Menu

be careful when returning items to Sonlight!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't believe that would really be their policy, but it is:

"Materials returned after six months or received by us in non-resalable condition will not receive a refund nor will we return these materials to you. "

Wow.

I chatted with an online cs rep about their return policy. The policy is in the catalog. I was, frankly, surprised by it and a bit taken aback. The rep confirmed that this is, indeed, SL policy, but she stated that SL does make exceptions for customers who request them. So, I imagine if you ask they will ship stuff back to you at your cost. I asked what happens to damaged books returned to SL and not returned to the buyer. I was told usually those items are recycled because they are that badly damaged as to be unusable. I was also told they have a lenient return policy. I did suggest that they consider updating their policy to reflect that they will return damaged goods to the buyer at the buyer's cost at least. She said she'd pass that along.

Now, all this said, I have been so far happy with my SL experience, and I am a relatively new customer of less than a year. But I must admit, this return policy doesn't really sit well with me regardless of exceptions they are willing to make. It just doesn't seem like it should be any problem for SL to return goods to a buyer at buyer's expense if they won't refund. After all, doesn't a person who returns goods damaged either in transit or whatever have the right to have them back if thy so choose? How can that be left in the discretion of SL? I would now be tempted to include a separate prepaid mailer indicating to them I expected my goods back if they were not going to refund me my money.

Have you received a response from the powers-that-be at Sonlight yet, Carolyn?

Cat

I got an email just a bit ago, they will not refund me my money, but instead gave me a $50 gift cert.

I just want to say if you order from SL, and you do a return, first inspect your books upon arrival, make notes of any damage, as minor as it seems and call them ASAP.

If you decide to return the items, do not use the post office, go with Fed ex or UPS. wrap in bubble wrap if you have to, if any knick or dent as MINOR as it seems occurs during shipping they will not refund your money, bottom line...:ack2: buyer beware, I certainly will not do business with a company with such strict return policies again.

also, they record or keep a record of all phone conversations so please be specific when talking to CS.

I would consider complaining to the Better Business Bureau as well.

http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/home-schooling/sonlight-curriculum-ltd-in-littleton-co-75000471

I checked them out: they are a BBB accredited business (which means "BBB has determined that this business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public"), and have had 0 complaints in the last 36 months. Why don't you become the first?

Edited by stripe

They even acted like they were doing me a *favor* by refunding me 3 items that were damaged by THEM from iron filings falling out of the box, because I did not report it initially. Well I did not even notice the minor scratches when I returned them, but realized when they made notations on my invoice that the damage was scuff marks, which i realized was caused by the iron filings...so he acted like it was a favor to do that...

I've been following this thread, wondering what the final outcome would be. I know it's not much comfort when you're out so much money, but I guarantee you that Sonlight is the one that has taken the beating. They didn't handle this well at all, and it's going to cost them where it really hurts--the wallet. In this economy, people are expecting value for their money. Now that we've seen how they run their business, I think a lot of us will hesitate to buy anything from them that we could buy somewhere else.

:grouphug:

I'm glad when people post their experiences with curriculum sellers. I had a unpleasant experience with WinterPromise and I think it is good to have forewarning about what to look out for. I ordered from Sonlight once and was underwhelmed with the quality of the material for what they charged. I also noticed that the packaging was not as careful as I've experienced with other sellers. Between Sonlight's 'purchase driven' forums and the prices they charge for their products, I found alternatives that worked better for us elsewhere.

I appreciate hearing the good the bad and the ugly and try to avoid trying to liking something just because it is a popular opinion. :) I think Carolyn should pursue a full refund if she has grounds and it sounds like Sonlight needs to pay more attention to their customer service. Word of mouth spreads like a wildfire in the homeschool community.

Edited by 2cents

Well, I don't mind saying publicly that I hope you get ALL of your money back and I'm so sorry that you've had to be beat up all over the internet the past couple of days. I'm sure a lot of it isn't intentional, but I'm sure it hurts nonetheless.

thank you most of the beating came from the SL forums..which I no longer will visit

I guess I don't understand?? You have the books and $50 credit?? You could sell the books(if they indeed have minor dings) for 70-80% of the cost on the used board. They also credited you $60 for the iron filing fiasco?? I'm sure those books are still useable. You could sell those, too.(maybe not for 70-80%)

I'm just trying to understand. I have never had anything but positive experiences with SL(returns and otherwise) I have talked with CS lots of times. I ordered book labels($.90) They sent the wrong size and overnighted the labels to me. It cost them $5.00 to send that package. I called 1 year after I bought a book(which I needed for 2 cores) and the binding was broken. I was sure they would say, "ummm it's been a year..." But, no, they replaced it and told me keep the one I had and wear it out first.

I hope this also shows that SL is not a bad company to deal with. I do not pretend to know what happened in detail to the OP. I only know what has been posted here and on SL. I would be upset if this happend to me, too.

I guess I don't understand?? You have the books and $50 credit?? You could sell the books(if they indeed have minor dings) for 70-80% of the cost on the used board. They also credited you $60 for the iron filing fiasco?? I'm sure those books are still useable. You could sell those, too.(maybe not for 70-80%)

I think it is because she is out the money it took to ship the books to SL. She is out the money it took to ship the books from SL back to her. She is also stuck with books she doesn't want and a credit fro more books from a company that she doesn't want to do business with. And if she wants to try to recoup the lost money, she'll have to do even more work to sell the books that she doesn't want.

Heck, I'd be mad too.

She's still out $90 plus shipping there and back, plus the aggravation.

I am still shocked that she had to pay to get SL to return the books back to her. That just floors me. :001_huh: That is bold!

I think it is because she is out the money it took to ship the books to SL. She is out the money it took to ship the books from SL back to her. She is also stuck with books she doesn't want and a credit fro more books from a company that she doesn't want to do business with. And if she wants to try to recoup the lost money, she'll have to do even more work to sell the books that she doesn't want.

Heck, I'd be mad too.

I am still shocked that she had to pay to get SL to return the books back to her. That just floors me. :001_huh: That is bold!

thank you Sheila you said it better than I could have, you basically broke it down into a nutshell or however it goes! LOL

muah!

Are they then destroying that property that they keep if people can't afford to pay to get it back? They better be and NOT ending up in a scratch & dent sell.

It's interesting this question came up on the forum about a couple of weeks ago. They don't do scratch & dent sales.

Seriously. Once they knew that they caused some of the damage they shpuld have refunded her money. She shouldn't hqve to jump through hoops or go through the trouble of a used sale. I'm amazed that they don't realize how they're hurting their business. These forums and personal word of mouth is their lifeline! How many of have looked at Sonlight, or any other company, because of a thread we read? 100% of my curriculum research has been online. I can't be alone in that. Geesh!

all of my curriculum research has been either here, HSR and a few other places, but mainly the two I just mentioned, and if I was not *me* reading all this, I would NEVER do business with SL! LOL

I did I mention the freaking coupon code for $50 they tossed at me is INVALID! are they purposely trying to give me a coronary?????:cursing::banghead::mad::angry:

all of my curriculum research has been either here, HSR and a few other places, but mainly the two I just mentioned, and if I was not me reading all this, I would NEVER do business with SL! LOL

I did I mention the freaking coupon code for $50 they tossed at me is INVALID! are they purposely trying to give me a coronary?????:cursing::banghead::mad::angry:

Maybe it takes 24 hours for the online system to recognize it. I'm really surprised at all this. I thought for sure SL would make things right.

Heck, I'd be mad too.

How did they make you pay?? By cc? Really? Or they were going to hold the books??

She obviosly IS doing business with them by using the code. I undersatand being frustrated, but I also understand being proactive in recouping my money! I would be listing those books RIGHT NOW!(But that's just me...)

How did they make you pay?? By cc? Really? Or they were going to hold the books??

She obviosly IS doing business with them by using the code. I undersatand being frustrated, but I also understand being proactive in recouping my money! I would be listing those books RIGHT NOW!(But that's just me...)

They sent me a $50 coupon code instead of refunding my books, so yes, I was going to take it.

I have the books listed for sale, but you know how that goes...

I had to pay SL for them to return the so called damaged books, so I have spent alot in shipping alone back and forth

They sent me a $50 coupon code instead of refunding my books, so yes, I was going to take it.

