Menu

How long is your dh's commute to work?

Guest kacifl

roflol.... somewhat hysterically...

when dh is here, his commute is 1 hour each way. however, he also "commutes" to india for 10 days a month, and that commute is about 24 hours each way. and he "commutes" to washington for 3 days each month, and that commute is 8 hours or so....

and then there is the commute to japan, the commute to australia, the commute to.... well, you get the picture. some commutes are different than others...

but its a great question to ask when looking for a house. dh drew a 1 hour circle from work, and househunted within that. it was a good strategy. 1 hour in some directions was only a few miles, but in others it was 45 miles...

have fun!

ann

0-60 minutes on average. Dh is in sales. (In regular traffic) His office is about 30 minutes away but sometimes he works from home; his furthest store is 60 minutes. Bad, everyday traffic can double those numbers. Really bad traffic (bad accident on one or both of the main bridges crossing from Portland, Oregon to Washington) can triple them easily.

A 15-30 minute commute is common here, 30-60 minute commute in Portland is fairly typical (especially for families who live more in the suburbs), 75 minutes isn't unheard of. I live in much smaller Vancouver (just over the border) and it can take 45 minutes just to cross our city from one corner to the other, not including going into Portland.

Dh has an office at home, but when he needs to go to 'the office' it's nearly 2 hrs each way. That only happens once a week usually.

In our 'other' life, before we moved here, dh had a 10min or so commute to work. It was ideal. I've always hated the idea of wasting so much of one's time driving to and from work.

We also live in Fairfax County, VA and my dh works at the Pentagon. He found a great house with only a 25-40 minute commute and more normally it is the 25 minute. I am continually amazed about how even with the enormous amount of traffic here and most roads having construction, how well the traffic does move for all that.

We are in fairfax county, virginia as well. DH is downtown often, and commuting time depends on time of day, can he HOV it, is he taking the METRO, but mostly on time of day.

When he is not going downtown, again, depending on time of day, it will take him 15-60 minutes depending on whether he is coming or going, and if it is a Friday or not (typically a much lighter traffic day).

Without even thinking about it, most folks try to avoid routes/times of day that will have them sitting in bumper to bumper traffic....although there are locations around here where folks do it every single day.

I don't think I've helped much here.:001_huh:

It depends on where dh's current job location is. But it averages out to be about 2 hours each way. Dh thought he held the longest commute record until he met a guy who commutes from Alexandria, VA TO Richmond, VA every day. That's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour commute each way depending on speed. :D