Menu

Is there such a thing as being allowed to test your own kids?

Dianne-TX

I have a college degree. I don't particularly want to do group testing. I am interested, though, in seeing where my dc stand in each subject. Any suggestions on what to use and if I can use the main standardized tests myself?

You have to register by sending your college diploma to BJUP. It's easy after that.

I'd check with your local home school group.

They should have some phone numbers for you.

I highly recommend testing.

I've never understood why some parents get so freaked out by it.

For what it's worth.

I buy the test booklet a few weeks before my boys have to take the test here in AR.

We do one practice run, and they consistently score WAY above their grade level.

If we haven't covered it, I just tell them to take a guess, we go over HOW to take a test and I let go.

My 12 yo (6th grade) son just tested and is a 11.8 grade equivalent in math and a 9.7 grade equivalent in language arts.

My 10 yo (4th grade) son tested at a 5.2 grade equiv. in math and a 6.9 equiv. in language arts.

THAT is motivating for me and it shut's up all of the family members who are wondering if I'm ruining my kids by keeping them home~:D

We also use the IOWA test that we purchase through BJU press. I like testing in our own home because this is the environment that they are most comfortable with and my daughter is always done before the time is up and we can move on to the next section without waiting for others to finish.

Amy

I've used the ITBS through Brewer Testing. I didn't have to send a college diploma - just verify that I have a college degree. Their service was outstanding. They emailed me when they received my order with info as to when they would send the test out, they emailed me when they sent the test out and when they received my test back. I think they even emailed me when they sent the test results out. I highly recommend them.

That's how we do it in Minnesota. We've used Seton and

Family Learning Organization for our tests. No diploma or anything needed, just order from their sites. FLO's tests are a bit broader, take longer and break the subjects down more for you. I think they are about $40. Seton is shorter, and a bit more concise. Not as much feedback as FLO's, but good enough. $25 at Seton.

Piece of cake; you can do it!

Since when ? I never had to. If they have implemented that requirement, I'll never use them again !

That really rubs me the wrong way. All I did for BJUP was to affirm (verbally, by telephone) that I hold a master's degree.

Now I have to complete this outpouring of annoyance by observing how nasty-spirited I find the ABeka demand to know my husband's name (None of their business !), and Calvert's requirement that I be married (with the husband alive, no less). (Maybe Calvert has reformed since I heard that a widow was denied service !)

You have to register by sending your college diploma to BJUP. It's easy after that.

I've used the ITBS through Brewer Testing. I didn't have to send a college diploma - just verify that I have a college degree. Their service was outstanding. They emailed me when they received my order with info as to when they would send the test out, they emailed me when they sent the test out and when they received my test back. I think they even emailed me when they sent the test results out. I highly recommend them.

Ditto to everything Sue said. Great service from Brewer Testing!

I used Brewer this year with the same good results.

Since when ? I never had to. If they have implemented that requirement, I'll never use them again !

That really rubs me the wrong way. All I did for BJUP was to affirm (verbally, by telephone) that I hold a master's degree.

Now I have to complete this outpouring of annoyance by observing how nasty-spirited I find the ABeka demand to know my husband's name (None of their business !), and Calvert's requirement that I be married (with the husband alive, no less). (Maybe Calvert has reformed since I heard that a widow was denied service !)

I had to send my diploma in as well. It's a security measure. There are people ordering the tests and allowing people to see them before they take them for a fee. For the Iowa, you are actually required to have a college degree to administer -- it's not a BJUP thing.

Side Note:

The thing with testing your own is that you have to have the integrity to not cheat, to not allow your children to see the questions before hand, etc.

We know people who do not comply with the testing rules, and all it really does is throw off the results of those who do comply.

I have not tested in ten years. I bought the ITBS from BJUP and, as I noted earlier, had only to affirm that I hold minimum of a B.A./B.S. degree.

What do they require now? Does one xerox ones diploma ? Or, must one spend the money to acquire a notarized copy from the university and fork over that copy to BJUP ?

I don't quibble with the degree requirement, just with what strikes me as an invasive request for a hardcopy.

I'm glad that I live in a state which does not mandate testing ! I like to test occasionally, but I won't even try to do so with dd now.

I had to send my diploma in as well. It's a security measure. There are people ordering the tests and allowing people to see them before they take them for a fee. For the Iowa, you are actually required to have a college degree to administer -- it's not a BJUP thing.

Side Note:

The thing with testing your own is that you have to have the integrity to not cheat, to not allow your children to see the questions before hand, etc.

We know people who do not comply with the testing rules, and all it really does is throw off the results of those who do comply.

Edited by Orthodox6

I faxed mine over to bjup, but that was 10 years ago. They've just kept it on file. I'm sure you could fax over your transcript or something.

If you're already in the system, I doubt they'll ask for anything. They had to get tough at a time because there was a huge problem threatening to rights of parents to test their own children. I guess I was happy to oblige rather than have a few dishonest people ruin it for everyone.

I have not tested in ten years. I bought the ITBS from BJUP and, as I noted earlier, had only to affirm that I hold minimum of a B.A./B.S. degree.

What do they require now? Does one xerox ones diploma ? Or, must one spend the money to acquire a notarized copy from the university and fork over that copy to BJUP ?

I don't quibble with the degree requirement, just with what strikes me as an invasive request for a hardcopy.

I'm glad that I live in a state which does not mandate testing ! I like to test occasionally, but I won't even try to do so with dd now.

I'm sorry, but it just bothers me that you must have a college degree to be allowed to administer a test to your kids. They come with detailed instructions and you send them in to be scored... where's the part that requires a college education?

Are these testing places (and I know it's universal) basically saying that people who only hold a high school diploma aren't trustworthy and responsible enough to administer a test without waving it around under all their friends' noses and posting free copies in a library? I can teach my child, I just can't administer a test.

Is there more light to be shed on this? Am I just tetchy? :glare:

I'm sorry, but it just bothers me that you must have a college degree to be allowed to administer a test to your kids. They come with detailed instructions and you send them in to be scored... where's the part that requires a college education?

Are these testing places (and I know it's universal) basically saying that people who only hold a high school diploma aren't trustworthy and responsible enough to administer a test without waving it around under all their friends' noses and posting free copies in a library? I can teach my child, I just can't administer a test.

I'm sure there's lots of untrustworthy people out there--not implying this is so in the homeschooling world, but if they allow everyone access to these tests, then every parent in the country could order a test to prep their kids before the school administers the test.

I don't know the actual reason for this, but my suspicion is that it is *not* because the test publishers (like Riverside) think that people without college degrees are less capable or less trustworthy. I think it is that they were trying to come up with a qualification that wasn't a teaching certificate or experience teaching in a classroom but that was relatively equivelant (I'm pretty sure most certified teachers have college degrees). And a bachelor's degree is what they came up with.

It's only a guess though.

http://www.familylearning.org/testing.html

Worked well for us. You send it in for grading and they return with results.

I have also used Family Learning Organization and was very happy with their service. We used the CAT5; it was a very thorough test and the results were very useful to me in assessing my son's strengths and weaknesses. It was only $35, the results were returned quickly, and I didn't need to send any proof of a degree. I will definitely use FLO again.

Jackie

This is quite interesting, even though I don't need this info at present, I appreciate it.

Not all states require a college degree to homeschool, as far as I know...And having a college degree doesn't guarantee the person won't do something illicit with the testing materials. But more to the point, I don't see why being married or sharing your husband's name with an organization is required to obtain testing materials. Good grief.

I think she is reacting not against the issue of honesty, but against the stereotype that a person without a college degree is not capable of teaching.

I think I would be comfortable with the requirement of the test examiner to have completed high school. The ITBS required no depth of understanding to administer !

I'm sure there's lots of untrustworthy people out there--not implying this is so in the homeschooling world, but if they allow everyone access to these tests, then every parent in the country could order a test to prep their kids before the school administers the test.

When I cited these two "annoyances", I was referring to ABeka's refusal to sell curricular materials -- not standardized tests -- to me unless I divulged my husband's name. (. . . and who is to confirm whether I gave them his real name, or some fanciful creation ?! ) . . . also referring to Calvert's policy of selling homeschool curricular materials ONLY to married couples. Come to think of that one, I wonder why, with any new order, they don't enquire whether I still am married, or if I have been divorced or widowed. Same for ABeka -- I might be on my 62nd husband by now, for all they know.