I have the books listed for sale, but you know how that goes...

I had to pay SL for them to return the so called damaged books, so I have spent alot in shipping alone back and forth

I truely am sorry you are going through this. I mean that. I am not denying your frustration. I would have taken it the credit and used it, too. It pretty much (over) compensates you for shipping. So now you have books you don't want. They also gave you compensation for the books that were damaged due to the iron filings, right? I agree it is a lot of hassle. Not a fun way to spend the summer!

I truely am sorry you are going through this. I mean that. I am not denying your frustration. I would have taken it the credit and used it, too. It pretty much (over) compensates you for shipping. So now you have books you don't want. They also gave you compensation for the books that were damaged due to the iron filings, right? I agree it is a lot of hassle. Not a fun way to spend the summer!

Thanks Janet,

Hey things could be a lot worse, I mean really they can, it is just a hassle is all, but at the end of the day I have my girls to hug and a husband who is wonderful. Good to put things into prespective!

I think like another poster stated SL could be losing money right now from potential buyers just from reading this thread, and it really show what kind of company they are, in my opinion...one not to be trusted

Thanks Janet,

Hey things could be a lot worse, I mean really they can, it is just a hassle is all, but at the end of the day I have my girls to hug and a husband who is wonderful. Good to put things into prespective!

I think like another poster stated SL could be losing money right now from potential buyers just from reading this thread, and it really show what kind of company they are, in my opinion...one not to be trusted

I also want to stress that I "do" believe Sonlight to be a great company(as does my family who uses and many friends). I believe you feel wronged and I do not want to diminish that. I would not expect an answer to your code issue tonight. I do not think moderators can fix those things.

Blessings

I also want to stress that I "do" believe Sonlight to be a great company(as does my family who uses and many friends). I believe you feel wronged and I do not want to diminish that. I would not expect an answer to your code issue tonight. I do not think moderators can fix those things.

Blessings

No, I don't expect an answer tonight, of course not, I just wanted to make sure they got a message.

Okay, I am exhausted! LOL Going to bed!:seeya:

It's interesting this question came up on the forum about a couple of weeks ago. They don't do scratch & dent sales.

Let me take this one step further.... i hope they are destroying them. To even donate them somewhere would be wrong..... especially if they were getting a tax deduction for it.

But i have trouble believing that a company that wants people to build their library would toss scuffed books into a fire/shredder.

I can honestly say right now that if i had ordered, there would be NO MONEY to have paid for return shipping to them. NONE.

The gesture they could make, by saying, "We are sorry, we can't issue a credit for them due to damage, but we would be happy to return them via media mail to you." would go far...... the additional insult of having to pay more for books you don't want is bad....

I'm sorry- I know this is beside the point, but curious minds want to know... ;)

What are the iron filings for?

lol, it's okay, Iron filings are part of one of the science kits they are like *iron sand* which cause a major household catastophe if improperly packaged which also scratch things (books) and can leave rust stains if accidentally mixed with water.

Recently many of you know the return frustrations and the money I lost due to Sonlight not refunding me approx. $200 worth of books they said were damaged.

People here:Some insight into our return policies and practices - Sonlighters Club Forums, are now saying they too have received damaged books and are now concerned about SL's return policies.

I have documented my return story and actual pictures of the books sent back to me from SL saying they were damaged. Here:Sonlight...My *bad* experience

My hope is to help others from going thru the same problems I had to with Sonlight.

I'm really sorry you're so upset by Sonlight. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I haven't tried to return things to them, however.

I did want to suggest one thing. Every time I've seen you post (which is a lot now, understandbly) I cringe at the mention of the stained glasses. That's totally YOUR fault, NOT Sonlight's. You were the one dumping unknown science objects into your kitchen sink.

Yes, Sonlight didn't package the iron fillings well enough to not spill, but at most they'd be responsible for damage to other books in the box and other supplies in the box. How are they responsible for you dumping the iron fillings out on other objects?? Makes no sense whatsoever and really hurts your case against them.

I'm trying to help, truly, but when you rant about something like that it makes you seem unreasonable.

Besides that, I've looked at the pictures and I can see why they wouldn't accept the books with bent covers- they have to resell this stuff as new, they cannot possibly sell a bent book without the potential for another customer to complain.

They should accept the books with corners barely dinged, I think. Many books I buy brand new at a book store have dents and dings on the corners. I would focus your efforts on those books.

Really, just trying to help :001_smile:

I don't recall her asking SL to pay for the glasses. It was the added insult to injury. Not only did they not reinburse her for the books, but their inadequate packing made a big mess that she had to clean up, and in the process some of the mess caused damage to her glasses. Is she saying they are responsible, and must pay for her glasses? No. But they are holding her responsible for books that arrived at her house already damaged. Can't you see how frustrating that would be?

I'm really sorry you're so upset by Sonlight. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I haven't tried to return things to them, however.

I did want to suggest one thing. Every time I've seen you post (which is a lot now, understandbly) I cringe at the mention of the stained glasses. That's totally YOUR fault, NOT Sonlight's. You were the one dumping unknown science objects into your kitchen sink.

Yes, Sonlight didn't package the iron fillings well enough to not spill, but at most they'd be responsible for damage to other books in the box and other supplies in the box. How are they responsible for you dumping the iron fillings out on other objects?? Makes no sense whatsoever and really hurts your case against them.

I'm trying to help, truly, but when you rant about something like that it makes you seem unreasonable.

Besides that, I've looked at the pictures and I can see why they wouldn't accept the books with bent covers- they have to resell this stuff as new, they cannot possibly sell a bent book without the potential for another customer to complain.

They should accept the books with corners barely dinged, I think. Many books I buy brand new at a book store have dents and dings on the corners. I would focus your efforts on those books.

Really, just trying to help :001_smile:

Yes, and I see you have only made 18 posts here and 6 were to drum up votes for your SONLIGHT photo contest...*sweet smiles* Can you say "BIASED"??? and for what it's worth, I never asked SL for money for the stained glasses I was just making a point that they could maybe perhaps make an exception for me, since number one they had improper packaging which had already damaged 3 items, not my fault....sorry if you cringe when you see stained glasses, but maybe if you were in my shoes you'd look see it another way. I'm betting you would

The gesture they could make, by saying, "We are sorry, we can't issue a credit for them due to damage, but we would be happy to return them via media mail to you." would go far...... the additional insult of having to pay more for books you don't want is bad....

:iagree:

Nearly $900 is a lot to spend and then end up with this level of frustration. I am really sorry that you've had to deal with this.

I also noted that you DID NOT ASK them to do anything about your glasses (regardless of how it may have been interpreted by some :001_huh:), it is just yet another level of aggravation.

Feeling your stress over a good deal of money spent and lost.:grouphug:

lol, it's okay, Iron filings are part of one of the science kits they are like *iron sand* which cause a major household catastophe if improperly packaged which also scratch things (books) and can leave rust stains if accidentally mixed with water.

Boy, did I ever find this out the hard way last week! My son asked me to get the iron filings off his ceramic magnet, and after rubbing off all I could, I washed it off over a sink full of dishes. :glare: I had one pot, 12 utensils, and 7 (glass!) bowls covered in rust stains. I did get them off, eventually . . . but it took lots of cleaner and elbow grease.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on Sonlight returns. I've bought almost all of my SL books used - sounds like maybe that's a good thing!

Sorry it worked out this way for you. Thanks for posting the blog pictures. If I received one book with a creased or dinged corner like in your pictures, I probably wouldn't say anything (unless I was returning it, then I would say it came that way), but with as many as you took pictures of, if I got them that way originally I would have documented it and let them know. I guess it's differing expectations, I would have been very disappointed in that many dinged books & let them know right away. A couple I couldn't tell either though, but whether that's the picture or lighting or maybe something on the back cover, or maybe nothing at all (or maybe more scratches or something?) it's hard to say. Anyway, I know it's hard to be out that much money & I'm sorry.

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Yes, and I see you have only made 18 posts here and 6 were to drum up votes for your SONLIGHT photo contest...*sweet smiles* Can you say "BIASED"??? and for what it's worth, I never asked SL for money for the stained glasses I was just making a point that they could maybe perhaps make an exception for me, since number one they had improper packaging which had already damaged 3 items, not my fault....sorry if you cringe when you see stained glasses, but maybe if you were in my shoes you'd look see it another way. I'm betting you would

I do like Sonlight as a company. Maybe I am biased because I've had amazing customer service experiences with them. If I am then I am but when I read the posts about your books I'm coming at it from a business angle. If I were a homeschool curriculum company what would I do?

