Menu

S/O of 'wash your hands'; do YOU wash or use hand sanitizer?

I work for a hospital and we have to take competency tests every year on proper hand washing. The rules there are that after bathroom, sneezing, hands visibly dirty, any bodily fluids, hands must be washed with soap and warm water. Hand sanitizer may be used if no fluids, visibly dirty- just removing gloves, etc. However, you can only use that 10 times before you must wash your hands with soap and water. They take the handwashing thing very seriously. We wash hands and I only use the sanitizer in extreme circumstances where basically we have no access to soap and water. I also prefer non-antibacterial soap but would use it before I would plain sanitizer.

I work for a hospital and we have to take competency tests every year on proper hand washing. The rules there are that after bathroom, sneezing, hands visibly dirty, any bodily fluids, hands must be washed with soap and warm water. Hand sanitizer may be used if no fluids, visibly dirty- just removing gloves, etc. However, you can only use that 10 times before you must wash your hands with soap and water. They take the handwashing thing very seriously. We wash hands and I only use the sanitizer in extreme circumstances where basically we have no access to soap and water. I also prefer non-antibacterial soap but would use it before I would plain sanitizer.

Thanks for sharing this. I did not know that hospitals didn't use the sanitizer; makes me feel a little better about things, actually. But is the soap antibacterial? (It smells like it is)

I used to work as a scientist in a lab. We worked with mammalian cell cultures where we wanted to keep them free of bacteria. One of the steps used in cleaning the area prior to work was to spray down the area with alcohol and *then let it air dry*. That killed the bacteria though the microbiologists I worked with claimed that it didn't kill spores, which are sort of a dormant form of bacteria, I believe.

We also had occasion to work with materials containing HIV. When we did this, *afterwards* we cleaned the area with a bleach solution, *not* alcohol, because, as the microbiologists explained, alcohol won't touch viruses. This is also apparently common knowledge in hospitals, and they have procedures in place that reflect this, as I was recently talking to a former ER nurse about this very issue.

So, if the hand sanitizer is alcohol based, it might help kill bacteria, if you put enough on and then let your hands air dry. But it won't do much for viruses, except maybe move them around.

I'll look to see if I can find a link.

I would love to see a link, I am quite curious now. Thank you for sharing this background info. :001_smile:

OK--here's what I've found out.

Alcohol will deactivate viruses that have a viral envelope, but it doesn't do much for viruses that don't. Influenza has a viral envelope and is therefore prone to deactivation with alcohol. However, this doesn't mean that alcohol will work with all viruses.

In studies where bleach and alcohol were compared in their ability to deactivate HIV, bleach was better, so bleach, at least in the 1990s, became the standard for disinfecting HIV contaminated areas in industrial settings.

However, in order for alcohol based hand sanitizer to work, it needs to be used properly. Part of the process is allowing the hands to air dry.

Alcohol will deactivate viruses that have a viral envelope, but it doesn't do much for viruses that don't. Influenza has a viral envelope and is therefore prone to deactivation with alcohol. However, this doesn't mean that alcohol will work with all viruses.

In studies where bleach and alcohol were compared in their ability to deactivate HIV, bleach was better, so bleach, at least in the 1990s, became the standard for disinfecting HIV contaminated areas in industrial settings.

However, in order for alcohol based hand sanitizer to work, it needs to be used properly. Part of the process is allowing the hands to air dry.

Thanks for this! So it sounds like an alcohol-based sanitizer isn't a good replacement for handwashing, but can be used as a supplement during cold and flu season as it kills those types of viruses as long as you air dry (meaning you stop rubbing it in before it is dry?).

Thanks for this! So it sounds like an alcohol-based sanitizer isn't a good replacement for handwashing, but can be used as a supplement during cold and flu season as it kills those types of viruses as long as you air dry (meaning you stop rubbing it in before it is dry?).

I think the instructions say to rub until the hands are dry and I'm guessing this is to prevent people from drying their hands with a towel.

When we put alcohol on our (gloved) hands in the lab we would rub them to get them thoroughly wet and then we just sat there without touching anything while the alcohol evaporated.

I personally believe that over prescription of antibiotics and the increasing, progressive use of antibacterials including sanitizers is creating super-bugs and more bugs.

:iagree: We always wash hands in the restroom. If there is no soap we'll use sanitizer and let an attendant/customer service person know. I prefer not to use hand sanitizer, but keep a small bottle in my purse in cases like the above.

I'm not weird; I'm opinionated. ;) I personally believe that over prescription of antibiotics and the increasing, progressive use of antibacterials including sanitizers is creating super-bugs and more bugs.

:iagree:

In addition, I am allergic to most additives in soap and they make any part of my body I use them on swell. Not pretty.

Basically we believe that anti-bacterial soaps and sanitizers contribute to people not adapting to germs as well. We prefer germy over non-germy, honestly. We do not believe in killing all germs (and yes, my dh is a Chemist) and anti-bacterial soap can kill good bacteria as well as bad. I prefer to keep my good bacteria around. :DWhile water will not kill everything, washing your hands thoroughly with water does help rid the hands of contaminants. For that matter, we use very little soap in our daily lives at home too. My kids do use soap to wash their hands at home, but I do not use even non-bacterial soap at any time, to wash anything. I'm healthy, my kids are healthy...my doctor doesn't have a problem with it, and prefers me to be healthy rather than covered in rash and swelling. Even without those allergic side effects though, we still choose to wash thoroughly with water rather than use soap in most situations.

I'm right there with you. My DS7 and I are sensitive to detergents. It gives him eczema and makes me itch like nothing else. I don't use soap in the shower, prefer baking soda and vinegar for my hair, and use liquid "free" laundry detergent in reduced amounts and double rinse our clothes just to get rid of the itchiness.

I also prefer a non-sanitized home. I use a homemade cleaner with tea tree as an all-purpose spray cleaner in the kitchen. I clean my sink with dish soap and a sponge most of the time but will occasionally bleach it. I have a white porcelain sink so it needs to be bleached to whiten it occasionally. My bathroom is cleaned the same way...dish soap in the tub, bleach IN the toilet, and homemade spray everywhere else.

The one thing I do is use the sanitizing wipes provided at the grocery stores to wipe down the handle on the grocery cart.

I don't know what, exactly, is the reason but we seem to be healthier than most of our friends. We've had one minor cold since early last spring and that's it.

I just spit on my hand and call it a day. JK :lol:

I always wash my hands with soap and water and sing the tune of happy birthday because Oprah had a show one time that said that is the length of time it takes to really clean your hands. I don't own hand sanitizer. I was talking to dh and he said he uses hand sanitizer at work instead of washing because he doesn't like the fragrance of the soap that they have and he says that if he uses it he is smelling the fragrance all day long.

I flush the toilet with my foot, I use a paper towel to turn off the faucet and to get a another paper towel to dry my hands and I use a paper towel to open the door. If the garbage is not close enough to through the paper towel in the garbage after opening the door or if there is only those blow dryers then I use my pinky/ring finger to turn off the water and open the door. I figure I use those the least of my fingers.

If I absolutely must use a public restroom, I touch nothing; I mean NOTHING. I use my shirt tail or long sleeves to open and close the doors. My foot to flush and WAY too much (not to clog) tissue. I touch NOTHING. If I must touch, I wash long and slow. I'm not terribly worried about germs. I'm nearly never sick. I've never had the flu and can count the number of colds I've had as an adult (I'm 37) on one hand; if I could remember them all. My children and family are also never sick.

If I absolutely must use a public restroom, I touch nothing; I mean NOTHING. I use my shirt tail or long sleeves to open and close the doors. My foot to flush and WAY too much (not to clog) tissue. I touch NOTHING. If I must touch, I wash long and slow. I'm not terribly worried about germs. I'm nearly never sick. I've never had the flu and can count the number of colds I've had as an adult (I'm 37) on one hand; if I could remember them all. My children and family are also never sick.

So Jessica, are you and your family never ill because you avoid public restrooms (and if you do use them you never touch anything), or is there another secret that you should be sharing with us? :lol:

I did want to point out that when I waitressed, washing our hands with soap up to our elbows was required (and we had to sing Happy Birthday loud enough to be heard!). I always complied with and did as was required.

I wanted to come back and say this too...I do not touch anything in a public restroom. There's a way to avoid touching everything...I carry napkins with me and use those.

I used to be involved organizing the American Cancer Relay for life (stick with me here there is a relevant point). We used a local high school track with had bathrooms. The bathrooms were okay except the soap dispensers were usually empty. So we provided soap and would replace the empty bottles as needed. Every year, the women's bathroom would use about 6 or 7 bottles and the men's about 1 1/2. And while children would probably be going to the women's bathroom with moms. The adults were evenly divided between men/women. Think about that every time you shake a guys hand.

Anyway, I always use soap and water in public bathrooms. But have also been using hand sanitizers randomly through the day.

We wash with soap and water when available and definitely after public restroom use. We do use sanitizer when soap and water aren't available. But alcohol doesn't kill stuff like c. diff that can be running around in restrooms (and hospitals). I always use soap and water on my way out of a hospital too for that reason. Alcohol can't get all bacteria basically. But it's good for killing cold viruses!

I'm a flush with the foot and open the door with a paper towel person too. I don't know what it was but on a recent trip through Georgia every rest stop, gas station, etc. we visited had no paper towels. And my kids (and grandparents with us) pee constantly. We purchased paper towels and I brought them in to the restrooms from there on out just in case. It really is gross to me to have no paper towel to turn off the water, open the doors, etc. I mean...when you start the faucet your hands are, presumably, not clean. Or if yours are there is no certainty the first person's were. Especially if they flush with their hand when a good portion of people are using their feet to flush!

Edited by sbgrace

of washing my hands without actually touching anything after washing them. I turn water on and off with my elbow in most places. If I can't, I use a paper towel.

I would not wash my hands in a place where I could not turn the water off with my elbow and where there are no paper towel. I will not use a blower to dry my hands because I am pretty sure they blow germs everywhere. I would never touch the door knob - I always use a paper towel. If there are no paper towels, I use my shirt.

I also sanitize.

We wash our hands in the sink and use a papertowel or sleeve to open the door. We sanitize after leaving the bathroom too. In fact we sanitize after touching anything and sometimes even if we haven't touched anything but it just felt germy in a store or public place. Perhaps we are excessive but we rarely get sick. We also drink Airborne if we have been anywhere where someone seemed sick (especially the library).

I also wash the faucet (meaning the turny thingies whose names I cannot remember) when I'm done, lol, just in case I put nasties on there :lol:

Me, too. :lol:

I do both. I have never been all that big on hand sanitizer, but I am using it more lately. At home we use plain old (not antibacterial) soap and hot water. I have to admit that I love the newer public restrooms with everything automated and no door at the exit:001_smile:

:iagree:

I flush the toilet with my foot, I use a paper towel to turn off the faucet and to get a another paper towel to dry my hands and I use a paper towel to open the door. If the garbage is not close enough to through the paper towel in the garbage after opening the door or if there is only those blow dryers then I use my pinky/ring finger to turn off the water and open the door. I figure I use those the least of my fingers.

This sounds like me, LOL. I even flush with my foot when I'm at home. I'm afraid to touch that handle. :lol:

CDC's MMWR did a report on the issue of hand hygiene.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5116a1.htm

"

Alcohols have excellent in vitro germicidal activity against gram-positive and gram-negative vegetative bacteria, including multidrug-resistant pathogens (e.g., MRSA and VRE), Mycobacterium tuberculosis,and various fungi (120--122,124--129). Certain enveloped (lipophilic) viruses (e.g., herpes simplex virus, human immunodeficiency virus [HIV], influenza virus, respiratory syncytial virus, and vaccinia virus) are susceptible to alcohols when tested in vitro (120,130,131) (Table 1). Hepatitis B virus is an enveloped virus that is somewhat less susceptible but is killed by 60%--70% alcohol; hepatitis C virus also is likely killed by this percentage of alcohol (132). In a porcine tissue carrier model used to study antiseptic activity, 70% ethanol and 70% isopropanol were found to reduce titers of an enveloped bacteriophage more effectively than an antimicrobial soap containing 4% chlorhexidine gluconate (133). Despite its effectiveness against these organisms, alcohols have very poor activity against bacterial spores, protozoan oocysts, and certain nonenveloped (nonlipophilic) viruses. "

We wash hands after using the restroom, period. We use paper towels or elbows, or sleeves to open the door. I leave it at that, unless we're going to eat something while we're out. Then we wash hands and then do sanitizer right before eating.

What really grosses me out though, is using the pen on the pharmacy debit/credit machine thingy, or using salt/pepper shakers in a coffeeshop-type restaurant. Eeeww! :eek: