Menu

California Universities - public & private, your thoughts

mirabillis

We live in California - and for the most part, probably want to keep the dc in state.

There are so many universities in California - to scratch the surface, I'd love to hear some of your opinions on schools in our fine state. Public, private, small, large, you name it. If you like it, let me know for whatever reason.

We'd be looking at schools with good departments in any of the following: economics, business, political science, fine arts (art) - for next dd, etc. Pretty basic stuff BA stuff.

Lay some schools on me!

TIA!!

ETA: Another thought - Added to original post .

I went to a large, state flagship - but the town the university was in was essentially a college town. The whole town centered around the university, as it was a small town. And it was fantastic - and I'd love to see which Cal schools may be similar. Which California universities (private, UC, CSU) would apply in this regard?

Edited by mirabillis

Is money a factor? Do you need substantial need based aid or are you looking for merit scholarships? That would help to narrow it down.

Good friend's daughter is at Cal Poly SLO and really enjoying it. Finds the students and professors very friendly and warm.  Very affordable state school and highly regarded for many fields. Admissions very numbers oriented (gpa/sat).

In S. California, University of Redlands for smaller LAC, For midsize colleges strong in business or arts, take a look at Loyola Marymount or Chapman. In N. California, Santa Clara University is a good midsize school.

My twins applied to a few private schools in CA this year. I love the University of Redlands much more than I thought I would. Chapman also left a good impression on me. Saint Mary's is worth a look at and is a Colleges That Change Lives school. Loyola Marymount is another solid choice although I will admit that I didn't like the feel of the school when I visited. My son was impressed with it though (for film) and is considering going there. 

• Like 1

I'd say fairly competitive student - he's very bright, strong grades and we've got a rigorous course schedule for him.

As for finances, I'd just like to know schools that some of you know/like - we'll deal with merit aid or scholarships as that comes to pass. 

At this point, the schools we know of and hear praises of are: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UCSB, UCSD, USC. That's about all I know of without having delved into major research. Just thought some of you could give me some rabbit holes to go down.... 

Thanks!

Is money a factor? Do you need substantial need based aid or are you looking for merit scholarships? That would help to narrow it down.

Good friend's daughter is at Cal Poly SLO and really enjoying it. Finds the students and professors very friendly and warm. Very affordable state school and highly regarded for many fields. Admissions very numbers oriented (gpa/sat).

In S. California, University of Redlands for smaller LAC, For midsize colleges strong in business or arts, take a look at Loyola Marymount or Chapman. In N. California, Santa Clara University is a good midsize school.

I would recommend Cal Poly if your child were interested in a polytechnic field. The liberal studies cohort is weak compared to other CSU/UC schools.

The consortium of colleges that includes Pomona, Harvey Mudd, and Claremont McKenna are well-regarded. Pomona would be for liberal arts, Harvey Mudd for STEM, and Claremont McKenna for Econ & Poli Sci (not sure if they have a business major per se). I want to say there is a women's college in the consortium but I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 2

The consortium of colleges that includes Pomona, Harvey Mudd, and Claremont McKenna are well-regarded. Pomona would be for liberal arts, Harvey Mudd for STEM, and Claremont McKenna for Econ & Poli Sci (not sure if they have a business major per se). I want to say there is a women's college in the consortium but I'm not 100% sure.

Scripps is the women's college, and Pitzer rounds out the five.

Edited by Hoggirl

For the fine arts student, I thought I'd mention UCSB's College of Creative Studies. It's a small college within the univ. - or as they call it "A Graduate School for Undergraduates". UCSB seems to have a reputation among the UC's as a less rigorous, party school but this seems like it might be a little gem for the right student. CCS also offers sciences and computer sciences but no business or social sciences.

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 3

I was kinda sorta hoping on St Mary's for DS (close-ish to us, beautiful campus) but it really helps to know if the student would thrive at an LAC vs larger research uni. DS would not have (he insists so and it is obvious he won't too) and why we scratched every LAC from our list.

• Like 1

I've heard good things about Sonoma State (just north of SF). It is a LAC (!) and also has a brand-new music venue. Also I think maybe Sonoma State is one of the few colleges where a student can obtain a teaching credential concurrently with his/her undergraduate degree (saving time and money). Plus the CSU price ... I have no connection with SSU, but know several happy students who attend.

My brother teaches at USC and thinks it is a good school but overpriced.

LMU also gets good reviews from a formerly homeschooled student I know.

• Like 2

This is super helpful.

Another thought - I'll add above to original post as well.

I went to a large, state flagship - but the town the university was in was essentially a college town. The whole town centered around the university, as it was a small town. And it was fantastic - and I'd love to see which Cal schools may be similar. Which California universities (private, UC, CSU) would apply in this regard?

I was going to suggest Davis as well.  I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy their time there and it is more of a college town feel.

I got my teaching credentials from Point Loma at their Pasadena campus and when I visited their San Diego campus I wished I had actually been able to go there.  What a beautiful place with private beaches!  And if you want beach, and don't mind a private Christian college, Westmont is also nice.

We will be looking at CA colleges for the 2018-2019 school year for my middle son.  He is leaning towards looking at Azusa Pacific, but the cost may be a deterrent.  We will see.  I went to grad school there.

My husband went to USC, but definitely very Urban, and the cost is quite prohibitive to us for undergrad.

I went to Sonoma State and it's a great school. Small cal state. The campus is gorgeous and the "dorms" rated some of the best--they're townhomes. There's been so much construction since I graduated I didn't recognize some areas.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest Davis as well. I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy their time there and it is more of a college town feel.

I got my teaching credentials from Point Loma at their Pasadena campus and when I visited their San Diego campus I wished I had actually been able to go there. What a beautiful place with private beaches! And if you want beach, and don't mind a private Christian college, Westmont is also nice.

We will be looking at CA colleges for the 2018-2019 school year for my middle son. He is leaning towards looking at Azusa Pacific, but the cost may be a deterrent. We will see. I went to grad school there.

My husband went to USC, but definitely very Urban, and the cost is quite prohibitive to us for undergrad.

Put Concordia Irvine on your list, too. They offer generous scholarships and the Core program is a rich extension of classical education. It's a gem.

• Like 2

Put Concordia Irvine on your list, too. They offer generous scholarships and the Core program is a rich extension of classical education. It's a gem.

Thanks.  He wants film production and it doesn't look like they have it.   But it looks like a great school.

• Like 1

This is super helpful.

Another thought - I'll add above to original post as well.

Sonoma State University (a CSU school) definitely fits this description. And very easy to get away to nature, too.

My son is graduating from SSU this spring, after transferring there from the local CC.

• Like 2

For film production I would concentrate on the Los Angeles greater area universities for access to industry professionals and internships and other opportunities.

Yeah.  USC has a great program.  Not sure of the affordability for us though!  APU's program is decent, heck, in LA, even CSUN has a decent program!  And that would be far more affordable!

Not sure if he could get into the UCLA program but it wouldn't hurt to try.

• 3 weeks later...

For film production check out Loyola Marymount and Chapman. They both have great programs. 

He wants a concentration in editing.  Most schools seem to have a more broad Cinematography or Film school and not a focus on editing.

However, both LM and Chapman may be beyond our budget.  I will bring them up though as he is putting some schools on the list he knows we can't afford if he doesn't get assistance.

He wants a concentration in editing.  Most schools seem to have a more broad Cinematography or Film school and not a focus on editing.

However, both LM and Chapman may be beyond our budget.  I will bring them up though as he is putting some schools on the list he knows we can't afford if he doesn't get assistance.

And now my oldest is interested in UCI.  

Lots to think about.  We will have 2 in college at the same time.

DS was accepted into LMU and UCI this year. At LMU he got in for film production and at UCI he is in for film and media studies. LMU is very hands-on and the students are allowed to get involved in productions from day 1. They also have a nice editing lab for those interested in editing and being in LA there are great internships available. My son was very impressed. Unfortunately cost is an issue as LMU is not known for giving the best aid. 

• Like 2

DS was accepted into LMU and UCI this year. At LMU he got in for film production and at UCI he is in for film and media studies. LMU is very hands-on and the students are allowed to get involved in productions from day 1. They also have a nice editing lab for those interested in editing and being in LA there are great internships available. My son was very impressed. Unfortunately cost is an issue as LMU is not known for giving the best aid. 

The one interested in UCI is going into Animation and Game Design.  He is my Aspie.  He will need to live at home at the same time.  He is in no way ready to go away to school.    He should be finishing his Simulation and Game Development AA this next year in NC before we move.

Middle is the one wanting editing.  At first he wanted music editing, but he is more interested in TV and Film now it seems.

I would love to send middle to an expensive school.  I just don't think we can do it.  We have told him we can offer $25K per year and that is it.  I really don't want him to come out of school in debt, esp. to the tune of over $100K.

But maybe if he could do that for just the last 2 years or even for an MA.  

He is looking at Northridge for undergrad.  But he will send his application to several schools and MAY have to start at CC due to funds.  We will see.  We will possibly have just moved to CA and need to pay out of state for two kids at once.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1