I think you need to reread my post. I really was actually trying to help you.

If you go back and read what I wrote I was agreeing that the books with the minimal damage on the corners should have been accepted back and I was saying focus on those.

I also noted that you DID NOT ASK them to do anything about your glasses (regardless of how it may have been interpreted by some :001_huh:), it is just yet another level of aggravation.

I know you're talking about my response. I didn't interpret it wrong at all. I know she said she wasn't asking for them to pay for it, but why bring it up then? She blames Sonlight for the damage to the glass but it wasn't Sonlight's fault. Their screwy packaging did cause damage to books and other materials, but they refunded her for those damages.

It doesn't help her complaint to Sonlight to mention that. It sounds unreasonable. Same with the creased books. The books are creased- you can easily see that in the pictures, I can understand why they don't want to accept damaged books.

The books with the corners slightly dinged- I don't call that damage at all and think it's a far stretch for anyone to. I think Sonlight was out of line to not accept those ones (based on what I can see in the pictures).

Edited by Ariana

Yes, I can identify with that. On the other hand, to expect a company to instantaneously agree to refund a customer $200 is equally unreasonable.

Actually...I had always taken note of the good parts of SL's return policy, but had never noticed this part. I honestly expect to be able to return anything for any reason (barring I wrote in it or spilled kool-aid on it or something) for a return of my money. _That_ is a good return policy...and most stores and online places that I deal with have this policy.

Guest Katia

It sounds unreasonable. Same with the creased books. The books are creased- you can easily see that in the pictures, I can understand why they don't want to accept damaged books.

Have you even read Carolyn's posts? I mean, seriously! SONLIGHT sent her these damaged books...she did not damage them. Of course you can see they are creased in the pictures; that is the point! They sent damaged books, made her pay postage to return the books to her, and they won't refund her money. There is no excuse for this.

It sounds unreasonable. Same with the creased books. The books are creased- you can easily see that in the pictures, I can understand why they don't want to accept damaged books.

Have you even read Carolyn's posts? I mean, seriously! SONLIGHT sent her these damaged books...she did not damage them. Of course you can see they are creased in the pictures; that is the point! They sent damaged books, made her pay postage to return the books to her, and they won't refund her money. There is no excuse for this.

Yes I did read her post. I read her blog, too.

She said:

Talk about petty! These books were not damaged! In fact 3 items were damaged by THEM when the iron fillings opened up inside the box before I got it and scruffed up 3 books! Now they are saying *I* did it. Luckily they have on file that I called and explained what happened and resent me new iron fillings.

Emphasis mine.

Quote:

I do like Sonlight as a company. Maybe I am biased because I've had amazing customer service experiences with them. If I am then I am but when I read the posts about your books I'm coming at it from a business angle. If I were a homeschool curriculum company what would I do?

I think you need to reread my post. I really was actually trying to help you.

If you go back and read what I wrote I was agreeing that the books with the minimal damage on the corners should have been accepted back and I was saying focus on those.

Quote:

I know you're talking about my response. I didn't interpret it wrong at all. I know she said she wasn't asking for them to pay for it, but why bring it up then? She blames Sonlight for the damage to the glass but it wasn't Sonlight's fault. Their screwy packaging did cause damage to books and other materials, but they refunded her for those damages.

It doesn't help her complaint to Sonlight to mention that. It sounds unreasonable. Same with the creased books. The books are creased- you can easily see that in the pictures, I can understand why they don't want to accept damaged books.

The books with the corners slightly dinged- I don't call that damage at all and think it's a far stretch for anyone to. I think Sonlight was out of line to not accept those ones (based on what I can see in the pictures).

Ariana, maybe your intentions was to help the OP. However, if you go back and re-read your post, with new eyes, you should see why the OP has taken offense to your post. You come across as condescending. It was as if you were blaming the OP and kicking her while she was down. I actually visualized you pointing your finger and rolling your eyes. :001_huh: