Menu

What has given your children a heart to know God and live for Him?

Mommy7

In my search to homeschool with excellence, I don't want to ever get so caught up in the academics that I forget one of my primary reasons for homeschooling in the first place...the opportunity to disciple my children.

What books have you had your children read that have been life changing? Is there a particular Bible study that has made a difference? With hindsight being 20/20, what would you do differently?

Our family loves the Lamplighter books!!! They truly are life changing.

My children are 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 13. Although we have used a wide variety of things for devotions, I haven't found a great Bible study that will work across the ages of my children.

What has worked well in your family?

I think HOD's Bible study and how they show God's hand throughout history has really changed my children's hearts. I'm not currently using HOD due to completely being worn out and taking an easy year, but I so miss the Bible. I love that it leads the kids into a personal study of and relationship with God on a daily basis and helps them see Him in everything from science to history to, well, everything they study! HE is the true center of the education given through HOD.

As for family time Bible, I've found at the younger ages, you can use just about any Bible story book, discuss it and then ask questions about application...my children have opened up so honestly when we've talked about events that involved lying and what God things of lying..DH bluntly asked if they would like to confess anything that they feel convicted of after our reading and discussion...I was SHOCKED and they were relieved! I could see them growing right then. Even the story of Lot and Abraham, where Abraham "shared" the land and let Lot choose...my kids discussed how sharing is more than letting someone play with a toy, but having a real heart to see the other person happy and giving up something of your own (be it an object or your time, etc.) even if you'll never get it back. I can't believe how far discussion goes when you can bluntly ask questions of your kids and stop sugar coating or pumping their egos...they are sinners and they are in need of God. You can do so much with that perspective no matter what you use.

For later ages, I am loving the look of Apologia's new Bible study series. The first is titled "Who is God?" and there are 3 more coming out. They say for ages 6 and up I think.

Sorry this got long! I'm sure you understand my passion though...great question and I look forward to seeing more answers!

In my search to homeschool with excellence, I don't want to ever get so caught up in the academics that I forget one of my primary reasons for homeschooling in the first place...the opportunity to disciple my children.

I couldn't agree with you more.

We've found Leading Little Ones to God, Training Hearts, Teaching Minds, and the series called Train Up a Child by Kaye Freeman to be wonderful sources. We're also looking forward to using Summit/Apologia's new book, Who is God?

But, what I've found is that my dh's and my walk with Christ has been the single most influential thing. When we grow, they grow. I've felt very convicted in this. God has shown me that the weaknesses I see in them are really weaknesses of my own. Humbling. :blush:

God has shown me that the weaknesses I see in them are really weaknesses of my own. Humbling. :blush:

Most definitely! I have no idea why my 3yo yells sharply at his siblings sometimes and has a short temper...hmm...ME :glare:. Mind you, my pregnancy hormones as I near these final weeks have really taken a toll on my emotions dealing with 3 children by myself (dh is gone all the time for school)...but that's no excuse. They point out so much...my little mirrors. Great teaching moment and I agree with all that you said about us moms and dads being the greatest influence.

What books have you had your children read that have been life changing? Is there a particular Bible study that has made a difference? With hindsight being 20/20, what would you do differently?

My children are 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 13. Although we have used a wide variety of things for devotions, I haven't found a great Bible study that will work across the ages of my children.

Going to church regularly and participating in many activities. Making friends with a good group of kids at church. Saying a decade of the rosary together in the evening. Little Flowers Club at church for the little ones. Book we like a lot - Rare Catholic Stories (from Catholic Heritage Curriculum).

Well, my kids go to church and attend clubs and pray and read the Bible and...but I am concerned about the very same thing. They are still very selfish (and I honestly don't know where they come by that except it is the sin nature), hurtful toward each other, disrespectful, have bad attitudes, etc. I'd love to know the "magic pill" for instilling the love of God in their hearts such that they SHOW it in their daily life. Keep the ideas coming!

We've started reading the Chronicles of Narnia accompanied by Roar!

I have learned so much, my heart has been so humbled and moved by the glory of God through what we've covered in this book, and ds is now much more aware of the glory of God. I would HIGHLY recommend it :)

We are using Proverbs People as a morning devotion with our children. It's been a fantastic character study for us all! We also use the Truth and Grace Memory Books to memorize verses, catechism and hymns.

Shepherding a Child's Heart and Instructing a Child's Heart are two of my favorite books for adults on discipling children. I've also learned a great deal from Hold On To Your Kids, which is a fantastic secular book that mirrors many of my own values as a Christian...puts them into words in a way I'd not thought of before!

Regularly praying for our children

Only the Lord can change a person's heart and attitudes. Actually praying Scripture (God's Word) for/into our children is extremely powerful. "Watchmen on the Walls: Praying Character into Your Child" (Arkins & Harrell), and "Power of a Praying Parent" (O'Martian) are 2 additional very helpful resources.

Modeling forgiveness

When I blow it with my children, I seek them out and confess that and ask their forgiveness. While some may say that make the child see the parent and his/her authority as weakened, if anything, I see that it softens my children's hearts toward me, it models how to restore relationship, it has led to great conversations about God still requires us to submit to imperfect human authorities throughout our whole lives -- and how much easier it is when that authority is willing to be humble and confess inevitable wrongs when they happen.

Morning devotional/Bible time

We always start our school days by putting our focus first on the Lord. Everything else falls into place after that -- and if something doesn't get done that school day, then I know that it was not on the Lord's priority list for us. It is important to model that spending time with the Lord *ALWAYS* is more important than academics, phone/doorbell interruptions, busy schedules, etc. I love Martin Luther's thought: "I am so busy today that I need to spend an EXTRA hour in prayer first."

Use the ACTS acronym when we pray

Training our children that prayer is dialogue -- taking turns with God, talking AND LISTENING -- not putting "word nickels" into the "cosmic vending machine" of God for a list of wants.

Adoration -- first, always focus on Him, praise Him for who He is and what He's done

Confession -- which leads me to see where I have not lived up to His perfection, and dealing with that with Him

Thanksgiving -- which leads to my gratitude for what He has done for, all He has blessed me with...

Supplication -- which then leads me to bring to Him my requests on behalf of others and myself

Supportive church

We are fortunate enough to have been in a very homeschool friendly church -- but more than that, one with a philosophy for children's ministry that at every age, the children minister downward and outward and learn from an early age to serve and be a part of church ministry -- not to just receive for years and years and then suddenly at age 18 or 21 be expected to know how or want to serve:

- upper class high school youth can teach Sunday school classes, and have a worship band which ministers once a month as worship leaders for church service

- jr/sr high youth serve as assistants in Sunday School classes, serve communion, pass the offering; etc

- upper elementary students put together and give a skit of a Bible story to the rest of Sunday school once a month

- young elementary and pre-school sing and visit at a nursing home, make cards for military serving overseas, etc.

Lots and lots of books

As part of our morning "together time" all throughout our homeschooling we include lots of books in support of Bible study:

- Biographies to inspire us (we STILL refer to events from The Hiding Place!)

- Stories to model and point out character qualities and virtues

- Book on manners

- Young Peacemakers (and other books on godly relationships)

- Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends

Staying close in the teen years

- regularly having one-on-one time just to be together, build relationship, be able to talk when the moment is right.

- read worldview materials together, to understand other belief systems and their consequences, and to better understand our own Christian faith.

- Worldview Academy summer leadership camp to help teens "take ownership" of their own faith

- family after dinner book a few nights a week to discuss together/challenge us (How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig; Do Hard Things; I Kissed Dating Goodbye; The Screwtape Letters; The Great Divorce; Fearfully and Wonderfully Made; Don't Waste Your Life...)

Edited by Lori D.
fixed typos

Most definitely! I have no idea why my 3yo yells sharply at his siblings sometimes and has a short temper...hmm...ME :glare:. Mind you, my pregnancy hormones as I near these final weeks have really taken a toll on my emotions dealing with 3 children by myself (dh is gone all the time for school)...but that's no excuse. They point out so much...my little mirrors. Great teaching moment and I agree with all that you said about us moms and dads being the greatest influence.

:)

Yep, mirrors they are.

Many of the things that others have mentioned especially worshipping our Lord at church and home, time for meditation during daily prayers, the sacraments, etc.

Another book that has really touched our hearts, but that I would not say is life changing, is A Child's Geography: Bible Lands vol 2

http://www.achildsgeography.com/about-volume-two/

I wish it had been available when my older children were young, although it could easily be used through 8th grade. It does give one a heart for God's world.

Modeling forgiveness

When I blow it with my children, I seek them out and confess that and ask their forgiveness. While some may say that make the child see the parent and his/her authority as weakened, if anything, I see that it softens my children's hearts toward me, it models how to restore relationship, it has led to great conversations about God still requires us to submit to imperfect human authorities throughout our whole lives -- and how much easier it is when that authority is willing to be humble and confess inevitable wrongs when they happen.

Amen

Amen

Amen

Amen!

Humbling myself, speaking what I did wrong, and asking for forgiveness is what God has shown me he wants me to do when I blow it with my kids. And boy has it ever worked. Their hearts are softened. Our relationship is restored. Afterward I have more authority with them than ever, because they trust me more than ever. I have shown that I have their best interests at heart. I have shown them that I am aware of my imperfection. And I have pointed the way once again to God who is perfectly trustworthy.

I wish I could say I rose up to meet the rest of your list, but I don't. So I'm not super-qualified to offer advice. But, I just had to second this item. I've seen it bear much fruit in our lives.

Ok, now I'll lurk for more great ideas.

:lurk5:

Living our lives so that what we SAY we believe is actually lived out. I have been greatly convicted of this lately.

If we tell our kids that following Christ brings peace...they should be able to see that in our life. If we tell them they can trust God, they should be able to see that. If we tell them our circumstances don't dictate whether we are hopeful or joyful, that's what they should see also. If we tell them we are to love and serve others, they should be seeing that in us. We can not give away what we do not possess. Are my words and life in alignment? When they look at how I live my daily life, would they say "I want that, too" (whether they can verbalize it or not)? I'm not talking about pretending so that they think following Christ is a ticket to the "Camp Happy"...as a matter of fact, we talk regularly about how this path is hard....it requires a lot from us. BUT, if they can't see something powerful and steadfast, something remarkable, about how we meet the dark places in this life, there is absolutely no reason for them to want to embrace it for themselves.

Edited by Debbie in OR

Homeschooling itself has made our faith much more clear to our children (we didn't start homeschooling til late in our parenting).

Praying together. Singing hymns. And reading the Bible, over & over.

We use My Father's World, and faith lessons are infused throughout our years, and are part of the real curriculum so they don't get set aside or squished in.

Before that, I used materials from many sources with my older dd, but probably the most meaningful was reading the Bible (we used a simpler translation, the NIrV), and we used Greenleaf Guide for some simple questions to keep us discussing things (during the OT).

What a great aspiration you have!

Julie

Lori D. - love your list!

Beautiful Girlhood book & companion guide have helped my non-introspective DD consider her character and her behavior as a Christian. It's wonderful to see her actively working on character traits like cheerfulness and obedience. It's a little old fashioned, but the lessons are timeless.

Edited by amtmcm

Lori D- you wrote a lot of what I want to say!

I'd like to add: I've been reading Chaim Potok books of late and what really jazzes me about the books is his potrayal of the education and the potrayal of the realtionships- they are intimately intertwined. The parents and the children eat and breathe and study together. There is an understanding that they are conected, as family, in an intimate and beautiful way and, despite differences, they treasure that. It is a Hebraic way of understanding, not Judaizing, but Hebraic. The more we learn about it, the more Messianic Jews we know, the more we study, the more hungry for this we are, because it is about community and legacy and what's to come and our part in history, this time, this place, what's past, what's future.

Books we've loved as a family from a devo pov: Narnia, Till We Have Faces and all other works by C.S. Lewis, L'Abri, How Shall We Then Live, The Bible (out loud and long sections), different versions depending on age, Arch books (for the littles) The Little Pilgrim's Progress, Pilgrim's Progress. J.R.R. Tolkiens collected works as well as a slew of movies, bio's, historical fiction.

We like the Keeper's of the Faith character studies.

I also do not tolerate inappropriate talk. If they are not getting along they have to stop what they are doing, look into each other's eyes, hold hands maybe, and say something nice and heartfelt to the other one. It always changes the mood and things move on in a positve manner. We have done this for years and rarely do they argue (but the teen years are still ahead so we shall see;)).

Also talking with them about God and His expectations helps.

Molly

I have been mulling over the same thing lately, really wanting to find how to help them develop a true relationship with God. I am enjoying reading this thread. We are currently reading this in our nightly family devotion with Daddy.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=85176&event=CFN

It has been great for our age difference (12 and 6). It is actual portions of scripture, but not too long for the younger. It is meant to be a daily devotion to read through the Bible in a year by reading through parts of it.

I am trying to put together our own Bible curriculum this year by studying character traits. I'm using online resources, the Book of Virtues, a book called Searching for Treasure, and anything else I can come across. We started with love and "A Life God Rewards", because I felt like we should start with what it's all about. I am seeing some differences, but I know there's more.

I am so enjoying reading all the responses. Yes, they (dc) are definitely mirrors. That is very convicting. Let's pray for each other that we will be the kind of example our dc need to see...that we will have such a walk with the Lord that they want it too.

I admit that sometimes I get so busy with schooling them all that it is difficult to actually spend time with God. But, then my dh always says we find time for what we really want to do. For me, though, it seems to be a time thing...I am fighting a physical battle with Lyme disease, so it is difficult to get up early enough to make it happen before the day starts. At the end of the day, I am so tired I just want to go to bed. This busyness leaves me so longing for the time to be still and be with God. I know He is with me all day...otherwise I would never have the strength to do it all. But, sometimes I feel like I am running on a spiritual "empty" because of the circumstances. Does anyone out there struggle with this same issue of having a hard time finding time to be alone with God?

Oh, I wanted to add that I forgot about one study we have done that DID cross the ages...my dh reminded me of it...Character Building for Families. I bought it at Rainbow Resource.

I hope there will be a lot more responses. It has been a blessing to read.

My first thought was not curriculum-related at all, but relational. I think what has helped our kids is the influence of godly people, whether parents, siblings, extended relatives, friends, people from church, camp counselors, etc. For me, the example of prayer as an intimate conversation with a mighty and loving God that my mom set for me was amazing. Of course, time in the Word is invaluable.

Summer camp at Christian camps has been very influential on our kids and their faith-life.

OAFC (On-going Ambassadors For Christ) is another outside-the-home experience that has made a big impact on our son especially.

Christian music has been helpful.

I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be thankful enough for like-minded Christian friends for our kids. Positive peer pressure is a beautiful thing!

Our oldest is twenty and plans to attend seminary after college and become a pastor. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not perfect, believe me, but I am so thankful that God has helped him be so interested in helping others in this way.

The Word of God has power and it will accomplish its purpose. I am thankful for all the opportunities our children have in this country to read and hear and learn and study GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Word and grow in their faith.

In our house, what has worked best is doing our best to live the lifestyle of the Bible as best we can. When my kids ask to have a Bible and read it, we give them one. The older ones have taken some classes on CD and/or DVD, but if I were to make it a regular part of our school day, they would soon hate it. There is no one perfect way.

How well has it worked? This past summer my dd and I attended a Bible study at a different church than ours. Several times I was told how my dd was the boldest at starting and how much ability and understanding she had for her age, and some of those dc go to a private Christian school. My point is that there isn't one way to do this. I think of the teaching in Deut for parents to teach their children and how it makes the point to teach them all the time as you're living life. I do think that for many, a daily Bible study done as part of the school day is just the thing. But I also have a dd who rebelled at memorizing scripture at a young age and dh reminded me then that we can't force it on them or they'll grow up to hate God, etc. This is the same dd who was so fluent at the Bible study, btw.

Keys For Kids has a great daily devotion. We print offline to get KJV but if you dont mind more modern translation you can have it maile to you bi-monthly. You can sign up online and they will send you the first year for free! After that I think the books are only like $2.00. My girls are really enjoying them. Our AWOA has an in depth bible study every mornins so we use the Keys For Kids as an extra. Teaches really good lessons.

My children attend Sunday school, Awana, and my oldest is using the Kay Author studies. I am using a Christian curriculum so that helps with our daily walk.

My daughter was three years old and we were not attending any church (just moved) and I found her talking to herself and I asked who she was talking to and she said Jesus. She knew him before we really talked to her about Him. She has a better relationship with Him then the rest of us.

I am so enjoying reading all the responses. Yes, they (dc) are definitely mirrors. That is very convicting. Let's pray for each other that we will be the kind of example our dc need to see...that we will have such a walk with the Lord that they want it too.

I admit that sometimes I get so busy with schooling them all that it is difficult to actually spend time with God. But, then my dh always says we find time for what we really want to do. For me, though, it seems to be a time thing...I am fighting a physical battle with Lyme disease, so it is difficult to get up early enough to make it happen before the day starts. At the end of the day, I am so tired I just want to go to bed. This busyness leaves me so longing for the time to be still and be with God. I know He is with me all day...otherwise I would never have the strength to do it all. But, sometimes I feel like I am running on a spiritual "empty" because of the circumstances. Does anyone out there struggle with this same issue of having a hard time finding time to be alone with God?

Oh, I wanted to add that I forgot about one study we have done that DID cross the ages...my dh reminded me of it...Character Building for Families. I bought it at Rainbow Resource.

I hope there will be a lot more responses. It has been a blessing to read.

You aren't alone in this battle. I struggle regularly to get up early enough and then be awake enough at night. My days are too busy. My husband isn't home every night, but when he is, I really enjoy his leading a short study with us all and seeing how he gets deep into the kids hearts...and mine. You can tell God is using him even when his time is so short with us right now (I just can't wait till he's done with school!!!).

Obviously, being pregnant has much to do with this, but I have a heart condition as well that causes this tiredness and such to interfere on a daily basis even when I'm not pregnant. Remember that even if you only get 2 minutes here and there, that can add up :001_smile: I need to remember that also. I thought about putting my devotional in the bathroom since being 8 months pregnant with a baby against my bladder sends me running in there often! LOL If I can read bits of it here and there throughtout the day, that would be helpful. I am one that deals with the "if I can't do it all now, I can't start" issue. Gotta get over that!! I don't need 30 minute blocks to pray or read my Bible...a little here and a little there. (no, I have not gotten into this habit, but would be great if I did!) I do feel that I would be better able to handle my children in a more God-pleasing manner, as well as be a better example of my expectations of them, if I did this. I feel your pain with the spiritual empty feeling.

I think the most beneficial thing that we've done is teach them the sacredness of God's Word. We've always taught them that the Bible is different than every other book because it's God-breathed (inspired). We have always read the Bible to them and taught them principles straight from the Word rather than using alot of curricula. We haven't always known how to do that but fortunately we are growing in this area and we have made it our #1 priority.

After that, we've made sure that the teaching that they receive at church is sound and honoring to God. They attend Sunday School and a children's discipleship program. Their teachers are very sincere and serious-minded about what they are doing. They are mature in their faith. The children love it and have alot of fun but know that the reason they are there is to learn the Bible and to grow in obedience.

We have always stressed to them that there is fruit in obedience and we have never fallen into the lie/trap of thinking that obedience to God's Word is legalism. I think my husband and I have done a good job of teaching a balance of God's grace and His commandments.

In recent months, we've made a strong effort to surround our children with mature believers who love them and who have alot of patience with them. Both of them are learning that God's people can be trusted to help them and mentor them when they need that. We are making stronger friendships with Christian friends who are just thrilled to see our children growing spiritually. Our boys know that other Christians are praying for them. That is making a huge impact of both of them right now. The older ladies in our church are full of encouragement towards them and the men treat them as future men and brothers in Christ and not as bothers.

We memorize Scripture, fill our home with Christian music, pray with them daily, talk to them honestly about our own struggles, and pray for them constantly. We have full assurance that God is working in their hearts and we believe, by faith, that He will grow them into the men they are supposed to be for Him. We know we can't do anything for them apart from the Holy Spirit.

As far as our homeschool curriculum, just this year we decided to focus more on the Bible in all parts of our curriculum and to choose resources that are more God-honoring. We decided to try Heart of Dakota curriculum and we just LOVE it. Everything about HOD is focused on God and the Bible.

I think HOD's Bible study and how they show God's hand throughout history has really changed my children's hearts. I'm not currently using HOD due to completely being worn out and taking an easy year, but I so miss the Bible. I love that it leads the kids into a personal study of and relationship with God on a daily basis and helps them see Him in everything from science to history to, well, everything they study! HE is the true center of the education given through HOD....

What is HOD? I didn't find it on my abbreviation cheat sheet!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/board-abbreviations/

Heart of Dakota has definitely blessed our family. I love snuggling on the couch reading History, Science & Bible together. We memorize scripture each week with our lessons and I love that.

Another thing we do as a family once each week is have communion together. There is special juice and crackers that have been prayed over and we only use it for our prayer/communion time. My children are very young but I have explained the meaning of what we are doing and why. We also have special little fancy glasses that are only used for this. I think it really is something they will look back on and see as a very special family time. It has been such a blessing to our family.

Well, my kids go to church and attend clubs and pray and read the Bible and...but I am concerned about the very same thing. They are still very selfish (and I honestly don't know where they come by that except it is the sin nature), hurtful toward each other, disrespectful, have bad attitudes, etc. I'd love to know the "magic pill" for instilling the love of God in their hearts such that they SHOW it in their daily life. Keep the ideas coming!

Yes, this happens, all too much. It definitely is the sin nature. They have it. I have it. They have also learned much of it from me (how I ache to think of it).

Only God Himself can give a new heart.

Our job is Deuteronomy 6 -- teach "these words" of God's (i.e., the scriptures) diligently to our children -- talk of them when we sit in our house, when we walk by the way, when we lie down, and when we rise. A lifestyle. Over a long period of time. In a variety of ways with a variety of means. Day in and day out. Year after year....albeit imperfectly and too many times sinfully. Just reading now the whole 6th chapter of Deuteronomy, we have a big responsibility. And God gives the increase. God's word is living and active and powerful (Hebrews 4:12), and God's word does not return void , it accomplishes the purposes for which He sent it (Isaiah 55:11). Teaching the Bible accurately is of utmost importance.

Lori D. and Donna T. had some super recommendations, those are great. And I agree, lots of godly input and keeping a good relationship through the tough times will be very helpful.

I just wanted to say, though, that there was a time when I was very disappointed in my kids because they were like this or that, or not like this or that. I have come to realize, though, that my kids are actually pretty great kids! Eureka! Maybe it's because they are older now. They start to produce the fruit that we have cultivated over all these years, and I am starting to see it. Wow! Of course not perfect, and neither am I. And sometimes I can't seem to remember that they are KIDS! And as kids they are going to act childishly. I have to remember to let them off the hook for that and not expect them to be adults b/c they're not, while at the same time calling them to account for wrongdoing and praising and encouraging them for the good. Sheesh, what a lot of stuff to remember and do!

So, keep up the work! Be faithful. It is a very long road.

Gal. 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

I am talking to myself primarily!!!! lol;)

Blessings!

Yes, it is their sin nature, and I agree with the previous replier about what our job is. This is how it works out for us in everyday practice. Children will do what they see/hear you do. If you keep your process of sanctification private (in your head), they do not know what's going on in there. So I decided to think and talk to God throughout the day out loud, and involve them in that activity.

If you believe that God is 100% sovereign over every aspect of your daily life then show it. The kids and I pray for a parking spot at the grocery store and we thank God when we find one. (I demonstrate I believe in his provision, and I demonstrate thankfulness). One day we found a mini video camera forgotten outside Costco, and we all went back to the store to turn it in, but not just because it was the right thing to do. We talked about what options we had, and making a conscious choice that would please God, even if it would have been soooo coool to have one for FREE!. How "finders keepers" is not in the Bible. LOL If we see children screaming at their mommies in the store we talk about the commandment to honor your parents. If after a long day, I snap at one of them, I apologize to them and tell them how the Holy Spirit inside me told me what I had done was wrong. When they want to watch a certain movie, or read a certain book, we talk about the Bible telling us that we need to feed our Spirit with good things and we decide based on whether it is good or garbage. And so on, we try to frame everything we do based on what we know about His Word.

So if they consistently see you applying the Bible directly to what you do in everything, they correctly assume this is the way we should all live. That is basically what 'pray without ceasing' means. We study the Bible too, but this way "Bible" is not just a school subject (the way it was for me growing up). And this regular conversation with God is not hard to implement at all. That is how we live out Deut. 6 "talk of them when you sit in your house, when we walk by the way...". My children know where we (parents) make good choices, and just as important, they know where we struggle to make good choices. They know we know we are not perfect and there to judge them; we're simply a little futher along on our journey toward HIM. :)

Edited by irizarry4

My oldest is 14. She definitely has a heart for God, and has been stronger in this direction for the past year. My next child, the 11yo, does also and has a heart to memorize scripture...he blows me away with that. He is a boy of few words but has the ability to look at a situation and sum up the truth of it in about 1 sentence. He just sees what is going on and knows when it is outside of God's will. Looking back, I can say that it has little to do with which Bible "curriculum" I may have used, though their heart for the Lord has come a lot through the consistency and solid teaching from MFW and its mission focus/truth focus. Most of their growth has been because dh and I have prayed for them, I've prayed for them, we've prayed together, we've talked about choices and how to make Christ-like choices, and we've been consistent about studying the Bible at least once per day.

I've not read any of the 4 pages of replies :lol: but to give a short answer to the op, the first things off the top of my head are to read missionary biographies, historical fiction set in the times of Jesus and the New Testament (one example is The Bronze Bow), of course reading directly from the Bible on a regular basis and discuss, discuss, discuss the work of God in our lives and our family. We teach them to understand that the Gospel is the ENTIRE 66 books of the Bible and not just 7 or 8 memorized verses out of the New Testament, learning about both history and science in context of scripture. It's important to know how they relate to one another, and the fact that the Bible basically *proves* history, and vice versa... history and science aren't separate subjects from the Bible. Of course we use a curriculum that integrates these things and has a strong biblical worldview, and which also confirms the reason we've been put on this earth and called to be children of God. (Our curriculum also works across the ages of my children. ;) ) But that's our goal -- to disciple and educate ALL of us together as a family. Do we just want godly children who aren't educated well? No. Do we want well-educated children who aren't godly? No. We want godly, well-educated children who are willing, ready, and able to do battle for God.

Our goal as a family is to have our children trained by the time they're teenage to be able to give a defense of their faith, and we don't believe you can do that when you compartmentalize everything. Kingdom thinking (and Bible study) involves ALL of life.

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Tim. 3:16-18

What books have you had your children read that have been life changing?
The Narrow Road by Brother Andrew is the first one that comes to mind.

Is there a particular Bible study that has made a difference?
If I have to name a particular "Bible study", it would be the Bible and history lessons that are built into the curriculum we use, which is My Father's World.

With hindsight being 20/20, what would you do differently?
More consistency and less curriculum shopping after having found MFW.

Yes, this happens, all too much. It definitely is the sin nature. They have it. I have it. They have also learned much of it from me (how I ache to think of it).

Only God Himself can give a new heart.

Our job is Deuteronomy 6 -- teach "these words" of God's (i.e., the scriptures) diligently to our children -- talk of them when we sit in our house, when we walk by the way, when we lie down, and when we rise. A lifestyle. Over a long period of time. In a variety of ways with a variety of means. Day in and day out. Year after year....albeit imperfectly and too many times sinfully. Just reading now the whole 6th chapter of Deuteronomy, we have a big responsibility. And God gives the increase. God's word is living and active and powerful (Hebrews 4:12), and God's word does not return void , it accomplishes the purposes for which He sent it (Isaiah 55:11). Teaching the Bible accurately is of utmost importance.

Lori D. and Donna T. had some super recommendations, those are great. And I agree, lots of godly input and keeping a good relationship through the tough times will be very helpful.

I just wanted to say, though, that there was a time when I was very disappointed in my kids because they were like this or that, or not like this or that. I have come to realize, though, that my kids are actually pretty great kids! Eureka! Maybe it's because they are older now. They start to produce the fruit that we have cultivated over all these years, and I am starting to see it. Wow! Of course not perfect, and neither am I. And sometimes I can't seem to remember that they are KIDS! And as kids they are going to act childishly. I have to remember to let them off the hook for that and not expect them to be adults b/c they're not, while at the same time calling them to account for wrongdoing and praising and encouraging them for the good. Sheesh, what a lot of stuff to remember and do!

So, keep up the work! Be faithful. It is a very long road.

Gal. 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

I am talking to myself primarily!!!! lol;)

Blessings!

Diane--

Thank you for that post! I really appreciate your words:001_smile:.

mama2cntrykids -- thanks for your affirmation, I appreciate it.

irizarry4 and Donna A. -- what you say is so true!

MissKNG -- I didn't mention about praying for God's work in our kids' lives -- how could I forget that -- crucial!

This has been a great thread. Very inspiring. Great to stop and re-focus on this in the middle of all that's going on.

God is so gracious to give us these times of refreshment. I feel energized to keep up the battle.