Menu

Finally on meds that help and insurance doesn't cover them

fourcatmom

So frustrating...after over two and half years the Doctor finally put me on a new medication that is actually helping me breathe better and I found out today that the insurance doesn't cover it and it's only $900 each and that would be a monthly cost.

I hope there a way for the doctor to fight or prove that I need this??? Not sure how it works. Every other medication has not helped.

Feeling frustrated! :glare:

(I know I am lucky to have good insurance as many people don't and I have gotten a lot of great medical care but it's just frustrating to know that something finally can help and that not have a way to get it). Why does medication even cost that much? :sad:

-Find out what the appeal process is for your insurance.

-Look into rebates (or whatever) from the drug manufacturer.

-Check whether you have a prescription out of pocket max. Our insurance has been ornery with meds, but we have an OOP max that eventually kicks in.

Okay, thank you. I think the dr. knew it might be a a fight so he gave me another sample for next month and put the prescription in to see if they would approve it. I felt so hopeful after so long to finally have some relief so it was just really disappointing. I have been on enough, hoping they can prove a need.

So frustrating...after over two and half years the Doctor finally put me on a new medication that is actually helping me breathe better and I found out today that the insurance doesn't cover it and it's only $900 each and that would be a monthly cost.

I hope there a way for the doctor to fight or prove that I need this??? Not sure how it works. Every other medication has not helped.

Feeling frustrated! :glare:

(I know I am lucky to have good insurance as many people don't and I have gotten a lot of great medical care but it's just frustrating to know that something finally can help and that not have a way to get it). Why does medication even cost that much? :sad:

Your doctor will probably have more luck convincing them, medically, to cover it than you.  Good luck.

:grouphug:

Thank you everyone! I feel a bit more hopeful knowing that it can be appealed. My dr is contacting them, there is no other generic or substitute meds he wants me on so we will see. I will look into the other options as well.

Thank you for the advice, support and hugs! :001_smile:

Yes, don't give up.  I've done it over and over, and nearly always I get it approved or get it discounted enough that it is manageable.  Call, write letters, what ever you need to do.

I once wrote a surgeon a personal letter about how much we appreciated him and how we would pay his bill no matter what, even if was really difficult and would take me a year or more.  He was out-of-network, but had truly made such a difference on a difficult surgery.  What I was hoping for better terms than I had been told by the billing office.

They called me a week later to say that he told the billing department to write off half of his fee and to put us on a zero percent, one-year payment plan.  I took that!

Every insurer we've ever had, for decades, not just the past couple of years, has had a process for covering non-covered drugs due to medical necessity. Once the covered, less expensive drugs have been tried, the physician goes through a process with the insurer. Often, they are successful at getting the medication covered at the covered rates.

Do call all the pharmacies in the area and get their price without insurance. They may also have another price under their discount plan. For ex, my with insurance price for one med recently, 20 tablets, was $95. Without insurance, under a discount plan from a chain pharmacy, it was 19.99. The pharmacist wasnt aware that the savings could be that much, as we are all getting used to the price hikes that came with the obamacare plans.the discount plan was free to sign up for on the spot.

Huge price differentials between prices with insurance and without have been around eons before the ACA was implemented.

So true. But for me and my circle, paying less by not using our insurance is brand new, with Obamacare.

I started on metformin ~6 years ago.  Target never runs it through my insurance because it is cheaper without.  This isn't something new.