Menu

This may just be the tip of the iceberg...

but my son mentioned to our neighbor that we will be homeschooling him this coming school year. My neighbor asked me about it and told him we're doing a test run this summer to see how it goes. I also told his it's been going very well (after a somwhat rough start) and that I really enjoy it and we've all been learning a lot.

My neighbor then asked me, "Well, if you homeschool him, how will he learn how to wait?" Meaning, how will he learn how to wait for all the other kids to finish their work, how will he learn how to wait for 33 other kids to go to the bathroom (4 times a day), how will be learn how to wait in line to walk down the hall. After I gushed about all the benefits of homeschooling, all this person could think of was how will my son learn to be a cog in an inefficient wheel. Very strange.

My neighbor then asked me, "Well, if you homeschool him, how will he learn how to wait?"

Well, let's see. This fall will be the first year my dd5 will be old enough to attend school, and I'm already having to teach her to wait. She'd make my arm black and blue from tapping it to get my attention if I didn't get some sort of system in place!

:iagree:

What a silly reason to send kids to public school. At least you're starting out with this one instead of being hammered about socialization:tongue_smilie:

Oh, he mentioned that, too. The old "Kids need to be around other kids their own age" argument. I told them he is around kids his own age: at the co-op, violin lessons, tumbling lessons, neighborhood kids, etc.

You guys don't really know me, but the people around here do. I am very thorough in my research and preparation for just about everything, so the "suggestions" I'm starting to get are weird. Like make sure I control him, so he doesn't run right over me. I think you're saying I don't know what I'm doing.

Oh, he mentioned that, too. The old "Kids need to be around other kids their own age" argument.

It sounds like he's questioning you on stupid (sorry) points. I would not engage with him on these, nor would I attempt to defend a family decision (at least more than once). I'd nicely say something like, "Oh, yeah, we have that covered!" and change the subject--repeatedly, every time he makes comments, until he stops.

Does he like bean dip?

Ummm, we have 8 people and ONE bathroom...yeah, they've learned waiting under intense conditions.

That's what I was going to say. But we are only 5 people, one of which is not yet potty trained.

Have you ever noticed that the bathroom can be empty for hours and then suddenly everyone needs it at the same time?

"Well, if you homeschool him, how will he learn how to wait?" Meaning, how will he learn how to wait for all the other kids to finish their work, how will he learn how to wait for 33 other kids to go to the bathroom (4 times a day), how will be learn how to wait in line to walk down the hall.

:confused::001_huh: Wow...just when you think you have heard every single homeschooling "what if" imaginable, THIS shows up. Apparently they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for "what if's" these days because that question falls under the 1980's song category, "Things that make you go...hmmmmm..."

"Actually, we are WAY ahead of ya! We schedule in arbitrary waiting as part of our Classical Curriculum. It's so much fun and teaches patience as well as flexibility. For instance, he asks to use the bathroom. I say, sure, but you have to wait.........

Okay, you can go now. Also, we make them wait at other times as well. No worries, we have it taken care of! Thanks for your concern, though!"

;)

"Actually, we are WAY ahead of ya! We schedule in arbitrary waiting as part of our Classical Curriculum. It's so much fun and teaches patience as well as flexibility. For instance, he asks to use the bathroom. I say, sure, but you have to wait.........

Okay, you can go now. Also, we make them wait at other times as well. No worries, we have it taken care of! Thanks for your concern, though!"

For some reason, when I read this, I could *hear* it in Tina Fey's Sarah Palin voice. Makes it funnier. :lol::lol::lol:

I just don't engage people with lame objections such as that one.

I look at them like they've grown another head. Then I quickly start to laugh. "Aw man, you had me going there for a second." I give a big sigh. "If we ever see waiting in line (or other pathetic objection) will be a problem, I'll have to consult you! Planning out a child's top notch education is so important that sometimes it's good to step back and laugh at the funny things people think school is really about."

If they ever bring up another objection they get, "Oh, there you go again messing with me. If only things were that simplistic in real life!" Change subject. BTW, I live in the South--we get away with saying things like "messing with me." :lol:

When I told my father we would be homeschooling, he said, "But how will he learn to wait in line?" Apparently, waiting in line was a major thing in my father's elementary education.

ETA: My father meant this as a joke.

Edited by EKS

My neighbor then asked me, "Well, if you homeschool him, how will he learn how to wait?"

I always turn these questions back on people. Well, how often do you have to wait for 33 people to finish their work before you can move on? Does your job require that? How often do you have to wait for 33 other people to go to the bathroom? Are all your visits to public restrooms like that? Is waiting in line really a skill that must be taught in a school setting? Does it really take a person with a college education to teach a child how to wait in line? So far, that's generally stopped them, if not slowed them down.

After I gushed about all the benefits of homeschooling, all this person could think of was how will my son learn to be a cog in an inefficient wheel. Very strange.

And that is why the archaic indoctrination of our country is able to continue.

I guess you never wait in line at the store, movies, water fountain, slide at the park, library checkout, etc......

I have people wondering how will my dd ever learn social skills. Never mind the fact that we have MANY friends her age and she plays well enough with others. She is also not afraid to talk to old people. In fact, we go to a little bait and tackle shack (back home) with a covered porch and benches full of old men who are veterans. She gets fishing tips from them and she listens to their stories about their younger years.

I am just so shocked that people still think a room full of kids your own age is the way to learn social skills that will enable you to associate with old folks and babies. The world is mixed ages; the classroom is not. Where's the logic?

It sounds like he's questioning you on stupid (sorry) points. I would not engage with him on these, nor would I attempt to defend a family decision (at least more than once). I'd nicely say something like, "Oh, yeah, we have that covered!" and change the subject--repeatedly, every time he makes comments, until he stops.

Does he like bean dip?

But honestly, a short and simple discussion with him, pointing out the facts as we are here in this thread, could give him something to think about. He might ponder it and later see the truth. I have been able to *carefully* discuss these issues with friends and strangers and I have given them food for thought. I do not get emotional or take it personally. I just realize the other person is not educated to the "other" side of the matter; they are still under their brainwashed government propaganda and they have never even HEARD the other arguments. Give them something to chew on if they are worthy and then the next homeschooler to cross their path will be able to share something with them and eventually they will see the light or at the very least respect the other side.

My mom's a ps teacher and that was one of the skills she thought my kids would be lacking by being homeschooled - learning to wait in line. I thought that was hysterical. How is standing in line with a bunch of other kids pushing and shoving, stepping on your toes, poking you in the back and pulling your hair a basic life skill? A college professor friend once said homeschool kids have trouble assimilating into classroom life - participating in discussions, etc. And I'm thinking - well, maybe so, but how long does it take them to catch on? A semseter maybe, if they're reasonably bright?

A college professor friend once said homeschool kids have trouble assimilating into classroom life - participating in discussions, etc. And I'm thinking - well, maybe so, but how long does it take them to catch on? A semseter maybe, if they're reasonably bright?

That whole "they can't participate in college discussions" is bunk. I went to college for the first time in my 30's and the only people who talked were a few outgoing personalities and me. (Because I was old enough to be confident in my replies--the rest of them were still in that mode of being too embarrassed to talk in front of all the other people their own age...ahem.) In the one class I had with a homeschooler, she spoke well and often. In fact, she seemed bemused and frustrated that no one else wanted to talk much in the class.

You could tell him you take your kids with you to the Bank, the Grocery Store, the Post Office. That you've got that 'learning to wait' covered.

You forgot the most challenging test of perseverance available to man---the DMV!

Now if he can do that, he'll go far in life :001_smile:

The man was totally serious. He was VERY concerned that no one is checking on us to see if we are doing "what we're supposed to do". We live in Illinois and have really relaxed homeschooling rules. 1) You need to teach in english and 2) you need to teach the same subjects as the public schools in your area. No reporting, no paperwork, no testing, no proof of anything. It's great, actually.

I tried to explain that our curriculum is much more challenging than my son's private school's curriculum. He said, "Yes, your son is very bright, but how will he learn how to function within the SYSTEM?" I asked him where in his adult life will he encounter a situation where he waits for 33 other people to do something (his job). He didn't have anything to say about that.

My response so far is to reply (we get this a lot because it is a really big deal in the schools and preschools around here - how to stand in line - Seriously, they spend a lot of time working on this skill. THEY PRACTICE IT) "that yea all that waiting in line training prepares them real well for their prison career. Haven't you noticed how they all stand in line with their heads down, hands behind their backs, shuffling along just like the prison line. I wonder if that influences any of them to live a life of crime since they are used to standing like prisoners and feel safer in a line surrounded by cinder blocks" said in that innocent southern really concerned voice

They usually sputter and shut up. I even deal with this in church SS where when they line the kids up, they tell them "hands behind your back" I know they do it to keep kids from touching each other and tell them to watch the other person's feet to keep them from stepping on each other but come on... Where do you ever see that behavior in real life? I am on a one person crusade against standing in line training. :D