Menu

How do you handle it when things go wrong?

There are lots of things that have brought me to this point - today's sale falling through was just the icing on the cake.

A few months ago my dh said I don't handle stress like I used to. He's right - I don't. I used to be the type that was the strong one, always taking care of everything, marching on forward, etc. Now, I feel like I am a mess. I follow a pattern - the stress builds, something else happens, I lose it and cry hysterically, then I figure out what to do and work towards that.

My 16yo says the problem is that I think everything is my fault. It isn't that so much as I feel like I have to *fix* everything. And why not? If I don't, who will? I really do feel like the weight of the family's well-being rests on my shoulders. I am the problem-solver and "fixer" in the family.

My stress level is really starting to affect my daily life. I snap at people, get irritated at everything, lack patience with others, etc. I yell at my children. I got into an argument with my father tonight - he's under a lot of stress as well, but I can't be "nice." When I was in FL, my mother repeatedly pointed out that I was not being "nice" to my dh, or her, or my step-father. I know I wasn't being "nice", but I don't seem to know how to. How can you be "nice" when all of your mental and emotional energy is being used up dealing with the next crisis?

I feel so alone. And when I get irritated at everyone who tries to help but really isn't helping, I feel terrible about it and I end up in this vicious cycle of feeling like a horrible person which makes me more irritable and so on. My mother was here for 4 weeks helping me and the first week was great, but I spent the next 3 weeks wishing she'd go home and leave me alone and then feeling horrible that I felt that way.

How do you handle stress and negative life events without losing your mind? How do you "let go" of things? How do you get through bad times?

I also wanted to add:

Today the person who is buying the house and land that we lost in foreclosure called me because she couldn't find the water meter. I didn't realize how much that affected me until later. I don't want to hear about that house, I don't want to know who is buying it or how much they are enjoying it. THAT WAS MY HOUSE AND I LOST IT TO FORECLOSURE! My friend suggested I tell her and the RE agent (who called to find out who the power company was) to call the owners of the house (US Bank.):glare:

See what I mean? Now I am sitting here crying because of that stupid house. I can't go back and undo the foreclosure. (I am mad, though, that the people buying it offered $116,000 as a short sale offer months ago and the bank said no, but they are buying the house now for $116,000!!!!)

You're in mourning.

Take a deep breath and think about what you would say to a friend who came and described all these symptoms and then said she had just lost a loved one.

You lost your house. And houses mean so much more to us than just a place to store our stuff. They represent security. They represent the past and the future. It's no wonder you're having such a hard time.

I think you need to allow yourself to feel sad for awhile; but tell yourself that you are also going to begin to think about what comes next. Do you get any time for yourself? Do you get any time to just "lose it" without your whole family acting as audience?

We all go through down times and up times. This won't last forever; you will find yourself again.

Hugs!

You're in mourning.

Take a deep breath and think about what you would say to a friend who came and described all these symptoms and then said she had just lost a loved one.

You lost your house. And houses mean so much more to us than just a place to store our stuff. They represent security. They represent the past and the future. It's no wonder you're having such a hard time.

I think you need to allow yourself to feel sad for awhile; but tell yourself that you are also going to begin to think about what comes next. Do you get any time for yourself? Do you get any time to just "lose it" without your whole family acting as audience?

We all go through down times and up times. This won't last forever; you will find yourself again.

Hugs!

I hadn't looked at it like that - mourning. I guess I am mourning. Mourning the loss of my house, my business, my son (when we leave here and go to FL), our whole family identity, and our way of life.

I have been getting some time for myself, but not enough. Even when I was alone these past couple of weeks, I was worried about the dc at home with my mother (she doesn't handle them well - too much noise, mess, etc.)

I guess I feel like I *can't* lose it because everyone needs me so much. I am really tired of being the one who is needed - what do I do when I need someone to "carry" me?

Renee,

I don't have advice. I have empathy.

(((Hugs)))

I'm not sure of your specifics but I know that whatever leads to foreclosure makes you TIRED. Not sleepy-tired but weary, soul numbing TIRED.

You're done. You're fried. Put a fork in you.

OF COURSE you have limited/no resources to deal like you used to.

It's ok.

I still think you should have told that lady to call the bank and ask THEM where the water meter was! What utter and absolute gall to call YOU and ask you!

I am so sorry you are going through all this!

I think she just doesn't *get* how much it hurts. It isn't the physical house so much as the life, memories, and identity that went with it.

How do I get other people around me (my dh, my mother, my father) to understand how devastating all this had been for me? Maybe cut me a little more slack?

That is SOOOO easy. Tell them in a loud demanding voice. Also how I handle stuff like that.

Bless your heart.

I am so sorry for you, too. And I'm not great with words, but I would encourage you to read through the Psalms. For me, when I'm at my end (like when my mom unexpectedly passed away), I cry out to God, and He gives me comfort. I pray you will find rest and peace as you move on and make wonderful NEW memories. As much as our home seems to be part of our identity, it's really the precious people around us that mean the most.

Blessings to you,

That is SOOOO easy. Tell them in a loud demanding voice. Also how I handle stuff like that.

Bless your heart.

I've tried that. I get blank looks and patronizing remarks about how I need more sleep, or less caffeine, or more water. Or my father's comment tonight, "Don't get an attitude with me - I am just trying to help you.":glare:

Maybe I should go away for a month ALONE and see how everyone feels when I come back. It only took 24 hours with my dc for my father to admit that he didn't have a clue how I did it. (My dc aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but there are 5 of them 8 and under!)

Honestly, your post spoke directly to my heart. My life is so extremely difficult right now and I'm just so tired that some days I can barely function. My mom is nearing the end and I'm doing this all alone. I've let all the help go but get two sponge baths for mom and two nurse checks per week. That's it.

So a couple of days back my boys were being mouthy with me and I just literally exploded. And I am so upset with myself and wondering if something is wrong with me. Honestly, I'm just so beside myself with grief, mourning, exhaustion, etc. But I needed to read your post so I know that I, too, am normal, I'm just beyond stressed off and I've fallen off that proverbial end of the rope.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through. About the house - close friends of ours went through that and it was very, very hard. Funny thing is that they're now much happier, and they have even a nicer home now. I'm hoping the same for you.

I have felt the weight of the world on my shoulders and the tremendous pressures of everything with family as you speak, too. It's hard, very hard, but this season will pass and you'll be stronger because of it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I just took a stress test for you and your score is really high! Quite a news flash, I know, but I don't understand why everyone can't realize that all this does affect you, even though it is your personality to carry on and try to fix everything.

You do have a lot of stress on you right now. And the thing to do is to take one day at a time. It will pass. I know, I hear you saying that THIS is NOT what you wanted to hear. But from a mom of lots I know and especially with a new baby. I remember when my twins were born giving me 9 children 15 and under I felt just like you are now. EVERYTHING upset me. People, bills, things, noise, husband, kids, everything, everyone. It is hard. Just try to remember that when life gets too hard to stand, KNEEL. :grouphug: And keep coming back here and dump on us. We don't mind. Sit down, look at your kids and picture where you want to be 10 years from now and who you want to be and how you want to be remembered. Things will come into perspective.:001_smile:

I just took a stress test for you and your score is really high! Quite a news flash, I know, but I don't understand why everyone can't realize that all this does affect you, even though it is your personality to carry on and try to fix everything.

Yikes! I went and took one and it said that I have a 90% chance of developing an illness.

I took another and it said that I might benefit from intense psychological care. (My dc might agree with that! :lol:)

Two others said I have moderate stress. Those were not based on events but rather my feelings about life.

I think I will *stop* taking stress quizzes now!:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, your post spoke directly to my heart. My life is so extremely difficult right now and I'm just so tired that some days I can barely function. My mom is nearing the end and I'm doing this all alone. I've let all the help go but get two sponge baths for mom and two nurse checks per week. That's it.

So a couple of days back my boys were being mouthy with me and I just literally exploded. And I am so upset with myself and wondering if something is wrong with me. Honestly, I'm just so beside myself with grief, mourning, exhaustion, etc. But I needed to read your post so I know that I, too, am normal, I'm just beyond stressed off and I've fallen off that proverbial end of the rope.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through. About the house - close friends of ours went through that and it was very, very hard. Funny thing is that they're now much happier, and they have even a nicer home now. I'm hoping the same for you.

I have felt the weight of the world on my shoulders and the tremendous pressures of everything with family as you speak, too. It's hard, very hard, but this season will pass and you'll be stronger because of it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

(((Denise))) - I can't imagine what you are going through.

There are lots of things that have brought me to this point - today's sale falling through was just the icing on the cake.

A few months ago my dh said I don't handle stress like I used to. He's right - I don't. I used to be the type that was the strong one, always taking care of everything, marching on forward, etc. Now, I feel like I am a mess. I follow a pattern - the stress builds, something else happens, I lose it and cry hysterically, then I figure out what to do and work towards that.

My 16yo says the problem is that I think everything is my fault. It isn't that so much as I feel like I have to *fix* everything. And why not? If I don't, who will? I really do feel like the weight of the family's well-being rests on my shoulders. I am the problem-solver and "fixer" in the family.

My stress level is really starting to affect my daily life. I snap at people, get irritated at everything, lack patience with others, etc. I yell at my children. I got into an argument with my father tonight - he's under a lot of stress as well, but I can't be "nice." When I was in FL, my mother repeatedly pointed out that I was not being "nice" to my dh, or her, or my step-father. I know I wasn't being "nice", but I don't seem to know how to. How can you be "nice" when all of your mental and emotional energy is being used up dealing with the next crisis?

I feel so alone. And when I get irritated at everyone who tries to help but really isn't helping, I feel terrible about it and I end up in this vicious cycle of feeling like a horrible person which makes me more irritable and so on. My mother was here for 4 weeks helping me and the first week was great, but I spent the next 3 weeks wishing she'd go home and leave me alone and then feeling horrible that I felt that way.

How do you handle stress and negative life events without losing your mind? How do you "let go" of things? How do you get through bad times?

You have been reading my thoughts. This has been me for the last couple years. I am so drained all the time that the tiniest thing sets me off now with crankiness etc. No answers for you as I am struggling with this right now too.

There is nothing wrong with any of you. You are suffering from stress. The human body and mind can easily handle and bounce back from a single, severe stress even if it is very catastrophic but the chronic, cumulative stress, not so much. Stress it's de killar! Stress has become such a normal part of our lives and everyday experiences that we don't appreciate how draining it really is. And the irritation and aggitation, that just shows that you still have so fight left in you. Believe me, you do not want to know what it looks like when you don't have any fight left. And finally, while it is very draining to be constantly needed, you don't want to lose that either. I honestly believe that my mother died because she had reached a point where she felt that she was no longer needed. I know that sometimes the fact that I am needed is ALL that keeps me going.

Allow yourselves to grieve and cry and scream. Get it all out and then pick yourself up and shake yourself off and get on with the business of living. Accept that you are human and your are not perfect and you can only do what you can do until you can't. You can't do everything. You probably can't even do everything that you think you need to do. So don't worry about everything or even everything that you think you should do. Don't worry about what you have to do in ten minutes, or an hour or tomorrow. Just figure out what you have to do next. Then just do the next thing. That is all that you have to do is the next thing. A journey of a thousand miles and all that jazz. And of course, come here for support. I have yet, to come here with a single issue that someone couldn't relate to, or understand or help with, even if the help is only a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

I agree, you are in mourning, it's all piling up at once.... we never get enough time to ourselves in times like this, we just move on and try to fix the next thing.

I can relate more than you know, and can't really share..... maybe we can figure out somewhere to run away for the day to when you get down here. I could use it too! LOL!!

Hang in there..... and more :grouphug:

I am the same type - a fixer - and I've been in that place you're in right now. It is one thing to go into crisis mode and fix a crisis, something entirely different to live in that mode.

Chronic stress like this does make you sick. It is physically and mentally exhausting and your body cannot make its regular repairs or fight off illness in that state.

First, you need to focus on controlling things you can control. Also, try to focus on the small picture, whatever task is at hand at the moment. If you're like me, the looming stuff is distracting you from just completing the simple, every day things which, of course, leaves you with piles of half-done stuff that distracts you further. You don't have enough energy reserve to run on the hamster wheel after things you can't control. If you start hearing this in your head, it's a sign. Heed it. ;)

Second, delegate. Seriously. Make a list of what needs to get done, gather the family and say, "These are the things that are going on and still outstanding. DH, I need you to do X and make Y call tomorrow. DS, please take care of Z." Make sure you have shared your vision for the end goal, they honestly might not see how those pieces fit together. As Redudamom said, state your needs (in whatever tone of voice gets results). Make it clear that you cannot be the sole fixer in this kind of chaos.

Screen your calls. You just don't have to answer ever time the phone rings. If somebody is returning your call with an an answer that will check off a task, great, pick it up. If not, you can get back to them - or not - later. Screen your to-do list, too, for that matter. Ask yourself what the worst thing that will happen if X is not done. What would be the worst possible outcome if you didn't answer the calls about the water meter or power company? They would have found the answer themselves, by calling the appropriate agencies. The town knows where the water meter is. They read it, for Pete's sake. There can only be so many power possibilities in any given area. (I am a bit galled that anyone would call a former owner, regardless of the circumstances of sale, to ask these questions... the utter, bloody laziness of people is just astounding to me.)

When I was living with chronic stress, people (well meaning people) kept trying to tell me I needed to plan a day for myself, to unwind, do what *I* wanted to do, etc. To me, that would be another day lost to non-productivity, and the planning for it would just add to my to-do list. I did, however, take opportunities for some limited quiet time as they presented themselves - coffee with friends after our food pickup, etc. Make sure you avail yourself of such opportunities when they come along whether it's coffee or just taking a walk. They can be very refreshing and energizing.

Above all, just keep reminding yourself that this period is finite. It is. :grouphug:

Aside from doing my best to address the physical/hormonal changes that were occurring (in my 40's), my answer to your question is 100% spiritual and 100% Christian. After 3 years of daily prayer, meditation and study, I am a much calmer person. It didn't happen overnight.

If you'd like to explore this avenue, let me know, either here or via pm.

Beth

Renee, I think maybe you are the touchstone for your family and the weight of that is overwhelming. Do you feel that if you 'loose it' that everyone/everything will fall apart?

Can you talk to someone and just unload everything onto? If not, maybe get a pen and notebook and just start writing down everything that you can - be honest and even burn the pages afterwords if you need to.

((Huge cybehug))

I'm sorry, Renee. I understand how you feel. And I agree with the comments of the previous posters. I feel that way a lot, and I too am trying to find some way to cope with it all because I tend to get overwhelmed, even on good days. Several things I've been doing (and I'm not sure if they'd relate at all to your situation) is turning off the news (that can stress anyone out), making sure I'm getting enough sleep, making a point to enjoy something each day - even if it is saying to myself, "Wow, that's a beautiful sunset, or flower, or whatever" and just taking a moment to enjoy the colors, the scent or whatever it is. And I do try to spend a lot of time in prayer and the Word and put up verses on index cards all over the house that are encouraging.

Renee, I think maybe you are the touchstone for your family and the weight of that is overwhelming. Do you feel that if you 'loose it' that everyone/everything will fall apart?

Can you talk to someone and just unload everything onto? If not, maybe get a pen and notebook and just start writing down everything that you can - be honest and even burn the pages afterwords if you need to.

((Huge cybehug))

Thanks. I usually type it out here and then erase it away. No one wants to here my sob story again.

The reality is that my dh got to walk away from the trauma (and as a friend said) he has moved on. I don't get that luxury.

Everything *has* fallen apart - we are $100s of thousands in debt and we have no assets, we are moving to another state without my oldest son, and our life in FL isn't likely to be any more secure.

You've gotten a lot of good input re: grieving. A few practical suggestions:

1. Reason with yourself that since this level of stress is likely to make you sick and you can't afford that, that you'll take out some time now to prevent the illness that WILL make you take time--maybe a lot more time off.

2. Exercise. It is the very best mood modifier there is and it has great side effects. Do what you can ---20 min per day will help.

3. Get outside. We were made to be in nature. Get some outside time and look at the trees, the sky, the flowers. Listen for birds. Take some deep breaths.

4. Get enough sleep. If you're not doing that, commit yourself to sleep hygiene. (You can google that and come up with stuff that really does work.)

5. Write. Writing about stressful events significantly reduces the stress we feel toward those events.

6. Get social time. Make time for friends. Even if it's with your kids, as opposed to alone with friends, the time is restorative.

7. If you are so inclined, pray, read your favorite Scriptures, keep a prayer journal (could be the "writing" step) , go to church, sing.

I'm whole-heartedly agreeing with those who've said you are grieving. Be kind to yourself...there are big bleeding wounds in your spirit that need time to heal. And they will heal. Some will scar, but you will heal and be whole again someday.

My thought on you being the 'fixer.'

Quit.

Just take a vacation from being the ONE who keeps it all together. Let the kids make scrambled eggs for a few dinners or lunches. Tell dh that x, y, and z need to be dealt with, then FORGET those things. Don't answer the phone.

If you quit doing things for a week or two, someone will pick up the slack. It really sounds as if you care more than everyone else and everyone else would be just as happy with things slipping and sliding.

