Menu

See what we just found under our back porch?

I hope the picture works. I've never posted one before!

My dogs found it, I went to see what they found, and my father in law shot it for me!! I. HATE. Rattlesnakes. We just killed a very young rattlesnake in our yard about a week ago. And now this, maybe she's the Mama. Anyway, nothing gets your blood moving, quite like a rattlesnake.

post-7861-13535082922446_thumb.jpg

post-7861-13535082922446_thumb.jpg

Rattlers are one of the top reasons we are moving away from here. We killed a 6 footer recently, and a 4 footer, and the kids saw two others under the house but we couldn't get to them to shoot. Our area is infested with them. We lost our poor dog to a snake bite on her muzzle.

Yup, I hate snakes. I am so sorry.

I hope the picture works. I've never posted one before!

My dogs found it, I went to see what they found, and my father in law shot it for me!! I. HATE. Rattlesnakes. We just killed a very young rattlesnake in our yard about a week ago. And now this, maybe she's the Mama. Anyway, nothing gets your blood moving, quite like a rattlesnake.

Now, see, rattlesnakes are number one on my (short) list of cons for the move to TX. Ew, ew, ew!!!

Wow! We have lots of snakes here and I don't really mind them too much. I know how to keep away from them, kill them when needed and where to keep my eye out for them. I am told we have rattlesnakes, but I have never seen one. We do see cottom mouths and copper heads and especially black rat/ chicken snakes. Personally, snakes don't bother me that much - but I'm sorry for you!

Rattlesnakes are territorial so when one dies sometimes you will get a larger influx. So keep your eyes open and wear shoes.

What a horrible thought! When I was little, I was too afraid to kill a spider. I was scared its friends would find out and come after me. :lol:

We have had rattlesnake warnings circulating around this area, Texas Hill Country. I guess I need to mow the grass to be able to spot them easier, it's always hard to see anything when your grass is 2 feet tall. :lol:

Except when the grass is tall enough to sway when the critters are moving it.:tongue_smilie:

We have had rattlesnake warnings circulating around this area, Texas Hill Country. I guess I need to mow the grass to be able to spot them easier, it's always hard to see anything when your grass is 2 feet tall. :lol:

Except when the grass is tall enough to sway when the critters are moving it.:tongue_smilie:

Yes. And the snakes prefer tall grass. Keep it mowed.

Hey KLynn and other Central TX ladies- I recieved this from one of my homeschool groups yesterday:

Hospitals across Central Texas say they're seeing an alarming increase in rattlesnake bites. Hays County treated five people for the bites in recent weeks. Travis County reported 11 rattlesnake bites in the last three months.

I received this warning today 6-22. Also a close friend said that a child from her church (Bulverde) was bitten & is hospitalized.

Here is the site for the warning. http://www.keyetv.com/news/local/story/Drought-provoking-snake-bites-in-Central-Texas/kbcfxUl030SXUd9VzBx1lw.cspx

Several people responded to this email, saying they have had rattlers in their yards and garages lately. And my boy is at camp playing in the woods! I haven't seen a rattler in over 20 yrs. I think I'll stay inside this summer!!!

We have a creek behind the house, but so far, no copperheads or venomous water snakes. I have seen many black snakes, I grew up afraid of snakes cause my dad hunted them, brought them home, and killed them on the back porch - he used to have us "help"him skin them.

So to get over my fear, I recently caught a backyard black snake and now I am good. I want them in our yard, kids know to stay away, everyone lives in peace.

"I felt sad to see that dead snake. It looks like a beautiful animal.

And yes, I've had some experience with rattlesnakes. They're really not that dangerous if you leave them alone. "

Seriously?

I've seen adults who have had to have their leg split open, from knee to ankle, so that it would not swell so much it caused the leg to have to be amputated.

If it would do that to an adult, I'd hate to think what it would do to my 6 year old son. This was underneath my back porch. The 4th poisonous snake we've killed in the last 2 weeks. 2 rattlers, and 2 copperheads.

They really are that dangerous. For fun, you might google rattlesnake bite, and click on images. Surf through a few pages of those pictures. Now picture my kids. Yeah, I'm not feeling any sadness, just thankfulness that we shot it before it had a chance to hurt one of us.

KlynnTX, I hear you. I would be afraid for my kids if we EVER saw a venomous snake in our yard. My son likes to venture down one the banks of the creek, and it wigs me out. My kids are a bit older, and would run from a snake; nonetheless, if I saw a snake that could endanger my child, I would kill it myself.