Menu

What would you consider the idea law re. cell phones?

So a recent report (google girls!) found that many Americans still admit to texting while driving. How on earth can anyone text and drive at the same time? Anyway

Would you support a law banning texting while driving? How about a law banning talking on the cell phone while driving? Would you consider such a law a serious infringement on your freedom, or useful safety measure?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a recent report (google girls!) found that many Americans still admit to texting while driving. How on earth can anyone text and drive at the same time? Anyway

Would you support a law banning texting while driving? How about a law banning talking on the cell phone while driving? Would you consider such a law a serious infringement on your freedom, or useful safety measure?

Banning texting- yes

Banning talking on the cell phone- no

Considering numerous studies have shown that talking on the cell phone while driving is as bad as drunk driving (some show it's worse), yes, in the name of public safety (your rights not interfering with my safety), I'm all in favor of banning all cell phone use in all forms while driving.

I don't support any cell phone bans. Unless the laws include a ban on changing radio stations/cds, bickering children, GPS fiddling, searching for toll change, or eating a hamburger (which I most certainly do not want to see happen!), cell phone bans are unfair.

Reckless driving is reckless driving, whether it involves a phone or reading the newspaper in bumper to bumper traffic or scarfing down breakfast at 60mph.

I don't support any cell phone bans. Unless the laws include a ban on changing radio stations/cds, bickering children, GPS fiddling, searching for toll change, or eating a hamburger (which I most certainly do not want to see happen!), cell phone bans are unfair.

Reckless driving is reckless driving, whether it involves a phone or reading the newspaper in bumper to bumper traffic or scarfing down breakfast at 60mph.

Yep, while they're at it, many of the things you listed should also be banned for the driver... either that or the drunk driving ban should be lifted. It's only fair - considering the stats.

We can try to drive safely, but no amount of trying can always protect us from the other driver's lack thereof... Accidents are one thing, easily preventable accidents are another.

:iagree:

Amen!

:iagree:

eta: there are a lot of areas where we need to just enforce the laws we already have!!!!

Having recently been in two near misses where the other driver was talking on the cell phone and paying absolutely no attention to the road, I would be in total support of banning texting and talking on the cell while driving.

It all comes down to accountability. What's so important to talk about that it can't wait until the driver's destination is reached? And if it's a dire emergency, pull over!

Yep, while they're at it, many of the things you listed should also be banned for the driver... either that or the drunk driving ban should be lifted. It's only fair - considering the stats.

We can try to drive safely, but no amount of trying can always protect us from the other driver's lack thereof... Accidents are one thing, easily preventable accidents are another.

I disagree that the drunk driving ban should be lifted or that those are "easily preventable."

Now if we want to sift thru the "studies" about cell phone use, that can be a fun afternoon project. :)

How on earth can anyone text and drive at the same time?

I can't even text while sitting in a chair in the living room. I have yet to figure out how to initiate a text msg. I have responded to one, once. :D

So, I am all for banning texting while driving.

Having recently been in two near misses where the other driver was talking on the cell phone and paying absolutely no attention to the road, I would be in total support of banning texting and talking on the cell while driving.

It all comes down to accountability. What's so important to talk about that it can't wait until the driver's destination is reached? And if it's a dire emergency, pull over!

Having been in one near miss where the driver just wasn't paying attention and one direct hit where the delivery driver just didn't bother looking my way [neither of which included a cell phone], I am in total support of banning stupid inattentive people from driving.

Having been in one near miss where the driver just wasn't paying attention and one direct hit where the delivery driver just didn't bother looking my way [neither of which included a cell phone], I am in total support of banning stupid inattentive people from driving.

Maybe they're stupid and inattentive because they have brain damage from constantly using cell phones.

I would suggest looking up the Israeli and Swiss studies linking cell phone use to brain cancer. Some day cell phones are going to be the new tobacco.

Maybe they're stupid and inattentive because they have brain damage from constantly using cell phones.

I would suggest looking up the Israeli and Swiss studies linking cell phone use to brain cancer. Some day cell phones are going to be the new tobacco.

huh.

I thought they were stupid and inattentive cuz they received a full round of vaccinations.

Or ate food cooked in plastic containers.

Or ate carcinogen-filled BBQ.

Or were subject to a polluted atmosphere from the concrete kilns nearby.

Or ate grass as a kid w/ pesticides sprayed on them.

Or drove behind a vehicle emitting noxious gasses w/ their window rolled down.

