him in horse heaven with the biggest, fattest carrots he's ever seen.

It's probably true - not just the part about horse heaven. I knew of a horse with a similar history. When he came to the place where I worked he put in many good years despite the consequences of the mistreatment he experienced earlier in his life. Everyone cried when he got his last injection. Still after all this time, I have to swallow hard now.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry- that is really hard. Just last Friday, we had to put down my 32 year old Arabian. I had her for 18 years. I was feeling really bad about it, but the vet told me that he agreed that it was time. She had a hard time moving around and she would have really struggled this winter.

It is such a tough decision, but sometimes it is really best. I am sorry that you all have to go through this.

P.S.- I cut a lock of her mane and tied it on each end with a hair tie. Maybe that is weird, but I am glad I have it.

I am going to cut part of his mane for each of the girls. Before 12dd got her pony this spring they shared him for a year.

Yes, 31 is quite old for a larger horse. Ponies tend to live longer but 31 for a horse is about like 93 for people.

letting go of a pet is so hard for me...even when it is for the best. I pray that you are able to find another horse that is perfect for your daughter. I know it can happen because with every dog I have had to put down, God has blessed me and our family with such a perfect one to create more memories with.

I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you and your family but I fully believe that this gentle old man would be thanking you. Having him live through another Michigan winter would be so hard on him. You and your family have given him a wonderful, full, fun, safe, loving home all of these years. You are doing him a wonderful service even though it doesn't seem like it right now. Your daughter is probably much stronger than you think she is and she might be the one helping you through this difficult situation. I wish you the best and I will be praying for all of you.