But more to the point, I don't see why being married or sharing your husband's name with an organization is required to obtain testing materials. Good grief.

I think she is reacting not against the issue of honesty, but against the stereotype that a person without a college degree is not capable of teaching.

I think I would be comfortable with the requirement of the test examiner to have completed high school. The ITBS required no depth of understanding to administer !

I'm sure they know that most anyone has the ability to administer the test. I think they simply add the requirement of having a college degree as a way to drastically reduce the number of people who have access--after all, these tests are most commonly used in schools, and were long before the homeschool movement of the last 30 years or so. I think the issue of honesty is a big factor in why they might do this. Again, I'm not saying that people without college degrees are less honest--I don't have a college degree, so I wouldn't say that :001_smile: . I just think they want to cut down on the # of people who could cheat.

Then again, maybe they do think you're not capable without a degree.

For the last few years, BJU has been telling us their policy is that parents are not allowed to receive or administer the tests (even those of us with college degrees). I place the order, but my friend, who is a certified teacher has to verify that she is the tester and the tests are then sent directly to her. It was much different when I first started hs'ing. I was able to administer the tests in the "off-years" and have my friend give them in the required years. ND requires standardized testing in grades 4, 6, 8, & 10; the same years as the ps kids take theirs, and a cert. teacher must do the testing.

From what I've read here, it seems like BJU has different rules for different people.

Sheri :)

yes, you can test them your self. As long as your state allows it. In PA we cannot do that if we test in grades 3,5, and 8. We have to have somone other then the parent test our children in those grade levels.

Now if I want to test them in between I can just get a test from Seton and use that myself.

If your state doesn't require standardized tests and your just doing it to see where your children are in the grand scheme of things I don't see why you can't.

I really think it is a good idea to contact them and explain that you have a degree. I've only ever found them to be reasonable, respectful and helpful. Did they never ask you if you had a degree? Also, you may not test with the Stanford unless you test another child at the same time -- at least I think that is how it goes. Were you trying to order the ITBS?

I also don't think it is "different rules for different people" -- that's kind of a hasty judgment. I think it probably has more to do with people ordering tests at different times based on laws and such.

Oh -- and you cannot test your children until you become a verified tester. Did you ever try to do this? That's the first step.

For the last few years, BJU has been telling us their policy is that parents are not allowed to receive or administer the tests (even those of us with college degrees). I place the order, but my friend, who is a certified teacher has to verify that she is the tester and the tests are then sent directly to her. It was much different when I first started hs'ing. I was able to administer the tests in the "off-years" and have my friend give them in the required years. ND requires standardized testing in grades 4, 6, 8, & 10; the same years as the ps kids take theirs, and a cert. teacher must do the testing.

From what I've read here, it seems like BJU has different rules for different people.

Sheri :)

I recently ordered the CAT/5 from FLO.

I looked at BJU recently for the ITBS and was discouraged that I had to have experience as a teacher in a classroom (not a homeschool). Was I looking in the wrong place for the ITBS?

Good information! Thanks for asking this question.

I recently ordered the CAT/5 from FLO.

I looked at BJU recently for the ITBS and was discouraged that I had to have experience as a teacher in a classroom (not a homeschool). Was I looking in the wrong place for the ITBS?

Good information! Thanks for asking this question.

Are you looking here?

http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/

Here are forms and applications:

http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/forms.php

Here is info on being a tester:

http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/documents/iowa-application.pdf

And here is where you order forms:

http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/documents/order-form-homeschool.pdf

or order online here:

http://www.bjupress.com/category/Testing%20&%20Evaluation

When I cited these two "annoyances", I was referring to ABeka's refusal to sell curricular materials -- not standardized tests -- to me unless I divulged my husband's name. (. . . and who is to confirm whether I gave them his real name, or some fanciful creation ?! ) . . . also referring to Calvert's policy of selling homeschool curricular materials ONLY to married couples. Come to think of that one, I wonder why, with any new order, they don't enquire whether I still am married, or if I have been divorced or widowed. Same for ABeka -- I might be on my 62nd husband by now, for all they know.

Fascinating. I had no idea.