Menu

Roll call to help please: does your state have dual enrollment and is it free?

Our state is about to cut dual enrollment programs significantly. I'm gearing up to talk with legislators, etc. so please answer this thread only if you are sure of your facts.

Q 1 Does your state allow dual enrollment for high school students? (ie the student takes a course at the local cc and gets both high school and college credit for that course)

Q 2 Is it free or do students pay tuition?

In the subj line, could you write

State abreviation

-yes (you do have dual enrollment) or -No

If yes, then could you put yes-0 (it's free) or Yes-$ (you pay).

If you include a message, please write an M following. Thanks! That will make it easy to see the data!

Thanks very much!

Guest Virginia Dawn

My oldest son took a full year of cc his senior year of high school. It cost us about 2,500. I have recently heard, however, that the rules are changing and the administration is taking dual enrollements on a case-by-case basis. This is apparently because the school is getting more students than they can handle since the economic downturn.

If my child was enrolled in public school, he could have had dual enrollment classes free, but he couldn't have gone full time.

Yes, but it is threatened right now and they may be getting rid of it.

I don't mind paying for it, what bugs me is that they are saying you CANNOT go at all until you graduate if it is taken away. I don't quite get that.

Dawn

Really? Dual enrollment is free? I've never heard that. What cc?

And from what I've heard, they're really cutting back on that as well in my area. Only a very few students will be allowed to do it, and only in areas not at all available in the high school.

Yes, but it is threatened right now and they may be getting rid of it.

I don't mind paying for it, what bugs me is that they are saying you CANNOT go at all until you graduate if it is taken away. I don't quite get that.

Dawn

Talk to your legislator. They don't know what is happening. The ones I talked with all thought you could pay your own way. I think the issue is that the state subsidizes the tuition, so even if you pay tuition, the state still incurs a cost. However, that's true for every cc student, and when they're offering a class where there are openings, they've already paid for the prof, A/C, etc.

Oklahoma - yes (both CC and university); free - yes (tuition part only) (M)

Oklahoma offers free tuition (no books or fees paid) for dual enrollment at both community colleges as well as state universities. Students must take placement exams (ACT usually) and score appropriately for the year they are applying (junior or senior of high school). If student is under age 16, special permission can be obtained, otherwise age 16 is the youngest allowed.

Article

Dual-enrollment programs between Iowa’s high schools and community colleges have saved the state about $21.7 million in future aid at other educational institutions and saved their families $30.7 million in future college-related expenses, according to a new study.

“Our study determined that Iowa’s community college Early College Opportunity program generated more than a five-fold return on the taxpayers’ investment,†according to former state economist Harvey Siegelman, who wrote the study with Iowa State University economics professor Daniel Otto.

we have it and its' free - as it SHOULD be. You're paying your taxes like everyone else, why would you have to pay to send your kid to PS on top of it?

My son did dual enrollment last year in 11th grade. It was a perfect year for him. He had school every other day, which meant school three days one week and two the next. This is for HIGH school, not college courses.

I hear that in one town the kids can take free college courses at New England college, only 25 minutes from my house! Haven't used it but read about it a few years back.

we have it and its' free - as it SHOULD be.

This is for HIGH school, not college courses.

But aren't your students getting college credit as well?

That's how it works here. They get high school credits (which, I agree, must be free) as well as college credit.

If everything works as planned, my son will graduate from our local public school with a high school diploma and an associates degree from the community college.

I am grateful that it will be mostly free, though I don't know that it's the way it SHOULD be.

But aren't your students getting college credit as well?

That's how it works here. They get high school credits (which, I agree, must be free) as well as college credit.

If everything works as planned, my son will graduate from our local public school with a high school diploma and an associates degree from the community college.

I am grateful that it will be mostly free, though I don't know that it's the way it SHOULD be.

Would you compare this to advanced placement classes (haven't fully researched it yet as my daughter is only going into 4th grade)? As I remember from when I was in high school (back when the earth was cooling *g*), we did not have to pay extra for an advanced placement course or the books for it even though we got college credit and high school credit for it. I don't remember if we had to pay a fee to take the AP test, though.

Would you compare this to advanced placement classes (haven't fully researched it yet as my daughter is only going into 4th grade)? As I remember from when I was in high school (back when the earth was cooling *g*), we did not have to pay extra for an advanced placement course or the books for it even though we got college credit and high school credit for it. I don't remember if we had to pay a fee to take the AP test, though.

The end result could certainly be the same, but AP classes are taken at the high school, taught by high school teachers, using materials purchased by the school district. The students aren't using college resources (classroom space, instructors, etc).

NC families--CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS. DH just heard from another one of our local representatives who assured him that the concurrent enrollment program (Huskins Bill) is back in the budget *as of this second* but that things are changing nearly every hour.

Tell your legislators that we want ACCESS to class openings, with or without state tuition remittance. As the budget stands now, high school students will not be allowed to attend class if the state doesn't pay the tuition. Many families are being forced to consider graduating our students early in order to meet our student's academic needs, costing us thousands of dollars in scholarship opportunity as incoming freshmen later.

We do not want ONLY math/science/tech courses. High school students need access to smaller class sizes for the foundation humanities courses they will transfer to their NC university programs later.

CALL! CALL! CALL! (They seem to be listening!)

Lori, whose 16yo dd is so very sad to think she cannot return to CC after successfully managing 15 semester hours in the spring...

Washington. It used to be free (except books) until this year, and there are now some fees. In one of the school districts near by (we have 3 large districts that all merge here) there are 1200 students enrolled. There is no limit to the amount that can enroll.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap