Menu

TMI question about male anatomy

I.Dup.

TMI..............

just wondering if it's normal for things to get less hard in the male department. No problem with erection, but it's not as hard as it used to be. We're still in our early 30s. Is this the beginnings of impotence?

asking for a friend of course.....

Having no formal training in the department aside from 25 years experience as a male. This is not abnormal, nor does it mean the beginning of impotence. So long as your friends husband can get it up (and keep it up), his erection being, uh...more maleable, isn't an immediate problem.

I have some older male friends who say that this will wax and wane, some erections will be harder than others. Your friends husband can always talk to his doctor if he has any concerns.

Yes, it is totally and completely normal, usually.  According to my husband's doctor, 70% of men over the age of 35 have erectile changes (anything from less hard to complete impotence).  Because it can be related to underlying health conditions, however, a complete physical and blood work is a good idea.  Just in case.

A full physical would be in order.  Likely is just normal but it is good to have a full physical anyway.  The regular blood work can check a lot of things that might be at play here. Some common issues are high blood pressure (might be high and you don't know it at all), heart disease, high blood sugars, etc.

could she just ask him to get his cholesterol checked? Is that a good indicator of heart disease status?

I don't think that would be the only factor. Dh has high-ish cholesterol--220's--as well as thyroid issues and does not have heart problems nor the other issue under consideration. He is nearly 50yo.

Blood pressure (and blood pressure meds) is a big contributor to erectile dysfunction.  I had an, um, friend who's husband had a whole conversation about this with his doctor just a few weeks ago.  I'd suggest your friend encourage her husband to have a complete physical with full blood work-up... maybe suggest a testosterone level test.  He doesn't necessarily need to talk specifically about this issue, especially since he was outraged when it was mentioned.

And more, um, build up and a longer anticipation time leading to the actual act can help in that department as well.

Men, they say peak at 18. I do not believe it is abnormal at all. I would suggest a talk with his doctor, as our can be a sign of other issues. There are many meds that can help. There are also things that restrict blood, that can be a tremendous help, and much cheaper than many meds. A thorough checkup should happen before any meds.

Regarding bringing it up to hubby. I  called my hubby 's doctor, and my step dad's when he came to me in tears poor man. Explained the issue, then made an appointment for a check up. Their doctor was able to bring it up as routine questions. Man to man, it was easier to take. Of course their doctor started with... Many men start to have issues such as.....

Both would have just keeled over to have to start a conversation like that.

Age does not matter. Somethings just are. When I was 21 I started having heart trouble. I was healthy, active and working out multiple hours a day before that with no issues. Suddenly, I started fainting left and right. I am on medication and it is under control and I have not had a fainting episode since. Raynaud's can cause similar issues in men and while raynauds is generally not an issue it could indicate and underlying rheumatic disease, but only a medical doctor can determine if it is something to be concerned about. 

wouldn't 33 be a little early for such severe heart issues as to cause problems down there!? No history of heart problems in his family...

How often is it not as hard? Is it an obvious 100% of the time difference or sometimes its normal and sometimes its less hard? Also, how often they have sex coulkd be a cause. My dh is 32 and is in phenomenal shape. His has varying degrees of hardness depending on how exhausted he is, how aroused he is, how often we have sex. So unless it was a complete change all the time I wouldn't be worried but may still suggest a physical if he hasn't had one in a long time.

wouldn't 33 be a little early for such severe heart issues as to cause problems down there!? No history of heart problems in his family...

There are tons of other reasons that cause problems down there.  Blood pressure (too high OR too low), low testosterone, stress, being tired, and so on.

Here's my dh's helpful advice (NOT!)  Maybe she is looser? :rolleyes:   I would get it checked out by a doctor if it is bothersome.  However, if it is just bothersome to your friend and her dh doesn't notice/recognize it as an issue, I am not sure there will be any receptiveness to get checked out. 

No. My husbands grandfather had heart issues at 27. Died at 37. My husband had issues that he should have paid attention to at 25, and had 3 stents at 35. 

It is never to young to have heart issues. And sometimes there aren't enough signs to worry folks until it is very late. Any blood flow issue should always be checked out. 

My female cousin died of a massive heart attack at 31, no history of heart conditions at all in my family.

I watched a documentary that said how much blood flows to that part of the body is directly linked to heart health and not age. The guy/Dr. explaining it was in his 70 and boasted no issues down there lol

I believe I have seen that documentary, too. I think the male part was referred to as sort of a canary in a coal mine, sending a warning that other things might be going on in the cardiovascular system.

How often is it not as hard? Is it an obvious 100% of the time difference or sometimes its normal and sometimes its less hard? Also, how often they have sex coulkd be a cause. My dh is 32 and is in phenomenal shape. His has varying degrees of hardness depending on how exhausted he is, how aroused he is, how often we have sex. So unless it was a complete change all the time I wouldn't be worried but may still suggest a physical if he hasn't had one in a long time.

Not sure...it's just something she's noticed in the past year or two. Not every time is it noticeable. Maybe it is just due to fatigue or stress?

Here's my dh's helpful advice (NOT!)  Maybe she is looser? :rolleyes:   I would get it checked out by a doctor if it is bothersome.  However, if it is just bothersome to your friend and her dh doesn't notice/recognize it as an issue, I am not sure there will be any receptiveness to get checked out. 

To be fair, it's something she notices in her hand as things are happening. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the feeling during the act, but it's definitely much more "malleable," as a PP put it, in the hand. :p

No. My husbands grandfather had heart issues at 27. Died at 37. My husband had issues that he should have paid attention to at 25, and had 3 stents at 35. 

It is never to young to have heart issues. And sometimes there aren't enough signs to worry folks until it is very late. Any blood flow issue should always be checked out. 

My female cousin died of a massive heart attack at 31, no history of heart conditions at all in my family.

Scary. What do you suggest he get tested for? She scheduled him for a physical and he will be getting labwork done. Since she won't be going and this is just something she's mentioned once to him offhand, she doubts it will even come up at all.

He just needs to be screened, at least blood tests. They can put him on a treadmill, but the only real test is a Heart Cath. Most won't schedule that unless there are other issues at his age such as high cholesterol, or family history. For my hubby the first sign was that his fingers would be really cold in winter and turn slightly bluish. For my mom, much older, it was her toes tingling constantly. Some have no warning at all. I wouldn't bet on a heart condition, but it does happen. There are many reasons, he just needs to talk to the doctor, and get some labs done at the very least.

If my dad and step dad at 73 can still have a healthy love life, almost anyone can. You just have to be honest, and try new things. Isn't it amazing what can be done now. I just can't imagine what men went through with early ED, in the old days. I am sure there was much more depression.

Can she schedule a consult with the doctor before he goes, to discuss her concerns for him. I know the HIPPA laws say the doctor can't tell her anything, but he can listen to her.

I believe I have seen that documentary, too. I think the male part was referred to as sort of a canary in a coal mine, sending a warning that other things might be going on in the cardiovascular system.

LOL, now there is a word picture! Anyway, my dh is almost 50 and his issue is stress and not enough sleep. Good day at work, reasonable sleep, the evanroot cranks just fine. Bad day at work combined with up too early and to bed too late, not so great. If I didn't see that pattern in him, you can bet we'd be off to the doc asap.