Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - Happy New Year

Robin M

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eliana, having seen the awe-inspiring pics of your bookshelves earlier in the year I cannot imagine how you will find room for half a bookstore!

We didn't take all the books - I passed on fishing, 'humor', films, popular fiction, and a few other categories... and they were also finding ways to fit more into the other half of their space... but it is a crazy abundance of books!

My middle daughter has offered part of her bedroom as a library annex - she's away at school most of the year, thinks her room is too big (the 'family room' is her bedroom - we didn't need another living room type space and we did need another bedroom), and rearranging will give her a more private space (the room doesn't have a door)... so the art books (including drama and music) and the travel/geography/world cultures books are going there.  ...and we're going to replace some of the shorter shelves with taller ones to get more shelf space... and then we'll see how much more we need to adjust.

...but what a wonderful problem to have!

, this month's roster includes Deerskin,

Just a warning - Deerskin is unlike any other McKinley and is a really painful book to read.  (Brilliantly done, but intensely painful)  The book's opening is rather claustrophobic building to a really horrific incestuous rape.  The rest of the book has much healing and catharsis, but I've only ever managed to reread it once or twice...

...her other fairy tale retellings are very different - they are some of my cozy, safe, happy reading.

Another suggestion for author month -- Marco Polo. That's a completely selfish recommendation from me because I want to read his work this year, along with a couple of other companion pieces. I know crstarlette mentioned wanting to join in -- anyone else???

And, I'll toss out Kurt Vonnegut's name into the pile too since I'm a huge fan.

Here are exactly 52 books I could read this year, if only I would concentrate on my own shelves  :lol:  (instead of the library, additional book acquisitions, etc...)... (I must chant to myself that I want to read all of these & resist the urge to request oodles of library books. Hard to do because I just got an email saying that one of my library requests is now here.)

I'd love to do Marco Polo... and I'm wanting to read more Vonnegut this year too.  (though I'm not sure which one/ones)

*sigh*  Yes.  I was going to read only from my shelves last term... and all I managed to do was slow down my library madness...  I don't think I could read much more per year, and even as quickly as I read, I can't keep up with my tbr lists!  ...but it is nice to know I will never run out of books I passionately want to read!  (What a dreadful thought, yes?)

Yep, that was me.

The other books I have are The Travels of Marco Polo (the particular version I linked) & In the Footsteps of Marco Polo. I'd like to read all three of these in tandem at some point this year.

That sounds like fun - and all three are things I'd like to read sometime soon.  (and I own at least two of them - finding things is a little hard at the moment...)

I would say welcome to anyone new, but I feel funny doing it because I am new, too. So know I am not ignoring you. : )

We have been playing 7 Wonders, this year's family game. It's directions are so miserable that youngest gave up and made his cousin (an expert at this sort of thing) read them. The game has been lots of fun, though. Apparently, I don't mess it up enough for youngest (and probably cousin) to want to exclude me. At least, so far. Usually, I am playing for a different goal than they are (not necessarily to win) and it throws their game strategy completely off. Neither of them has yet solved the game, either, and they have declared that there are enough variables (me being one of them I suspect) that they probably won't be able to. We have doped out some sort of strategy. I was hoping to play last night, but cousin was uncharacteristically excited about a game called... big sigh... guns and cash. It is a bluffing game. I am a good mummy. I herded everyone I could into a room far from the 4yo asleep on the sofa and for the first time in years picked up a toy gun. In the process of trying not to kill anyone, I won. I think this is why youngest and cousin sometimes find it inconvenient to play with me. Is it cheating not to try to win?

I got to look at that book someone linked recently (Stacia?) about the oldest living things. It was given to a clan member at her birthday party today. Interesting. Lots of dates with "(contested)" next to them. Like the excedingly old hucklberry bush. That particular photo was underwhelming. : ) The bristlecones photo well, though.

Nan

Here are the Author Flavors of the Month.  Any changes, suggestions or questions????

• January: Haruki Murakami 
  • February: Jane Austen
  • March: Charlotte Bronte
  • April: C.S. Lewis
  • May: Dante - Purgatorio
  • June: Alexander Dumas
  • July: Tracy Chevalier
  • August: Isabelle Allende
  • September: Michel De Montaigne
  • October: Anne Rice
  • November: Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • December: Henry James

Montaigne, Dostoevsky, and James are all ones I think I'd like to join in on. Maybe the Austen and the Bronte...

The read along I'm really, really excited about - and my big stretch for January - is Joyce's Ulysses.  Classics and the Western Canon (on Goodreads) is starting it the 7th, with a very experienced guide.  ...is anyone else interested in trying it?

:seeya:  Hi, I'm new to BaW threads too. Just planning to hang around. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around Robin's first post and all the challenges.

Currently reading the 3rd Flavia deLuce book, A Red Herring Without Mustard.

The Unspeakable (Daum). That last one was one of the books I received for Christmas, by the way -- a collection of essays that made several "best of" lists at the end of the year. It deserves the praise. Just terrific.

I've added it to my library wish list - thank you, my dear!

I had more plague books planned; but my meta-self rebelled at my primary self's setting reading requirements for her. This is why I should stick to post-hoc challenges.

I know that feeling!  For me, sticking with broader challenges (the world travel and the A to Z) avoids some of that conflict - though I've done a few more specific ones.  ...but the 5/5/5 challenges bring out my ornery streak... though I do seem to end up having themes....  (I've discovered that adding a book to my Goodreads 'currently reading' shelf has a similar effect.)

I am most excited about the arrival of my BioPsych textbook, but I don't know if textbooks count :)

...and, of course textbooks count!  (I'm getting very excited about my Anatomy and Physiology class and am eying my text eagerly.

...but BioPsych sounds like even more fun!

I think I have to commit to a dusty challenge for this year (if I can count as 'dusty' anything I owned at the start of the year)... we have received several thousand books from a bookstore that had to cut its available space in half.

...I am still reeling from the bounty... and still sorting and stacking and searching for new shelves.  The majority of the books are history - many of them books I've longed for for years or have on my library lists - but there is archaeology, literature, books about books, travel, art, science, nature, political science, and much more.

...I am also feeling called to more nonfiction reading this year now that I have such an increased wealth of choices.

Not every book is a keeper for us (I'll try to share titles that might appeal to folks here in case I can pass them on to any of you!  ...one immediate category is a pile of New Testament Greek books (and a box of vocab flash cards!).  If those are of interest to anyone, let me know!

Wow. That is quite a bounty and can't imagine where you are going to house them all.  Definitely share some titles and I'll sure we'll have a few takers. We'll have our very own 52 books library.  :hurray:

Violet Crown - For June, can we choose Dumas fils rather than Dumas pĂƒÂ¨re? I've had Camille on standby for a while.

Definitely.  Go with who, what, where and go off on any Rabbit trails you choose.

Stacia: Another suggestion for author month -- Marco Polo. That's a completely selfish recommendation from me because I want to read his work this year, along with a couple of other companion pieces. I know crstarlette mentioned wanting to join in -- anyone else???

We'll put him in September with Michel De Montaigne and make it "M" month.  I also have Invisible Cities in my stacks.  And have been wanted to see In the Footsteps of Marco Polo for quite a while. 

A big welcome to all the newbies!  So glad to have you. 

Cinders: Hi, I'm new to BaW threads too. Just planning to hang around. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around Robin's first post and all the challenges.

So sorry, I did go a smidge overboard this year with the first post.  All the challenges are optional and just for fun.  Don't think you have to do them all. 

Here are the Author Flavors of the Month.  Any changes, suggestions or questions????

• January: Haruki Murakami 
  • February: Jane Austen
  • March: Charlotte Bronte
  • April: C.S. Lewis
  • May: Dante - Purgatorio
  • June: Alexander Dumas
  • July: Tracy Chevalier
  • August: Isabelle Allende
  • September: Michel De Montaigne
  • October: Anne Rice
  • November: Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • December: Henry James

I do believe I will join everyone this year! I need to mix up my reads. I am currently finishing up a series by Lynn Kurland (sci fi). I typically enjoy a good mixture of fluff with my reads so the Author Flavors of the Month will be a good challenge for me!

I am starting with Haruki Murakami's: The Strange Library

Just popping back in to say the current releasehttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19288239-colorless-tsukuru-tazaki-and-his-years-of-pilgrimageof Murakami's was probably the easiest to read of the three I have read so far. 1Q84 is my favourite. Pretty high up there all time favorite wise. ;)

Thanks, I will try 1Q84, then.  Nothing like jumping in with a good stretching read - I've never even heard of this author before and it's probably not something I would have picked for myself.

Multi-quote is still not working so forgive multiple posts...

Just a warning - Deerskin is unlike any other McKinley and is a really painful book to read.  (Brilliantly done, but intensely painful)  The book's opening is rather claustrophobic building to a really horrific incestuous rape.  The rest of the book has much healing and catharsis, but I've only ever managed to reread it once or twice...

...her other fairy tale retellings are very different - they are some of my cozy, safe, happy reading.

Thanks, Eliana. You'd mentioned that before so I knew what I was getting into before I ordered it. I've barely started it. I hope her writing is good because I find the description of the plot as it's laid out on Amazon and GR compelling--the depth and development of the relationship between the heroine and her animal beloved is what is drawing me.

Hello Everyone!

So excited to join for 2015!

Welcome to you, MiMi!

I would like to join for the first time.  :seeya:

and to you, too, idnib!

I do believe I will join everyone this year!

and you ...

I would like to join!

and you ...

:seeya:  Hi, I'm new to BaW threads too. Just planning to hang around.

and you ...

I would like to try to get 52 books in this year, so I believe I will join (if that's ok)!

and you!

Regards,

Kareni

I would say welcome to anyone new, but I feel funny doing it because I am new, too. So know I am not ignoring you. : )

We have been playing 7 Wonders, this year's family game. It's directions are so miserable that youngest gave up and made his cousin (an expert at this sort of thing) read them. The game has been lots of fun, though. Apparently, I don't mess it up enough for youngest (and probably cousin) to want to exclude me. At least, so far. Usually, I am playing for a different goal than they are (not necessarily to win) and it throws their game strategy completely off. Neither of them has yet solved the game, either, and they have declared that there are enough variables (me being one of them I suspect) that they probably won't be able to. We have doped out some sort of strategy. I was hoping to play last night, but cousin was uncharacteristically excited about a game called... big sigh... guns and cash. It is a bluffing game. I am a good mummy. I herded everyone I could into a room far from the 4yo asleep on the sofa and for the first time in years picked up a toy gun. In the process of trying not to kill anyone, I won. I think this is why youngest and cousin sometimes find it inconvenient to play with me. Is it cheating not to try to win?

I got to look at that book someone linked recently (Stacia?) about the oldest living things. It was given to a clan member at her birthday party today. Interesting. Lots of dates with "(contested)" next to them. Like the excedingly old hucklberry bush. That particular photo was underwhelming. : ) The bristlecones photo well, though.

Nan

Seven Wonders was our new game last Christmas and we have really enjoyed playing it. Even me, a mostly non-gamer, at least compared to my lads. That said I'm rather keen on Mystery of the Abbey and we've really been enjoying ongoing rounds of Wizards.

I'd like to add Murakami but I'm not sure yet if I will.  

OK, that was fast. I'm quoting myself to say I checked out 1Q84 and am intrigued so I'm adding this to the list.

I'd never heard of Murakami before this thread so I wanted to find out more before committing. 

Nan

We got Through the Ages ourselves. A LOT of fun, but it's a bit complicated to learn the basics at first. We were playing that all break.

