Menu

We've got a skunk. Advice?

We live where we can't shoot it, so what should we do to get rid of this critter?

It probably is attracted to our yard because of the grubs (I know, we have a problem).

I've read that it's illegal to use mothballs, and that children who eat them go into seizures. I'm not sure I want to use mothballs because of these reasons.

Fox urine? Where do I get some of THAT? ;)

Country folks, what do you do to get rid of a skunk (besides shoot it, which we can't do because of our zoning)? Thanks!

Our DNR says to trap in a live trap and then drown them in your recycling container. That said, my mom has trapped over 10 raccoons and shot them because the live trap was too big for the recycling container.

Beware of Rabies, skunks can have it.

Thanks, Sophie! :001_huh: Wow, I might have to think about this method. I never thought of doing it this way, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for it. I know my dh doesn't, even though he works in the OR/surgery every day. That man could talk to his pregnant wife about that day's bowel disimpaction while eating tuna noodle casserole! (Ask me how I know).:tongue_smilie:

We'll have to think a bit about the skunk drowning.

Wow.

Before you get violent, please try this:

1. Send a man out to urinate on all the things/areas you want the critter to leave alone. If that is a modesty issue, have him pee into a container and sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle. You can also strew ammonia soaked rags in the area you want the skunk to stop digging, if it's disturbing flower beds. If the sight bothers you, tuck the rags under the mulch. This will not do any harm.

2. Consider installing cheap security lights on the outside of your home. This is often enough.

3. If you insist on killing the animal, just shoot it. Police rarely respond to a single shot. As long as you kill it in one shot, your neighbors will not notice. Unless you are a seriously disordered sadist, you will find drowning the little brute very, very unpleasant.

4. Consider a live and let live policy. Unless you have a dog that stays out all night, you really don't have a problem. Skunks are real sweeties, as long as you don't get ridiculously aggressive with them. Don't leave pet food out, and don't give it access to garbage.

Wow. I didn't know mothballs were out these days!

I grew up camping with TONS of skunks. People used mothballs to keep them from living under trailers but, other than that, we just learned to live with them.

Once in a while, someone's dog would get sprayed. Usually, we just coexisted. My grandmother was actually stuck at a picnic table for a few minutes when one skunk came out, everyone else walked away, and the skunk decided to weave itself around Grandma's legs like a cat.

I would never *encourage* skunks to come around, lol, but I'm not sure I'd want one dead unless it showed signs of illness.

If necessary to trap, my neighbor, wonderful older rancher, tsuggests, put a tarp over it & run the exhaust from the car under the tarp.

If you get get motion detectors hooked up to your sprinklers, that can deter lots of critters.

We had a skunk get trapped in the crawl space under our house last year (fell through a hole behind the furnace & couldn't climb back out). Sprayed repeatedly...what a mess!

Where we live in the country, we leave the skunks alone & worry about the raccoons...the raccoons can be nasty to pets!

Where we live, you call the county guy who is responsible for coming out... he "put's it to sleep" with whatever they do pets with...ugh. (I've not done this, so don't attack me:-)

You can take the cage out of city limits (here) and shoot it while it's in the cage...

Remember, don't let it out... in the wild... it can let different diseases out... for the country animals...(Not good)

Carrie:-)

Thanks for all the skunky advice! :001_smile:

Ordinarily, I'm a live and let live type, except that it has had my husband stuck on the deck several mornings in a row. He is convinced that he's going to get sprayed one of these mornings on his way out the door to work. Of course, he could go out the front door. But really, this skunk is too close for comfort (ours, that is).

We were out in the yard yesterday and I came upon some lovely skunk-scented scat -- a pile of skunk poop, truly stinky stuff. Just imagine if the kids had found it first. :tongue_smilie: Well, that and the fact that the skunk is digging nice little round holes ALL OVER THE YARD. Yes, we have grubs.

I suppose you could see it from the perspective that the skunk is helping us with our grub problem! :D :lol:

Bear in mind that an animal you find to be intolerable may be found charming by others. If you succeed in driving it off, it will find other yards to forage in. One of the other homeowners will be charmed, or at least philosophical about it.

We once had yellow-crowned night herons nesting in our yard. They're endangered in some of the neighboring states, so we decided to leave them be. It turned out that they were really disgusting tenants once their hatchlings arrived. They brought home about a quarter bushel of seafood a day, and much of it was dumped on our driveway beneath the nest. Then there was the poop! Hubby took to walking out the door in the AM with an umbrella, and returning the same way. The herons were messy beyond words, and doubtless unsanitary. We lived with them for several long, messy months, because the hatchlings spent their adolescence perching in our trees, strolling on our roof and even standing in our bird bath. The "short-bus" hatchling stayed so long we thought he would never leave. He was prone to "fishing" in our bird bath, which was only about 18 inches wide. Thankfully, he finally acquired some adequate survival skills and moved on.

The only person to object was a hopeless priss who lived two blocks away. She threw a hissy fit, as if were responsible for the mess and odor of these wild creatures. "God bless her lil' heart."

If you drive off your skunk, somebody else will put up with the critter. There's no need to feel obligated to do it in, as long as it isn't diseased. I've put down plenty of diseased and/or injured animals, but never seen the need to do this to a healthy wild animal.

If you drive off your skunk, somebody else will put up with the critter. There's no need to feel obligated to do it in, as long as it isn't diseased. I've put down plenty of diseased and/or injured animals, but never seen the need to do this to a healthy wild animal.

Yes, and it needn't even come to that, in fact. We live near some woods, so if we drive the skunk away from our property, it will probably just go into the woods -- I'm assuming that's where it came from. I doubt we would kill it, unless it appeared to be rabid.

I agree-- live and let live. It does bear noting, however, that where there is one skunk, there are others. When your guest moves on, another one will take his place if the eatin' is good. If you really want to solve your skunk problem, get rid of the grubs.

Astrid (who, through careful avoidance and precautionary measures, peacefully co-exists with the skunks who roam our suburban neighborhood, and resigns herself to occasionally de-skunking the dogs with the foolproof mixture of peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish detergent.)

Ours have made nice little beds all over our prop. She/ Suzie pushes down the flowers and makes nice lil beds for the evening.

I was worried at first w/the rabies, but than I researched and found they are omnivores, so will eat critters I do not want. If that is what she is doing, have at it.

I can put up w/a little stink to get rid of worse issues. Carnivores/Omni are always welcome at my house.

We trap and shoot... but we live in a rural area where that is not illegal AND we're protecting our poultry. If it was the suburbs, I'm not sure what I'd do. I *would* be nervous about rabies if I saw it during the day. Aren't skunks nocturnal?

However, if you DO consider trapping and then moving to another location, please don't put the trap in your car to move the animal. (Imagine if it sprays!)

Hi, Astrid. Just in case we get skunked, do you have a recipe? :D

Sure do! And let me preface this by saying that this is, without a doubt, a liquid miracle! Seriously---- it neutralizes the odor almost immediately, and on the few occasions my dogs have gotten sprayed, it's been a direct hit. As in, their foreheads are WET and GLISTENING with the spray! No lie---- it's BAAAD, and they are big, hairy, double-coated breeds. This does the trick, though. We keep big bottles of peroxide on hand in the linen closet for just such an emergency. You can also soak collars, clothes, shoes, anything else that gets hit in this solution.

DE-SKUNKING HOME REMEDY:

One-fourth cup baking soda

One teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent

One quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

Mix all ingredients GENTLY in a bucket. This doesn't keep, so you can't mix it up and store it. You must mix it up immediately before you are going to use it.

Wet the dog down, apply the mixture and work it into the coat. I put the dog in the bathtub and stop up the drain so I don't lose any of the solution until I"m ready to rinse the dog. I use a sponge to really soak the dog down to the skin. Leave solution on for three minutes or so, and then rinse the dog thoroughly with tap water. I've never had a dog skunked so bad that this didn't do the trick almost immediately!

Now, here's hoping you don't have to use it! :001_smile:

Astrid

Call animal control.

About five years ago we had a skunk visit our crawl space and spray. Animal control brought out live traps. I have no idea what else they did, because I left! Anyway, we didn't catch Mr. Skunk, but he didn't come back and spray again either.

Yuck.

Mandy

Sure do! And let me preface this by saying that this is, without a doubt, a liquid miracle!

DE-SKUNKING HOME REMEDY:

Mix all ingredients GENTLY in a bucket. This doesn't keep, so you can't mix it up and store it. You must mix it up immediately before you are going to use it.

Now, here's hoping you don't have to use it! :001_smile:

Astrid

Thanks, Astrid! You are the best! :D

Actually, we were after a mama possum. (We had found her babies in our garage. We found someone who would raise them, then release them.) First night, we caught a skunk. They took it away, then set another trap. Second night, we caught the possum. Again, they took it away and set another trap. Third night, another skunk. The company we hired took them out to the wild and released them there. They did not kill them. I think it was about $30 for each trap set. After 3 nights, we decided it was too expensive and quit.

We had no idea we had so many wild animals roaming our suburban neighborhood at night.

Sure do! And let me preface this by saying that this is, without a doubt, a liquid miracle! Seriously---- it neutralizes the odor almost immediately, and on the few occasions my dogs have gotten sprayed, it's been a direct hit. As in, their foreheads are WET and GLISTENING with the spray! No lie---- it's BAAAD, and they are big, hairy, double-coated breeds. This does the trick, though. We keep big bottles of peroxide on hand in the linen closet for just such an emergency. You can also soak collars, clothes, shoes, anything else that gets hit in this solution.

DE-SKUNKING HOME REMEDY:

Wet the dog down, apply the mixture and work it into the coat. I put the dog in the bathtub and stop up the drain so I don't lose any of the solution until I"m ready to rinse the dog. I use a sponge to really soak the dog down to the skin. Leave solution on for three minutes or so, and then rinse the dog thoroughly with tap water. I've never had a dog skunked so bad that this didn't do the trick almost immediately!

We used to have an Irish Setter than was a natural born stunk-killer.

He got sprayed often, and it was my job to clean him up. I remember tomato juice and soap baths doing very little good. I wish I had this recipe back then.

Does the peroxide "bleach" the dogs fur?

Bill