Or have been eating too much nutritionless fast food.

Or ate margarine instead of butter.

sorry, i still don't think it should be illegal.

That, or all the above should be illegal to make it fair....

Bring on the studies. Life is risky.

huh.

I thought they were stupid and inattentive cuz they received a full round of vaccinations.

sorry, i still don't think it should be illegal.

That, or all the above should be illegal to make it fair....

Bring on the studies. Life is risky.

Not even going to go there.

Baa.

Banning texting- yes

Banning talking on the cell phone- no

:iagree: My dh is self-employed and on the phone and in the car a lot. It would cut his productive time to almost nothing if he couldn't talk while driving. Granted I think people should use common sense. If YOU (rhetorical you) get distracted while driving don't use the phone.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would support a law banning texting while driving.

I would NOT support a law banning talking on the phone. I use a headset, and I like to call my friends back East when I'm on a long, boring straightaway (there are lots of these out west). But I don't do this while driving in town when I need to be more alert. I think I should be responsible to use my own discretion.

My personal (and probably not to popular) opinion is that talking on a cell phone is no more dangerous than talking with a passenger. A conversation is a conversation. That being said, I absolutely think that it should be mandatory for people to use hands free technology - whether it be speaker phone, earpiece, bluetooth, etc. You need both hands available when driving.

And I've almost been hit more times by people grooving along to their music (or searching for sippy cups, or yelling at misbehaving kids, or in a rush because we live in NJ and people drive like idiots, or....you get the idea) than by people on phones. Inattention is not specific to cell phone usage.

Some states already have laws banning hand-held cell phone use while driving. You can use a hands-free method of talking on your cell phone, but that's it.

Personally, I think it's an excellent law.

Cat

Some states already have laws banning hand-held cell phone use while driving. You can use a hands-free method of talking on your cell phone, but that's it.

Personally, I think it's an excellent law.

Cat

Unfortunately, hands free isn't any safer than hand held.

Driving while using a hands-free device is not safer than using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies.[2][3] epidemiological,[4][5] simulation,[7] and meta-analysis[9][10]. The increased "cognitive workload" involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk.[13][14][15] One notable exception to that conclusion is a study by headset manufacturer Plantronics, which found 71 percent of the test subjects steered more accurately, 100 percent had faster brake reaction times, and 92 percent maintained a more consistent speed when using a headset versus handheld.[16] The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free. Dialing a cell phone is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, [17] and hands-free devices that offer voice-dialing may reduce or eliminate that increased risk.

Disclaimer- I haven't read the entire wiki article, but the section on hands-free driving is accurate based on my knowledge of the literature.

I haven't seen any CA responders yet but it is illegal here to text or use the cell while driving with the exception of hands free.

I actually do support it (surprising since I'm all about less laws ;)). You can be pulled over for doing either. The first infraction is a $20 ticket. I think subsequent tickets are $50 each.

huh.

OK, that was just plain funny. :D

I agree that there are LOTS of things people shouldn't do when they drive...like put on mascara, beat their kids, use their laptop, smoke, engage in sexual activity (all of which I have personally witnessed). People eat in their cars, men shave, kids fight, movies are playing, radios are blaring, etc. etc. etc.

I was rear-ended by a girl changing her radio station. I would not mind if they mandated hands-free, I guess. But the bottom line is that cell phone is just as (or no more) risky than all those other distracting behaviors. Other than driving with both hands on the wheel, no noise whatsoever, and completely alone...there are going to be distractions. Let's not pick on cell phones.

But the bottom line is that cell phone is just as (or no more) risky than all those other distracting behaviors. Other than driving with both hands on the wheel, no noise whatsoever, and completely alone...there are going to be distractions. Let's not pick on cell phones.

Those are all risky. But a big difference is that (most) people spend a tiny fraction of their time changing a radio station, or putting on mascara. Many people spend ALL of their time on the phone when they are driving. That magnifies the risk dramatically.

I call these "mama get the hammer, there's a fly on papa's head" laws.

Reckless driving (defined as any activity causing a collision or unsafe driving conditions) is ALREADY ILLEGAL. Passing laws against specific behaviours just costs money and time that could be better spend ENFORCING already-existant laws.

Those are all risky. But a big difference is that (most) people spend a tiny fraction of their time changing a radio station, or putting on mascara. Many people spend ALL of their time on the phone when they are driving. That magnifies the risk dramatically.

To me, it is more important where your EYES are...putting on mascara requires taking your eyes off the road whereas talking on the cellphone does not (I am against texting while driving...not even sure how one would do that!).

Not even going to go there.

Baa.

well of course you're not ---"there" is a mighty big place w/ a $#!tload of variables.

It seems rather selfish to insist on being allowed to do whatever one wants because it would cut into their fun or productivity. The roads are shared by all of us. Operating a car shouldn't be taken lightly. Distracted driving of any type should be discouraged.

yeah.

It seems selfish to insist on being allowed to educate one's child however one wants because it would cut into their control freakish parenting. The children are part of a larger community that will interact with EVERYONE. Educating a child shouldn't be taken lightly. Private education by uncertified teachers of any type should be discouraged.

yeah --makes a lot of sense.

Some people must be insane or highly talented to be able to text and drive/ to be able to homeschool their own children. I can barely change the station on the radio and drive/ manage my own children after school .

Since some people can't do it, we'll make it illegal.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/GeneralPsychiatry/11949

Which is not to say that it should therefore be illegal. I'm not sure what I think about legality.

based on 41 people???

out of how many million???

Unfortunately, hands free isn't any safer than hand held.

Disclaimer- I haven't read the entire wiki article, but the section on hands-free driving is accurate based on my knowledge of the literature.

Disclaimer: I stopped reading after this:

The American National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says that the distraction created by the use of a cellular telephone while driving is similar to that associated with other distractions in increasing crash risk. However, the data are insufficient to indicate the magnitude of the safety problem.

I support banning whatever electronic device use the stats show increase accident rates. You have the right to kill or wound yourself, but not anyone else. What ever happened to thinking to yourself?

I suggest we ban CARS, lol!

unfortunately, the state rates often don't include those who, uh, don't get into accidents cuz they can handle communication in a vehicle successfully.

and to go back to the homeschool analogy: you have the right to screw up your own education, but not anyone else's. Experts and educational organizations across the nation agree that homeschooling is NOT a viable option for children. Just because SOME students are successful doesn't mean it should be LEGAL for heaven's sake.

How about instead of banning them, if a person is at fault in a crash and they are found to have been using a cell phone at the time of the crash then their fine/penalty/points whatever is doubled. I'm sure their would be problems with a law like this, but it would attempt to only penalize the person that uses a cellphone and causes a crash.

I haven't seen any CA responders yet but it is illegal here to text or use the cell while driving with the exception of hands free.

The first infraction is a $20 ticket. I think subsequent tickets are $50 each.

Did they change it? We moved shortly from CA shortly after the law came into effect. I thought it was a secondary infraction. ie they have to pull you over and ticket for something else before they can ticket for talking on a cell phone.

Hearing aid users are exempt and I wear hearing aids.

How about instead of banning them, if a person is at fault in a crash and they are found to have been using a cell phone at the time of the crash then their fine/penalty/points whatever is doubled. I'm sure their would be problems with a law like this, but it would attempt to only penalize the person that uses a cellphone and causes a crash.

just make at-fault penalties a whole lot heftier across the board.

and you don't have too --there's already enough evidence about why this isn't any worse than other distractions.

No, that's not true. There isn't good evidence about magnitude of risk comparing phone use and other distractions. That does NOT mean there is evidence that it isn't worse.

And the comparison of hand-held to hands-free is an entirely different issue.

Did they change it? We moved shortly from CA shortly after the law came into effect. I thought it was a secondary infraction. ie they have to pull you over and ticket for something else before they can ticket for talking on a cell phone.

Hearing aid users are exempt and I wear hearing aids.

It is a primary infraction. They can definitely pull you over just for that. In fact, a friend of ours got pulled over while talking to my dh on his cell phone.:tongue_smilie:

I would prefer if the government does not further restrict my rights...in all cases.

Is it really a *right* to engage in an activity which has been proven dangerous to the other drivers around you? Talking on the cell phone while driving is a right?:confused:

Inserting homeschooling into the argument seems like a stretch. There is evidence that talking on the phone while driving increases the chance of an accident.

like a stretch?? but there's evidence that homeschooling fails and/or increases the chances that children can fall way behind or not get the proper intervention they might at a public school surrounded by professionals 8 hours a day.

There's also PLENTY of evidence that [insert the bazillion other variables here] increases the chance of an accident.

And I have evidence in this thread that some people think conducting business while driving (via using their cell phone) is more important than considering the safety of themselves and others.

nope-- you inferred that.

What you have evidence of is that some people think they can safely conduct business on a phone while driving. That means WITHOUT thinking it is "more important" than the safety of others. Don't put words in their posts and count it as "evidence."

I will agree that creating more laws isn't always the answer. Maybe educating people on the dangers would help. It seems too many people are unaware of it.

spoken like a true NEA advocate :D

{{eta: but I do agree w/ you here, lol!}}

No, that's not true. There isn't good evidence about magnitude of risk comparing phone use and other distractions. That does NOT mean there is evidence that it isn't worse.

And the comparison of hand-held to hands-free is an entirely different issue.

agreed and agreed.

I'm fine w/ :

There isn't good evidence about magnitude of risk comparing phone use and other distractions.

Is it really a *right* to engage in an activity which has been proven dangerous to the other drivers around you? Talking on the cell phone while driving is a right?:confused:

Where has this particular distraction been proven any more dangerous than the others??

:iagree: My dh is self-employed and on the phone and in the car a lot. It would cut his productive time to almost nothing if he couldn't talk while driving. Granted I think people should use common sense. If YOU (rhetorical you) get distracted while driving don't use the phone.

I would bet that everyone who texts or dials while driving says they are not distracted when they drive.

WHEHEW!!! Give this woman a medal. Finally, someone gets it!

Where has this particular distraction been proven any more dangerous than the others??

It hasn't. It may not be. Why does it matter? How is drunk driving different? Should we legalize drunk driving if putting on mascara is just as dangerous?

BTW, I have not taken a position on cell phone legislation. I am not arguing for or against it. Just want to be sure the facts aren't misrepresented.

A Comparison of the Cell Phone Driver and the Drunk Driver

David L. Strayer University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah

Frank A. Drews

University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah

Dennis J. Crouch

University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah

Objective: The objective of this research was to determine the relative impairment associated with conversing on a cellular telephone while driving. Background: Epidemiological evidence suggests that the relative risk of being in a traffic accident while using a cell phone is similar to the hazard associated with driving with a blood alcohol level at the legal limit. The purpose of this research was to provide a direct comparison of the driving performance of a cell phone driver and a drunk driver in a controlled laboratory setting. Method: We used a high-fidelity driving simulator to compare the performance of cell phone drivers with drivers who were intoxicated from ethanol (i.e., blood alcohol concentration at 0.08% weight/volume). Results: When drivers were conversing on either a handheld or hands-free cell phone, their braking reactions were delayed and they were involved in more traffic accidents than when they were not conversing on a cell phone. By contrast, when drivers were intoxicated from ethanol they exhibited a more aggressive driving style, following closer to the vehicle immediately in front of them and applying more force while braking. Conclusion: When driving conditions and time on task were controlled for, the impairments associated with using a cell phone while driving can be as profound as those associated with driving while drunk. Application: This research may help to provide guidance for regulation addressing driver distraction caused by cell phone conversations.

As much as I agree with Rebecca about the dumb laws, I have to say that I agree with the fact that it is not really a right.

A privilege maybe, but not a right.

It is sad that we need rules to protect our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness because others take chances with it.

If I get in a car smashed drunk and kill my entire family and another family - I am going to jail.

Everyone will be mad at me.

What if I am the conductor of a train and text message all night long and am distracted and cause an accident that kills others and myself?

What if I am driving and dialing or texting and cause an accident that kills my family and another family?

Is it somehow less awful because I was not drinking prior?

I think driving and being on the cell phone would be ok if people were less casual about it.

But we have become so used to it that in a torrential downpour, while doing 60 mph, folks are texting!!!!!!

Even if some people are better at multitasking than others, it stands to reason that doing 2 things at once is more distracting to one's ability to fully pay attention to every detail than doing 1 thing.

There you go!

That's the bottom line.

Well said.

like a stretch?? but there's evidence that homeschooling fails and/or increases the chances that children can fall way behind or not get the proper intervention they might at a public school surrounded by professionals 8 hours a day.[/b]

Hmmmmm.....What about car schooling?

Is it more dangerous than schooling at home?!

We do a lot of recitation in the car.........

We lived there for three years. If the phone rang, either the non-driver answered or you let it ring. If the driver had to talk on the phone, the they pulled over before they used the phone.

There might be some small fraction of the time when the driver needs to talk (only adult in the car calling 911 to report an emergency maybe?) but most of the time it is for convenience.