Menu

Read alouds? Anyone care to share their favorites?

I'm finally ready to start up the daily read aloud time. The moving, settling, deployment kicked it out the window for a few months. Bad mommy.

I'm in a rut with our home library, and I don't have a block of time to wander through the new local library looking for titles. I am also compiling lists from my great books websites, but I love word of mouth. I learned about the Mysterious Benedict Society, which my kids loved, from here. :001_smile:

I would love your one or two favorites for:

1. family read alouds for listeners aged 13, 11, 8, and 6.

2. Christmas books (I'm planning on doing the entire month of December "differently" this year). These can be for all ages.

Thanks!

Jo

We loved:

E. Nesbit books (Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Story of the Amulet, The Story of the Treasure Seekers, etc.)

The Hobbit

Peter Pan in Scarlet (actually, we listened to the audiobook, but it would make a fabulous read-aloud; great to listen to)

Detectives in Togas and the sequel

I'll have to think of some more.

Wendi

Some of our favourites:

Phantom Tollbooth

Magician's Elephant--Kate DiCamillo

The Thief Lord--Cornelia Funke

The BFG--Roald Dahl

The Secret World of Og--Pierre Berton

I just bought some books yesterday. I have heard good things about these books.

The Prydain Chronicles--Lloyd Alexander

The Mistmantle Chronicles

Redwall series--Brian Jaques

Meet the Austins--Madelaine L'engle

Keeper of the Grail (Ds loved this one and we're waiting for the next one.)

Spradlin, Michael P.

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

Latham, Jean Lee.

The Chronicles of Narnia

Lewis, C. S.

The Bronze Bow

Speare, Elizabeth George.

A Christmas carol 1st ed.

Dickens, Charles

A few of our favorites:

Chronicles of Narnia

Tale of Desperaux (the audiobook version of this is fantastic - you could save your voice)

Bronze Bow

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Freddy the Detective and others in the series

I'm finally ready to start up the daily read aloud time. The moving, settling, deployment kicked it out the window for a few months. Bad mommy.

Jo

I completely agree witht he other two posters, these make ***fabulous*** read alouds, BUT

don't get just the first book. You must have the second book on hand to read when you close the back cover of the first. The first ends in a very hard place, but the second goes to show the triumph of the spirit and the most wonderful way in which Ralph's family pulled together, not just to survive, but to triumph! You will be glad you read them both!

We've read the whole series, and my kids come back every now and then to pick one or another up for a quick, fun read.

I'm in a rut with our home library, and I don't have a block of time to wander through the new local library looking for titles. I am also compiling lists from my great books websites, but I love word of mouth. I learned about the Mysterious Benedict Society, which my kids loved, from here. :001_smile:

I would love your one or two favorites for:

1. family read alouds for listeners aged 13, 11, 8, and 6.

2. Christmas books (I'm planning on doing the entire month of December "differently" this year). These can be for all ages.

Thanks!

Jo

Little House on the Prairie Series

The Original books that Disney made films for (NOT Disney versions!!) such as Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Alice In Wonderland, Bambi etc.

Pilgrims Progress (NOT a kids versionb but the real one)

Beowulf (In the dark with a flashlight in the middle of winter with the woodstove going and lots of blankets!)

Idylls of the King

The Bible

Swiss Family Robinson

Hinds Feet on High Places

Narnia series

Is there anything in the youth book that I may have to pre-read? I read the original version when it came out and loved it.

Thanks.

It should be just fine. There were some things that I didn't think were explained very well, but there was nothing inappropriate.

We are reading Pinnochio right now and I am finding it very funny and a great read! My kids (9, 9, 7) are loving it as well.

We only read the first three Little Britches (and with this reminder, need to read more!) and they were terrific! But get some kleenex for yourself! i cried at teh end of all of them (while my children looked on with consternation!).

Where the Red Fern Grows is a wonderful, overlooked classic! Very fun to read and another tearjerker!

Have fun! Looking forward to your Christmas list!

Jeri

We're read (aloud and to ourselves) more good books than you could shake a stick at, but there a few books that are special to us as read alouds:

BFG

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The Magic Pudding (NYRB Children's Collection Edition)

Pooh and Pooh poems

Here be Monsters (Alan Snow)

Green Knowe series

anything by Padraic Colum

Little Grey Men (B.B)

If you are a Christian, and from what I remember of your previous posts you are, I would highly recommend Kingdom Tales. It is a MFW book. My kids and I LOVE this book. We get so much out of the stories. It sparks many interesting conversations. Highly recommended.

Our VERY favorite: Trumpet of the Swan. Awesome book.

We've already read this twice to DS... he absolutely adores it! Others are

The Littles series

The Secret Garden

Swiss Family Robinson

Heidi

The Enormous Egg

I love reading the original 101 Dalmatians around Christmas.

101 Dalmations was originally a series in a magazine, I believe, although I could be wrong. It's the only book my mother ever read to me. We *love* that book...but definitely NOT the Disney movie.:glare:

Understood Betsy

The Chestry Oak

The Little White Horse

After those:

The Borrowers (series)

Mary Poppins (series, not Disney)

The Resuers (series, not Disney)

Pollyanna

Little Women (which could be a Christmas book)

The Swiss Family Robinson

The Secret Garden

The Little Princess

Heidi

For Christmas: A Tree for Peter is one of our favorite read alouds. Don't let the cover fool you; it's for all ages. Here are some more that we love.

Thank you so much for the Christmas selections. They were lovely titles, and I've purchased several at your suggestion. I'm very excited about our Christmas read alouds this year!

Thanks again.

Jo