Menu

Happy Mail Day --- College Acceptance Letter

My son received his first college acceptance letter today ----- Colorado School of Mines! Ahhhh, so he can get in. :party:

Thanks to everyone here for all the help you have given me over the past year or two or three or four........ and particularly to Kareni who really lent me a hand getting all the paperwork together. Thank you.

We're waiting for his SAT scores to arrive on the 29th before filing his other applications.

Carole

LOL, yes.

When DH came in the house DS shared the good news and I heard him add---"I guess I can get into college without a high school degree." Now, we all know that he really will have a high school degree, but it is a mommy-issued one. However, he doesn't know any local homeschoolers who didn't graduate through the local satellite hs group and went on to something other than the cc.

Yes, breathing a bit easier here. I am holding my breath still---will there be any scholarships coming his way?

My son received his first college acceptance letter today ----- Colorado School of Mines! Ahhhh, so he can get in. :party:

Isn't it great when the Little Engine that Could goes from I think I can to I knew I could? !!!

I'm so happy for you.... let's hope for many more happy fat envelope returns!!!!

:grouphug: :w00t:

It is such a great feeling!!! Enjoy it and revel in it a bit, you definitely deserve it!

No, we're in Delaware. Not even a hop-skip-and-a-jump to Colorado for us. We've hiked in Colorado so DS' only experience there is camping in the state for a few weeks.

When the request from Mines came in the mail for DS to apply he got this dreamy look: ahhhh, what a perfect location. Mountains. Skiing. Hiking. And far from home. :rofl:

Last night he asked me to promise that if he attends our local university (U of DE ranks 10th in the country in his desired major---so WHY should he head elsewhere?????) that I treat him as if he was out in CO, except, no teary-eyes when he gets dropped off. :laugh: I've promised to not visit him except when he requests but I won't promise not to get teary-eyed.

Well done! That's a pretty selective school! Congrats to you and your son.

It is amazing how early you have to start applying, it seems crazy that an acceptance letter would come in October, almost a year early. Is that typical?

Colorado School of mines is on our top ten list, and i have a sophomore, i better get busier!!

DS applied to Mines because they contacted him, saying they would waive the application fee ifffff he applied online and prior to 'some date.'

We said ---- everything is ready, why not apply?

Back-tracking, I spent this past summer preparing my documents. The school profile, transcript, course description and counselor letter. This is something I would recommend that you do too ---- I don't see HOW I could have prepared this earlier than this past summer. I did keep track of his activities and awards during his high school years, and it was easy to locate the books used for his various courses but otherwise I didn't prepare early. YMMV!

Carole

Last night he asked me to promise that if he attends our local university (U of DE ranks 10th in the country in his desired major---so WHY should he head elsewhere?????) that I treat him as if he was out in CO, except, no teary-eyes when he gets dropped off. :laugh: I've promised to not visit him except when he requests but I won't promise not to get teary-eyed.

Carole,

I attended the university in the hometown in which I was born and raised. My father was at the teaching hospital on campus and my grandfather a professor in the engineering school. I lived in dorms, became very active in campus student groups and had a full *college* experience. My mom complains that I rarely called home!

The pluses:

*My dad let me use his car one day a week if I promised to park it back in his space by a certain hour. I was only late once. :tongue_smilie:

*We had some professors that I had known outside of college that I could go to if I needed it.

*I loved watching my grandfather drive past my dorm as I got ready in the mornings. Those memories still linger with me!

*When I got really sick and needed surgery spring break freshman year, my friends just brought me home.

Just wanted to assure you (and your son) that he can have an excellent and authentic college experience even at a hometown university.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa. That's exactly the sort of thing I have been telling DS. Perhaps it will help him to see it from someone else. My undergrad college was a short 20 min drive from home and I could take a city bus to the grocery store my mom shopped at on Friday afternoons. On rare occassions I jumped on the bus and met my mom as she finished her grocery shopping but for the most part I never went home and my folks never stopped by to see me.

Carole

Carole,

I attended the university in the hometown in which I was born and raised. My father was at the teaching hospital on campus and my grandfather a professor in the engineering school. I lived in dorms, became very active in campus student groups and had a full *college* experience. My mom complains that I rarely called home!

Just wanted to assure you (and your son) that he can have an excellent and authentic college experience even at a hometown university.

Lisa

I guess people have different ideas of authentic college experiences :). When I got my B.G.S. I lived off campus so I could study and sleep, but couldn't live at home because there was no university there (now there's an extension). I went home about every other weekend. I always thought it pretty authentic ;). I did my second Bachelor degree living in a dorm, didn't get to sleep as much, and had a great time, too, but it was very different from the first.

To me the priority is the learning, not the housing, and I think there are pros and cons to living on campus. In our case, our dc will have to get sholarships or pay their own way, so we're encouraging them to live at home if they don't get a full ride. There are a number of good 2 year colleges, 4 year colleges (both state and private) within driving distance of where we live, even though we're not in a big city, that they'll still have choices. They could even commute and go out of state, which is one of the interesting things about living somewhere like New England.