Menu

How many books per family can you check out at your library?

We each have our own card (myself and 3 kids), and are allowed to have 25 items out on each card. However, they raise the limit to 50 for teachers and extend that to homeschoolers, so I can get 50 on mine.

... and we usually have all the cards full, making 3 or 4 trips to the library each week. :D

50 items per card, and they are very generous about overriding that. There is a limit of 5 dvds/cds/videos per card (but that is 5 of each, so you can have a lot of multimedia materials out at once!). I check out a lot of kits, which usually contain several books and dvds but only count as one item. It is not unusual for us to have a couple of our cards maxed out at once, and then we also use e-books and e-audio downloads that are over and above the 50 physical items.

40 per card, so for my family 200 items. Little wonder my library fines have gotten so high in the past, forget books for 1 week and you end up with $100 in fines lol. We have been only using 2 cards for the last few months and 1 is always maxed with the second pretty close. Right now we have 73 books, cd's, dvd's etc checked out.

VA, AL, OH and AR, the cities I was in: unlimited, I think (at least 50!) but limits on DVDs

Los Angeles: 30 per card, limits on DVDs. I had to get my daughter a card, I may have to get my son a card, I wish they would just up the limit per family and let me see the info all at once, it's hard to keep up with more than one card.

My favorite library system was Albuquerque, NM, no fines!!!!! (And, no limits in books, or 50+, I was doing some serious phonics research at the time, I had no children and had just started tutoring and was checking out so many books I could hardly carry them all.)

Worst library: VA--they kept not checking in my books and shelving them, more than any other library I've lived near.

Most unique library: Renton, WA. It's built over a river!

We can only have 10 items per card, so I got the baby a card also :lol: (children's cards are free). They were not amused, but could not refuse.

I am SO envious off you who can get large amounts of books.

Our library encourages families to get their babies a card. They have posters up everywhere and give the family a board book to start the baby's home library with.

We can only check out 25. I thought that was a bit low, considering we read about 4-8 books per day. I guess we'll just go weekly and re-read some of them towards the end.

I would LOOOOOVE to be able to checkout that many.

We have a (very) small volunteer run library.

We can check out 1 book each.

We pay 1 dirham ( about 30 c) to borrow the book.

The library has 6 bookshelves, and is open 2 hrs a week.

We still visit each week- mainly to get out of the house, but we have to buy all of the books we actually need for schooling.

I would LOOOOOVE to be able to checkout that many.

We pay 1 dirham ( about 30 c) to borrow the book.

The library has 6 bookshelves, and is open 2 hrs a week.

We still visit each week- mainly to get out of the house, but we have to buy all of the books we actually need for schooling.

wow, I am so thankful for the library system we have when I read this. We go to teh library every Monday(this is when I find books related to our studies) and Friday(usually need new books for the weekend) and sometimes in between to drop off books we are done with and pick up our holds. I could not imagine only getting 1 each and having the library limited to 2 hours per week.

Of course I still buy 98% of my books for school even with a great library system. From the sounds of it my home library is bigger than your town library.

Ours is a family card. 20 per card, so we keep it close to maxed. We have 6 on hold, I think. We are going today to pick up 3 that have come in. They can also order books from the bigger library in town, but it takes a while to get them. I do have a card for that one now, but they have 4 locations, so you have to see which location has the book you need. They will borrow from the other locations, but I might as well have everything out from one library.

I am SO envious off you who can get large amounts of books.

I am too! We can get 5 books each for two weeks at a time, so 20 books per family. Our library has no audio or DVD. It serves a community of about 40 000 and it had an official budget of US$ 1500 for all new purchases last year. It supplemented this with donations. The staff is paid by the local municipality.

I was about to whine some more about how poor our library is until I read this. We're fortunate!! Although there is little money for new books there are many good ones from the 70's and 80's when it still had money for purchases. The classics are all there.