Menu

swimsuits for dds

i cannot find swimsuits i like for dds age 4 and 6. did anyone get anything they liked this year? requirements are that they be one piece and have a little bit thicker strap, the thin ones cut in. also, no halter, those pull on your neck. the only ones i have found that i like are lands end and they are twice what i usually spend! any suggestions?

i cannot find swimsuits i like for dds age 4 and 6. did anyone get anything they liked this year? requirements are that they be one piece and have a little bit thicker strap, the thin ones cut in. also, no halter, those pull on your neck. the only ones i have found that i like are lands end and they are twice what i usually spend! any suggestions?

If you like the Lands' End, check at your Sears to see if they have them there. I bought some for my dds' there and they were 30% off. I have to say, I like their tankinis, since they are very modest and accommodate a lot of growing (we get far more use out of them).

An alternative is to look at Sam's Club. They carry Speedo one-piece suits for about $11 or $12.

thank you! good tips! i never would have thought of sears. we don't have a sams membership, but maybe someone can let me in. i have also thought the tankinis would be good for going potty. do they stay put..my tankinis float up in the water.

thank you! good tips! i never would have thought of sears. we don't have a sams membership, but maybe someone can let me in. i have also thought the tankinis would be good for going potty. do they stay put..my tankinis float up in the water.

My daughter loves tankinis. They are great for going to the bathroom and, as Brigitte said, they fit longer.

That said, we had to go to Lands End for ours, as dd requires widely different top and bottom sizes (10 on top for length and 6x on bottom). We don't have a problem with them riding up.

Lands' End choices disappointed us this year.

Happily, Target accommodated both our style preferences, and our wallet ! (We, also, prefer the wider straps.)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=/qid=/ref=br_1_1/180-5225634-3050458?ie=UTF8&node=404355011&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=404355011&rank=salesrank&asin=B001RBTTKS&rh=&page=2

Well, I bet that won't work as a link. So just go online to http://www.target.com, and navigate to girls' swimwear.

Hope you find what you want !

If you like the Lands' End, check at your Sears to see if they have them there. I bought some for my dds' there and they were 30% off. I have to say, I like their tankinis, since they are very modest and accommodate a lot of growing (we get far more use out of them).

An alternative is to look at Sam's Club. They carry Speedo one-piece suits for about $11 or $12.

Get to Sears QUICK or they will be gone. I bought 2 suits for myself last weekend. It was hard to find my style/size because so many of them were GONE!

we ordered ours from LLBean this year. Kohls had nice styles like what you want, but they were out of dd's size. Target and Walmart were totally not appropriate in what they had for dd's size. Sears was nearly sold out of everything. If you have an Academy Sports, you might try there.

We've always bought from Lands End - but last year I waited too late for a trip we had coming up, so we went to Target. I have to say - I was really pleased. The girls had to try each suit on (they all fit totally differently from one another) - but the suits wore well, dried quickly, and didn't ride up like I figured they would. After our vacation, we went back and bought a few more.

We bought a couple suits for my older daughter from Old Navy - again, had to try them on - but we were happy with them.

We'll probably do the same this year. :)

Dd has Lands' End tankinis that I just love. They're cute and modern, easy to use the restroom, but the straps are wide and comfy and the tops come down *well* past the top of the bottoms, so even though they're two-piece suits (which, as I said, makes using the restroom *much* easier), they cover as much or more than most one-pieces. (A trick for getting an even longer suit is to go up a size and buy the "slim".)

LE also has some decent one-pieces, but I prefer the ease and fit of a two-piece (as long as it doesn't mean her tummy is showing).

I've purchased suits from http://mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

since my kids have been on swim team. They are a bit more pricey, but now I am spoiled by their good fit and buy them anyway. The inexpensive speedos at Costco and Sam's club fit like a cheap suit but they are ok. As my girls have gotten older, the more expensive ones are better at hugging the body with no gaps revealing private parts after getting soaked. Little girls are are unaware of exposure making me like the more huggy type so they can just be little girls and play and not have mommy fuss over them.

My sister, who has 4 teen agers girls, likes the speedo type (there are many brands that fit the same), because her girls are larger breasted and they flatten them out holding it together modestly and without jiggles, yet they appear attractive and shapely.

www.hannandersson.com

Besides being super cute and modest, these suits are so well made that I have had my oldest wear a suit for two years, then pass it down to my youngest, who is wearing it for her second year...that means it's going into it's 4th year of wear with no signs of wear. None. No pilling, no fading, no sagging, bagging, riding up. I'm not kidding. I even wash them in cold/gentle in the washing machine sometimes (I don't recommend that, but you know some days.......)

I don't know if they are still on sale, but even if they aren't, they are worth the $10 more than a suit at Target, in my opinion.

Dd has Lands' End tankinis that I just love. They're cute and modern, easy to use the restroom, but the straps are wide and comfy and the tops come down *well* past the top of the bottoms, so even though they're two-piece suits (which, as I said, makes using the restroom *much* easier), they cover as much or more than most one-pieces. (A trick for getting an even longer suit is to go up a size and buy the "slim".)

LE also has some decent one-pieces, but I prefer the ease and fit of a two-piece (as long as it doesn't mean her tummy is showing).

Abbey,

About those LE tankinis. I checked them out. My dd is 8 (9 this summer) and is quite tall for her age - she looks like most 11 year olds. And she's not rail thin, but pretty normal (with a slightly pudgy tummy). She doesn't have breasts yet to contend with.

Do those tankinis ride up when you jump in the water? She really hates board shirts - not sure why - but has agreed to shorts over a one piece even though I find them uncomfortable myself to swim in. She really hated one suit that rode up or "floated" every time she got in the water. She is willing to accept my need for modesty, but doesn't want to look goofy. Which I get.

Also I didn't see how you can order the top in a "slim". I'll have to look at that closer.

I'd appreciate your comments about how these really fit during an active day of many jumps in the deep end. :bigear:

Abbey,

About those LE tankinis. I checked them out. My dd is 8 (9 this summer) and is quite tall for her age - she looks like most 11 year olds. And she's not rail thin, but pretty normal (with a slightly pudgy tummy). She doesn't have breasts yet to contend with.

Do those tankinis ride up when you jump in the water? She really hates board shirts - not sure why - but has agreed to shorts over a one piece even though I find them uncomfortable myself to swim in. She really hated one suit that rode up or "floated" every time she got in the water. She is willing to accept my need for modesty, but doesn't want to look goofy. Which I get.

Also I didn't see how you can order the top in a "slim". I'll have to look at that closer.

I'd appreciate your comments about how these really fit during an active day of many jumps in the deep end. :bigear:

I'm not Abbey, but I can tell you from experience that the LE tankini tops do not ride up. They are much more fitted than most tankini tops, so they stay put. They really are more like a one piece that has been split in two.

FWIW, I would not tolerate, nor would my kids, riding up, and we all love these suits.

Amy, here's the link to a suit like my dd has (I think it's the same -- she has last year's colors):

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ScrunchbackTankini~164059_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::OYX&CM_MERCH=IDX_00006__0000000647&origin=index

She's only seven, and very petite -- thin, but not skinny (so borderline in most clothes between *needing* a slim and able to get away with a regular size) -- and I bought her a slim. (If you look at the link above, you can select regular, slim, or plus.) She is very active and has worn her suits to water parks without any complaints about the bottoms riding up at all. But then, she's a younger girl and has a tiny little rear. ;)

These suits don't have shorts -- they have regular suit bottoms. But on, they generally look like a one-piece, 'cause the tops come down and cover the waistband of the bottoms. (Again, the slims mean that the suit will be longer and narrower, so you get more length.) You *can* get some cute matching swim skirts and shorts, but we haven't tried those.

Thanks Abbey! I did look into it further and that's the exact suit I was looking at, and also saw where you can select "slim"

I'm not so much worried about the bottoms riding up as I am the top. You know how when you jump in the water it "pushes" up that kind of top.

I think we may be better off shopping together IRL so she can try on some things.

Thanks for your reply though!!

Hi

I got my two girls (9 & 12) suits at Lands' End this year for the first time. My husband had decided since they were getting older we'd try the board shirts. They each picked one of those and the swim skirt to match. I wasn't sure how we'd afford them so I put it off. Two weeks ago, LE put them on sale for 2 days (sorry-too late for this year) and the day I was going to order I got a free shipping for lands end coupon in the mail. it saved $10. So for the future, get on their mailing list and watch around the end of April for them to go on sale. We saved at least $20-25 on the two suits together. BTW, my girls LOVE the shirts. I am very thankful!

Check the overstocks and clearance tabs on Landsend. I was able to buy my two girls their bathing suits there for less than 1/2 the normal price. I don't know if these were last year's colors or what, but we didn't care.

HTH,

Melissa

• 1 month later...

I bought my dd's swim suits at Target and Sams. Sams has nice one piece ones by skeedo(Sp) for $12. I paid about that for the one at Target.

I agree a one piece is a must at our house. My dd looks at the two piece and about passes out at the thought. She is 9. She won't even wear a sleeveless top though either. Not my doing as I wear them all the time.

Check and see if your Sears store sells Lands End.

All the Sears by me do and the stuff is often on sale, even when it is not on sale in the Lands End Catalog or online.

I love love Target bathing suits. We have been buying them for years.

For my son I buy Kohls Sonoma brand. They are indestructible.

We usually buy from Lands End. However, this year, the Tankini that we bought rides up and makes my dd feel uncomfortable and one of the one piece suits is already pilled. I'm not happy at all with the quality. I bought Speedos at Dick's Sporting Goods because I didn't want the pilling I got from LE.