Menu

How many hours per day...

1GirlTwinBoys

homeschooling? Someone posted a while back approximately how much time should be spent doing homeschooling at each grade level. I know this varies for each family. A friend of mine that is wanting to homeschool her children is interested in this. I was trying to explain that it doesn't have to be as long as a PS day because of the wasted time etc...

Anyone have info on this? :)

I have heard some say an hour per grade, so 1st grade 1 hr, 2nd grade 2... etc.

I have 2 kids, one K and one 2nd doing some 3rd work. We on average spend closer to 4 hours. Although that is MY day w/the 2 of them. The ker finishes way before that and I include her educational play that I direct while I am working w/my 2nd grader in that time. I am not counting bedtime reading and outside classes in this time or my 2nd grader's silent reading on her own or our outside play time. If I lived in a state where I logged hours, I bet I would count all of it and we would be about 6 hrs. per day.

I've heard "Grade level plus one hour" as a guideline. I think, however, that it's just so individual, it is hard to really say more than that.

Also, some people seem to count different things as school. We read aloud every day--if I counted our books that happen to be historical fiction, you could say we do 3 hours of history a day--but I don't see it that way. We read aloud everyday, regardless of it being a school day or not. Same with some other stuff. Some count all the things I see as a natural part of our lives as school, whereas I think of school as those subject-oriented things I plan intentionally to reach a goal.

I try for 1/2 to an hour per grade level, up to a total of 5 or 6 hours.

So for a 1st grader I wouldn't want to go over 1 hour, my 3rd grader next year has about 3 hrs planned and my 9th grader has about 6 hrs. planned.

We do extra read aloud and maybe sci/hist projects, but this is for seat work.

I think the average for non-unschoolers with kids above third grade is probably four hours a day. I hear so many references in homeschooling magazines to being done before noon.

Here's what we've done. This doesn't include family read-alouds (but does include academic read-alouds) or informal, delight-based learning.

K4: 15 minutes a day (on phonics)

K5: an hour

1st-2nd: two hours

3rd-5th: three hours

6th-7th: four hours

We haven't gotten past seventh grade yet. I'm hoping to keep it down to twenty hours a week in eighth to twelfth grades, but I don't believe many do, so it may be a futile hope.

In hindsite, I think I'd put it a bit different way: grade +1 MAX for the lower grades. That lets you get in the basics and still have plenty of time for them to run, play, and be kids. In the upper grades (say 4th grade up), you start to have too much variation like siblings, dawdling, etc. to really worry about time and how it compares to a prescribed amount. At that point you have a list of what they need to do and you're making them do it and looking at time is just a way of making sure you can physically get done, with your circumstances and expectations, what you're trying to do. I'd say around then also the time starts to more closely match their grade, and some of what you're counting in that time is required, more extensive reading, unlike the younger reading that you just let them do and didn't quantify or push.

Edited by OhElizabeth

In K-2nd grade, I tried to keep lessons very short as in under 20 min. Then in 3rd-5th I tried keeping lessons between 20 and 30 minutes. By 6th grade, my boys could handle 30-45 minutes per lesson for *most* subjects.

This year my older son is beginning highschool. Last year he began working 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a time on math. I feel confident that he will be able to handle an hour per subject this year for *most* of his subjects. I will make sure that he spends no more than 6 hours on formal schooling.

The whole 1-2 hour thing was lost for us after 1st grade.

It depends on what topics are covered. In K we did reading, phonics, math and read alouds with related crafts, all total about 2 hours split in our day.

Currently, our school starts at 7 and will end anywhere from 3-5, depending on the grade levels. This includes all meals and PE. The 1st and 2nd graders have about 2 hours in that day(7-3) that are really free time slots.

A personal soapbox...people paint the picture that home schooling takes so little time, waaay less than public school...um not when they're older and you school classically. We actually put in More Time than their ps friends...of course, we're getting a waaaay better education too! PS doesn't get PE, Art, Latin, Spanish, Logic, and Music, nor do they get lab sciences and history of the world. They may pick and choose 1/semester (that's how it is here), but we get them all, every year b/c we think they're worth the time.

Thanks for the soapbox!

There is no "should," other than you should stop before y'all are sick to death of what you're doing. :-) And you shouldn't have to be at the books for longer than, oh, 4 hours for dc younger than 10 (IMHO).

There really isn't any information on this, either, as it is completely each person's humble opinion. :-)

I would love to be done by noon but I seriously cannot believe that people who do that are doing a full day's work. I would love for someone to show me how this works. Now, if you say that we school till noon and that's just instruction and the rest of the day is spent in homework and studying, I can understand that. My girl starts 5th tomorrow and I'm wearing myself out trying to figure out how to fit it all in (and figure it out by tomorrow morning!)

I don't think we have an excessively heavy load or anything and I am trying to give a big lunch time break and daily mass on Tuesday and Thursday mornings but still, I think what we've chosen as curric is very reasonable and I just can't figure how to fit it all in.

I'm beside myself!

I'm trying to allow an hour/subject to give plenty of time for transition, instruction if applicable, work, study and maybe it'll turn out that a full hour isn't necessary but I don't see an hour excessive. Except, of course, that there aren't enough hours in the day to do this!

AND . . . I'm not a new homeschooler! You'd think I could do this. I don't remember having this problem before.

AAAAauuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

It really varies so greatly. First, there is a huge difference in what people count. If you only count the time you are sitting at the table with the phonics book, math page, and handwriting, then you probably aren't spending even an hour per day. But seriously, even though our style was extremely laid back, I could have logged 4-8 hours per day with my kids when they were little. We had an environment conducive to learning and they regularly did projects, looked information up, practiced skills, were read to, etc.

And I easily was able to fill up 6 hours for the 1st graders in my school, but of course, it's not all sit down at the table (well, and includes breaks too).

I'm pretty sure that hour per day homeschoolers aren't doing an hour and that is it. They probably have an educationally rich environment where learning is done more hours of the day, just not schoolishly. Those that can't point to any more than a bedtime story and JumpStart 1st Grade computer program outside of that hour probably need to look more carefully at what they are providing their children, IMO.

But, anyone classically homeschooling is doing more than an average of 5 hours per week anyway.

This is a great post to read through. I've been trying to mentor several new hsing mom's over the summer who have approached me about how to hs. It's so hard to say I spend x amt of time hsing --because for us hsing is a lifestyle. I might only spend 1 hr w/ my 6 yo actually sitting at his desk ---but then we have the read aloud at lunch-time, the read alouds at bed-time, the time we spend out on the swingset that leads to discussion about different types of clouds, birds, trees - looking for nature treasures to make a collection - which leads to the desire to try an experiment planting something - which leads to the desire to paint a picture - which then requires looking up pictures on the internet - etc.

With my older ones (5th & 8th) I might spend 2-3 hours being avail to them in the classroom --but they are working on projects on their own through out the day/week --some I've assigned and some that they design on their own. Then there are the read alouds I do with them at lunch and night-time, etc.

I think it also depends on type of curriculum that you do and if you add in extras. When I started and did Abeka - supplementing with art projects, music and lots of library books --and only had 1 to hs we were finished in under 2 hours every day. In fact, we finished K and 1st grade materials in a year.

last year for prek/K, we did about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs a day 4 days a week. During this time we did our arts and crafts, math, reading, all of it. Now we took our time and did not rush anything.

This year for our k/1st I am planning on 3 1/2 to 4 hours. My little one loves to draw, writing and be very creative. So, I don't see us being one of the 1 hour per grade level types.

Which the hour per grade level seems strange, I mean what a 9th grader is going to work 9 hours a day??? No way. JMO

homeschooling? Someone posted a while back approximately how much time should be spent doing homeschooling at each grade level. I know this varies for each family. A friend of mine that is wanting to homeschool her children is interested in this. I was trying to explain that it doesn't have to be as long as a PS day because of the wasted time etc...

Anyone have info on this? :)

We follow the approx 1 hr per grade level approach. I am a minimalist in primary grades (phonics, handwriting/copywork, math, reading, nature studies in k-1 and add basic grammar/mechanics via copywork in 2nd as well as basic geography.) My current 2nd grader is finishing in about an hour and 45 mins.

Middle school is approx 6-8 hrs and high school is approx 7-9 hrs.

Now that is per grade level. My days, however, go from about 630/700 am until after 5 (or later) b/c I have so many different grade levels and responsibilities that it simply takes that long to get everything done.

I have used Sonlight for most of the time that I've been hsing. I cut out the religious portion, but I have done everything else. After several years I also replaced their LA and science because I was unhappy with what they had.

K took maybe 1.5 hours.

1st took 1.5-2 hours.

2nd took 2-2.5 hours for my two older girls, but was around 3.5 hours for my dyslexic dd.

3rd took 3-4 hours for my two older girls, but was around 4-5 hours for my dyslexic dd.

4th was 3-4 hours for my two older girls, but was 4-5 hours for my dyslexic dd.

5th was 4-5 hours for all.

6th was 4-5 for all (dyslexic dd hasn't done this yet).

7th was 5-6 hours for all.

8th was 5-6 hours for all.

I don't actually know the times for high school yet. When my oldest reached 9th grade, she started spreading her work out over the entire day. It certainly shouldn't have taken that long, but she often didn't even start until after lunch.

As the children advanced in level we have added hours. Now we begin at 7:30 and end around 2 but they have reading and activities that they continue until around 4 or 5. It is pretty much a full day now because we have so much more we want to cover and it is more involved, especially science and math.

people paint the picture that home schooling takes so little time, waaay less than public school...um not when they're older and you school classically.

I think even this depends on the family. I've seen examples IRL and on the high school board of classically educating families who maybe take 5-6 hours to do schoolwork, and I liked the overall balance of academics and the rest of life (and the results of the academics!). It's all in how the studies are approached. It's my goal to prepare my kids well with some basic skills, so that when they reach high school they will not need more than 5 or 6 hours to do their required schoolwork. And have plenty of time leftover for more reading, play, hobbies, chores, family time, running a business, etc.. I am constantly evaluating in my mind what is *really* needed, and what is busy work in any text we use, and constantly thinking ahead, trying to figure out where this course is going, so I can dig out the necessary parts.

We are classically educating. Currently my 6th grader (when he's not distracted) takes about 4-5 hours, including time with me and reading for the content areas. My 3rd grader takes about 2-3 hours. In the course of the year we regularly do: math, grammar, Latin, writing, history, science, literature, piano lessons, and logic. We scatter in art appreciation, art skills, and music appreciation. They play outside every day and we try to go to the pool once a week.

Last night I was typing an e-mail to my former-ps-teacher-Mom, telling her how things were going. For fun, I calculated for her how much time in a year it took us to get all this done - it was like 400 fewer hours per year than our local ps!!! I couldn't believe it. But my kids are getting equipped with those skills, and they read a LOT, so I KNOW they are learning a lot, in an organized way.

It really all does depend, even with the classical approach.

Edited by Colleen in NS

I think even this depends on the family. I've seen examples IRL and on the high school board of classically educating families who maybe take 5-6 hours to do schoolwork. It's all in how the studies are approached. It's my goal to prepare my kids well with some basic skills, so that when they reach high school they will not need more than 5 or 6 hours to do their required schoolwork. And have plenty of time leftover for more reading, play, hobbies, chores, family time, running a business, etc..

If you figure out a way to do it, please share. It has not been a possibility here. I have never had high schoolers have short days. For example, my current 10th grader:

chemistry 1 hr-1 1/2hrs

alg 2 1 hr-1 1/2 hrs

French 1 hr

Lit 1 hr

English 1 hr

art history 30 mins

theology 30-45 mins

history 1hr

PE 6 hrs/wk

That 8 credit hrs. I don't give separate credit for Lit/English. That's a minimum of 7 1/2 hrs per day. But many days it ends up being 8 1/2-9 hrs.

I added art history this yr b/c AP classes take longer than an hr, so while she may earn fewer credits in 11th or 12th, her days will be equally long.

I've seen examples IRL and on the high school board of classically educating families who maybe take 5-6 hours to do schoolwork, and I liked the overall balance of academics and the rest of life (and the results of the academics!).

5-6 hours is not finished by noon, though (and is reasonable w/o many electives). I heard all kinds of, "We're finished before lunch." but no one mentioned the time grows as they get older and when you have large families that takes time too. I just wanted to make sue the OP understood the growing time part. :001_smile:

First, make a rows/columns blank grid for all your hours.

......Mon......Tues......Weds.....Thur.....Fri....Sat....Sun....

8:00

..............|............|...........|..........|..........|...............|

9:00

..............|............|...........|..........|..........|................|

10:00

..............|.............|...........|..........|..........|................|

11:00

..............|.............|...........|..........|..........|................|

Then insert sleep hours

meal times

your activities, parkdays, piano lessons, and other obligations

some "down time" for the kids and mom.

Then.... you can see what time you have "available" to homeschool.

And then you can just decide "how many hours" you want to devote it it.

Homeschooling can take as little or as much of your time as you wish.

There is no set amount.

if she is new to homeschooling, I suggest start with one hour the first week.

READING- - one hour

reading, two :30 min sessions, one book on history topic, one on science topic You can change up the topics as the weeks go by, have some kind of rotation, literature, religious, student-choice, reference books (Usborne etc)

Next week add WRITING

"Write about what you read. Use Who what when where how why as prompts.

Third week add VOCABULARY

Daily effort, weekly test, continual review all year. No forgetting old words.

Fourth week add MATH

Daily effort, student re-works any incorrect problems.

Now this brings us to the second month and about 3 hours per day.

Maybe this is too much, maybe it is too little.

But the students are getting into the routine, and she can fine-tune the "subjects" more if she wishes.

You can make homeschooling take as little time or as much time in a day as you wish. What would she like to start out with, time wise?

:seeya:

If you figure out a way to do it, please share. It has not been a possibility here. I have never had high schoolers have short days.

Like I said and you quoted me on, it depends on the family. From what I've read/seen, it *is* possible to classically educate a high schooler well (IMO from my observations) in a shorter day.

the time grows as they get older and when you have large families that takes time too. I just wanted to make sue the OP understood the growing time part.

Gotcha. I'm thinking you are looking at the overall family/homeschooling picture, and I'm looking at the individual child "on-task" time for classical education - that's why I picked out that part of your comment, hoping to show the OP that it still may be possible to classically educate high schoolers in a shorter time than what public schoolers spend on task at school and with homework.

We don't get "finished before lunch" - but we also don't get started until 9:30. We have snacks at 10:30ish and I let them play while I'm getting lunch ready (start fixing at around Noon). Then, we'll start again at 1:30 or so with Religion/History/Science/Electives.

We are sometimes still "doing school" when the neighbor kid(s) show up to ask to play with my kids. Other days, people who don't know we homeschool would be alarmed to see my older one outside at 2:30 because we are done for the day.

One point - We don't have "homework" at night. (My kids are all young still.) Our nights are ours - sometimes to play games or do read alouds or just take a walk as a family. I don't think anyone has pointed that out yet. :001_smile:

I really think it depends on the curriculum you are using. For example, sometimes our 3rd grade English takes 20 minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. That really changes the amount of time per day spent schooling. Usually we school about four to six hours for third grade. But that includes all the basics (math, reading, history) plus specials like science experiments, music lessons and art projects. On days where we have sports or co-op we do fewer school lesson.

This is our first year. I'm hsing a 1st and 3rd grader. We are planning on essentially a 9-12 schedule. This does not include any down time, PE, library, music or art, or read alouds not being done as lit studies. So far so good. We have been at it 1 week and have worked up to 1.5 hrs so far, which includes math, spelling and science.

There's enough stuff I want to teach to be at it all day but part of the reason I brought them home was bc I think they need more family and play time. I need to control myself:tongue_smilie:

Brownie

I'm trying to allow an hour/subject to give plenty of time for transition, instruction if applicable, work, study and maybe it'll turn out that a full hour isn't necessary but I don't see an hour excessive.

An hour seems like a lot. We've just begun fifth grade here also, and only math takes 40 minutes. Everything else takes between 15 to 30 minutes. Some of our subjects, like spelling, pre-logic, typing, penmanship, etc., take only 15 minutes.

What curricula are you teaching this year?

We do a morning session between 8:00 and 12:00. This morning session includes several 5-10 minute breaks for the little guy to go outside and run around with his dogs or jump in the pool for a quick swim. After lunch we work again for another hour or hour and a half. This afternoon session is for all the "fun" stuff. This year that's art and art appreciation, music appreciation and crafts. "Fun" changes from year to year as one would expect. In all cases, we're done by 2:00 latest every day.

We only work Monday through Thursday, 40 weeks. Fridays are for field trips, co-op, play dates, piano lessons, and whatever else he wants to do.

Edited by tdeveson

We have been at it 1 week and have worked up to 1.5 hrs so far, which includes math, spelling and science.

There's enough stuff I want to teach to be at it all day but part of the reason I brought them home was bc I think they need more family and play time. I need to control myself:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

If you don't have a copy of the book, The Well Trained Mind, I would recommend getting a copy from your local library. No other book that I'm aware of covers the issue of time and scheduling of subjects for each grade level so completely and so well.

SWB did not pay me to say this! But then again, it makes sense that since this is her website forum we really should consider what she has to offer that will truly help us. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda