Menu

How long do your 5th/6th graders take to do their math each day?

Chloe

Does forever count? :glare: My ds is 6th and doing pre-algebra. Depending on the lesson 30-60 minutes. Without procrastination 45 mins should be max in our curriculum.

We are using an older Dolciani textbook, we discuss a lesson, complete some oral problems and then he has 12-20 written problems.

I'm currently setting the timer for 30 min. for B & T when they're working on TT. Then we usually do a 5 min. drill and some mental math (from the Saxon 5/4 book I already have)--maybe another 5 min. or less. I plan on upping my 5th grader's TT time to 40-50 minutes by the end of the year. We'll probably add 5 min. to the timer every 9 weeks or so until then.

It's actually been pretty zippy. My kids have gotten a lot faster as they've gotten older (even though I'm not sure they really have all their facts as instant recall).

But I'm only counting the Singapore workbook portion. I also give a lesson (variable amount of time, but it's quick lately because they get it). I'm going to have them do CWP as well, but they've only done a few pages so far (but they like it). I also have them do a day's worth of "Use it Don't Lose it" daily math practice, and they have weekly worksheets from Math Detective, on Decimals or Fractions (these can take them quite a while, but there's only one a week), and/or Code Breakers, and I'd like to do Hands-on-Equations one day a week.

But the actual Singapore workbook portion isn't taking them much time at all. I slotted aside 45 minutes for math, and even with the lesson it's way less than than. (They're in 6a - I keep hearing how hard 6a/b is - have we just not hit the hard part?? We're in ratios. Warn me please if we're in for a big upset somewhere). They're also just about to start the first "Challenging" section in CWP, which I'm guessing will slow them down.

We slooogged through 2a/b way back when, so it's been a pleasant surprise that it seems to be getting smoother rather than rockier (knock wood!!!)

My dd is towards then end of 5th grade and usually has 3 pages to do in her Horizons math each day. She takes about 30 minutes or so. That has not always been the case and I figure she must be taking up the slack for 2nd grade ds. Sometimes he takes hours! I guess it's been in the last year or two that she has gotten more speedy with her work.

Only 4th grade, but he is well advanced for his years and more on the 6th-8th grade level... very "mathy" kid: we have 75 minutes scheduled, and he typically uses all of his 75 minutes and asks to do more during his free time for fun. I was tempted to do a 90 min block for Math, but I didn't want to "overdo" it (whatever that means). He typically does a lesson a day, with some extra "fun" problems (computer program or worksheets) if time allows. We are on a 4-day/week schedule.

In 5th grade, my dd did math for 20 minutes/day using a timer. When the timer beeped, she was done, no matter whether she had done 1/2 exercise or 2.3 exercises or whatever. She also did Daily Math Practice each day, which usually took about 5 minutes.

In 6th grade, my dd is doing math for 25 minutes/day using a timer. She also does Daily Math Practice, about 5 minutes.

She is able to finish an A level and a B level in Singapore doing math for this amount of time. Having her work longer means that she actually gets less done and dissolves into tears.

I feel better now. I had 75 minutes set aside for math, but wondered if it should be more than that. I do think my dc spend a lot of time dilly-dallying though. Maybe if I set a timer for 45 minutes they'll work on task better.

We get the dilly-dallies here too. I set the timer for 45 minutes. That's more than plenty of time to do everything. If it takes longer, I stop the lesson at 45 minutes and anything that remains unfinished turns into homework which severely cuts into ds's Runescape time. Works like a charm.

I have to insist on this, otherwise I'd spend 10 hours a day chasing him around trying to get things done. I have committed five hours a day for teaching and that's as long as I'll make myself available. (This doesn't include the several hours per week I spend on lesson planning.) After five hours, it's all homework and ds is on his own. It's only ever come to that once or twice early on.