Menu

Northerners: What kind of coat does your kid wear?

I buy our coats from either Lands End or L. L. Bean.

I buy a size larger than my kids need, so they will last more than one year.

Both stores have warmth ratings -- I get the coats with the highest warmth rating. Typically, these coats can be worn in a variety of ways, depending on the weather, because they have removable, wearable liners.

I buy parkas because they extend below the waist and keep more of the body warm.

I also look for a waterproof outer shell.

I particularly like the Lands End Squall Parkas:

Example because there are several types of these: http://www.landsend.com/pp/4in1SquallParka~176250_7.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::OOK&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000338&origin=index

LL Bean has customer ratings for its products, so I always read those before I purchase anything from them.

Edited by RoughCollie

We buy kid coats at Target. My only requirement is that they have a removable inner lining, attached hood, and high collar. I don't like scarves on kids, so the collar is important.

My kids don't spend enormous amounts of time outside in the winter. When they do go out to play in the cold, it's usually for 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there. Otherwise, coats are mostly for the walk to and from the car.

The only coat my kids haven't complained of being cold in is the Land's End squall coat. They love theirs and actually play outside in the snow in them. Any other type of coat, from Meijer or Target or K-Mart or even Burlington Coat Factory, doesn't keep them warm and falls apart by the end of the season.

I get my kids' Land's End coats on E-bay and usually save 40-50%.

Tara

Land's End or LL Bean Fleece for 40-65 F. Land's end hooded squall for winter coat which is generally 20 - 40 F. Fleece plus squall for under 20 F.

Dress in non-cotton layers if they'll be outdoors all day. Apply waterproofing to squall if it's more than a year old and snow/icy rain/slush is involved.

Edited by lgm

We had the Lands'End squall parka when we were in Michigan and New Jersey, but up here we went with the warmest LLBean down Goretex parka (I think it was the Baxter State parka?) Every spring they go on serious sales at the outlet centers (around $50 for a $300 coat - dc are in adult sizes now)

Yes, it's overkill in Oct and April but Nov - Mar it's great.

(It is pretty much a Sta-Puf marshmallow coat! :D)

We usually buy Columbia parkas, but have also bought really nice coats at Burlington Coat Factory. As long as it's thick and somewhat puffy, it should be fine. I always try to find one that comes down to mid-thigh b/c it's warmer than a waist coat. I also try to find one that has a hood with a velcro closure accross the neck. Anything with fleece on the inside is also a big plus for me, and if it zips out, all the better. hth!

Warm. Affordable. Layers.

Those are my winter requirements. :)

For their "everyday" coats we honestly pretty much buy what we find on sale or at a garage sale. My thinking is that it essentially keeps them warm while we go from house to car and from car to house or wherever we're at.

Now. For chores and working outside, they all have Carharts. And that's what they wear outside to play as well. Not exactly fashionable, but very functional and warm.

A lot of it depends on how much time your kids *actually* spend outside, their activities, etc. Living in cold weather doesn't necessarily mean best of the best, but if they spend several hours outside in zero (or below) weather, then it's important to layer. Anything with a windblock material and a fleece liner should work well.

Layers, layers, layers, layers. KWIM?

Land's End, LL Bean, Columbia..... there are several good brands.

That's what we BUY our kids. Apparently you don't know that it's "cool" to go to be outside with NO coat, perhaps even a t-shirt and flip flops, during the middle of winter. :glare:

oh yes, and layer, layer, layer. VERY important. I *LOVE* to be outside in the winter but keep myself layered. One chill getting up the back, or WET FEET, will chill me to the bone for HOURS! Now that I know how to dress, I really LOVE winter and it has become my favorite season!

Edited by Denisemomof4

Land's End, LL Bean, Columbia..... there are several good brands.Apparently you don't know that it's "cool" to go to be outside with NO coat, perhaps even a t-shirt and flip flops, during the middle of winter. :glare:

You must know my 15 year old. She has a nice warm Land's End coat but she wears a light spring jacket all winter. The school finally told her she had to quit wearing flip-flops to school when there's snow.

Tara

Columbia has been our brand of choice for about 15 years. ( We lived in Minnesota for years and now are in Michigan..we know winter.)

All 4 of kids and hubby have owned many. They wear like iron! Honestly! They are expensive, but I look for sales ( Kohl's). I have always been able to pass them on down to the next kid so often that my youngest was pleased when his older brother stopped growing and he could actually get his own "new" Columbia! I have also sold them on Ebay.....really good investements.

Hanna Andersson parkas -- I think they might still be on pre-season sale. We layered heavily while in Minot, ND and DD was only 2 and never complained of being cold. I had a women's HA parka, too, and I loved it over sweaters. Surprisingly warm. However, when we needed the big guns (-40 before windchill) it was DEFINITELY Columbia over multiple layers.