Menu

My father's world (MFW)and the Emerging Church

Anyone knows details about MFW and the Emerging church?

I heard a criticism about MFW that it has some tendency towards the emerging church philosophy .This is even more relevant in the High School curriculum (ex. The purpose driven life)

I am just considering MFW for the future , but this thought kind of turns me away.

Any info appreciated.

If you are not sure what this means , you can google it or read/watch here: (If you do not have time to look up all the links , I would recommend to watch the video --the link in the middle )

emergent church movement

http://www.gotquestions.org/emerging-church-emergent.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSQjtWTpaw&feature=related

Edited by blessedmom3

I have never read The purpose driven life , a book recommended in MFW High School , but the author seems to be an emerging movement believer :

" Rick Warren encourages the use of breath prayers. (pp. 89, 299

On The Emerging Church:

New Age sympathizer Leonard Sweet, who will be training church leaders and pastors at the 2008 Saddleback Small Groups Conference in April, is accepted by Rick Warren as a trustworthy source of Christian leadership. However, Sweet's view of the value of small groups lines up more with the New Age and Alice Bailey than it does with biblical Christianity. In his book, Quantum Spirituality, Sweet states:

The power of small groups is in their ability to develop the discipline to get people "in-phase" with the Christ consciousness and connected with one another.

"Rick Warren and others say we need to pay attention to the emerging church. Things are changing, they say and the "emerging church" has the answers for our generation. But what will the emerging church emerge into? Could it be a form of Christianity that embraces experience rather than God's Word?"—Roger Oakland, Understand the Times. Read Entire Article

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/warren.htm

I have not heard this. I did speak with the author's husband about that book as a choice. It didn't appear that he was pushing any one theology, but simply was making a book suggestion that THEY felt had some redeeming qualities....but books can be switched out. So if you have a problem with the book, switch it for another.

I have found that the author of MFW ( I have spoken to both the author and her husband) work very hard at making sure that MFW stays very Biblical and allows the parents to make commentary. I do not think MFW was/is trying to make a theological statement with that book and it is not found in the other curriculum.

That being said, "The Purpose Driven Life" is not my favorite book but I understand why it was chosen. They wanted to point students to a "higher purpose" and having seen the program I think you could easily switch it with another.

I guess my first question is- what do you define as the "emerging church philosophy"?

Not to start a total rabbit trail, but there is a W-I-D-E range of opinions and understandings of what that really means. I'm not going to venture into that territory!

Maybe you could email MFW and ask?

I personally hate the Purpose Driven Life. I think it is a pile of hooey. Our EX-church did that whole 40 days of blah, blah, and we were glad to leave. I wouldn't have put it in the Rob Bell emergent (narrative theology/open theism) camp but rather the seeker sensitive camp.

It seems though that the book could easily be replaced with Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris or Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. Two books that are Biblically sound and better written, imo.

I personally hate the Purpose Driven Life. I think it is a pile of hooey. Our EX-church did that whole 40 days of blah, blah, and we were glad to leave. I wouldn't have put it in the Rob Bell emergent (narrative theology/open theism) camp but rather the seeker sensitive camp.

It seems though that the book could easily be replaced with Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris or Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. Two books that are Biblically sound and better written, imo.

:iagree:

I also in no way equate "purpose driven life" with the emergent church. I know of tons of baptist churches that use it that are in no way emergent. I think Rick Warren is goofy... but I'd put him more in the "seeker sensitive" church category than emergent. Rob Bell... now, there's a name that rings "emergent bells" in my head.

It seems as though many on the MFW yahoo group substitute Don't Waste Your Life for The Purpose-Driven Life.

I love MFW because it is biblically based, yet gives me as a parent enough freedom to teach the biblical truths as I see them. FWIW, we are LCMS, a fairly conservative branch of the Lutheran church.

I'm not a big fan of the emergent church...not at all. We are, however, using MFW and have a high schooler. We haven't gotten to "The Purpose Driven Life" and I'm still trying to decide what I think about that choice. I actually do have a copy of "Don't Waste Your Life" in a shelf, so that would be a good switch if I choose to do that. I liked that book myself and think it would be a good choice for my dc.

At this point, we are reading straight through the OT and will wind up doing an in-depth study of Daniel. I just don't see the fluffy "me" stuff I would feel I'd see if it were leaning that direction. I'm certainly no expert on that line of thinking, but I am quite pleased with this high school level curriculum. I've never gotten that feeling from MFW. It has a very missions oriented goal to it, but not an emergent church feel. I need to find out more info on the emergent church than I have at this point. I just really can't see MFW leaning that way. Their curriculum has been too solid at this point, in my mind.

Is being seeker sensitive a bad thing? I'm honestly curious, I've never heard anyone be critical of being seeker sensitive but it sure doesn't sound like a compliment in this thread....

Not to everyone.:001_smile:

Right.:) I would actually be pleased to find a Christian curriculum that was more emergent progressive leaning. I almost always avoid the faith based curriculum because the ones I've seen are very conservative and we are not.

I also don't really put Rick Warren in the emergent church catagory. And having read the book it really isn't anything earth shaking in content.

I think that you ought to write to the author with your concern. If they are not supportive of the emerging church philosophy, it could be promoting a rumor to be asking about it here.

I wouldn't make rhe use of one book, widely read by Christians across denominations, the litmus test of a currriculum.

I decided to go google this thing. There are like 2, that I could find, blogs/forum situations where it is being discussed. The blog was messed up and I was unable to get to it. From what I'm seeing, all the hubbub is completely centered around "The Purpose Driven Life." Wow. If that's it, then there is a lot to do about nothing. That book is easily interchangeable. I really think it could be blown up into a fear-mongering situation. I see nothing from the authors but a heart for the Lord and for truth. The use of one book in the mix of a great curriculum would not be the thing that would send me running.

About seeker sensitive, I've been involved in two seeker sensitive start-up churches, and after my experience, I would consider that a thing I'd run from as fast as I could. Dh and I have taken that as our biggest lesson from helping with those start-ups.

Right.:) I would actually be pleased to find a Christian curriculum that was more emergent progressive leaning. I almost always avoid the faith based curriculum because the ones I've seen are very conservative and we are not.

And I'd also like to find science curriculum that acknowledges a creator but doesn't assume a 7 day creation.

But, anyway, PDL isn't at all an "emerging church" book, nor is Rick Warren a leader in the emerging church discussion, at least not the last time I checked.

Sure, the controversial book could be easily replaced but I still doubt a curriculum that uses this book only because I know the creator of MFW (Marie) reads all the books herself and feels strongly about what is in each book.

Also there is one or two more books they also use in HS that are from emerging authors. One of them is the Old Testament guide book by John Ortberg. If MFW chose these books , then I assume they have the same philosophy or tendencies .

By the way , I go to a conservative southern baptist church , but I prefer to call myself "just Christian" saved by the grace of God .

I am disappointed because I just thought I found the perfect curriculum for my kids to use next year...but I don't have peace knowing that it might have subtle emerging thoughts in in.

Is being seeker sensitive a bad thing? I'm honestly curious, I've never heard anyone be critical of being seeker sensitive but it sure doesn't sound like a compliment in this thread....

I think part of the concern with the "seeker sensitive" movement is that churches that tend towards this style also tend to be very light on teaching theology, teaching and worship are man-centered and emotionally-charged, and don't disciple new believers, as opposed to teaching theology, God-centered in their worship and teaching, and wanting to grow people beyond conversion. I know this isn't always the case, but it is the impression that is given.

One of them is the Old Testament guide book by John Ortberg. If MFW chose these books , then I assume they have the same philosophy or tendencies .

Actually, it's not John Ortberg. It's Judson Poling. I researched and he's from Willowcreek, which is not great. I'm, for the most part, doing it alongside dd, and we are finding the questions to be really good. I haven't found anything that I disagree with in that. The focus is more on getting an overview of the OT.

Sure, the controversial book could be easily replaced but I still doubt a curriculum that uses this book only because I know the creator of MFW (Marie) reads all the books herself and feels strongly about what is in each book.

Also there is one or two more books they also use in HS that are from emerging authors. One of them is the Old Testament guide book by John Ortberg. If MFW chose these books , then I assume they have the same philosophy or tendencies .

By the way , I go to a conservative southern baptist church , but I prefer to call myself "just Christian" saved by the grace of God .

I am disappointed because I just thought I found the perfect curriculum for my kids to use next year...but I don't have peace knowing that it might have subtle emerging thoughts in in.

You do know there are entire books of the Bible written by adulterers, murders, and tax-collectors? I would think they would be worse than men who love God and seek to bring others to him, but I may be mistaken;). I would hardly throw out a book based on the author, especially if I have not read the book. I would ESPECIALLY not through out the entire MFW curriculum do to speculation. If in doubt, CALL THEM! They are extremely wonderful and helpful and could put to rest your fears.:001_smile:

Wow, I've read a couple booksby John Ortberg - and heard him speak - I find him to be pretty inspiring!

I think part of the concern with the "seeker sensitive" movement is that churches that tend towards this style also tend to be very light on teaching theology, teaching and worship are man-centered and emotionally-charged, and don't disciple new believers, as opposed to teaching theology, God-centered in their worship and teaching, and wanting to grow people beyond conversion. I know this isn't always the case, but it is the impression that is given.

Thanks for this explanation - I had just never heard or thought of seeker-sensitive as anything but a good thing. :) It's good to know the perspective even if I don't understand it. I appreciate your response.

I'm deleting what I wrote. I was going off on a rabbit trail that really didn't have to do with MFW.

I've made it clear how we feel about mfw, and Crystal spoke her arguments so much better. :)

This type of concern is definitely worth it to the op and anyone else to go to MFW and get their opinion first before posting on other boards. :) Along with the others, I've experienced nothing but help and graciousness from their staff.

Edited by Texas T

I will say, though, that this is NOT AT ALL what I see in MFW.

That is in part why I erased my post. I have used MFW and enjoyed it. This is not the place or time to air my issues with the seeker-sensitive and emergent movements. Although MFW has chosen some books at the High School level that I personally would substitute, I have not found their elementary levels to include anything that I disagree with doctrinally.

After all that is what this thread was about. :)

I'm a long time MFW user. Here is my answer.

They recommend reading Purpose Driven Life and only reading the book but not following Rick Warren or any of the church programs from the book either. I sorta like it and sorta wish I could have been on the editorial staff. ;)

From what I have seen of the actual high school program, MFW is not advocating following Rick Warren or his preachings or to investigate his life. PDL is used to help teens begin to think about serving God for their purpose in life. . It is that content that MFW suggests to read the book as one tiny part of a few weeks in the curriculum.

and that is what Dhudson brought up -- what's the reason for the book. It has an academic purpose in there.

But during those same weeks that the kids are reading that PDL book, you have real inductive Bible study with the chronological OT study. Why use that book by that author, ? -- tends to be a commonly asked question about any book.

The book is used because it is about living for God with reasons other than just existing in life. I think the question is just along the same lines of why read Homer? No matter which author of this kind of worldview that MFW picks, there will be controversy.

Sadly,if they picked John Piper's book -- there would be rumor mills about him. sadly if they picked Do Hard Things by the Harris brothers -- people would nit pick about them. If they selected Life on Loan...... sigh.......

I don't envy the position that any curriculum developers go through on this.

In fact, the same can be said of many books in MFW -- MFW doesn't encourage her to follow Susan Wise Bauer on twitter or her blog. Yet they use SOTW. MFW doesn't encourage us to follow the writers of Usborne books, or Apologia books. I'm guessing that I don't 100% agree with Susan Wise Bauer's views on all things in life. ;) But I can still enjoy Story of the World and even like visiting this forum. I don't know anything about the life of the author of Apologia elementary, but can still her use books. I have no interest in digging around on Mr. Warren's life, but I can read a book with my child and discuss it each week during the weekly parent conference. I rather enjoy the fact that MFW picks "controversial" books as part of the time the kids are in my house. I think it is part of training their minds and hearts.

So, my opinion and experience with MFW's selections of books? Read the book. Talk about the book, not the author. It is one book and the content in that book. Not an examination of his life. and it is one of the easiest books in all of MFW's years to trade out.

P.s. They don't use the Ortberg book. The Old Testament Challenge in AHL year -- is a different book, different author, different publisher.

-crystal

I think that you ought to write to the author with your concern. If they are not supportive of the emerging church philosophy, it could be promoting a rumor to be asking about it here.

I wouldn't make rhe use of one book, widely read by Christians across denominations, the litmus test of a currriculum.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

If anyone chooses to publicly post on their message board, keep in mind their board rules include: it's ok to ask questions, but don't *link* to doctrine sites, and don't link to youtube :lol: (that's because youtube can have offensive stuff and all of that). different forum, different reasons.

and they don't like to leave doctrine issues on the board for long if it gets unproductive.

-crystal

OK, I just asked the same question on MFW board , asking the MFW staff for an answer... I edited my post to sound as nice as possible and they removed my post !!!

What do you think about that ?

Now their silence answers everything to me.

You can replace these books but I just don't feel comfortable using a curriculum that strongly encourages (through at least two books ) this movement.

No it doesn't they are trying to contact you off board. You had doctrine links and youtube stuff and it was hard for their moderator to edit it quickly. It's their board rules on that about links. But they are trying to contact you off board to talk with you about your concerns.

by the way.....they don't use the Ortberg book. You have misinformation on that.

And the curriculum does not encourage this movement.

You can call them if you aren't happy with how they removed the post due to links and that. They aren't mad. I know them.

-crystal

OK, I just asked the same question on MFW board , asking the MFW staff for an answer... I edited my post to sound as nice as possible and they removed my post !!!

What do you think about that ?

Now their silence answers everything to me.

You can replace these books but I just don't feel comfortable using a curriculum that strongly encourages (through at least two books ) this movement.

Which movement? Emergent? Emerging? Seeker? Those 3 words reference different things and I think it's important to be specific.

As for the deleted post, while I do not think it "answers" anything, I do think it's a bummer. I hate it when companies choose not to answer these questions. They shoot themselves in the foot.

I hate it when companies choose not to answer these questions. They shoot themselves in the foot.

I do agree with you that it should have been handled a little differently.

Being the most frequent contributor on the MFW board, I know more of the thinking of their moderator. I don't always agree with her. But she is my friend. Ok, I seldom agree with how she does this. but I really like her anyway.

They aren't shying away from the question though. I know more of the story. The problem was with themultiple "hot topic" links that were posted on their board, not the actual question,which was fine. They have an email FAQ answer on it that they already sent her.

They actually are planning to answer it on the board. I know this forum moves faster than that forum.... so it might not happen until later. But they did contact her about the post.

so...... yeah, I agree there has to be a kinder way to edit a post by an admin. But at the same time, there isn't a perfect way to edit it either from their perspective.

hope that helps on any hard feelings and misunderstandings of cultural differences on forums.

blessings,

-crystal

It seems this question has been asked an awful lot. I think it would benefit MFW to post a reasoned reply to the issue and keep it permanently linked to their website. It might head off some of this controversy for them. I'm surprised they haven't already done this.

Not a fan of seeker sensitive philosophy or the emerging church. I am pretty solid Southern Baptist conservative here and a heavy reader with LOTS of strong opinions and haven't had a problem with MFW. Do I agree with everything in every book? No, but I don't in any other curriculum either. I don't agree 100% with all the recommendations in WTM either but I generally follow it and we still use SOTW. One (or even two or three) in a 12 year curriculum span does not make a curriculum bad or even swing one way or the other. I have personally talked to MFW about these issues and have been impressed with how careful they are to make choices that do not offend and allow the parents to make the commentary on theology.

I just want to caution with MFW or any other curriculum, to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Look at the overall picture, we hs so that we can take the opportunity to choose not to read a book or to take the opportunity to teach our children that just because a book says it that it doesn't make it right. We need to teach our kids to be Bereans and search out the truth for ourselves.

I am going out on the line to say that I am pretty sure that MFW does not follow emerging church philosophy. It's one book, not a philosophy statement. ;)

One last thing and then I'll leave it alone. I think it would also benefit MFW to realize just how many Christians have had a horrible experience with the Purpose-Driven Life book.

Thousands upon thousands of churches have bought these books by the truckload and then read them as a congregation. Next came the 40 days of Purpose and then bit by bit these people experienced their church undergo a profound change. It leaves a bad taste in people's mouths especially those who have walked away from churches that embraced this brand of theology.

Now I'm not saying MFW believes this way but I think they need to realize there is more baggage behind this book and Rick Warren's ministry than just a simple controversy over a book selection. And MFW's response would probably put all this to rest. I love David Hazell's CD's. He just needs to write a response. :-)

Edited by Daisy

It seems this question has been asked an awful lot. I think it would benefit MFW to post a reasoned reply to the issue and keep it permanently linked to their website. It might head off some of this controversy for them. I'm surprised they haven't already done this.

I have prayed for a long time that they would have more "internet" staff to be able to devote full time to a real FAQ to many questions. I guess they don't quite see internet boards the same way we addicted types do :lol:

David is definitely a phone guy on this stuff. But as someone who posts all the time on his board, I keep saying.... come on David.... post it, or at least record it as a pod cast.

So, I continue to pray for my friends who work now at MFW and will work for them some day in God's timing. I'm always surprised at just how few people work there to do it all and get those orders out on time and all of that.

-crystal

I have prayed for a long time that they would have more "internet" staff to be able to devote full time to a real FAQ to many questions. I guess they don't quite see internet boards the same way we addicted types do :lol:

David is definitely a phone guy on this stuff. But as someone who posts all the time on his board, I keep saying.... come on David.... post it, or at least record it as a pod cast.

So, I continue to pray for my friends who work now at MFW and will work for them some day in God's timing. I'm always surprised at just how few people work there to do it all and get those orders out on time and all of that.

-crystal

I still want to know what kind of church he goes to....you wouldn't care to fill us in? LOL!

I agree, he does seem to be a phone person (and is really great to talk with), but it would be nice to have more online interaction and response to questions.

I still want to know what kind of church he goes to....you wouldn't care to fill us in? LOL!

Yes, I do know, but I'll keep you guessing because then it becomes a fun inside joke to play with alongside you. it's so much more fun on the internet to get all silly on this stuff :lol: well I think so anyway.....

Here's how I found out. I used the MFW program for several years. Then, my husband and I wanted to learn more about the missions fund of MFW.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/missions.htm

We asked to visit to check them out. Are they legit? Are they wackos? Where's the money going... what's your house look like? (normal, about like mine, except cleaner.) what cars you drive? (a minivan of course duh.) ohhh..... I was too nit picky. blush blush blush....

during our visit, we got to see the church they attend. (he's not a pastor. he's on missions committee. Afterall, it's who the Hazells are --- missionaries who want the whole world to know Jesus, whom they love and to have a Bible in their heart language. )

David never asked me to not tell, so I'm not under obligation to not say. But out of respect for privacy of his family..... there are just some things I won't talk on the internet about....

So, I half joked with David, but was serious at the same time.....

don't worry, David, I will not post the church name here nor there.

I will not post it anywhere.

I may not like green eggs and ham,

but I really like the "currciulam,"

for it crazy I am...

:hat:

:tongue_smilie:

I agree, he does seem to be a phone person (and is really great to talk with), but it would be nice to have more online interaction and response to questions.

praying for those podcast. praying for those podcasts.....

-crystal

I personally have not used MFW. I am also not bashing them. I just made a choice for my family. Please do not think this post is MFW bashing.

I considered the curriculum for my high schooler until I saw the Purpose Driven book on their reading list.

I have attached some links for those who do not agree with the Purpose Driven movement if you support Warren than you will not like this link

http://www.cicministry.org/

The link is in the left side column along with a series of audio addressing this subject

this sight compares all elements of the 40 day to scripture

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/smith-deceived_on_purpose.htm

Deceived on Purpose The New Age Implications of the Purpose-Driven Church

I recommend the book if you have had doubts about the purpose driven. The authors opinion is really interesting. The above link has sections of the book for you to read

I also don't really put Rick Warren in the emergent church catagory. And having read the book it really isn't anything earth shaking in content.

I personally have not used MFW. I am also not bashing them. I just made a choice for my family. Please do not think this post is MFW bashing.

I considered the curriculum for my high schooler until I saw the Purpose Driven book on their reading list.

I have attached some links for those who do not agree with the Purpose Driven movement if you support Warren than you will not like this link

http://www.cicministry.org/

The link is in the left side column along with a series of audio addressing this subject

this sight compares all elements of the 40 day to scripture

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/smith-deceived_on_purpose.htm

Deceived on Purpose The New Age Implications of the Purpose-Driven Church

I recommend the book if you have had doubts about the purpose driven. The authors opinion is really interesting. The above link has sections of the book for you to read

I appreciate your input and I realize that not all curriculum is a good fit for everyone but I still question the thought of throwing out an entire curriculum because of one book. I don't think I would use ANY curriculum except for the Bible if I did that. Although, there are some parts of the Bible that we edit too. At least until they are older, can't imagine explaining parts of Song of Solomon to an 8 yr old:glare:.