Menu

Dairy Free Ice Cream with Coconut Milk??

I need a recipe for ice cream made from coconut milk for dd's birthday party. She is allergic to milk and most soy milk ice creams taste, well, weird. I got a recipe here last year for coconut milk. But, I cant find it this year. Anyone help me please

I don't have one for Coconut, but if she can have rice milk....I had some good rice milk icecream...so maybe that's a possibility. Also, if you do a search for "coconut" there was one person on here who I saw gave this to her child as a treat on Saturdays, I think? Maybe she makes it:-)

Carrie

This doesn't have coconut milk, and I've never tried it. But we were at a fund-raiser over the weekend and there was a beautiful copy of Raw: The UNcookbook by Juliano. And it had this recipe for "ice cream" that actually looked pretty good (in the pictures).

Cashew Gelato

2 cups raw cashew butter

1 1/2 cups maple syrup

2/3 chopped almonds

carob powder (optional)

Mix ingredients, and freeze in individual serving bowls [i wonder why it needs to be "individual" bowls, seems like a hassle].

Anyway, I've never tried it. I hope she's not allergic to nuts. Might be something to try some time even if not for the party.

Bill

This comes from Needleroozer's blog. I know she's posted it on the boards in the past. I've never tried it because my kids hate the coconut ice cream I've bought at the HFS.

The basic vanilla coconut milk ice cream

4 cups coconut milk

3/4 cup granulated sugar (Papa likes superfine)

pinch of salt

1 TBSP vanilla extract

1/2 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise, and scraped*

Stir the coconut milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and vanilla and freeze in an electric or hand operated ice cream freezer.

Yields about 1.5t quarts

*throw all of your scraped beans into a jar, and fill it with sugar. Vanilla sugar is wonderful to bake/cook with.

Okay, now for some variations.

For more of a coconut flavor, lessen the vanilla or leave out the bean, and add some coconut. Yum!

For orange sherbet, instead of vanilla, add 1 TBSP of orangel oil, and some orange zest. If you make a batch of this, and a batch of vanilla, you have the makings for a Creamsickle! THe kids love this combo.

You could also use lemon oil and zest, throw in berries, etc.

We always do this in our old fashioned hand crank ice cream maker, and it is just wonderful to be able to have the real taste of ice cream, without the dairy.

I was recently in Wegman's. They had a growing selection of dairy-free cold treats. I purchased Julie's Organic Sorbet pops. But they also had ice cream bars and some other things.

I have bought Rice Dream, and do like it a lot, but wouldn't serve it to a large group due to the cost. They have different flavors, too.

For coconut ice cream, what I have done, and my dd loves, is to buy coconut milk yogurt, and freeze it. She likes the texture better when it is frozen. (I actually freeze it in two smaller containers, but she's only 3.)

I'd be interested in the coconut milk ice cream recipe, though. I'm always up for something new!

We buy Purely Decadent ice cream made with coconut milk - it is so amazingly delicious that I cannot possible convey its wonderfulness in this lone post. ;)

Here's a link:

It's at Wegmans, too. The soy ones are awesome, too. I eat dairy and don't have any problems with it, but I prefer these.

Do you have a food processor or high powered blender (like Vitamix)? I put a 1lb (or close) bag of frozen fruit in my food processor, 1 can of coconut milk, and some sugar (depends on the fruit and your personal taste -- sometimes just a teaspoon or two, sometimes up to 1/3 C or so) and blend till smooth. This is best served almost immediately -- or stuck in the freezer for half an hour or less -- but it makes a great ice cream-like treat.

Many fruits work well -- any berries or berry combination, mango, peaches...

I know it may not be exactly what you're looking for to accompany birthday cake, but hopefully it'll be useful for you at some point. My kids think this is a marvelous treat, and I continue to call it "ice cream" and ignore the fact that it's really just fruit! :)

DS used to be allergic to dairy (outgrew around age 5) and needed some serious fattening up. (Still does. Super skinny.)

I just used traditional "gelato" or egg-free ice cream recipes, but used coconut milk. I never had a problem with them not setting up or not tasting good.

I found that the finished product didn't have a sharp coconut flavor unless I added coconut extract.

The basic vanilla coconut milk ice cream

4 cups coconut milk

3/4 cup granulated sugar (Papa likes superfine)

pinch of salt

1 TBSP vanilla extract

1/2 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise, and scraped*

Stir the coconut milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and vanilla and freeze in an electric or hand operated ice cream freezer.

Yields about 1.5t quarts

*throw all of your scraped beans into a jar, and fill it with sugar. Vanilla sugar is wonderful to bake/cook with.

Okay, now for some variations.

For more of a coconut flavor, lessen the vanilla or leave out the bean, and add some coconut. Yum!

For orange sherbet, instead of vanilla, add 1 TBSP of orangel oil, and some orange zest. If you make a batch of this, and a batch of vanilla, you have the makings for a Creamsickle! THe kids love this combo.

You could also use lemon oil and zest, throw in berries, etc.

We always do this in our old fashioned hand crank ice cream maker, and it is just wonderful to be able to have the real taste of ice cream, without the dairy.

Mmmmmmmm...bet you could add some pineapple to this too. :tongue_smilie:

This is the recipe I use.

1 can coconut milk

1/3 cup sugar

1 tbs vanilla (I make my own vanilla so I am generous with it)

pinch of salt

Heat coconut milk and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add pinch of salt. Allow to cool and add vanilla. Chill for several hours then make in ice cream maker. It will be soft serve. Top with homemade chocolate syrup.

Melissa

allgeric to dairy

• 3 months later...
Do you have a food processor or high powered blender (like Vitamix)? I put a 1lb (or close) bag of frozen fruit in my food processor, 1 can of coconut milk, and some sugar (depends on the fruit and your personal taste -- sometimes just a teaspoon or two, sometimes up to 1/3 C or so) and blend till smooth. This is best served almost immediately -- or stuck in the freezer for half an hour or less -- but it makes a great ice cream-like treat.

Many fruits work well -- any berries or berry combination, mango, peaches...

I know it may not be exactly what you're looking for to accompany birthday cake, but hopefully it'll be useful for you at some point. My kids think this is a marvelous treat, and I continue to call it "ice cream" and ignore the fact that it's really just fruit! :)

I can do this in about 10 min, & compared to all the store bought dairy-free icecream dh has tried, this has been his hands-down favorite.

I use a cheapy blender, about 1/2 a can of coconut milk (only because the whole can won't fit), & then I add sugar & frozen fruit to taste.

It's decent enough that I've licked the spoon before. And I don't try new things, so that's a significant statement.

I was recently in Wegman's. They had a growing selection of dairy-free cold treats. I purchased Julie's Organic Sorbet pops. But they also had ice cream bars and some other things.

I have bought Rice Dream, and do like it a lot, but wouldn't serve it to a large group due to the cost. They have different flavors, too.

For coconut ice cream, what I have done, and my dd loves, is to buy coconut milk yogurt, and freeze it. She likes the texture better when it is frozen. (I actually freeze it in two smaller containers, but she's only 3.)

I'd be interested in the coconut milk ice cream recipe, though. I'm always up for something new!

There is such a thing as Coconut Yogurt?? I have never heard of this... where do you buy it?

We love coconut ice cream around here. It's a bit sweet, but mix in some cherries or other fruit into your ice cream freezer and it's great.

Margaret

I need a recipe for ice cream made from coconut milk for dd's birthday party. She is allergic to milk and most soy milk ice creams taste, well, weird. I got a recipe here last year for coconut milk. But, I cant find it this year. Anyone help me please

Vanilla ice "cream" recipe midway down the page here. The woman has written an entire book on the subject, literally.