Menu

What did you learn today?

poppy

I have been asking DH to show me how to use the pressure washer for ten years. He's so weirdly possessive about that darn thing. My sidewalks and patio look awful! Just let me use it, honey!

Feeling a little less awesome today. Now that DH is back at work, I can't get the dang thing started and I'm about to say words. Lots of words.

• Like 3

Yesterday I learned my kids can get by with cereal, movies, and limited supervision when both their parents have the stomach flu simultaneously. They did so well taking care of each other and staying out of trouble! I'm once again convinced I have the best kids on Earth.

Very sweet!

I learned that if you're staying somewhere that has a cap on wifi, and you've reached that cap so don't have wifi anymore and your devices are blocked, you actually do still have access to it from 2am to 5am every night.  (at least that's how the bundle plan works where we're staying!)  No one told me this -- I just discovered it one night when I couldn't sleep!

On Thursday I learned quite a bit. With my kids I learned about Perseus and the stories associated with him. I learned about gerundives in Latin and how to use them. 

In my mom's group that night I learned some scrapbooking/card making techniques and how to use some of those tools. Seems like an expensive, time consuming hobby. But it was fun to do with someone's else's instructions for one night~ 

• Like 2

Sounds like that professor would've gotten along well with my organic chemistry professor. My prof wrote an exam question where he gave us the chemical structure for Sudafed and the chemical structure for meth and asked us to transform the former into the latter in 6 or fewer steps. :scared:

When Breaking Bad came out years later it did make me wonder if any of the screenwriters had happened to have taken a class from this particular professor...

Ha!

That reminds me...

On the very last day of the very last quarter of honors freshman chemistry, the prof announced that he was going to show an interesting synthesis but that it would not be covered on the final exam.  No one took notes.  He covered board after board after board.

Finally at the end of the period, he gave the final result--LSD.

And from the middle of the lecture hall a voice boomed out, "$200 to the person who has a complete set of lecture notes!"

• Like 1

Did you faint?

Pretty sure not?  But I had a good 5-10 minute battle there--very unexpected experience.  I guess I don't handle minor flesh wounds well?    :huh:   :lol:

Ok it wasn't all that funny at the time, but it is now, and now I know a new medical term and some of its causes.  :)  DD gets special kudos for being super calm and helpful.

Today I learned the original Willy Wonka movie was filmed in Munich.

The geography of that film is so confusing. Violent Beauregard and Mike Teevee are American , Augustus is German, Veruca Salt is English, and Charlie Bucket is... it's unclear ? But he lives right in the same town as the chocolate factory which is clearly somewhere in Europe based on the final scene . But Charlie's family and Gene Wilder have American accents. Maybe it's supposed to be vague . Probably . I feel better knowing that little Munich bit of the puzzle.

• Like 1

I learned there are too many washing machine options, and even if you do narrow it down to three after reading so many reviews and articles, none of them will be in stock. Also, your old washer will suddenly be able to wash multiple loads in a row without leaving any loads sopping wet, as if it knows it's going to get booted soon.

Edited by GalaxyGal
  • Like 1

Yesterday I learned how to assemble Ikea Soderhamn chairs and couch.  Dd learned how to put together a table and console.  If you haven't ever done it, it's like giant Playmobil.  I also did a bookcase -- so much fun that I'd sort of like to get more of them just to put them together.

Earlier in the week I learned how to scrape carpet and padding off of a basement floor, and install  padded carpet tiles.   

Soon we will have an attractive, usable area ... just in time for the kids to move out, so oops on that.  Actually, we're having 5 extra college kids here for spring break next week, so it will get some immediate use.

• Like 1