Menu

AP Exams 2016 Check-in

They have also gotten a booklet with their Student AP number.  There are stickers in the booklet with their AP number printed on them.  These stickers are used on the answer sheets.  (And possibly also to mark the test booklets.)

Yes, the booklet is the called the AP Student Pack. Mine was told to put one sticker on the AP Number Card and just bring back the card.

I thought there would be sample 2016 AP Student Pack online, but couldn't find it. 

The pack also contains useful codes like Online Provider Codes, College Codes, etc. 

• Like 2

Another useful info for me is the exam instructions for each AP subject: 
https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/test-day/instructions

For example, if you look at the AP Exam instructions for AP Chem 

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-exam-instructions-chemistry.pdf

You will notice that pencils can be used on both sections. 

But for AP European History

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-exam-instructions-european-history.pdf

Pencils are OK for Section I (Part A) but pens are required for section I (Part B) and Section II.

The instructions also give you all the details on what the proctor/teacher should do.

• Like 2

I had my son take a picture of the AP number card and text it to me. That way if it gets misplaced before July, we have an electronic copy.

Excellent idea! I'm going to have both my kids do that now.

My older ds is only doing two exam this year (3 last year) - physics C electricity & magnetism and English language. I honestly have no idea how prepared he is for the English since he's taken the class at school. He seems to think he'll do well. Physics has been going reasonably well. I think he's really happy it's almost over.

Younger ds is taking his first AP in European history. He's just started reviewing, and hopefully all will go well.

• Like 2

I was reading the AP Coordinator's Manual and saw that the Computer Science times have changed.  The time for the first section has been lengthened by 15 minutes, and the time for the second section has been reduced by 15 minutes.  Now it is an equal 1 hour and 30 minutes for both sections.  This is a change from last year.  Should I be nervous that the school will know this?  Should I email and ask someone ahead of time?  Or will those times be written right on the front of the test booklets and therefore impossible for the proctor to get the time wrong?  What do you think?

• Like 2

I was reading the AP Coordinator's Manual and saw that the Computer Science times have changed. The time for the first section has been lengthened by 15 minutes, and the time for the second section has been reduced by 15 minutes. Now it is an equal 1 hour and 30 minutes for both sections. This is a change from last year. Should I be nervous that the school will know this? Should I email and ask someone ahead of time? Or will those times be written right on the front of the test booklets and therefore impossible for the proctor to get the time wrong? What do you think?

I saw that too.

I was reading the AP Coordinator's Manual and saw that the Computer Science times have changed.  The time for the first section has been lengthened by 15 minutes, and the time for the second section has been reduced by 15 minutes.  Now it is an equal 1 hour and 30 minutes for both sections.  This is a change from last year.  Should I be nervous that the school will know this?  Should I email and ask someone ahead of time?  Or will those times be written right on the front of the test booklets and therefore impossible for the proctor to get the time wrong?  What do you think?

They are supposed to follow the scripts and instructions in the AP Exam Instructions book for AP CS:

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-exam-instructions-computer-science-a.pdf

I would email the AP coordinator tactfully, but that's because I'm kinda risk averse, sometimes  :001_smile:

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice on the AP Number, folks! :)  I've got dd going in on Thursday to do all the preliminary paperwork and the administrator says we can get her AP Number then.

I love this forum.  Is there a question of any kind on any topic that you guys can't answer?  I think not. :D

• Like 6

Does anyone else have "Home School Clearinghouse" as the name of your homeschool, according to the College Board?  We tried to change it, but it seems to be predetermined.

It's kind of a weird name.  

Otherwise, dd14 is set to take AP chem at a local high school.  

• Like 1

Does anyone else have "Home School Clearinghouse" as the name of your homeschool, according to the College Board?  We tried to change it, but it seems to be predetermined.

So your DD

1. Signed into her account,

2. Clicked on "Your Account" at the top.

3. Typed in her password again.

4.  "My AP Profile" showed up.

5. She saw High school name: "Home School Clearinghouse" and underneath it, she clicked "Change your school name".

6. A pop-up showed up and she put her state's home-school code* in the "High school code (optional):" field and clicked "Search"

7.  There wasn't "state name HOME SCHOOL" for her to select?

*Your state home-school code as shown on page 19 of the AP Coordinator's Manual

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

• Like 1

This year the AP tests fall in the same week as my senior's dual credit finals, so she's feeling a bit stressed. But, she's handling it fine. I remind her that a 4 is as good as a 5 because she gets the same college credits either way. And a 3 will give her something also. Knowing that takes some of the pressure off. She's taking European History, Music Theory and English Language and Comp this year.  I think she'll do fine - we didn't prepare with AP courses so she'll get 4s I'm guessing.

• Like 1

So your DD

1. Signed into her account,

2. Clicked on "Your Account" at the top.

3. Typed in her password again.

4.  "My AP Profile" showed up.

5. She saw High school name: "Home School Clearinghouse" and underneath it, she clicked "Change your school name".

6. A pop-up showed up and she put her state's home-school code* in the "High school code (optional):" field and clicked "Search"

7.  There wasn't "state name HOME SCHOOL" for her to select?

*Your state home-school code as shown on page 19 of the AP Coordinator's Manual

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

You know, I think I missed the pop up because I was checking and trying to edit it on my phone.  Thank you for letting me know.  

• Like 2

I have no idea how my dd will do on the actual exam, but she has already benefited so much from the AP class. No matter what happens during those few hours one morning in May.....for this year, for this student, even with all the stress, taking the AP class was the right decision. 

(Remind me of that on a certain morning in July when scores are released.  ;) )

• Like 11

I have no idea how my dd will do on the actual exam, but she has already benefited so much from the AP class. No matter what happens during those few hours one morning in May.....for this year, for this student, even with all the stress, taking the AP class was the right decision. 

I agree completely. Ds has learned so much in terms of "grit" through his class-perserverance for sure (he used to give up easily and he did.not in this class--even when I would have let him lol)and many other great qualities that have carried over to all of his other classes. I am so thrilled! At the moment I don't care either what grade on the test he gets b/c as far as I'm concerned it was an A plus.
  • Like 6

I have no regrets with my kids taking this course.  It's been challenging, but mostly in a good way.  There were times they didn't understand a concept, so we were able to utilize a different resource and they would have these "aha" moments.  Or one child would help the other through an issue.  Taking on some of this coursework has meant they know they are capable of more than they thought they were.  It's also reinforced some of the lessons I've been trying to instill, which is to stay on schedule with their work.  Until now, it's been easy for them to put things off until the weekend and "make it up" -- you can't do that with AP Chem.  You just get way too far behind.  Sometimes, those are the most difficult lessons -- but good to learn now.

I joke about my kids getting a "1" -- I think one might pull a 3 out of this.  We'll see about the other!  But for us, the attempt has been a big step forward for them both.

• Like 2

I am curious Lisa about how the Ap chem has gone for you guys- were they not well prepared or was it too much?

I am thinking of doing it with my student at home so will appreciate any insights

This was the first course they've taken that had this much work (even my oldest son, who took Honors Physics in 9th didn't realize how much work it was, even though I warned him...it's a recurring theme, kids think I'm overstating the difficulty, etc., they ignore me at their peril...). These two are used to things coming easy for them, and I told them they had to stay on schedule.  They didn't -- so instead of being able to simply review and prep for the test, we're still working through material.  I had to pay for the test in January -- so they're going to take it, regardless.  I didn't pay for the SAT2, though (they will continue studying Chem and take the SAT2 in October.)

Mostly, they are uncomfortable with the FRQs (mostly format).  When we took their first practice test 3 weeks ago, they both got more than 70% of the multiple choice sections correct, but neither really knew how to tackle the FRQ format, which we've been working on.

If I had it to do over again, I'd follow the Homeschool Connections Schedule, homework assignments, labs and exams, but use the Clutch Prep Videos (most of our issues with HSC have been videos with a lack of audio and/or video).  Then, 16 weeks out, we'd start the Edx AP Chemistry Prep as review (slowly at first), and ramping up the last 8 weeks leading up to the exam, doing the Capstone project in May and June.

The Homeschool Connections tests have you practice that FRQ and multiple choice throughout, so it's possible the EDX would be overkill -- but it's there if you need it. Educator.com also uses a 1999 practice exam and they go through it question by question.

I think the key to this course is just staying on schedule!  There is a lot of material to cover.  It takes about 2-3 hours to read and take notes on a chapter, another 2-3 hours to do the practice questions, about 1-3 hours of lectures per chapter, and then the labs...well, that just depends upon the lab and the kids.  Even in a homeschool setting, this course takes extra time (I haven't found that true of every course, but definitely this one).  I planned labs (as often as possible) on the weekend, when we could block out 5-6 hours for them.

I'll be a whole lot more confident next time (in 4 years), and I suppose my experience with AP Chem is one reason APES looks so easy by comparison.

• Like 2

They are supposed to follow the scripts and instructions in the AP Exam Instructions book for AP CS:

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-exam-instructions-computer-science-a.pdf

I would email the AP coordinator tactfully, but that's because I'm kinda risk averse, sometimes  :001_smile:

Well, me too!  These are the things that keep me up at night, LOL!  I think I am just going to make sure that DS knows and pays attention to what they say, and how much time he is given. 

It's kind of a weird name.  

Otherwise, dd14 is set to take AP chem at a local high school.  

Is this something we need to check before next week?  DS has already gone to the school and filled out the paperwork and gotten the AP number.  He put in the homeschool code for our state, and the online provider's code.  But, I am not sure what else we need to do.  Do we now need to go back into his College Board account and add those numbers there, too?

• Like 1

I agree completely. Ds has learned so much in terms of "grit" through his class-perserverance for sure (he used to give up easily and he did.not in this class--even when I would have let him lol)and many other great qualities that have carried over to all of his other classes. I am so thrilled! At the moment I don't care either what grade on the test he gets b/c as far as I'm concerned it was an A plus.

I agree, too!  (But will also probably need a reminder of that so let's meet back here in July!  LOL)

This has been the most challenging class DS has taken yet, in a good way.  And I agree about the importance of staying on schedule, and it being the first thing that didn't just come easily.  But, it has been a great experience and we have both learned so much about preparation, managing your time, staying on top of things, etc.  It has been a really good experience overall.  DS has learned so much and this absolutely should be counted as a success, no matter the score.  I love that he wants to figure things out, and wants to know why.  I think that homeschooling has kept that curiosity alive for him, and while he may not be as concerned with a grade on a test, he actually wants to understand.  This has really been eye-opening for me, because there have been times when I have felt frustrated and thought, just memorize this or that, and he resists, saying, but I want to understand why it is that way so I will remember better.  And then I realize that, yes, of course!  That is why we homeschool!  I need those reminders continually though!

Edited by Grantmom
  • Like 4

I am curious Lisa about how the Ap chem has gone for you guys- were they not well prepared or was it too much?

I am thinking of doing it with my student at home so will appreciate any insights

Are we talking about AP chem is PA Homeschoolers?  If so, it's been a great experience for us.  Dd started 2 weeks late because she had been enrolled in regular school and it took her that long to see the writing on the wall, lol.

Still, she threw herself into the material and is keeping up fairly well.  Clear out your schedule because it is a lot of work, and the burden is on the student to clarify anything that isn't 100% crystal clear.  I was dd's dummy advisor before she emailed Mr. M with any questions.  If I couldn't answer the question, then it was deemed worthy of his attention.  She contacted him frequently with questions.  Some TAs were responsive, but most of them seem to be meh at best.

But the support for the exam itself is phenomenal.  Mr. M provides lots of insights into being successful on the exam, provides lots of AP style practice questions, lots of AP practice tests.  Dd and I feel like she is thoroughly prepared for the exam next week.  

However, we met up with another student who has fallen way behind and is struggling.  I prefer to think of this class as more like a guided self-study under the tutelage of a very experienced teacher.  I think it has prepared her for further self-study in situations where she won't necessarily have great teachers, aka college.  

• Like 5

Are we talking about AP chem is PA Homeschoolers? If so, it's been a great experience for us. Dd started 2 weeks late because she had been enrolled in regular school and it took her that long to see the writing on the wall, lol.

No I was actually thinking of self studying at home
  • Like 1

No I was actually thinking of self studying at home

My kids self-studied AP Chem at home without too much help from me, other than logistical stuff like setting up the syllabus, picking a text, and finding review materials. I answered occasional questions, but not very often.

How did we set it up? We first did a "fun year" of regular chem at home using Spectrum Chemistry with their labs. During this year they learned the basics, memorized their polyatomic ions, learned chemical nomenclature, etc (all the memoriz-y parts) and knocked out the labs. Spectrum has fantastic labs, at least as good as those I had in two years of public school chem.

Then for AP year (this works best the year immediately following so they don't forget much), we worked through the parts of Zumdahl's AP text that match up to the test. We didn't bother getting AP approval (just called it "Advanced Chem with AP exam" on their transcripts). Because we didn't need syllabus approval, we skipped doing any more labs. I'm not sure that we could have improved on the Spectrum labs, anyway. We went quickly through the initial 4 or 5 chapters that they'd already learned the previous year, and we concentrated on the more difficult AP material: acid-base chem, titration calculations, electrochemistry, thermodynamics, atomic structure & orbitals, etc.

Overall it was very doable this way, and both kids earned 5's on the exam.

• Like 5

I hadn't heard anything since paying our fee a month ago, so I contacted the school counselor earlier this week to see if she wanted ds to come in to do any paperwork ahead of time. First she said no, he was all set. Then I heard back yesterday that he needed to come in to fill out paperwork today. So he went in this morning, did his paperwork, and also learned that he needs come in at 7:15 on the day of the test (we had been thinking 7:45) AND that the test is not at the high school but at a different building across town.

It's a good thing I checked in!

• Like 3

We have to show up at 0730 for final paperwork and the exam (my kids are the only two taking AP Chem this year, I was going to bring them in today to get their paperwork done, but the counselor said not to bother...yay!)

We did ours self-study.  I generally followed the outline at Homeschool Connections.  

Anyone take AP Physics C EM/M from APHomeschoolers?  I'm wondering how that might be.  DD will be taking AP Bio in 10th at the school, so I don't have to worry about that one (although, I'll probably sign her up for the EDX Preparing for the AP Exam courses anyway...).  The school doesn't offer AP Physics C, except in the virtual class (which has to be taken at the school).  

Is this something we need to check before next week?  DS has already gone to the school and filled out the paperwork and gotten the AP number.  He put in the homeschool code for our state, and the online provider's code.  But, I am not sure what else we need to do.  Do we now need to go back into his College Board account and add those numbers there, too?

No, only if you need to change the high school name like daijobu's case.

Your son can sign in to check if the high school name is correct if he wants to by using the steps 1 to 4

mentioned on Post #60. 

• Like 1

Ds17 says he'll be ready for US History and Biology, but decided within the last week not to sit for the US Government exam. It was the first course he neglected whenever other things came up, and now he's just too far behind to catch up without jeopardizing his other exams. His top choice school accepts the CLEP exam for US Government, so we're going to look into going that route instead. 

• Like 2

Hi guys! 

I'm currently living in Santiago, Chile. I registered my 13yo DS for the AP calculus BC test at the international school. 

He has an online account with the college board. He self study for the test, but has taking online classes with AOPS for 4years.

When I registered with the international school they only asked him for his name and told me that I don't have to worry about anything else....I'm not sure if they have worked with homeschoolers before...

I got the school code...(south carolina) because we are moving back next year to sc and we have residency there.

Whats a provider code if he self study and did Calculus with AOPS?

Also what other code info do I need to provide? the international school pretty much took my money to register him and didn't give me much info after that. 

Thanks

He has an online account with the college board...

When I registered with the international school they only asked him for his name and told me that I don't have to worry about anything else....

I got the school code...(south carolina) because we are moving back next year to sc and we have residency there.

Whats a provider code if he self study and did Calculus with AOPS?

Also what other code info do I need to provide? the international school pretty much took my money to register him and didn't give me much info after that. 

You might want to read Post #2 and #27. 

From the 2014 AP Online Provider Code List 

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-online-provider-code-list-2014.pdf

"...the Online Provider Code, should be completed by anyone who has prepared for this exam by taking an AP online course or exam review. By completing Item G, you grant the College Board permission to share your exam score with the online provider."

From what I understand, AoPS Calculus is not an AP online course. Also, when my DC self-studied, DC didn't put any provider code either.

If your son has already been accepted and is going to enroll in a certain college, then he might want to send the AP scores to the college, in which case, he will need the college code. 

HTH.

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 1

Take to test: Watch, pencils, eraser, pen. 

Anything else?

I've read cell phones are not allowed. Do most kids have backpacks, purses, etc? How do they enforce the no cell phone rule?

ID

online provider numbers, umbrella school number, how to spell your street (sigh)

Also wondering about the cell phone.

• Like 3

Anything else?

I've read cell phones are not allowed. Do most kids have backpacks, purses, etc? How do they enforce the no cell phone rule?

I thought I read on the AP site that there should be a procedure for turning in your phone during the test since they realize that many people need their phones to arrange rides. I just told my kids to turn it off before they went and leave it in the bottom of their book bag and not to touch it until they left the building.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anything else?

Bulletin for AP Students and Parents, page 5 has a list of what to bring/not to bring to the exam room.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-bulletin-students-parents.pdf

In the past years, for mine, some teachers collected  all the cell phones and gave them back later after the exams. Some did not. In which case,  mine kept it (turned off) in the backpack and did not touch it until after the exam and outside the classroom.

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 1

Anything else?

Our school implied in an email that one could keep a cell phone in a back pack which would be kept outside the classroom.  It was not stated explicitly however.   :closedeyes:

• Like 1

I'm currently living in Santiago, Chile. 

Since your son's present address is in Chile, I think he would need the country code. The code for Chile is 115 from last year's AP Student Pack. Hopefully the admin/teacher/proctor will instruct him to get the country code from this year's AP Student Pack.

Edited by JoanHomeEd

AP US History test takers - do take note of revisions in the course and in the exam.  http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/2089.html

2015 was the first exam sitting for the revised APUSH course.  One huge change is that the multiple choice sections are now based on readings, rather than questions in isolation.  (Example, a quotation about introduction of new species to North America followed by 2-3 questions related to that topic.)  Many of the study guides do not seem to have had much revision for the new format.  Buyer beware.  

A revised sample test is available here:  https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-us-history-practice-exam.pdf

The APUSH exam now has a multiple choice section and a short answer section in Part 1, then a document based question and a long essay in Part 2.  

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!  The grading rubric for the free response section has also changed.  This is a revision of the 2014-2015 course revision (ie, a revision of the revision).  It changes how the essays are scored, but doesn't change the course content.  There has been a lot less fanfare about this change.  

The new rubrics are available here:  https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/rubrics-ap-histories-historical-thinking-skills.pdf

Evidently, the idea is to have one set of rubrics for the three big history exams (US, European & World).  I think World is still on the old rubric for one more year (but check for yourself).

I point this out in part because search results for APUSH free response still take me to the results page for the older sets of questions.  It is possible to use old questions and new scoring, but it requires diverging a bit from the published scoring guidelines for exams 2014 and earlier.

• Like 4

Many of the study guides do not seem to have had much revision for the new format.  Buyer beware.  

Thank you so much for all the information you posted. Do you have a recommendation for a study guide? We are going to self-study for this next year and I want to get the study guide early on so we'll be more aware of what we should be looking out for as we go along.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the information you posted. Do you have a recommendation for a study guide? We are going to self-study for this next year and I want to get the study guide early on so we'll be more aware of what we should be looking out for as we go along.

I got a ton of info from the official AP Teacher Community.

I wouldn't buy a print guide unless I could flip through it in person or see a good Kindle sample.

• Like 1