Those of you that are new to Murakami & are trying out 1Q84, just be aware that it is a major chunkster of a book! I love it but it is well over 800 pages if I'm remembering correctly.

I think I've decided to shelve the idea of Murakami's Underground for now. I think I would find it a depressing way to start the year. Otoh, I've requested (from the library) what is probably his shortest work (only 96 pages), lol. I figure that's doable for me right now as I try to tackle some of my own stacks in the meantime.

The Strange Library

An Amazon Best Book of the Month, December 2014: What an odd and oddly beautiful little book. A little boy enters a quiet library -- Ă¢â‚¬Å“even more hushed than usual,Ă¢â‚¬ weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re told in the opening line -- and is sent to Room 107, where he meets a creepy old librarian who leads him deep into a maze of dark catacombs beneath the library. There, we learn of the librarianĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ghoulish designs and the boy encounters a small man wearing the skin of a sheep and a pretty young girl pushing a teacart, their worlds now Ă¢â‚¬Å“all jumbled together.Ă¢â‚¬ Not even fresh-made doughnuts can sweeten the boyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s nightmarish predicament as the librarianĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s prisoner. The Strange Library was designed and illustrated by famed book jacket designer (and frequent Murakami collaborator) Chip Kidd, whose moody and mysterious depictions of a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s (and a parentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s) darkest dream match MurakamiĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s surreal imagination. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to discern the message. Maybe something about knowledge being free or the value of libraries. No matter. This is vintage Murakami and, at the same time, something entirely fresh. No one puts animal skins on humans like Murakami. No one would dare. --Neal Thompson

Btw, welcome everyone! It's always fun to meet new faces on the BaW thread!

Those of you that are new to Murakami & are trying out 1Q84, just be aware that it is a major chunkster of a book! I love it but it is well over 800 pages if I'm remembering correctly.

I think I've decided to shelve the idea of Murakami's Underground for now. I think I would find it a depressing way to start the year. Otoh, I've requested (from the library) what is probably his shortest work (only 96 pages), lol. I figure that's doable for me right now as I try to tackle some of my own stacks in the meantime.

The Strange Library

Btw, welcome everyone! It's always fun to meet new faces on the BaW thread!

Just finished The Strange Library in in a whopping 30 minutes. Interesting book. I'm off to hunt down more of his.

Thanks for the warning! I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens. I need to broaden my authors.

I will have to look it up. I've never heard any of her music. Thanks!

Another suggestion, this by a friend who's doing lovely things with Hildegard's music...more information here if you're interested. She can be seen singing and conducting in the video below, first to sing and the conductor. It's rather long but the shots of the Basilica of the Black Madonna and the ordinariness of the women combined with the sublimity of the music is lovely.

Montaigne, Dostoevsky, and James are all ones I think I'd like to join in on. Maybe the Austen and the Bronte...

The read along I'm really, really excited about - and my big stretch for January - is Joyce's Ulysses.  Classics and the Western Canon (on Goodreads) is starting it the 7th, with a very experienced guide.  ...is anyone else interested in trying it?

I'm thinking about it. I love the site someone in your GR group linked to: The Joyce Project. I may read the whole book on that site even though my eyes will complain. I like the 12-week schedule, the notes on the linked website and the idea of reading through the comments and questions of the other readers in the group. 

In my effort to (somewhat, sort-of) radically simplify my life in 2015, I'm cleaning off bookshelves. If any BaWers (oldies, newbies, lurkers) want any of the following books, let me know within the next week (putting a time limit because I'd like them out of the house regardless) & I'll send them to you. Please PM me through this board. Not sure how soon I'll get to the post office, but hopefully soon. Thanks!

Most of these are kids' books -- hoping to have some of mine to post soon too.

Up for grabs:

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You by Matthew Inman (published by The Oatmeal)

Crows & Cards by Joseph Helgerson

Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction by John Austin

A set of the Pseudonymous Bosch "The Secret Books" (books 1-5; prefer to send as a set)

Happy New Year!

I disappeared around the middle of 2014 when things got hectic here. I kept meaning to return but never found a good time to jump back in. Stacia and I pm'd on Goodreads and she convinced me not to wait until the new year and to just come back. I had every intention of doing so, but time got away from me and here I am at the start of a new year. I'm glad to be back. 

I know I missed the Wrap-Up but I'll post some (5) of my hits and misses for 2014:

First the bad. I never really have one-star books because if I'm really hating a book I just stop reading it. I have no qualms about abandoning because there are so many good books waiting for me that I refuse to waste my time on something I don't like. So these books are really more like disappointments than books I hated.

1. The Golem and the Jinni - I started out really liking this one, but in the end I felt the author could have done so much more. 

2. Kafka on the Shore - This was 2nd my Murakami (1Q84 was my first) and I realize that his writing is just not for me.

3. Life Below Stairs - I enjoy this kind of information and hoped I'd get the skinny on the "real" lives of Downton Abbey type servants. Instead it read like a high school student's report on Edwardian era servants. It's the only non-fiction on my disappointment list.

4. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - I had hoped to find a new mystery series. My fellow mystery lovers often recommend this series, but I just didn't like it. I really didn't like the characters. I actually tried reading the second book before giving up on that book, and the series overall. 

5. Moby Dick - yes, that Moby Dick. I saved it for last on my list because it might cause some people to gasp aloud. ;) I didn't hate it, and even found some parts of it very enjoyable, but overall it gets a thumbs down from me. It's on my list of highly overrated classics (which is actually a rather short list). The best thing I can say about it is I can cross it off my bucket list.

Some of my favorites - 

Their Eyes Were Watching God - I don't know why it took me so long to read this, especially since it's somewhat local for me. I loved Hurston's writing as much as the story itself.

The Way We Live Now - I never heard of this book until a few months ago, but wow. Why isn't this on everyone's list of must read classics? 

Les Miserables - A reread that was well worth the six months I took to read it a second time. (I did not read an illustrated version and don't know why I can only come up with this link on Goodreads)

Galore - If you haven't already read this, go put it on your TBR list. Now. For 2015. Loved, loved, loved it.

Daniel Deronda - This was only my second George Eliot (first was Middlemarch) but it won't be my last. I really enjoyed this one. After I read it, I watched the BBC series. It doesn't do the book justice, but young Hugh Dancy is yummy.

It's late, so I'm going to sign off. Tomorrow I'll catch up on the thread and add my 2015 plans.

Happy New Year!

I disappeared around the middle of 2014 when things got hectic here. I kept meaning to return but never found a good time to jump back in. Stacia and I pm'd on Goodreads and she convinced me not to wait until the new year and to just come back. I had every intention of doing so, but time got away from me and here I am at the start of a new year. I'm glad to be back. 

<snip>

Galore - If you haven't already read this, go put it on your TBR list. Now. For 2015. Loved, loved, loved it.

Kathy, good to see you again!

Agree about Galore. Really a great book. Highly recommended from me too.

More books up for grabs. Please PM me through this board w/in a week if you want me to send you any of the following books:

Scherzo by Jim Williams

One Man Caravan by Robert Edison Fulton, Jr.

The Illustrated Longitude by Dava Sobel

1491 by Charles Mann

Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis

The Castle in Transylvania by Jules Verne

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

Gardening in the South: Vegetables & Fruits by Don Hastings

Changeless and Blameless by Gail Carriger (books 2 & 3 in the Parasol Protectorate series)

Ready to go for 2015. I may join in on a few read-alongs/mini challenges, but only the ones that pull at me. I know Murakami is not for me; I'm thinking Wuthering Heights may be a suitable January read for me. There was a bit of chat on this one on the last thread--I remember liking it as a teen during a high school English lit class. Wondering what I'll think of it now, and being on the moors for dark. long, wet, rainy January just feels right. I'll join in on C.S. Lewis' space trilogy whenever that happens. I may read some authors in different months than specified. I'm motivated right now to read for interest and not make it a chore or item to check off from a list of things to do.

Up next: I checked out The Circle (by David Eggers I think) right before break and need to get back to that. Dh has finished it. It's a novel to make you fear the brave new world of the Facebook/Google society. I think. Got a few new books for Christmas--Moriarty (need to read a few relevant Sherlock Holmes stories first), As You Wish by Cary Elwes about The Princess Bride movie, Unbroken, a book about Oregon and the Civil War. I want to read more by Andrea HĂƒÂ¶st since I so enjoyed her Touchstone series at the end of the year. But my main goal for 2015 is to read some of the stuff already on my shelves, particularly some of my mom's books.

Happy New Reading Year everyone!

ETA: My 12 yo and I are supposed to be doing the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain workbook for art this year, but as usual art has fallen by the wayside. Maybe we'll make more of an effort in the coming semester.

Peeking slooooooooooowly around the edge of the door...

I dunno. Still looks kinda scary/intimidating in here. :D

Do textbooks that I use to teach my courses count? If they do, I might have a shot at hitting 52. ;)

Come on in, curl up on one of the comfy couches or settle down in one of the Overstuffed chairs, have a cup of tea, or wine if you prefer. We won't bite.

I usually follow along with this challenge from Robin's blog, linking my reviews, but I'm going try to post here too this year.  I see a number of excellent plans going on.  I can't wait to get started!

ETA:

As for my challenges, I'm going to do:

52 Books in 52 Weeks

Jane Austen Project

Reading England 2015

Back To The Classics 2015

Pre-Printing Press Challenge 2015

TBR Pile Challenge 2015

The Canterbury/Brubury Tales read

Books in Translation Challenge 2015

Deal Me In Challenge 2015

And continued from last year:

C.S. Lewis Project

Don't gasp.  I participated in 15 challenges last year, so I am slowly cutting back! ;-)

I'm going to read and follow along, Eliana, but I probably won't participate in the discussion.  I love the group, but they have so many posts going on that if you leave for Ă‚Â½ a day, when you come back there are about 50 posts to read through.  This book is going to be challenging enough for me, so a silent lurker I will be this time.  It sounds like you're joining in .....???  If so, I'll be looking forward to your posts.

I'm still working on Mansfield Park, that will probably count for my Jane Austen. I don't really want to read another in Feb. I'm also reading/listening to Common Sense by Paine and will continue with his other famous works after that.

I'm a little leery about Murakami. Is there a book that is a Murakami lite? Did you know he has a non-fiction book for runners? Dh read it last year.

Welcome to all the newcomers! Happy New Year to all!

I'm a little leery about Murakami. Is there book that is a Murakami lite?

Welcome to all the newcomers! Happy New Year to all!

Haha. This is how I'm feeling. I'm pretty sure if I don't care for Gaiman, I won't like Murakami either. I gave up on that book a couple years ago with all the disappearing cats and such. Don't give up on me completely though. I may add fairy tales to the mix. dd (21) and I have seen Into the Woods twice this week!

Happy New Year!

I know I missed the Wrap-Up but I'll post some (5) of my hits and misses for 2014:

First the bad. I never really have one-star books because if I'm really hating a book I just stop reading it. I have no qualms about abandoning because there are so many good books waiting for me that I refuse to waste my time on something I don't like. So these books are really more like disappointments than books I hated.

1. The Golem and the Jinni - I started out really liking this one, but in the end I felt the author could have done so much more. 

2. Kafka on the Shore - This was my Murakami (1Q84 was my first) and I realize that his writing is just not for me.

3. Life Below Stairs - I enjoy this kind of information and hoped I'd get the skinny on the "real" lives of Downton Abbey type servants. Instead it read like a high school student's report on Edwardian era servants. It's the only non-fiction on my disappointment list.

4. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - I had hoped to find a new mystery series. My fellow mystery lovers often recommend this series, but I just didn't like it. I really didn't like the characters. I actually tried reading the second book before giving up on that book, and the series overall. 

5. Moby Dick - yes, that Moby Dick. I saved it for last on my list because it might cause some people to gasp aloud. ;) I didn't hate it, and even found some parts of it very enjoyable, but overall it gets a thumbs down from me. It's on my list of highly overrated classics (which is actually a rather short list). The best thing I can say about it is I can cross it off my bucket list.

Some of my favorites - 

Their Eyes Were Watching God - I don't know why it took me so long to read this, especially since it's somewhat local for me. I loved Hurston's writing as much as the story itself.

The Way We Live Now - I never heard of this book until a few months ago, but wow. Why isn't this on everyone's list of must read classics? 

Les Miserables - A reread that was well worth the six months I took to read it a second time. (I did not read an illustrated version and don't know why I can only come up with this link on Goodreads)

Daniel Deronda - This was only my second George Eliot (first was Middlemarch) but it won't be my last. I really enjoyed this one. After I read it, I watched the BBC series. It doesn't do the book justice, but young Hugh Dancy is yummy.

It's late, so I'm going to sign off. Tomorrow I'll catch up on the thread and add my 2015 plans.

Hi Kathy!  It is good to see you again here even if you are a trouble maker.  ;)  I have this resolution to make a dent in the dusties and finish up some '14 things.  But then you have to recommend a Trollope with which I am unfamiliar on a day when I am going to the library to return books.  You see, I have no willpower.  None.  But the upshot of the tale is that The Way We Live Now is checked out--so on the list it goes.  Galore is check out as well.  Perhaps the Fates recognize that it is time to read and clear out some volumes--or else!

I love Moby Dick but admit that I read it in a New England town that had formerly been a whaling village, complete with the still standing candle house where oil was processed.  It was more than a novel for me as I read parts of it while sitting on the beach.  Universal metaphors aside, Moby Dick gave me a great understanding of a particular time in a particular place.

By the way, I agree with your assessment on the Flavia mysteries.  I read three perhaps.  I really wanted to like them but found something missing. 

Not for our gentle readers, but have you tried Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano mysteries, translated from the Italian and set in Sicily?  Jenn directed me to these.

First book of the year finished last night! It would be more impressive if I hadn't started it two weeks ago. But anyway.

1. Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

I had expected that, given the importance of his visit to the Galapagos to his theory of natural selection and descent with modification, that there would be much discussion of the islands' species. But though Darwin provides copious examples from organisms in nature and from domestic species throughout the book, only in one brief passage does he mention the Galapagos. But he frequently mentions the short-faced tumbler pigeon, a bird popular among Victorian pigeon fanciers. Take a look at this creature:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumbler_pigeons#/image/File:Berlin_short_faced_tumbler.jpg

And check out the tumbling. I didn't know birds could do this.

I did appreciate how thick on the ground Darwin's examples are. My biggest complaint with last year's read of Theory of the Leisure Class was Veblen's lack of examples, making it difficult to grasp his theories about societies and cultures. Darwin on other hand is right there with ants, orchids, and elephants illustrating his observations, conclusions, and speculation.

The Origin of Species does leave you wishing for a time machine so you could go tell him about chromosomes and continental drift. But he makes some pretty good guesses about "inherited tendencies" and geographic distribution, considering.

I had also started Andrei Platonov's Soviet-era novel The Foundation Pit before Christmas, but I think I left it at my in-laws'. Maybe I'll finish off the next Brigadier Gerard collection instead. If I were a better person I would jump into Eliana's Ulysses read; but the stars are not yet aligned.

Lady Florida--I loved The Way We Live Now. If you enjoy novels about people behaving scandalously, you might like Bel-Ami, if you haven't read it already. Someone is going to like that novel besides me.

I joined the read along with that group too. I'm looking forward to it. 

Nan in Mass:  

Love your quote, Uff Da. When mine were small and running bare up at the lake cabin for vacation, I let them draw on themselves with crayola marker. It didn,t scrub off right away, but it did eventually. The three year old had me draw on him. Then he got very sick and I wound up in the doctor,s office with a very pale limp child lying on the doctor,s table with a giant black skull and crossbones on his tummy. Most embarrassing.

Nan 

This reminds me a bit of Sally Mann's photography.  How her children ran free and nude and she photographed them.  I think the reception she recieved for her work surprised her just as Georgia O'Keefe was surprised by how Steiglitz's nudes of her were recieved by the public.  Something they considered beautiful was twisted into something controversial... 

Eliana- I may join you for Ulysses.  I've always wanted to read it but I don't think I was ready before.  Maybe this is the year?

I read all four of the SJ Parris books last year. They made my favorites list. Hope you enjoy this one. Have you read the first one, Heresyhttp://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/mar/13/heresy-sj-parriswhich was probably my absolute favorite?

ETA. Just wanted to add a warm welcome to you and all the new people. Great to see so many!

I finished the book last night after only starting it the night before! I was completely engrossed and couldn't put it down. I was thinking about reading Heresy  after Marukami.

Got a few new books for Christmas--As You Wish by Cary Elwes about The Princess Bride movie, Unbroken,

Both of those are on my TBR list. We love The Princess Bride movie in this house (none of us have read the book).

Dh read Unbroken. He finished before Christmas and is still talking about it. He really liked it. People who have read the book seem somewhat disappointed in the movie. 

I  I love the group, but they have so many posts going on that if you leave for Ă‚Â½ a day, when you come back there are about 50 posts to read through.  This book is going to be challenging enough for me, so a silent lurker I will be this time.  It sounds like you're joining in .....???  If so, I'll be looking forward to your posts.

They can be a bit intimidating at times too, though I don't think any of them mean to be. I've quietly done several read-alongs with them without participating in the discussion. Just being able to read the discussion has helped with my understanding of some difficult books though.

Sorry for all the quotes in separate posts. The multi-quote feature hasn't been working for me for several days now. I posted on the tech board but haven't had a response from anyone official. I even thought I'd open a second window and just copy and paste different quotes, but when I switch to html the entire quote disappears!

Anyway...

First book of the year finished last night! It would be more impressive if I hadn't started it two weeks ago. But anyway.

1. Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

Lady Florida--I loved The Way We Live Now. If you enjoy novels about people behaving scandalously, you might like Bel-Ami, if you haven't read it already. Someone is going to like that novel besides me.

I'm currently reading The Origin of the Species with a Goodreads group dedicate to that book. They also have suggestions for side-along reads. I've been surprised at some of the things he knew but didn't know he knew. He also came so close on some issues, but was really off on others. 

Thanks for the Bel-Ami suggestion. A tip for anyone who might decide to search for it - be sure to put Bel-Ami book or classic in the search. When I just searched the title I came up with some rather, um, interesting possibilities.  :eek:  At first I thought, "Wow, Violet Crown? Really?" Then I realized that couldn't be right and searched a little further. :)

I also tried to like the Flavia de Luce series.  I enjoyed the first book, but then when I started the second, I was disappointed - it felt like a cookie cutter of the first - take the same characters, identical conflicts down to the older sister cruelly teasing about the dead mother not loving Flavia, Flavia running off in tears and plotting a chemical revenge.  It was too much deja vu for a mystery.  I hate it when writers do that! I love to keep reading books from the same writer, but not when they feel like a template.

I did really enjoy Dave Egger's The Circle.  I know it is a little bit manipulative, but I actually found it a brilliant exploration of the consequences of an insidious, yet utter, loss of privacy.  And it makes you start noticing things - the survey requests, the tailored ads, little things that have changed in the internet experience over the years, and it makes you think about where all the social media stuff might be going.  I found it very thought provoking, anyway.