Menu

Do you homeschool or....

Are you a homeschooler? I have a very good friend that recently put her boys in school and has been going through an identity issue because she is no longer a homeschooler. Her oldest son was worried that his homeschool friends would be friends anymore because he wasn't a homeschooler - we told him, "but you're still Andrew."

I went through something similar when I put my ds back in public school for a year. It was hard for me to accept the role of homeschooler, and then hard again to drop it. I had a different pov when I started homeschooling again.

What are you thoughts? How much of your identity is associated with homeschooling?

Right now, at this stage of our lives, we are a family of homeschoolers - thus, we homeschool. Whenever we enter a new stage of life where we no longer identify as homeschoolers (either one of us, or all of us), we will stop homeschooling and act according to who we are. I feel that much of the passion and commitment to homeschool comes out of our identity as homeschoolers. That's how it works for us, anyway. :001_smile:

We (me w/hubby's help financially, so I count him in!) homeschool. My dd is the homeschooler.

I kinda think of it in layers--I am a Christian, a Christian mom, a Christian mom who homeschools, a Christian mom who homeschools eclectically/classically. You can take the longest of those descriptions and chop off the last word and not hit anything that would be absolutely crucial to me until you got to the mom part--and even there, I'm learning to let go.

When I didn't homeschool dd last year, I did "feel a pinch in my identity," so I guess it does mean something to me! But luckily, who I am is not defined by what I do; it's more the other way around.

put her boys in school and has been going through an identity issue because she is no longer a homeschooler

I suspect this would be me. There's only one reason my kids would end up in elementary school: if we desperately needed the free daycare to get through financial stuff. School would indicate an emergency. I do not like, understand, or accept institutional schooling as part of healthy child life. I believe children belong in families and in society. This idea grows from my belief system, and my belief system is the major part of my identity. When I'm not living in accordance with my beliefs and values, I feel pretty miserable.

But I don't think my identity is tied in with the word homeschooler. I tend to use the words autodidact or continuum concepter or tribalist.

We're homeschoolers even though I have one in part time preschool, one in college, and two in a charter school. I still have two school aged children at home full time and my preschooler joins in in the afternoon. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself if I put them all in school. Definite identity crisis.

Barb

I'm just starting on this journey in many ways. Diva has been home almost 3 yrs, but she came home 'pre-taught'...already reading, basic math skills, etc. Tazzie and Princess will tell the truth about my abilities and beliefs.

We're a homeschool family. Its a faith, academic, socialization decision. To do otherwise would be to deny our calling as parents.

*And I mean the calling Wolf and I feel, not that everyone has the same just because they're parents*

Homeschool has really come to define us around here. Strange as it is, I find myself telling most everyone for one reason or another (i.e. dr. says, "do you need that appt after 3 so he doesn't miss school" and I reply, "no, we homeschool.").

I've been doing the same thing, and as soon as I say it I think... was that necessary? I think I am moving more towards having it a part of who I am.

We (me w/hubby's help financially, so I count him in!) homeschool. My dd is the homeschooler.

I kinda think of it in layers--I am a Christian, a Christian mom, a Christian mom who homeschools, a Christian mom who homeschools eclectically/classically. You can take the longest of those descriptions and chop off the last word and not hit anything that would be absolutely crucial to me until you got to the mom part--and even there, I'm learning to let go.

When I didn't homeschool dd last year, I did "feel a pinch in my identity," so I guess it does mean something to me! But luckily, who I am is not defined by what I do; it's more the other way around.

Well put :)

You know, I think I will always self-identify as a homeschooler. I just don't fit in with most school people. I don't get them and they don't get me. Even before we embarked on this journey, I didn't fit in with most parents. I was always in the fringe - extended breastfeeding, gentle discipline, nighttime parenting, healthy whole foods leaning diet, etc. I would cringe when their idea of a perfect get-together was an afternoon at Chuckie Cheese. They saw "fun" and I saw crying whiny kids with a migraine for dessert.

So, when my homeschooling journey is done, I will probably still be hanging out with other homeschooling alums - my tribe.

Home education doesn't define me, however education is part of who I am. I was very into education before I was a home educator, and most likely always will be. I did not feel I lost my identity when my son was in school, nor did any of his friends become "not friends" with him.

When our son was in ps our lifestyle was still similar to when he was home educated (he is again).

Homeschool has really come to define us around here. Strange as it is, I find myself telling most everyone for one reason or another (i.e. dr. says, "do you need that appt after 3 so he doesn't miss school" and I reply, "no, we homeschool.").

Me, too.

We don't even have any friends that don't homeschool. Not on purpose, that's just what has become. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I wasn't homeschooling or with my kids every day.

I kinda wondered how people would know I was pro- bfing and baby -wearing once my kids grew older. For over a decade I wore a baby as part of my wardrobe, and I felt quite naked without one for a bit. ;)

Of course, now I support bfing mothers. When I no longer have hsers, I will support hsers.

Time marches on & all.

We homeschool. I now have one in college and two I am still homeschooling. It is the main way we make connections in a new community and we do move all the time, hence my screenname. What about in 6 years when I am done? Well I will be done being a fulltime parent too so it will be a big change. I have already prepared for that by deciding several things I would like to do if my health is good enough. I had taken to Titus women when I was younger and I did watch the older women. Now that I am becoming an older women (not quite there yet since I still have a bit over 5.5 years being a fulltime parent), I intend to follow many of their examples.

For me, I'd have to say it is something I do and something I am. I don't think too deeply about it, but I do see myself as a homeschooler, a homemaker, a wife, a mom, a Christian, a scrapbooker, etc. Yes, they are things I do, but I do think they are a huge part of who I am as well.

I am a homeschooler, and I will always homeschool unless something horrible happens;even then, I would still be as big a part of their education as I could, so I suppose I would still be "homeschooling" as much as I could.

I guess I am a homeschooler - because it is really a lifestyle for us. I think that became more so for me when we stopped following the public school schedule and started to school year - round. I don't know how to explain it - our whole family revolves around learning in some way or another. It is dramatically different from all of my friends who school publicly or privately - mainly because of the loss of control and influence when you send them somewhere else.