Menu

Livid and sad for DH

Alicia64

Dh never complains about pain. So on the rare occasion that he does complain -- I take it seriously. DH had a temporary crown put on a tooth on Tuesday -- today, Saturday, it fell off during breakfast while he was eating pancakes.

We were at a fancy hotel for my birthday (in town) and within an hour the pain hit him hard. I said, "Call you dentist and if he can't see you at least ask him to call in some pain meds that we can pick up."

He actually called which shocked me. He's usually Mr. It Can Wait I'm Fine.

That was at 11 a.m. It's 7:00 now and he hasn't received a call back.

To make the situation slightly ironic, a woman was in the dental office complaining about a temp. crown falling off. The day that DH was in to get his temp. crown on.

To make it more annoying, he can see the state of his tooth -- the one that had the temp. crown on -- and he said it looks like a mess. Like he needs a root canal. (He's had a lot of dental work and knows probably more than he'd like to know.) He basically said, "I'm finding it hard to believe he decided to put a temp crown on such a bad looking tooth. Even I can see it probably needs a root canal."

My question: don't most dentists have an emergency plan for patients like DH? Our ortho sure does. The kids and I see a different dentist who I think DH is going to next.

But wouldn't you expect a dentist to at least call in pain meds in a situation like this?

Update at 8:15 -- dentist finally called DH. DH has a plan for tonight and Sunday and then will make an appoint. for Monday.

I ended up calling the dentist and just go an answering machine like DH. Then I emailed him from his website saying, "Maybe somebody is monitoring this email. . ." I think somebody was because that's when the dentist called.

LAME!

Thanks for your help -- I really felt supported in being mad.

Alley

I would definitely have expected a call back by now.  The answering service or whomever should have contacted the dentist him/herself or whomever s/he has covering.

Inexcusable.

If you have a different dentist who you and the kids have seen, I'd contact him/her….and they might help.  Only problem is you might end up double paying.

Update at 8:15 -- dentist finally called DH. DH has a plan for tonight and Sunday and then will make an appoint. for Monday.

I called the dentist and just go an answering machine like DH. Then I emailed him from his website saying, "Maybe somebody is monitoring this email. . ."

LAME!

Thanks for your help -- I really felt supported in being mad.

Alley

Regarding the pain, I agree with a previous poster.  When DH had a lot of pain for his tooth, the dentist couldn't get him in until the next business day (Monday). 

She said that if he can't handle the pain to go to the ER so he doesn't need to suffer needlessly while he is waiting.

:grouphug: to you and your DH.

There's no pain like tooth pain! Poor DH. I left my dentist over a similar situation. I went in with tooth pain, he said the tooth looked fine and it was probably a sinus infection (top back tooth) that was causing the pain. Went to the regular Dr.who said that she didn't think it was a sinus thing, but prescribed antibiotics just in case. Pain went nuts over Thanksgiving weekend and finally called a friend's dentist who she highly recommended. They got me in first thing Monday morning, and got me a next day appointment with the endodontist and gave me a prescription for pain reliever.

Your DH can alternate tylenol and advil every 3 hours - that's what my dentist recommended for tooth pain. Also, clove oil can help. Hope he feels better soon!

The dentists where I live do not have emergency numbers or any way to reach them on the weekend, so I that part does not concern me. When my DS woke up on a Saturday with an obviously abscessed tooth, I called our regular dentist office and all the other dentists with 45 min of our home. None of them had an answering service. I did end up taking my DS to his regular dr office on a Saturday morning to get antibiotics while we waited to get him to a dentist on Monday.

Now, if you DH thinks that there is a problem with how the work was done, that would cause me to look for another dentist

Dental pain is horrible!! Ask me how I know. Your dentist should have an emergency number, at least an answering service that can contact your dentist or whatever dentist is taking his/her calls. Clove oil helped me when over the counter meds didn't. You apply it to the tooth. It usually comes with tiny cotton balls or you can swab it on with a q-tip. Just for future reference.

My younger boy had his metal crown stuck by toffee and fell out. Hubby called our family dentist and the dentist told us to just bring him in. Hubby drove home, got us to the dentist and my boy was attended to right after the dentist was done with the patient she was working on.

We had changed dentist a few times and this one has been the best so far.

My family dentist clinic is closed on weekends and no emergency number. So far we didn't have any dental emergencies on weekends.

most drugstores will carry temporary dental cement to put a crown back on.  I'm sorry I can't think of the name.  My friend told me about it (her son-il is a dentist) - just before I lost a temp crown between christmas and new years.  (I did have an allergic reaction to the eugenol, but most people shouldn't have a problem. I also used it longer than recommended becasue of the holidays.)

eta: the temp cement worked great - except for the allergic reaction. (I started benadryl and called my regular dr too.)

I think the eugenol was made from clove oil - and is very concentrated.  there were several brands, and all have it as an ingredient.

Last year while on vacation, my husband had TWO teeth that became infected at the same time, to the point where he needed immediate root canals.  (It was apparently very, very rare. )  He had had a dull pain for a long time, but they both erupted into the severe pain while on vacation.  (Of course!)   Our dentist told us that there is very few pain events that are as painful as the nerves in the teeth area.  He said to imagine the worst possible pain you have ever had, and that's what it's like.   My husband was apparently on the most powerful prescription pain medicine (so that he could last the 24-hour train ride home) on the market, and it barely touched it.   So, I can understand the pain your husband felt!

Last year while on vacation, my husband had TWO teeth that became infected at the same time, to the point where he needed immediate root canals.  (It was apparently very, very rare. )  He had had a dull pain for a long time, but they both erupted into the severe pain while on vacation.  (Of course!)   Our dentist told us that there is very few pain events that are as painful as the nerves in the teeth area.  He said to imagine the worst possible pain you have ever had, and that's what it's like.   My husband was apparently on the most powerful prescription pain medicine (so that he could last the 24-hour train ride home) on the market, and it barely touched it.   So, I can understand the pain your husband felt!

I've had some that were worse than any tooth pain I've ever had.  I had the eye infection from h3ll that felt like ground glass had been rubbed into my cornea.  (my health has also never been the same.)

My dentist gave me a little kit to recement the temporary crown if it fell off which they always seem to do.  I am glad he did because it came off over the weekend as usual.  I did manage to recement mine back in and that relieved 90 % of the pain and ibuprophin took care of the rest.  Tooth pain is the worst!!

Regarding the pain, I agree with a previous poster.  When DH had a lot of pain for his tooth, the dentist couldn't get him in until the next business day (Monday). 

She said that if he can't handle the pain to go to the ER so he doesn't need to suffer needlessly while he is waiting.

:grouphug: to you and your DH.

Why couldn't she just call in a scrip for pain meds if needed? You will pay a small fortune to go to the ER for pain. 

The dentists where I live do not have emergency numbers or any way to reach them on the weekend, so I that part does not concern me. When my DS woke up on a Saturday with an obviously abscessed tooth, I called our regular dentist office and all the other dentists with 45 min of our home. None of them had an answering service.  (snip)

That honestly amazes me. If an infection begins on Friday evening, and you can't get antibiotics, it can quickly spiral into a major medical problem. Dental problems do not limit themselves to weekday business hours any more than other medical problems do! And dentists are medical professionals. 

Of course a dentist should not be calling in antibiotics or pain meds for random people who call their office, but certainly they can for a patient they have just completed work on! My dentist emphasizes that infections need to be treated right away.