I've been in a similar situation and quitting it was THE best thing I did. No body died. No body went to jail. Eventually, we all moved on.

One thing that helped me was the advice from a wise friend...you are so busy doing for everyone else you've forgotten to do something nice for you. Today be nice to yourself.

You'd be surprised how much it helps.

when I read your post. I've been where you are. I was a fixer before I found out I had cancer in January. I've learned that the Lord is more than capable of fixing the people, messes, etc. of my life than I am. When I release control back to Him (and sometimes that can be a minute by minute thing), then I have peace. Learning to trust Him with EVERYTHING has been hard for me, but I'm learning. We're all a work in progress. I will pray that you can find some time to get alone with Him and just release some of these things that are truly out of your hands. If He's brought you to this place in your life, then He certainly can take care of all that comes with it. Wherever you are today, THIS is God's will for you. I know that's hard, trust me, but it is true. He will move in mighty ways in your situations. (He just paid off a huge radiation bill for us! My chest xray shows the cancer has significantly improved.) He just wants us to TRUST HIM!

I hope this ministers to you in the way it is intended.

Hugs and prayers,

Molly

Peace isn’t a place we live in.

PEACE is a person.

The house—and me—spins: laundry, school lessons, library books, basketball games, bills, phone calls, meals, dishes, women’s Bible Studies, diapers. Too often, I am dizzy: Anyone know how to get off? In the whirl of it all, I crave retreat, sanctuary, monastery.

On the milestone of my thirtieth birthday a few years ago, my sister-in-law presented me with a journal embossed with one simple word: PEACE. I cried. It was all I wanted. Just that one simple, frustratingly elusive word: PEACE. The homeschooling mother of (then) five young children, eight years of age and under, I was desperate, at a breaking point, for some place of serenity. I held the journal in my hands, lip trembling, tears streaming. PEACE. How could I find it? I had to find it.

I went for walks down through the woods, sat by the pond, journaled, prayed. Peace was short-lived, the angst tightening its relentless grip as I walked home: How could I fold art study into our school days? How could I make weekly, even monthly, date times with each of the children? How might I persuade the baby to sleep through the night so I could be a more attentive wife?

I went away to a cottage for a few days, read Gift from the Sea and soaked in the Psalms. Peace pooled around my toes, wetting me, quenching me…and then ebbed away again, lost at sea, as waves of worries flooded in: How could I balance my own creative, intellectual pursuits, my own spiritual growth, in the midst of the paramount endeavor of discipling these little people for the Lord’s glory?

I had thought somewhere quiet would ensure peace. It didn’t. I was still in my skin. Peace wasn’t a place I could find on a map, or even a place that I could create. Peace wasn’t a place to live in.

I came home to the noise, embraced the kids, and laughed loud and long. Peace wasn’t “out there.†He was here. Peace was a Person I could listen to.

No matter how boisterous and chaotic it gets in here, the Prince of Peace has moved in too, living here in the midst of this rambunctious, exuberant family.

In the rush and the roar of it all, I have to bend my ear to catch it:

“Listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for he speaks peace to His faithful people†(Ps. 85:8).

He leans down low and if I choose to listen carefully, over the cry of the baby, the scream of the toddler, the stomp of the disgruntled student, and the beep of the stove timer, I hear His voice, low and soft: Peace… Peace…Peace.

I crawl out of bed, ready to get dressed and head out, not to some rustic respite in the mountains somewhere, but into the fray of family living. For “the Lord of Peace Himself gives [me] His peace at all times, and in every situation†(2 Thess. 3:16).

How to find Peace in the crush of motherhood? Peace may come fleetingly as a reviving, necessary place, but, like a fog burning off in the heat of the day, peace as a place will dissipate. For enduring Peace, look for a Person whispering the word softly to your anxious heart: Peace, peace, peace. Seek a Person, the very Lord of Peace, who is willing to give you his very own abiding, unwavering peace.

Places come and go; tokens and pictures tucked in scrapbooks. Tickets and reservations are expensive, the cost of coffee adds up.

This Person, though? He will never leave you nor forsake you, and is close as breath upon your cheek. Peace is a Person with whom we live, keep company with, commune with.

Hear Him now, above the din? Peace. Peace.

Lord, I find Peace, wherever, whatever, when I live in You. Please, Lord. Today, let Your peace fall softly, come what may.

Posted by Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience