Menu

Who wants to play "How old is your Worcestershire sauce?"

SparklyUnicorn

Newish, exp. date 3/2016. I threw the last bottle out not because it was empty but because it was old.

Pronunciation is not an issue in our household: since I have a lot of family near/from the Worcester, MA, area, I get the final say. WUSS-ter-sheer. (First syllable doesn't rhyme with "us"; the vowel is like the oo in "cook.") :)

• Like 1

We use ours regularly but I just bought a new bottle. It was in a shelf in the fridge door and I opened the door, the little rail fell off and everything on that shelf hit the floor and shattered. So...the W sauce is new, all the salad dressing...the teriyaki sauce...and the malt vinegar :)

• Like 1

This thread is timely, because I just addressed the fridge door caddies this past week. Salad dressings (with a sad tablespoon left), horseradish, pickled ginger, bread machine yeast, mustards of every color gradient, and some dried beef that was BROWN. Gak. These were all out of date. The yeast was the oldest, though. 2012.

• Like 1

I just threw out some fish sauce. Apparently it requires refrigeration after opening. It smelled like funky feet. I don't know how I didn't read that on the label.

Well, but fish sauce... It might smell like that anyway. ;)

• Like 2

My Worcestershire sauce isn't that old, since we use it pretty regularly to make Caesar dressing, but spices?  I think I fairly recently threw out some that said "Sam's Club."  We let our Sam's Club membership expire when we left the DC suburbs -- in December of 2006.  But I occasionally find things that say "Stop and Shop."  We only lived in New England for 21 months and moved away fifteen years ago.  *Those* are old spices.

• Like 3

I just threw out some fish sauce.  Apparently it requires refrigeration after opening.  It smelled like funky feet.  I don't know how I didn't read that on the label.

Yeah, that's a good way to describe fish sauce's smell.  FWIW, we never refrigerate it (and I've always read that it's recommended that you don't so it doesn't form salt crystals).  We go through it quickly though.

My Worcestershire sauce isn't that old, since we use it pretty regularly to make Caesar dressing, but spices? I think I fairly recently threw out some that said "Sam's Club." We let our Sam's Club membership expire when we left the DC suburbs -- in December of 2006. But I occasionally find things that say "Stop and Shop." We only lived in New England for 21 months and moved away fifteen years ago. *Those* are old spices.

Don't you love it when you look at some store brand food and go, "Wait...when did I even go there? That was so many years ago, I can't even guess."

• Like 2

My Worcestershire sauce isn't that old, since we use it pretty regularly to make Caesar dressing, but spices?  I think I fairly recently threw out some that said "Sam's Club."  We let our Sam's Club membership expire when we left the DC suburbs -- in December of 2006.  But I occasionally find things that say "Stop and Shop."  We only lived in New England for 21 months and moved away fifteen years ago.  *Those* are old spices.

Oh no they aren't. I had spices that belonged to my great aunt. I'd estimate most of them were purchased in the 1950s or 1960s. They were definitely older than me! Some had lost their flavor and I threw them away, but most of them I used. I'm not proud.

• Like 1

Mine had a use-by of 2011 and just went into the trash. I was surprised it was still there. I recently went through some of that stuff and threw out a fairly old bottle of soy sauce as well as a 5-6 yo bottle of Sriracha, of which I think I used a couple of tsp for a recipe that none of us liked years ago.

• Like 1